Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
The Hangover - Working Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: The Hangover - Working Thread Reply with quote

Note: This thread is where the co-authors of the Hangover submitted their original work. From here their work was edited together in a Final Version thread. The finished version is Here

Welcome to the Hangover. Very Happy

If this one ever gets past the Review Board, it's expected destination would most likely be the experimental section of Jester Park. 'Cos it's not exactly your normal style story game - and it's not a rpg either, but it's still interactive. The quality of writing and the story is as good as you, me or anyone makes it, so we all have to make it work if it's going to get shifted out of here Wink

How to contribute:

1. Read the previous posts carefully. When posting, limit your contribution to 250 words at the most. This helps other contributors keep a handle on continuity.

2. NO uber characters please.

3. If you spot a continuity blooper, dont worry about it. Weave it in with your next post. Makes for a more interesting story.

4. If two people submit a post simultaneosly, the one that got in first wins - the other will have to rewrite. If the posting is so fast and furious, that those with slow internet connections cant get a post in edgeways, we will operate a post reservation policy but I wont explain how that works unless it is needed.

5. Post as frequently as you like - just dont post two submissions in succession.

Okay... here we go.... Very Happy

Last edited by Crunchyfrog on Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hangover

Chapter 1 - The Labyrinth and the Well

It had been a marvelous New Years party. The skies above the City of If had been ablaze fireworks popping above the decorated streets, the great spires of the municipal buildings shimmering in the light. Throughout the evening long and tall tales had been told from the vaults, grand speeches had been given by the King, Mayor, and many of the normally quieter souls inhabiting the city had come out into the streets, to party the night away.

But that seemed a distant fuzzy memory now, as Crunchyfrog dangled dangerously from a tree root that protruded near the top of a cliff face, some distance from the city. Hanging by both hands, he stared out to the horizon, where he could see the spires in the mist, as the sun began to rise. Something didn't look right. He thought he could see smoke hanging over the whole city. Everything looked dull, not gleaming like it did when he came upon it for the first time a month ago. Something had happened after he blacked out at the party.

He had no idea how he'd got here now. Looking down, there was a narrow ledge about 10 feet below him, then a sheer drop of several hundred feet below that. On the ledge lay a figure, who was beginning to stir. He recognised the groans as coming from one of his new IFian friends...

OK, the next person, just jump right on in, and continue the story!

Last edited by Crunchyfrog on Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Topics: 13

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masterweaver had not attended the festivities, as he was busy with his storygames. However, he had noted the crowd rushing toward the gorge on the northern side of Fantasy Forest and the southern side of Jester Park. he had decided to investagate the next day.

"Crunchyfrog? Is there any particular reason you're hanging down there?"

"I'm not really sure..."

Masterweaver sighed. "Hold on, I've caught a pegasus, I might be able to get you out."

"Why do you have that?"

"It's for my new show, Mythbiology. Careful now, she's not very tame-"
| |
\//\\/ ?
| \ |
| ||| \ /
|,||| ,|| \/

Last edited by Masterweaver on Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masterweaver's last statement was very accurate. As he took hold of the makeshift bridle, the Peg turned around, lifted its tail and dropped a load over the cliff, narrowly missing the two precariously placed IFians. Masterweaver attempted to cajole the animal into allowing him to mount it, but it reared up and shook its head menacingly.

"Wait...there's someone else down here too, who's not quite conscious, either..." shouted Crunchyfrog. “I recognise the voice somehow as being from someone who lives in the City, but am not sure who it is, yet. If I let go of this tree root, I'll land on him/her, and possibly make any injuries worse. And I can't get both of us on to the Peg's back as it flies by, not from this position. The ledge is far too narrow, and I'm not confident about lifting a person who may even be heavier than me.”

Masterweaver stopped.

"Hmmm." he said. "I see what you mean."

Masterweaver stared down at Crunchyfrog hanging from the tree root, and the other IFian, lying on the ledge 10 feet further down.
"Maybe a bit of rope might be more sensible... I could get the Peg to help pull you up instead..... Hey, Crunch, why have you got a huge piece of rolled up parchment stuffed down the back of your pants?"

"I don’t know, I didn't put it there!" yelled Crunchyfrog. "Now, about that rope..."

Masterweaver stood up and looked around for something that might do the job....

Last edited by Crunchyfrog on Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Fine time to have a big bird object to being ridden," muttered Masterweaver to himself.

Out loud, he called, "That parchment looks really long! Can we use it as a rope?"

"We could if I could reach it!" came Crunchyfrog's voice from below.

"Oh. Hold on!"

The black leather robe let himself fall onto the ledge below Crunchyfrog.

"Right," said Masterweaver. "You drop, I'll catch you, and we'll use that parchment as a rope, agreed?"

"What about the Peg?" asked Crunchyfrog.

"It's flown off." grumbled Masterweaver. "Now I'll have to catch it all over again. Ah well. Ready? One, two three-"

THUMP!!!

"Sorry, was I supposed to wait until 'go'?"

"Oh, no prob," said Masterweaver, dusting himself off. "This parchment is certianly long enough to use as a rope. You got a grappling hook?"

"No..." Crunchyfrog shrugged.
| |
\//\\/ ?
| \ |
| ||| \ /
|,||| ,|| \/
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Topics: 103

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-Lotus groaned, fluctuating between consciousness and a deep ensnaring darkness. He could detect shouts somewhere above him, but they seemed distant and dimming. He was holding on to a protruding rock on the edge of a ledge, using all his strength to persevere. He could feel a biting cold around his dangling legs and feet. All his muscles were tensed and tired, but he mustered a cry of help towards the heavens.

He couldn't remember why he was here, or who had placed him in this precarious position. The last thing D had contemplated was his office, and grabbing his coat to join the celebration outside. He remembered the oaken door with a fuzzy rectangle of glass incrusted in it's middle, and the words reading:

D-Lotus
Private Investigator

What case had he been working on? D couldn't remember. Leaving the office, putting his coat on, and then a white flash- that's all.
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Topics: 173

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rai was winging through the skies above the city when, looking down, she spied Crunchyfrog and Masterweaver attempting to rescue a dangling D-Lotus. With a neat flip of her wings, Rai descended down, landing above and behind them. She pulled the large lampshade off of her head and, reaching down with her tail, neatly lifted D-Lotus to solid ground.

"Don't party if you can't hold your own. I've got to be going gentlemen, and robe. Enjoy the day." With that Rai launched herself upward again.

"Music makes you braver."
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that was lucky. They were evidently blessed with some luck; whether it was good or bad, Crunchyfrog was not quite sure. He considered the last few moments.... The escaping Peg hitting Masterweaver, who landed on the ledge without touching the unconcious IFian. Then Masterweaver turning the person over, causing his legs to dangle over the edge. Then the unknown IFian being shoved back on the ledge by the tail of a passing dragon named Rai....

The shafts of morning light slowly began to move onto the ledge and finally Masterweaver was able to get a good look at him.
"Hey, it's D-Lotus!" he exclaimed.
"D-Lotus!"
Crunchyfrog nearly toppled off the ledge in surprise, but Masterweaver pulled him back.
"D-Lotus, are you okay?" asked Crunchyfrog.

D-Lotus groaned, opened his eyes momentarily and closed them again. Was that Crunchyfrog in front of him? AND Masterweaver? What was Masterweaver doing to one of the parchment scrolls from the City's Hall of Legends?

He tried to point and tell Masterweaver to stop mangling the precious scroll but was still recovering his senses.

Crunchyfrog stood up and put his hand on Masterweavers shoulder.
"Wait, I think he's trying to say something." he said.
Masterweaver leaned on the cliff wall, as the shafts of sunlight continued to move across it. Then he simply fell through it, as a section of the rock slid downwards, revealing a tunnel within.
BStheGreat
Citizen

Topics: 6

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BStheGreat stood in the distance, his figure hidden from view behind a large willow tree and his solid black eyes grasping the scene before him. He was kneeling down with his right hand resting against the staff of his bow, and his left hand tossing feeling the soft soil beneath the root of the tree. As silently as a cat about to strike, he stood up and grabbed an arrow from the quiver over shoulder. It was a simple wood arrow made with an iron head, although a violet colored ribbon lay tied to it.

"Your life is safe today D-Lotus," BS said to himself. "But you are a marked man, and I shall not forget what you did to me. Your life may be over sooner than you think."

With that BStheGreat loosed an arrow, and listened to it whistle as it soared through the air. With near perfect accuracy, the arrow landed just in front of the crowd of three, and before the assailant could be identified, BS descended into the night.

_____

D-Lotus' attention shifted from the parchment scroll in Masterweaver's hand to the arrow now dug in the ground. What in the world is going on, he thought to himself. Is this connected to my last case?

D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally the world was becoming clearer and sharper. In front of him, D-Lotus could see Crunchyfrog and Masterweaver. Something red and scaly had answered his call to heaven and somehow dropped him to safety. D tremblingly got up and rested against a tree while the two Ifians started raising their voices.

"What is it?" Asked D, extenuated.

A muffled cry reached out from a black hole in the cliff wall.

"I found a tunnel!"

A tunnel? Didn't D's investigation have something to do with tunnels..? And what about the City Hall parchment scroll?

There was something like a sizzle in the air or an angry whistle and an arrow burrowed itself at D's feet. D looked around, but there was only a dead silence everywhere. Suddenly a change overcame D-Lotus and he sprung to balance. A plot...tunnels...arrows... it was something he had been investigating, except he couldn't remember what. He warily made his way closer to the other two for protection, although it seemed the assailer had left. Well, better find out where that tunnel led to- maybe it witheld the answer to this mystery.

"Let's get a torch." said D.
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back at the Council Hall Rai was surprised to find it a flurry of action. Grabbing one of the small, furry orange things that Chinaren had hired to do the fetch and carry work, she demanded to know what was going on.

"It seems that sometime last night, an unknown person, or persons, stole the Master Map of the City. The Mayor and King are both rather upset about it, since that Map is the only one with the location of...er...things." Rai had to take her time with the creature to get it to divulge exactly what the map showed. Her eyes went wide.

"Sweet DM in the sky! They have the location to the Soul Well?" The creature glumly nodded. After the Mass exorcisim that expunged the soulless IFians the excess soul power had to go somewhere, thus the Soul Well had been created. Now, some mad Ifian had that info. "I've got to do something."

D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tunnel was dark, earthy and scary; in addition it was filled with spiderwebs and scurrying sounds. Crunchyfrog was holding the quickly manufactured torch in her hand. It consisted of a piece of garment rolled around the end of a branch lit on fire. Consequently, there was a large rip in Masterweaver's undershirt.

"Where are we going?" asked Masterweaver.

"I'm not sure. Here, let me see that parchment." said D-Lotus.

Masterweaver reluctantly handed the brittle paper to D, who held it under the torch light. There seemed to be some kind of magical quality to it, as it wasn't defined by any size- it kept changing. The picture that D opened up began changing as well. It slowly transformed into the map of a miriad of tunnels. A red arrow began creeping through the map, indicating a path towards the convergence of all the tunnels.

"This way." pointed D, as Crunchyfrog and Masterweaver followed him speculatively.
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should go that way," said D.

"I don't think that tunnel's on the map," replied Crunchy.

Masterweaver glanced at the map, then at the tunnel.

"GET DOWN!" he cried suddenly.

"What? It's not like there's going to be a cave-in??" said D.

As if on queue, the tunnel exploded, which was seemed impossible as it was an empty space. Everyone fell to the ground.
| |
\//\\/ ?
| \ |
| ||| \ /
|,||| ,|| \/
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rai had been flying over the city, almost frantic to spot something that would lead her to the map, even though it was a billion to one that she would. She was gliding over Games when an explosion boiled upward from below. Twitching a scaley eyebrow she plunged downward, switching on a momentary intangibility spell. She found herself in a rubble filled tunnel confronting a very odd bunch.

Masterwaver, Crunchyfrog, and D-Lotus stared back at her, covered in dust and rubble. Rai shook her head, she'd just left them! "I'm gone for a moment and you three managed to ruin a major section of the city." Only then noticing the parchment held in D-Lotus's hand she reached out and snatched it up.

"What! You stole the map!?"

Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I didn't steal it. He did!" said D- Lotus, pointing at Masterweaver, since the first time he'd seen it was when Masterweaver was trying to make a rope out of it.

"I didn't steal it. He did!" cried Masterweaver, pointing at Crunchyfrog, since when he had first seen it, it was stuffed down the back of Crunchyfrog's pants.

Kalanna turned on the newbie.
"And how exactly did YOU come by the map?" she asked.

"Er... uhhh... well.... I have no idea.." Crunchyfrog replied. "You see, I was at the New Years Party, in the City, and then all of a sudden there was a flash, and I blacked out, and then I was hanging from a tree root at the top of that cliff, with er, this parchment stuffed down my butt..."

"The same white flash I experienced?" muttered D-Lotus. "I ended up here several feet below you. Strange. What about you, Masterweaver?"

"I didn't go to the party." replied Masterweaver. I was a good boy, and concentrated on my storygames. I spent the night out hunting for specimens for my Mythbiology game. I caught a Pegasus, which I have now gone and lost trying to rescue you guys...."

"But did you see anything unusual?"

"A huge flash of lightning from the City, and then just about everyone running from it, towards the gorge, on the northern side of Fantasy Forest and out to the southern side of Jester Park..."

"And what about you, Kalanna. What were your experiences?" asked D, as he picked up the arrow, with the violet ribbon, which had amazingly survived the explosion.
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rai glared at them. "Oh do you mean Smee's fireworks? I know they got a little out of hand but really...running in terror?" Of course Rai had had a lampshade over her eyes for most of the evening. The flash hadn't really affected her. "But now come to think of it...Smee was finished by that time...humm."

Still she had the map, although thinking of it as froggy toilet paper made her handle it with talon tips, her job was done. "Well I think that the three of you have been...hey lemme see that. Her tail flicked the purple ribboned arrow up to her eyes for closer inspection. Taking an unabashed sniff she growled a bit.

"I'm afraid one of you has a BS problem." The entire party instantly turned their gazes upon Masterweaver who held up his hands in a defensive gesture. The dragon sighed. "Not that kind of BS problem, I'm talking BS the Great, although what you could have done to him is beyond me. I'd watch where you step for a while."

Remuttering the intangibilty spell Rai turned one large copper eye on them. "I've got what I came for and had better return it to the Council Hall before China has a coronary...remember, watch your backs." With that she took flight, leaving the three puzzled Ifians to figure their own way out while she returned the Map.

Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Watch your backs? Is that it?" said Crunchyfrog incredulously, as he watched Kalanna disappear back towards the rather lifeless looking city centre, still enshrouded with a strange fog of smoke. "She takes away the one piece of information we might need to get ourselves back to safety, and tells us to watch our backs?"

"Something tells me there was information on that parchment we were not supposed to see. Something privvy to moderators and other City dignatories." mused D-Lotus. "It's return to the City vaults is obviously much more important than our personal safety right now..."

"Something tells me that whoever swiped that parchment, thought it would be very funny to plant it down the back of my pants, and then place you and I in a predicament from which we could not escape, for whatever reason. And right now they think we're still there, incapacitated. And if it's that important a document, they're going to be coming back for us, thinking we've still got it." said Crunchyfrog.

"BS The Great?" ventured Masterweaver.
"Maybe." replied D-Lotus. "Who knows. We'd better move on"

They climbed over the rubble and headed further into the labyrinth.
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tunnel opened up suddenly, into a large cavity full of stalactites and frosting. D tried to cover himself from the cold with his arms. Crunchyfrog's hot breath turned into steam. Throughout the cavern there was an innumerable number of small pools, large enough for a man to jump into. They seemed shallow, but it was impossible to tell the depth because they were covered in a film of cloudy swirls.

"What is this place?" asked Masterweaver, staring around in bewilderment.

"It's obviously the convergence of all the tunnels." D said, pointing at all the other tunnel openings throughout the cavern.

"That's strange. I was sure we got lost and weren't following the red arrow in the map at all." Crunchyfrog reflected.

"You're right." said D, furrowing his brows. "Which means either of two things: one, that there is more than one path to this cavern, or two, that the map is wrong."

"Well, the map only showed one possible path, so it has to be wrong anyway in case the first option is true." Crunchyfrog elucidated.

"So the map is a phony! A fake! Thats why it was planted in your pocket, to lead us to a false route. We need to tell Kalanna about this urgently..." D was concluding, when suddenly Masterweaver began yelling and scrabbling back from one of the pools where he had wandered to. But it resulted ineffective, and he was suddenly yanked into the pool where he dissapeared while D and Crunchyfrog stared in amazement. The last thing they saw was his hand, attempting to hold on to the floor of the cavern before it was swallowed by the cloudy pool.

"Now what?" asked D.
Sasuke
Resident

Topics: 2

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"We get the hell out of here." said Sasuke as he came out of his hiding spot behind a spire by the pool where Masterweaver had been sucked in. "We'll need help to get him back. Has anything changed in If in six years?"

Crunchy and D stared for a moment as they took in the question.
D was the first to speak.
"Uh, where have you been the last six years?" he asked.
Sasuke was appauled, thinking: "He can't figure that out?" but then spoke quickly and calmly as possible.
"In here," he replied.
"Well... what did you eat?" asked Crunchy, surprised.
"Mushrooms." replied Sasuke, smiling.
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before they could question Sasuke any more, D and Crunchyfrog both contemplated the appearance of a hand in Masterweaver's robe, and knew that something didn't seem right. Things started to look unreal...

Suddenly, exploding from the pond came a grey seven headed hydra with the wet cloth that was Masterweaver, held in the rightmost maw.

Slowly, the middle head intoned an ancient spell.

"Blizzard Games Incorperated World Of Warcraft."

Spinning from the the caves, a portal zoomed closer. Crunchyfrog and Sasuke jumped away. D, however, appeared to be consumed before he could turn around.

"Nintendo Games Metroid Fusion."

Anthor portal twirled hungrily forward...
| |
\//\\/ ?
| \ |
| ||| \ /
|,||| ,|| \/
Sasuke
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sasuke tried to push Crunchy out of the way, knowing that Crunchy wouldn't escape this, but his attempts were in vain.
They felt the portal sucking them in, as the hydra appeared to throw Masterweaver straight into it.
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"What's going on???" screamed Crunchyfrog, as he struggled against the suction of the vortex.

He glanced at Sasuke at his side and noted the calmness of the young Ifian, staring into mid space, to a point beyond the portal, as if it didn't even exist.

"Just dont believe it's there." Sasuke said calmly.
"Huh?" shrieked Crunchyfrog.
"Because it isn't."
"WE'RE GOING TO METROID FUSION!!!!"
"Have a mushroom." replied Sasuke, pulling a mushroom out of his pocket and slamming it into Crunchyfrog's mouth.

After almost choking on the mushroom, he finally swallowed it, and after a moment reality began to take hold again. The pool was quiet. D and Masterweaver were quivering wrecks on the floor, D believing at the moment that he was somewhere in the realm of World of Warcraft.

"What about the hydra?" gasped a perspirating Crunchyfrog.

"The hydra was halucination. A property of these caves. A power of the ..... souls..... "

"Souls?"

"You have not seen what I have seen." said Sasuke.

Last edited by Crunchyfrog on Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Sasuke
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crunchyfrog blinked. This was too much.
"Okay, explain everything right now, Mushroom, boy!" he demanded. "My friends are taking a bath with a hydra, you're talking cryptically about souls, we were about to get sucked into portals ending up supposedly in giant fantasy computer worlds, and I want to know what's with these frigging mushrooms!"
Sasuke stared at him calmly.
"Where do you want me to start, Crunchy?" he asked.
"Explaining how and when you got stuck in here, would be a good start..."
Sasuke stared at the ground.
"My mother locked me in here..." he replied.
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crunchyfrog took a deep breath, and let his anger pass. This was getting weirder by the minute. It was clear he wasn't going to get much out of Sasuke now.

Although he was thankful that Masterweaver was still with them, he didn't quite understand the sequence of events that had just passed, with the portals, and was amazed at how someone could survive six years in a cave on mushrooms alone. But he had to admit they were very tasty, and probably quite nutritious, and if they possessed properties that counteracted aberrations in reality, then he was all for that.

D-Lotus, who had been unconscious on the ground regained his senses with a start, and was surprised too, to see Masterweaver lying next to him.

"Dont get too excited." said Sasuke. "He's alive, but he's been in there. He’s been in one of the Wells. How his physical form got spat out again I don’t know, it doesn't usually happen..."

"What does that mean for Masterweaver? Will he be ok?" asked Crunchyfrog.
"His mind can still be rescued, but not from here. It will take time to get where we need to be." replied Sasuke. He stood up and began walking towards one of the tunnels.

Crunchyfrog looked back at D and Masterweaver, still laying, quivering by the side of the pool. Although Masterweaver could not be helped for now, without the aid of the mushrooms, that he, Crunchy, had eaten, would D still be hallucinating?

Last edited by Crunchyfrog on Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:53 pm; edited 4 times in total
Sasuke
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Follow me, we'll need Key. He is still king correct?
"Yes..." replied Crunchyfrog, naively.
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-Lotus stood still, encrouched and surrounded by three or four pools. The child that had suddenly appeared from behind a spire was walking away with Crunchyfrog towards another tunnel where bats were emerging from. Why was he leading towards that path? It seemed more dangerous than any of the other tunnels. Did he have some sort of control over Crunchyfrog? Who was he, anyway, and how had he been here all this time? There was something fishy about this kid's story. He had said he'd been here for six years, yet Key only became king last year- he was mayor before that. So how could the kid know Key was king- furthermore, six years ago, Key had been called Keavney; he changed his name when the site moved from Interfable to Cityf of If. D made a note not to trust everything the kid said from now on.

D turned around and saw the hydra staring at him.

"Help!" he cried to the two who were leaving without him. They both turned towards him, with smiles on their faces. What are they laughing about? D attempted to run, but the pools were all around him, shimmering with their cold veil.
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masterweaver came to in the shades of a thick forest. He felt different. Although he was could not explain how he got here, he strangely still had an awareness of what was going on in the caves that he had just been pulled from. He could hear the voices of Sasuke, D, and Crunchyfrog echoing in the deep recesses of his mind. He felt almost like he could communicate with them.
As he sat up he realised what felt different.Looking at his form he gasped.
"A chicken? I'm a...a giant chicken?" he squawked to himself. "And look at these wings! They're useless!"

Masterweaver paused to think. He was an anthropormorphic--no, partially anthropomorphised fowl, in what looked like Fantasy Forest. He'd best get out quick.

He took a step, and promptly fell forward, as he was unused to having a body.
| |
\//\\/ ?
| \ |
| ||| \ /
|,||| ,|| \/
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hangover - The Story So Far....

Shortly after Smee's legendary firework display at the New Year party in the City of IF, there had been an almighty flash. It was the last thing D-Lotus, Private Investigator, had remembered as he left his office to join the party, before he regained conciousness on a ledge high up on a cliff face some distance from the city.

Crunchyfrog had had a similar experience at the party, and he too, had suddenly found himself inexplicably hanging from a treeroot just above D-Lotus, with a parchment shoved down the back of his pants.

Masterweaver discovered them and tried to rescue them. He had not been at the party, as he had been out hunting for a Pegasus for his Mythbiology show that night, but he had witnessed many revellers fleeing the city for some reason. However, during his rescue attempts he became just as stuck as the others.

Whilst the rescue attempts were going on, BStheGreat made sure D-Lotus knew he was a marked man. He had a grievance for some reason, but for the life of him, D-Lotus could not remember what he had done to anger BS.

Bizarrely, the ledge that D-Lotus, MW and Crunchyfrog were perched on turned out to be an entrance to a maze of tunnels, seemingly timed to open when a shaft of sunlight played across a part of the cliff edge, as Masterweaver found out, when he fell through it.

Even more bizarrely, the parchment that was planted on Crunchyfrog turned out to be a map of the tunnels. However....

It was discovered at the City that the Master Map of the City of IF had been stolen during the New Year festivities. It was the only map that showed where ..er...things were. Specifically, the location of the Soul Well, where the excess soul power from the soulless Ifians were expelled. This was obviously confidential information, and very important, for it took Kalanna Rai some time to extract that information from the Mayor's assistant, and she immediately set out to locate and return it to its rightful place.

This, she did, snatching the parchment from D-Lotus, Crunchyfrog and Masterweaver, who were using it to find their way through the tunnels back to safety. She returned it back to the Council Hall, leaving the threesome alone, trying to figure their own way out of the labyrinth without a map...

As they continued, they found the cave at which all the tunnels converged, and it became apparent to them, that the map she had taken from them, was in fact wrong, and a fake, therefore some mad Ifian somewhere was still in posession of the REAL Master map of the City. This was a cause of Great Concern and they needed to let Kalanna know somehow.

Not only that, they had come across a boy called Sasuke, who claimed to have inhabited the tunnels and caves for the past 6 years, living only on mushrooms.
The boy's habitat included a cave of strange pools, one from which a hydra seemed to appear, clawing Masterweaver into it's murky depths. Crunchyfrog and D-Lotus experienced many other oddities at this location, including the appearance of portals to other gameworlds and dimensions, and the illusion of their companions falling through them - and Masterweaver's own rpg creation Lecro also appearing and adding to the mayhem.

Although during the turmoil Masterweaver's physical form - a leather robe, was spat out of the pool, his soul was now somewhere else, in the body of a partially anthropomorphised fowl, somewhere in what looked like a fantasy forest. However, what was left of him with his IFian friends in the caves was still able to rise and talk.

Sasuke had begun to lure Crunchyfrog into a bat filled tunnel promising to rescue Masterweaver and return him to his normal self, but could he be trusted?

The boy had still survived the dangers of the caves for this long, although his stories and his knowledge of IF did not quite add up. D-Lotus and Crunchyfrog are discovering that maybe both these facts may have come about by virtue of some quality of the mushrooms....

Chapter 2 - Mayhem in Jester Park!

Last edited by Crunchyfrog on Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crunchyfrog looked down at the limp robe that was Masterweaver, on the cavern floor, by the pool.
"Masterweaver. Why don't you get up?" he asked.

"Because," replied Masterweaver, "I'm in the body of a large fowl, in a place that looks like Fantasy Forest, some distance away. I can't even see you! I can only hear you!"

"Well then," said D-lotus, "Maybe we should gather your body."

"Maybe you should." replied Masterweaver. "Don't put the robe on, though! I'd hate to be 'on' any of you-"

In Fantasy Forest, Masterweaver (or the chicken that contained his mind) suddenly dropped silent. In front of him landed the Pegasus. The one he had captured before.

It looked at his partially prone body, then poked it with its talon.

"Caw?"

Great, thought Masterweaver. Just perfect.
| |
\//\\/ ?
| \ |
| ||| \ /
|,||| ,|| \/
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst Crunchyfrog picked up the black robe, D-Lotus wandered off to one of the cave walls, and stared closely at some etchings, obviously carved by the boy. There were pictures, and some markings, obviously counting time. He made some calculations. Since the boy had no idea when the sun was up or down, D-Lotus understood how easy it could be to lose track of time. Looking at the markings, he estimated just under a year. It explained a lot.

He asked Sasuke:

"Tell me, boy, have you actually seen anybody come through these tunnels recently? Someone who survived?"

Sasuke shuddered as he remembered.
"The pools were not always dangerous like this. Once, an evil, horrid, little orange furry fellow, with horns, carrying pockets stuffed with money, and with a strange instrument, he came, with some companions, and a map..." he began.
"He had a box, he unleashed terrible power from that box which he unlocked with that instrument.... he made the pools as they are now with that power.... He is evil. EVIL!!!" The terror on Sasuke's face was genuine.

D-Lotus nodded. He began to understand what the boy might have witnessed. Things were beginning to get a little clearer now...

Last edited by Crunchyfrog on Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:27 pm; edited 3 times in total
Polokin
Citizen

Topics: 0
Location: It seems that I'm not physically capable of visiting a forum... damnit!

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile Polokin was perched on a seat in Jester Park.

He had been sitting there for hours, it was getting late and he needed to make a decision quickly. He had recently found out about a plot, a sinister plot which involved a well known IFian, D-Lotus.

BStheGreat had asked Polokin to help him get revenge, yet he wouldn't reveal what he wanted it for. Also a few days before that encounter, D-Lotus had asked Polokin if he would watch his back, for he had a feeling that somebody was out to get him.

Polokin was about to make the decision to stay out of it, when suddenly a figure emerged from the mist.

"Who's there?..." Polokin called out anxiously.
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crunchyfrog looked down at the black leather robe draped over his arm. He had no idea what Masterweaver was talking about. Whatever realm Masterweaver's soul was in, he must be having a hard time. Crunchyfrog hoped that they could do something about his predicament soon. It was quite clear that coherent conversations with Masterweaver were going to be difficult for a while.

Completely unaware of Polokin's impending encounter at Jester Park, and its possible consequences, the threesome, with the limp Masterweaver still over Crunchyfrog's arm, and a supply of mushrooms, stumbled on through the labyrinth, looking for a way out.

As they did so, D's mind raced. Had Sasuke really witnessed the Ceremony of Release? If so, he could understand why the event might have looked so terrifying.
D remembered the day of the Mass Excorcism, the soulless IFians being rounded up and taken from the city in a container specially built for the purpose... had they really been taken and released here, into the pools?

He then had a chilling thought. If that was the case, why would an IFian want to steal the map and find his or her way back here?

Last edited by Crunchyfrog on Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rai winged her way back to the Council Hall and returned to her Lair there. Depositing the map on a table, and covering to keep it safe, she tapped her Crystal wall and settled back. Soon enough a familiar face swam into view. "Lordy, you owe me this time." The demon smirked at her.

"I trust you got it back?" The dragon inclined her head, what kind of fool did he take her for.

"I did although I'm not going to explain to China what you were doing with it in the first place. That's all your mess to sort out."

"I trust you havn't returned it." Did he think she was stupid?

"No, but I'm also not letting you have it back. Like I said, you've got to clear this little 'excursion' with the higher-ups before I'll have anything more to do with it. I've got enough invested in the Idearium mines that I don't want you fooling around with it." The demon grinned.

"Trust me."

Terminating the connect Rai decided that maybe she had better keep a good eye on that map afterall.

D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-Lotus and Crunchyfrog finally decided to trust Sasuke to guide them throughout the creepy tunnels. There were ocassional rumbles, and the earth shook around them.

"It's only the guardian troll on the east side." Sasuke said.

Crunchyfrog twitched nervously, remembering that the phony map could have easily led them towards the east side of the tunnels. In fact, that was probably the plan of whoever planted the map in his pocket.

"D," Crunchyfrog said, as Sasuke guided them in the dark, "Don't you think that someone was trying to kill us? I mean, they placed us right next to a cave full of monsters and evil pools and gave us a map heading right towards them!"

"It's lucky we escaped, although Masterweaver didn't." lamented D. "Who knows for how long he'll be trapped in a dual world?"

Crunchyfrog was right. Somebody had wanted to kill them without dirtying his/her own hands. Someone had given them a weapon with instructions to kill themselves, but he/she'd failed. D remembered the arrow- could it be BS the Great? Naw; from what he remembered, BS wasn't the kind to hatch plots of this kind. BS liked to make his prey feel hunted, but he wouldn't go to all this trouble. There was something greatly sinister, and D-Lotus knew he had the answer hidden somewhere in the recess of his memory, but he just couldn't dig deep enough. What was the connection between the Mass Exorcism and this mayhem?

Sasuke punched a hole through one of the tunnel walls and a ray of light filtered into the gloom.

"The tunnel you came through the first time is brimming with giant spider guards, so I'm opening my own door through the wall at it's thinnest point." he kicked the earthy wall again. "Help me open a hole." he asked D and Crunchyfrog, who immediately began helping the boy until a large hole of light blinded them, and was big enough for them to crawl through.

Crunchyfrog was the first to crawl outside and breath in the air with his eyes closed- oddly enough, the air smelled like toast. Crunchyfrog opened his eyes and frowned.

"Sasuke, are you sure there's no other way out?" he said.

"None." said Sasuke, as he too crawled outside and contemplated the immense wall of fire surrounding them and creeping around burning trees towards the group.
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suddenly, the chicken went into convulsions. Clearly, the proximity of the temporary host of Masterweaver's soul and it's rightful owner was too much stress for it's physical form to take. It danced and clucked around the park bench where Polokin had been sat, like a, well, demented chicken. And then it exploded.

From within the explosion came a tiny light, presumably Masterweaver's soul, which zipped straight into the hood of the black leather robe, with such force that it caused the robe to whoosh about like a long thin balloon flying from the force of the air expelled from it's neck. And like the bespoke deflated balloon, the robe finally flopped limply onto the ground. Presently it raised itself, and Polokin, D, Crunchyfrog and Sasuke looked at it expectantly.

"Wow, what a trip." said the now complete Masterweaver.

The Pegasus, having been shaken back to conciousness by the explosion, took flight, never to be seen again.

Last edited by Crunchyfrog on Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rai was returning to her original hoard in Jester Park when she noticed the small explosion, looking down she was livid. Yes, Jester Park was supposed to be messy but in a wacky sort of way. What presented itself below her looked like something straight out of Skiffy. It didn't take much to spot the miscreants responsible.

Thundering above them she landed with a thud that knocked them all flat. Her eyes narrowed to red slits, magical energy gathering like shadows on her red hide, the dragon stuck her massive face down at the motley bunch. "I want this mess clean, CLEAN!, you understand before I fly back over you. I've got something to take care of...it'll take me five minutes. If this isn't looking funny and park-like by the time I get back I'll see what happens when we splice all of you together."

Leaving the group to clean up their mess, Rai landed by the old aHEM guildhall...walking inside she found her hoard and rummaged around until she found what she was looking for. With a chuckle, after verifying it was what she thought it was, Rai decided to nap. "Give them a little more time."

D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalanna suddenly appeared out of nowhere and landed with an incredible thump that shook even the trees, who were being slowly consumed by the fire.

"I want this fixed, you miscreants!" she thundered. Then, without recieving an answer or assent, she flew off.

How the hell are we supposed to do anything? We might even die here! Why had Kalanna scolded them, intead of helping? There was something mysterious about that too- or maybe it was just a lack of interest.

D looked around him. They were surrounded by the outside walls of the tunnels and the fire. They'd regained Masterweaver, but it seemed he and the rest were doomed anyway due to the blazing inferno.

Yet the cliff wall wasn't so high at this point- a tall ladder would relieve them from danger and the burning valley.

Meanwhile, there was a possibility of reaching the lake a short distance away. Of course, the problem was, the adventurers would need to bliezkrieg through the burning woods to reach it. But if they hurried enough, they could jump into the lake without suffering too much from burns.

Was it time to split up and try luck? At least, if one method didn't work, the other would, and not all the adventurers would die.
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rai thought better of her nap, not because she didn't want it, but because the moment she closed her eyes she saw the whole of Jester Park going up in flames. Winging her way back over the Park she saw the entire group surrounded by burning forest. Lofting herself up she beat her wings with a fury, blowing the massive fire out.

Landing with a sigh Kalanna shook her massive head. "I suppose I was too harsh on you...afterall you are traveling with Masterweaver. I should have delt with it the moment I saw the problem, since this is my district and all, but I've been a bit stressed lately. Other concerns on Council Hill..."

Making sure the damage was minimal she nodded to them. "Speaking of concerns, once again I've got to be going." Dropping a small red disk on the ground she took a running leap and went skyward. "Use that to call if you need me."

Xansta

Items

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About that time, Crunchyfrog noticed something strange about a section of fire to their left. It seemed to be waving at them.

"You see that?" said Crunchyfrog to D-Lotus.

"What?"

"That section of fire," said Crunchyfrog, pointing hesitantly. He did not want to seem foolish if it was just his overactive imagination.

"It looks like a body made out of flames, or something," said Masterweaver.

"Wait, if you listen closely, you can hear the crackling and hissing of the flames modulating into something like speech," said D-Lotus.

They all listened intently for a couple of minutes. Then they clearly heard "Follow me" from the apparent flaming female at which point a gap opened up in the walls of flame where she had been as she ran away from them.

"This may be our best chance to get out of this place without being dipped in BBQ sauce for somebody else' feast," yelled Crunchyfrog as the flames drew nearer.
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without any further hesitation, Crunchyfrog leapt through the hole in the flames, closely followed by D and Masterweaver.

"Wait a minute, Wheres Sasuke?" said D, whirling round, trying to account for everyone.
"Here!" yelped the youngster, as he leapt through the closing hole in the flames, clutching the disc that Kalanna had dropped on the ground.

"Give me that..." D demanded, holding out his hand. Sasuke shrugged and tossed the disc over to D, who deftly caught it in his left hand.

Crunchyfrog caught D's eye, as he examined the disc. Even though Crunchyfrog was new to IF - and did not know anyone that well, he saw doubt and worry in D's body language. It was true that Kalanna's behaviour of late had been self contradictory. Was she hiding something? D knew her better than Crunchyfrog did...

Last edited by Crunchyfrog on Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Vault All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9
Jump to: