Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
The Time Before : Discussion and Voting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Time Before
View previous topic :: View next topic  

D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Topics: 103

Items
Legends
10229 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll read the new chapter when I have time...thats a promise... Very Happy
Smee
Revered IFian

Topics: 166

Items
Legends
15311 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poll goes up tomorrow guys.

Last day for ideas.
ethereal_fauna
Perpetually Distracted

Topics: 58

Items
Legends
2907 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Key wrote:
ethereal_fauna wrote:
Exactly, some sort of disturbance either way, so just git while the git'n is good, clean or no.

But if the spell works, there's no disturbance. We get to play it cool and we might find something out. Might as well give it a shot, I say.

If the spell doesn't work? If whatever or whoever interfered with your judgement in the first place, acts again? Then there is a disturbance that you're obviously part of.
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 340

Items
Legends
69488 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 'we' are over-analysing this! Still...

If the thief starts vomiting and whatnot, and Trengin has already legged it to a suitable distance I doubt a city guard is really going to put the two together. Even if they do, they probably won't be bothered enough to search the city from top to bottom, giving themseleves more work in the process.

That said, I still can't decide. Bah. Old age and senility. Mad
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
15311 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, after much discussion (Some of which had to be directed elsewhere Wink ) it seems to basically boil down to two directly opposing options.

Try and stop the thief

Vs

Sod it and leave town

It's a tough one, so you've got an extra day to think about it.

So let the battle begin - who will win Shocked
Shady Stoat
Elder

Topics: 76

Items
Legends
17436 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go for leaving town. He's out to find out what's going on, not to get ambushed. Cool
The Powers That Be
Respected Citizen

Topics: 16

Items
Legends
1777 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop thief! Stop thief!
ethereal_fauna
Perpetually Distracted

Items
Legends
2907 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smee wrote:
Ok, after much discussion (Some of which had to be directed elsewhere Wink ) it seems to basically boil down to two directly opposing options.

Uh, yeah, sorry about that little discussion. *blush*

At any rate, I still say sod it.

Ingrothechundyer

Items

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave town before the trouble starts and try another one.
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
69488 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally made my mind up and voted to risk a spell.
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
15311 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol - with a day to go it's neck and neck.

There's plenty more potential voters out there - come in and make the difference.

Happy Voting. Smile

Last edited by Smee on Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Hyperion

Items

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the bloody thief. Not worth the trouble.
Ingrothechundyer

Items

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!

What do we have in the way of armored ships? Anything that could safely get us inside the shield where our magic could work?
Shady Stoat
Elder

Items
Legends
17436 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh-kaaaay! Shocked

One question. When the mages say they've tried assaulting the bridge with all kinds of magic, does that include magic that they've used on themselves?

I'm thinking particularly of invisibility, illusion, things like that...?
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
15311 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm expecting questions so keep them coming. I knew they'd be many details I hadn't thought of.

Quote:
What do we have in the way of armored ships

The Sempa don't have any ships available here - the river is too far inland to get a large ship upstream from the sea.

That doesn't mean some sort of water based approach isn't an option though.

Quote:
When the mages say they've tried assaulting the bridge with all kinds of magic, does that include magic that they've used on themselves?

I'm thinking particularly of invisibility, illusion, things like that...?

Invisibility wasn't tried, but in these olden times, such a spell hasn't been discovered yet. In modern BttE times it is still rare although a few mages have accomplished it in a multitude of ways, each to varying degrees of success.

Illusions weren't tried - there's an assumption that they'd just fizzle out and disappear on contact with the shield but it could be worth a try.

They only had time to try the direct attack before the red glow gave them away and they had to retreat.
Shady Stoat
Elder

Items
Legends
17436 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underground? Overground? Flight? Tunneling?

*headache coming on...* Very Happy
Key
King

Topics: 207

Items
Legends
7053 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smee wrote:
"You are probably wondering why this has prevented us taking control before now...The bridge was imbued with a powerful magical shield...This circular shield is impervious to any magical forces we have yet conceived and stretches over a wide area."

Now he tells us. Wall Bash

OK, lots of questions and thoughts. First of all, just so that I understand: the shield prevents the passage of magic spells, but we can walk right through it and then cast magic that will affect those inside, right? That's what it seemed like from the report of the attack 1000 years ago. If that's true, the best plan may be to get inside stealthily and then take out the soldiers from the inside as quickly as possible.

In any case, we need to know more about the shield: if we had protective or disguise spells on (maybe a more primitive version of invisibility?), could we go through without the shield disrupting them? I'd also like to know if we've tried any kind of mental magic: for example, could we confuse or entrance the soldiers through the shield (or do those spells even exist?) And of course, we need to know the physical limits of the shield: Does it go below-ground or in the air? Is it a sphere?

What's the timeline on the attack? Can we do additional researches on the shield if we need to?

Next, we need to know the capabilities of the mages, particularly the water-mage. Can he do something that will allow us to breathe underwater? If so, we might want to go in via the river. How much water can he create? Could he flood the bridge, drowning the soldiers or forcing them outside the shield?

Protective magics are also going to be key. If we're going to do battle inside the shield, close to the soldiers, we're going to need magic that will keep their attacks at bay until we can finish them off. There are hundreds and we can't count on being able to see every arrow-shot like we did before, so we'll going to need some kind of armor magic that will ward off arrows and sword-blows. Are there magical artifacts in this world, like a cloak or ring or protection?

A fire mage is probably not too useful for attacking a river encampment. What else do we have? Anyone who can cast a silence or darkness spell? What about scrying or far-seeing? Death spells would be nice given the "kill but do not destroy" aspect of this mission. How about conjured monsters? Could they pass through the shield?

If we can pull this off, great glory will be ours. :twisted:
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
15311 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
First of all, just so that I understand: the shield prevents the passage of magic spells, but we can walk right through it and then cast magic that will affect those inside, right?

Correct Smile Basically once you are through the barrier it's the same as a town. Death everywhere. Surprised

Quote:
if we had protective or disguise spells on (maybe a more primitive version of invisibility?), could we go through without the shield disrupting them? I'd also like to know if we've tried any kind of mental magic: for example, could we confuse or entrance the soldiers through the shield (or do those spells even exist?) And of course, we need to know the physical limits of the shield: Does it go below-ground or in the air? Is it a sphere?

Disguise spells are much the same as illusion. Illusions are untested against the shield (see earlier comment).

Mental magic is pretty much restricted to music based mages like Jakeen in modern day BttE - the sound creeping into the mind to effect it. The Sempa don't have any mages with a gift for music.

However, Norral will know of such magics and could always appeal to his team to give it a try. The sound would pass the shield, but whether the magic in the sound would be stopped is untested.

The shield is a full dome - reaching above the height of the keep.

The field squad got an idea of the height by hitting it with a bolt of lightning - it came from the sky and hit the highest point.

It extends to the waterbed but whether it goes underground is unknown. Every stone has the magics in them though, including the foundations - it could well be protected.

Quote:
What's the timeline on the attack? Can we do additional researches on the shield if we need to?

The faster the more impressed the Elders will be. There's no reason you can't attack and retreat a few times to try and get some ideas. But be warned, Captain Hunt isn't likely to sit there whilst you experiment.

Quote:
Next, we need to know the capabilities of the mages, particularly the water-mage. Can he do something that will allow us to breathe underwater? If so, we might want to go in via the river. How much water can he create? Could he flood the bridge, drowning the soldiers or forcing them outside the shield?

The water mage has spent all his life studying the flow of water. He can't help with underwater breathing, and he doesn't manifest water, but manipulate it. He could probably do some interesting things, but it's doubtful he could flood the whole bridge.

The other mages are all experts at killing - anything similar to the sorts of deaths described in Chapter 2 are available to them. The same applies to a lesser degree to the sorts of spells you've seen in BttE - although cruder.

Quote:
Protective magics are also going to be key. If we're going to do battle inside the shield, close to the soldiers, we're going to need magic that will keep their attacks at bay until we can finish them off. There are hundreds and we can't count on being able to see every arrow-shot like we did before, so we'll going to need some kind of armor magic that will ward off arrows and sword-blows. Are there magical artifacts in this world, like a cloak or ring or protection?

As you will have noted from the research - commiting two mages to a shield will protect all 12 of you from arrows so long as you don't stray apart.

If you want to split the group to attack from multiple places, then shielding will get more complicated.

A shield can't pass through the barrier shield either. It will be disrupted like any magical force. If you want to pass through then you have to do so vulnerable and quickly recast a shield once you are through.

Magical artifacts can be found in the world, but you don't really have time for an extended mission to try and find a artifact that helps with shielding. If the Sempa had one available the Leader would have given it to you.

Quote:
What else do we have? Anyone who can cast a silence or darkness spell? What about scrying or far-seeing? Death spells would be nice given the "kill but do not destroy" aspect of this mission. How about conjured monsters? Could they pass through the shield?

Silence would probably hinder any of your team that use mainly vocal runes - but such a spell is possible.

Darkness is certainly possible - but again will hinder your team as it will effect an area regardless of who's in it.

Far-seeing isn't possible, if you want to scout around you will have to do it the old fashioned way.

Death spells have already been covered - the heart exploding in chest spell causes death pretty quickly, but you'll probably be looking for more wide ranging kills otherwise your team will run out of energy before they run out of men.

Conjuring monsters is magic in it's infancy. The Leader is reputed to be the most accomplished at spells of this nature, having spent much of his life studying in this field. Common mages, including Norral can't do such things.

Some excellent thoughts - thanks Key.

Happy Planning. Very Happy
Ingrothechundyer

Items

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about building a raft enclosed with logs. The fire mage and water mage could work together to burn the logs to the right size then they could be assembled by everyone. It should be big enough to go halfway through the shield with the water mage staying inside the raft on the other side ready to pull the raft out if needed.
Shady Stoat
Elder

Items
Legends
17436 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I understanding correctly in thinking that two of the Mages that helped draw the map - you know, the one with the convenient ink smudge - are possible members of our team?

If I'm correct, surely they'd know what the south-bank-of-the-river smudge-feature was before we made a mess of it?
Key
King

Items
Legends
7053 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smee wrote:
The faster the more impressed the Elders will be. There's no reason you can't attack and retreat a few times to try and get some ideas. But be warned, Captain Hunt isn't likely to sit there whilst you experiment.

No, he sounds like a dangerous opponent. We're going to have to take him by surprise in one battle - we don't want him to know what we're thinking of. But if there are things we need to know and we can spy them out without being detected, it might be worthwhile.

Smee wrote:
The water mage has spent all his life studying the flow of water. He can't help with underwater breathing, and he doesn't manifest water, but manipulate it. He could probably do some interesting things, but it's doubtful he could flood the whole bridge.

If he can manipulate water, can he keep it moved to the sides underwater to maintain a bubble of air around us?

If he can, or if there's some other way we can exist underwater, we can walk up the riverbed at night, swim through the shield and cast our own shield and disguise spells where no one can see us, and then emerge and start killing.

One problem with that idea is that since we have to stick together for safety, it will be hard to make sure that none of the enemy escape. There are a lot of them and they can run away in lots of directions, so it will be hard to hunt them all down. We could keep some mages outside the shield to stop the survivors, but that will make our main force weaker and will also risk the ones who are split off, since they wouldn't be shielded. Can we create some kind of magical wall or trap outside the shield? How long could we make that kind of spell last?

Some thoughts on a completely different kind of plan: what if we created or levitated some dangerous objects over the bridge, and then dropped them? Burning trees, boiling oil, acid, poisonous snakes - these would all fall right through the shield as long as they weren't magical, right? Maybe we should think about dropping something in there to soften the soldiers up, and then walking in and finishing the job.
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
69488 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done Smee.

Okay then...

Essentially the problem is that magic can't penetrate the shield, but also the bridge is resistant to spells.

The main objective is to kill everyone inside. SO a few approaches suggest themselves:

1. Lure as many of the soldiers OUTSIDE as you can, by some means (lure, decoy, dunno) and kill them there.

2. Stealth and cunning: Cut off their supplies. How long can they survive in there? In fact you wouldn't have to cut them off until they all starved, but just to weaken them. Probably not the best thing as it would take too long. HOWEVER you should isolate them some time before the attack.

3. If spells won't work try something else. Disease, fire etc attached to a boudler and fired through would still work maybe?

4. I had the same idea as Key, get the mages in underwater (still maybe possible) and then attack from inside as usual.

5. Another way in maybe would be to kill a squad of re-enforcements on their way into the bridge, disguise the mages (non-magically) and once inside let loose the dragons of war.

Probably a combination of the above, in some form, would work best. If you get the troops inside though, make sure you cover the exits to prevent any escaping.

How is the shield powered? Maybe you could sneak one man/mage inside and de-activate the thing?

Finally, the report suggests there is a way to use magic through the shield. Any way of finding out how they did it last time?

Phew.
Shocked
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Topics: 103

Items
Legends
10229 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good chapter. We could distract them by having one mage shoot some firebolts or something from far away. When they see the red thing, they will rush to that side, leaving the rest of the team clear to walk inside and do their thing. Going on what Key said, we could drop a huge boulder when they don't expect it and kill a large number.
ethereal_fauna
Perpetually Distracted

Items
Legends
2907 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, what you don’t know can hurt you, so track down the members of that test squad and find out what the smudged map features hold. From there assess the situation further.

If you get inside the shield then you can use your magic (from the diary)
The weakest areas open along the waterway (from the map) although with archers that is only a small advantage. Might be better to stay off the water and on solid ground, allowing more maneuverability.
Depending on their stores (over a year of food!) starving them out most likely isn’t a viable option. Neither is anything that might destroy the bridge. Unleashing some sort of poisonous creatures or attack will also hinder you in the end, probably making the effort more difficult for you without necessarily weakening them.
You don’t want to attack as a cluster, grouped under a shield. That reduces your force to one large target instead several smaller but deadly ones. Foolish to set your team up to get wiped out with one blow. Also, as Key mentioned, the potential for some of the soldiers to escape exists.

Who could get inside and attempt to disable the shield? If it can be reactivated, then it can certainly be deactivated again. I’m sure the secret is tightly kept, and if the Sempa had someone in a position to find out they would have already done so and availed you the knowledge.

You want to assemble a well-rounded team. Specializations are crucial and favor an attack more than undefined skills, and with twelve members your team should easily encompass those who will provide attacking force and those who will provide supportive efforts. Something else to consider: hire mercenaries to go inside the shield and engage in hand-to-hand combat. Many people will do the wrong things for the right price, and since they are expendable you can always eliminate them after the deal is done. A strike team inside the shield will open a window for your mages to get inside.

I like the idea of levitating burning logs or rocks over the bridge and dropping them in. Combining such an attack with an onslaught of hired mercenaries should adequately distract the soldiers inside and allow your mages to sneak in through the shield in varied locations, and from that point regroup and do what they do best.

Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
15311 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now we are getting somewhere.

Some very good thoughts there. Very Happy
Key
King

Items
Legends
7053 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ethereal_fauna wrote:
First off, what you don’t know can hurt you, so track down the members of that test squad and find out what the smudged map features hold. From there assess the situation further.

Definitely agree with this.

ethereal_fauna wrote:
You don’t want to attack as a cluster, grouped under a shield. That reduces your force to one large target instead several smaller but deadly ones. Foolish to set your team up to get wiped out with one blow.

I don't agree with this. The leader has made it clear that we can't have even one casualty. The best chance to avoid that is to remain together under heavy magical shielding. If we split up there are more targets for the soldiers and shielding is much more difficult (which may also mean we have less offensive force, since we have to devote more mages for shielding).

We might need to split up to prevent the soldiers from escaping. But if we can hem them in with magical walls or traps, or if we have some mages whose magic allows them to chase or track easily, it's better to do that and stay together.

ethereal_fauna wrote:
You want to assemble a well-rounded team. Specializations are crucial and favor an attack more than undefined skills, and with twelve members your team should easily encompass those who will provide attacking force and those who will provide supportive efforts.

Agree with this too. But we may not have too much variety to choose from. There's no invisibility, mental magic, or summoning. Transformation magic might be helpful (wouldn't it be easy to swim up the river as fish?), although only if the transformation held when you passed through the shield, which is questionable.

It looks like we'll have both physical offense and defense, though, which are useful. Healing might be nice too, just in case, but I don't know if our people study that.

ethereal_fauna wrote:
Something else to consider: hire mercenaries to go inside the shield and engage in hand-to-hand combat.

It's an interesting idea, but I don't think we should do it for two reasons:

- It's risky. Trying to arrange payment and recruit soldiers is something that could easily draw attention to us. And the mercs can't be depended on - just as they would join us for a price, they could also sell us out for a price. If this captain is smart (and he seems to be) he's got spies in the surrounding towns paid to let him know of any unusual activity. Just traveling to the area as a group we run the risk of detection. If we try to recruit an army, the risk is much, much greater.

- We're the Sempa. The whole point of our attacks is to terrorize the enemy and overwhelm him with the power of our magic. If word gets around that we had to pay soldiers to help us fight, it undermines the impact of the victory.
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
15311 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - a fair amount of business to get through...

First off, the poll is closed on Trengin's spot of trouble. You have decided to attempt to stop the thief before he causes a disturbance.

The result of your vote will form Chapter 5; due out Tuesday 15th November.

Now back to the current chapter...

Quote:
If I'm correct, surely they'd know what the south-bank-of-the-river smudge-feature was before we made a mess of it?

They sure do - and others have suggested seeking them out as an urgent first call.

Quote:
How about building a raft enclosed with logs. The fire mage and water mage could work together to burn the logs to the right size then they could be assembled by everyone. It should be big enough to go halfway through the shield with the water mage staying inside the raft on the other side ready to pull the raft out if needed.

There's a good idea in there somewhere. Elaborate a little and I'll make it a poll option. Very Happy

Quote:
If he can manipulate water, can he keep it moved to the sides underwater to maintain a bubble of air around us?

You've never met him, so you just don't know this level of detail. From your own knowledge of water magics it seems impossible, but he's the specialist.

Quote:
Can we create some kind of magical wall or trap outside the shield? How long could we make that kind of spell last?

Yes - a magical wall is very feasible. Norral himself is pretty good at them, using two walls to squash the life out of a group of children most effectively.

A single mage could create a wall in front of himself extending sideways about 100 metres either side, and hold it fairly easily for about an hour; two would see him on the edge of exhaustion.

The inherent magic property of the wall means it can't be used as a shield against arrows. It only blocks slow moving things like people. Anything moving faster than the average person can throw would pass through unrestrained.

Shields work in reverse, preventing fast moving and (fast or slow) magical attacks but can't prevent someone walking through. The size is significantly smaller though - a radius of about 15 metres.

Which is why two mages are required to adequately provide a shield against all attacks for the whole group.

A group of three mages would be able to move as a single unit capable of attacking whilst being completely shielded, but no smaller without some sacrifice to shielding.

A single mage can shield himself, and, if it is concentrated to a small area just around himself, he can cast both a wall and a shield at the same time. His attack capabilites will be severly restricted though. Again about 2 hours at most.

Quote:
what if we created or levitated some dangerous objects over the bridge, and then dropped them? Burning trees, boiling oil, acid, poisonous snakes - these would all fall right through the shield as long as they weren't magical, right? Maybe we should think about dropping something in there to soften the soldiers up, and then walking in and finishing the job.

Great idea - one of the few of these multitude of thoughts I actually had myself.

No reason why you'd have to rely on gravity for your speed. It might be worth attempting to accelerate it with magic and see if that gets through.

Quote:
1. Lure as many of the soldiers OUTSIDE as you can, by some means (lure, decoy, dunno) and kill them there.

What might lure them out? It's a great idea if you can, but you'd need to completely convince them there are no mages around to get them to leave their magic protection. And fool Captain Hunt. Shocked

Quote:
Cut off their supplies. How long can they survive in there? In fact you wouldn't have to cut them off until they all starved, but just to weaken them. Probably not the best thing as it would take too long. HOWEVER you should isolate them some time before the attack.

Not feasible. They have far too many supplies and a water supply.

Quote:
5. Another way in maybe would be to kill a squad of re-enforcements on their way into the bridge, disguise the mages (non-magically) and once inside let loose the dragons of war.

Possible.

Quote:
How is the shield powered? Maybe you could sneak one man/mage inside and de-activate the thing?

Entirely possible. However it could be a simple switch, or it could be a 5 hour ceremony, requiring incantations read from whichever source Captain Hunt found out about the Shield. You don't know.

Quote:
We could distract them by having one mage shoot some firebolts or something from far away. When they see the red thing, they will rush to that side, leaving the rest of the team clear to walk inside and do their thing

It's not that big a bridge. There are more than enough men everywhere without them having to rush anywhere at the first sign of trouble. It'd have to be one hell of a distraction. Shocked

Quote:
Healing might be nice too, just in case, but I don't know if our people study that.

Nothing more than a bruise.

I think that covers most of it...

Happy Plotting. Smile
The Powers That Be
Respected Citizen

Topics: 16

Items
Legends
1777 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On walls/shields: is one of them impermeable to air? We could use projectiles to start a fire, then create a wall surrounding their shield (how big a wall could 13 of us make?) and let them asphyxiate in there.
ethereal_fauna
Perpetually Distracted

Items
Legends
2907 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, scrap the hired hands then, and lets go with our baker's dozen of mages.

All we have to do is get inside that magical barrier and then the soldiers are toast. Let's get our mages together, earth and wind...think something like the mega sandstorm in the movie The Mummy. With a massive wall of sand in front of us to conceal our approach, we don't have fear of archers engaging us. We walk through the barrier following our protective sandstorm, and once inside kick their asses. :biggrin:

Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
69488 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ethereal_fauna wrote:
Okay, scrap the hired hands then, and lets go with our baker's dozen of mages.

All we have to do is get inside that magical barrier and then the soldiers are toast. Let's get our mages together, earth and wind...think something like the mega sandstorm in the movie The Mummy. With a massive wall of sand in front of us to conceal our approach, we don't have fear of archers engaging us. We walk through the barrier following our protective sandstorm, and once inside kick their asses. :biggrin:

Brute force approach. Simple and easy. I like it.
Key
King

Items
Legends
7053 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Powers That Be wrote:
On walls/shields: is one of them impermeable to air? We could use projectiles to start a fire, then create a wall surrounding their shield (how big a wall could 13 of us make?) and let them asphyxiate in there.

Great idea! A variation: we dam up the river with a wall that's impervious to water, and drown them.

ethereal_fauna wrote:
Let's get our mages together, earth and wind...think something like the mega sandstorm in the movie The Mummy. With a massive wall of sand in front of us to conceal our approach, we don't have fear of archers engaging us. We walk through the barrier following our protective sandstorm, and once inside kick their asses.

That's good, too. We can't create the sandstorm through the shield, but as long as we start the wind outside, it should blow the sand through and still obscure their vision.
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
15311 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A variation: we dam up the river with a wall that's impervious to water, and drown them.

A normal wall would hold the non-moving water. However, the constant pressure from the huge weight would drain a mage in a few minutes. Combined a few could hold for longer, but they'd be effectively down and out for the rest of the battle.

However, if it works well you wouldn't need them.

A risk, like anything else.
Key
King

Items
Legends
7053 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smee wrote:
A normal wall would hold the non-moving water. However, the constant pressure from the huge weight would drain a mage in a few minutes.

What about the original idea? Can we make a wall that's impervious to air?
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
15311 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Neither, as both are usually used to protect mages - and air is needed.

A force to seal out air is possible, quite a nasty way to kill someone if you have the time. 13 of you would be able to create a shield big enough to cover the entire shield, but you'd have to be standing in the middle of the bridge to cast it. You can't project it that far ahead of you.

Another possibility would to spread the mages in a circle around the bridge (meaning half would have to cross the river) and then you could do it.

But, if you wanted to stop the soldiers just running out of the air bubble, you'd need an equal sized wall.
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
15311 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The poll goes up tomorrow.

Last call for ideas, thoughts and plans.

Happy Planning Smile
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
15311 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poll is now up - you have until the end of Sunday to vote.

Some options are for likely to work than others, so read through the discussion and choose wisely.

May the attack go well. Smile

Happy Voting.
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
69488 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted for the sandstorm option. I like it 'cos it is simple and easy, a bit like me! Shocked
Key
King

Items
Legends
7053 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really like any of these Sad

I think first order of business is to find out what's on that map that we smudged. And I still think going in underwater is the best idea. If we have the magic to create a wall that will dam up the river, we ought to be able to create a wall that will preserve a bubble of air around us.

Given the choices, I picked creating a water craft. We need to be stealthy, and going via the water is the best way to do that. The sandstorm is going to be seen ahead of time, and that will give them time to anticipate and react, not to mention that they might have laid traps at the entrances. Besides, what's to prevent them from running away? In a sandstorm, we wouldn't be able to see them or cut off their escape.
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
15311 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've added a new option.

If either of you want to change your vote then let me know. If only one of you (Key) wants to change then I'll use my vote to choose that option and we can discount one from the option you chose.

As far as the smudge - I think it's universal that everyone wants to know what it is, and Norral will make that a priority to find out.
Key
King

Items
Legends
7053 Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks Very Happy

I'd like to change my vote to the underwater entry.

How does Norral answer the guard?
Humbly deny all knowledge of any Sempa?
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
Explain that your fire was throwing up a lot of sparks last night? Easily mistaken for fireballs at a distance.
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Sempa killed your family. You're heading straight to the Capital to complain and demand recompense?
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Author option (DO NOT USE)
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7
Who Voted: algu95, Chinaren, D-Lotus, DeadManWalking, Key, Reiso, Smee

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Time Before All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 3 of 16
Jump to: