Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Lost n' Spacy: JPSGC: Chapter 2 poll running

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Geek_girl72
Respected Citizen

Topics: 31

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Lost n' Spacy: JPSGC: Chapter 2 poll running Reply with quote

Chapter One: The Pitfalls of Boredom

Year 2347 A.D. Planet Hera:

Delius Stood at the entrance to the docking bay, a pensive expression on his face. His wife Cassandra stood next to him, cradling the sleeping form of their 4-year old daughter, Dian. Both were watching the men loading the small vessel that would take Delius away in a few short minutes, and practically everywhere else except at each other. When the foreman signaled that all was ready, Cassandra let out a long sigh of resignation.

“You’re not changing your mind then? You really are going?”

“I have to Cass.”

“They could send any one of your assistants; they all know how to operate it.”

Delius nodded impatiently, as if the same conversation had happened many times before.

“I know, but it’s my invention. I understand it better than they do and I don’t want anything to go wrong. This isn’t an ordinary science experiment; it could change the course of history.”

“He does have a point Cassandra.”

The Husband and wife ceased their argument and turned, breaking into smiles.

“Alex! We didn’t think you were coming.”

Alexander, a middle aged man attired in long, royal red robes, stepped forward and clapped Delius on the shoulder.

“Would I miss the departure of my good friend? It might be the last…”

He caught himself mid sentence and tried to recover.

“…last time you appear as a humble scientist. If all goes well you’ll be a very rich and famous man.”

Neither Delius or Cassandra were fooled by their friend’s forced cheer, and an uncomfortable silence ensued. The call came again that the shuttle was ready; Cassandra bit her lip and embraced her husband. Delius Returned the gesture, kissed his sleeping child, and shook hands with Alexander.

“If your political duties ease up a little Alex, would you occasionally drop in at the institute? Just make sure they aren’t tearing the place to pieces in my absence.”

Alexander chuckled good naturedly and nodded. Delius cast one last look at his wife, forced a weak smile, and turned towards the small one-man craft waiting for him. After the shuttle took off, Cassandra hugged her daughter tighter to herself and started crying softly. Alex put a reassuring arm around her.

“Don’t worry Cass. Delius is smart, he’ll be alright.”

>>>>>>>>>>>
Observation Compound A12, Somewhere in the Kendrian Galaxy:

“All hands to battle stations! The enemy is upon us!”

Screamed the short, bushy eye-browed man into a hand-held com unit. He ran back and forth in the dark command center. Red lights were flashing, and his desperate orders echoed all throughout the compound. His deep voice rang in every room and chamber, but no response greeted him, all other frequencies were dead.

“All hands! This is your commander! We’ve taken a hit in our starboard side. The enemy has dispatched a flash attack unit and we’re being boarded! Evacuate decks 13-24 immediately and report!”

Still no response of any kind. Silently, a shadowy figure entered the room and stood, watching the frantic man.

“Lt. Smith, Mathews , Roe, anybody, do you copy?!”

The shadowy figure sighed, and hit a button on the wall. Instantly the lights stopped flashing. The man with the hand-held turned in surprise, and jumped almost three feet in the air at the sight of the person in front of him. Letting out an astonished scream that his com unit picked up, a deafening cry resounded over the whole compound. The figure clapped his hands over his ears and stepped back.

“Bob! Would you quit playing with the intercom already? You’re giving me a headache.”

Bob sheepishly turned off the com unit and hung it back in its place on the wall, a deep blush rising in his face.

“Sorry Jake. I was just having a bit of fun and all.”

Jake was a scruffy man who only shaved sporadically because he thought unkemptness made him look tough. The real impression it left was that of an animated (and smelly) garbage heap. Luckily for his ego he didn’t realize this, and was able to shake his head in disgust at Bob without any feelings of hypocrisy.

“There has got to be a less annoying way of amusing yourself around here.”

“Well, at least I wasn’t the one trying to peep at Sara in the shower room…”

Jake started and turned beat red.

“I was not peeping at her! I was…checking for intruders.”

“Yeah right, in the shower?”

Jake rolled his eyes and plopped into a high-backed chair. He pushed himself around in circles for a minute and then continued.

“We gotta get off this hunk of metal Bobby boy. How long is it we’ve been stuck up here anyway?”

Bob shrugged and sat himself in a chair next to his friend. He put his feet up on the control board, ignoring the many buttons and switches he was placing at peril, and leaned back with his hands behind his head.

“I’m not exactly sure. I stopped counting the second time the tech crew was delayed. But…I’d say it has to be at least…two months minimum. “

“Two months? Shoot. It wouldn’t be so bad you know, if everybody else was still here, but with just the three of us holding things down, this place is all empty and spooky. I think it’s starting to get to us, even Sara. She’s been all quiet and aloof lately, like she doesn’t want to talk anymore.”

“…Maybe it’s because you were trying to peep at her in the shower.”

“I was not-”

Jake’s protest was cut off by the appearance of a young woman with dark hair, bright eyes, and an air of muted sarcasm. She was slowly sipping some kind of steaming liquid from a cup, and carrying a second one in her other hand. Jake instantly jumped up to his feet and pretended he was attractive.

“Hey Sara, how’s it going?”

He said, trying to lean back casually on the chair. He miscalculated however, and fell flat on the floor with his feet flying up in the air. Sara just shook her head and took Jake’s seat next to Bob, handing him the drink and copying his relaxed position.

“Bob, remember Alfred and Louis who used to work here?”

“Yeah. They quit about six months after we started, right?”

“Yep, that’s them. I found their names in the announcements section of the news broadcast today.”

“Really? what are they up to?”

“Apparently they got married.”

Bob promptly started choking on his drink and almost fell out of his seat.

Alfred and Louis got married?!”

“Uh huh.”

Bob scratched his head while Sara gazed in mild bewilderment at his reaction.

“Wow. I totally didn’t see that one coming. How’s...er, how’s that working out for them?”

“Just fine, Louis has a kid on the way.”

“Oh, so they’re adopting?”

Sara looked at him strangely and paused for a moment before continuing.

“No...it’s his.”

“Huh? how is that possible?”

It dawned on Sara what Bob was talking about and she groaned in exasperation.

“They didn’t get married to each other you idiot! They each got married, to different people.”

“Oh...was it those two nice girls we met at their going away party?”

“Yes!”

“How’s that going for them?”

“Fine, Louis has a kid on the way.”

“Really? that’s nice.”

Sara sighed deeply and put her head in her hands. Bob stuck his chin in the air defiantly and crossed his arms.

“Well, what was I supposed to think the way you said it? You should talk English better.”

“It’s speak English better and there’s nothing wrong with how I talk, I’ll prove it. Hey Jake, come here a moment.”

Jake hadn’t moved since he fell head first during his ill-fated greeting, and was lying motionless on the floor. Sara sighed again, and kicked him lightly. Jake groaned softly.

“What?”

“Jake, you remember Al and Louis?”

“Yeah.”

“They got married.”

Jake’s eyes popped open and he sat bolt upright

“To each other?!”

Sara rolled her eyes and waved dismissively at her co-workers

“You’re both morons.”

Bob was just about to gloat about making his point, when alarm bells started ringing and the red lights came on again, Sara and Jake looked accusingly at Bob, who put up his hands defensively.

“I didn’t do it this time, honest.”

It took about two seconds for them all to realize that something was happening, and one second later a recorded voice echoed over the intercom.

Warning, space craft on collision course with station. Impact estimated in three minutes.”

“What?!” Sara yelped “What kind of space craft?”

Shuttle, class c, one passenger aboard. Impact estimated in two and a half minutes.”

Jake started visibly shaking, and looked around panic-stricken

“What do we do guys? How do we stop it?”

Bob ran off into a corner of the room, and Sara shook her head.

“I don’t know, won’t the shields stop it?”

“Maybe...but there’s a guy on the shuttle, the impact will kill him. We should turn them off and use that doohickey for grabbing small asteroids.”

“How do you turn off the shields?”

“Uh...it’s either the red button or the green one...”

A crash from the far side of the room arrested Jake and Sara’s attention. They turned and watched stunned as Bob swung a fire extinguisher violently against a small locked panel on the wall. He looked at their shocked faces and yelled impatiently:

“Quit yammering already and help me!”

Impact estimated in two minutes.”

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
This is the first time I’ve tried a funny story, so please be nice with the comments Embarrassed . Anyway, how do they deal with this little pickle?

Whodunnit?On hold till further notice
I Don't Believe in Fate: Chapter 13 is now released
Lost n' Spacey On hold till Further Notice

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny
(")_(")into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Last edited by Geek_girl72 on Sat May 26, 2007 6:07 pm; edited 3 times in total
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 340

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Hah! I actually laughed at this one (in a good way I mean), which I don't do very often.

Very nice start indeed GG, very nice.

I say use the doohicky!

~Looks forward to the next chapter~
dinranwen

Items

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol. Laughing Razz Smile

*chuckles a very amusing start to this story* I liked the way you used humor in a sort of subtle, ackward way that laughable situations usually actually happen.

The humor wasn't even strained as if you were TRYING to be funny. Humor seems to come natural to you, and your story shows that you can show humor in a natural way. Quite refreshing actually.

As for the Dp, I agree with the scientfic intelliagant Star-trek hatted orange mayoraliness *looks amusedily at Chinaren*: Use the doohicky!

Or that botton over there! Oh, Shiny!
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm, how about finding the keys to the small locked panel, lol? The fire extinguisher might break the doohickey. Or it might break the buttons that control the doohickey. That is, if the buttons are inside the panel. Of course, it might be the doohickey that is inside the panel...

We shall wait and see...

A very amusing and enjoyable chapter!

Very Happy
Amichan
Treasurer

Topics: 18
Location: RL:Roseboro, NC./ IF: Retuning from a long journey in the land of OFF

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice and highly amusing. Just to add a little it of humor have the crew all go stir crazy except for one who keeps their head together and gets them out of the jam
Argonaut
Mercenary Artist

Topics: 10

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't know which button it is? no problem, just push them all:)
Geek_girl72
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poll is up! I'll let it go for about a week.

(\__/)
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say 'push them all' really appealed to me. So that's where my vote went.

~Sits back and waits for the chaos to begin~
Geek_girl72
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
~Sits back and waits for the chaos to begin~

Well, push all the buttons won, so you can expect the choas shortly.

(\__/)
Geek_girl72
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter two: Fun With Buttons

There was no time to think. Without paying any attention to Bob, Sara started frantically pushing every button visible. Jake raised his eyebrows in astonishment

“Sara, what the heck are you doing?”
“We’ve only got a few seconds Jake, one of these buttons will stop that shuttle.”

“Yeah but what if-”

Before Jake could voice his protest, the floor beneath them gave a lurch and sent all three toppling to their feet and skidding around the floor. The gravitational emulator kept trying to keep up with the conflicting motion orders Sara had ignorantly entered, which meant every time the three tried to stand up, they got thrown down again. Light elevator-type music wafted through the control room.

Warning, multiple conflicting commands entered. Does not compute.”

“I’m getting sea sick!”

Bob shouted while sliding past Sara, who was hanging onto the edge of the consol, trying desperately to reach the last button. A whirring noise that had perpetually been in the background abruptly ceased, signaling that the shields were down. The sound of Iron on Iron dimly struggled through the station walls. Jake looked out the observation window to see the metal extremities of the station stretching out, sporadically grabbing at empty space like the flailing arms of a drowning person. While Jake was focused on this display, the floor tipped again and sent the motion sick Bob hurtling into him. Jake instantly recoiled in pain as they toppled in a heap across the slippery floor.

“Sorry there Jake.”

“You’re sorry? I don’t think I can have children anymore.”

“Like that was likely to happen anyway.”

“…yeah, I guess you’re right.”

Warning, impact eminent.”

With a great effort, Sara managed to pull herself up and hit the last button. On the outside of the station, a little panel slid aside, and a contraption resembling a turret-gun peeked out. It revolved in a slow circle, scanning the vastness of space for the threat. Finally, it lighted on the impending Shuttle, and shot a wide, greenish beam at the vessel. In the control room, the three co-workers saw the beam shoot towards the shuttle and cheered. Unfortunately, in a final attempt to correct itself from the 45 degree angle it was currently at, the station shifted, causing the beam to miss the shuttle by inches and the vessel itself to crash violently through the now unprotected structure. When the tremors died down, the three scraped themselves off the floor, scuffed up and out of breath. A moment later the robotic voice sounded again over the intercom:

Damage notice. Hull breach on the first deck, emergency containment systems active.”

Bob draped his queasy self over the back of a chair and groaned.
“Containment systems? What does that mean?”

Jake dizzily stood up and tried to help Sara stand to her feet.

“I think it means that we’re safe, but whoever is on that shuttle is rapidly running out of oxygen. We gotta figure out something fast.”

Sara roughly jerked her arm out of Jake’s hands and examined the consol. She furrowed her brows for a moment, then reached over and pressed a small button somewhere in the middle. The whirring noise started up again, and the computer voice alerted them that emergency systems were offline. Bob and Jake stared at Sara with their mouths slightly agape. Bob was the first to get over his surprise.

“Sara, there are hundreds of buttons there, how did you remember which one activated the shields?”

“I dunno, I just did. Um, are we just gonna stand here, or see if whoever was on that shuttle is still alive?”

Now that the shields were back up, it was easy to get into the damaged room. Luckily it had only been a storage chamber, so no important equipment was harmed. The shuttle, on the other hand, was almost unrecognizable. Twisted and mangled by the impact, it was doubtful if anything could survive that. The escape hatch was half open, but whether from the crash or a desperate attempt at freedom they couldn’t be sure. Bob and Jake managed to pry it the rest of the way open, and Jake disappeared into the wreckage. A moment later Sara and Bob heard him call out.

“I found him! He’s alive, but I’m not sure if he’s breathing.”

Jake struggled to hoist the young man to the opening of the hatch, and his two friends lifted him up with an effort. Carefully, they stretched him out on the floor to take stock of the situation. He was banged up pretty badly, and the tumult of his wild ride had turned his face green with nausea. Combined with the emerging blueness from the lack of oxygen, he was quickly turning a rather interesting shade of turquoise. Sara quickly grabbed the man’s wrist and checked his pulse.

“It’s very faint, and you’re right Jake, he’s not breathing. I don’t know CPR, do you?”

“No, what about you Bob?”

Bob didn’t answer, and sat very still, not making a sound. Jake and Sara shared a bewildered glance and looked back at him. Jake cleared his throat and tried again.

“Um, Bob?”

“What?”

“Do you know CPR?”

Bob’s gaze wandered around the room, looking everywhere except at his companions. He opened and closed his mouth several times before wincing and letting his head droop as if ashamed.

“…Yes.”

Sara looked at him and motioned to the expiring man expectantly.

“Well?”

Bob made a face and gazed pleadingly at his friends.

“But…it’s a dude.”

“Bob!”

“Okay , okay. But you two are sworn to secrecy.”

With that Bob made another face, and leaned over the young man. He stopped halfway, sat upright and cried out joyously.

“Look! He’s breathing!”

He sounded as if he were happier than their patient that drastic measures weren’t necessary. The man was breathing slightly, and stirred a little. He had a nice face, what wasn’t bloody and bruised, a fact Sara seemed to take particular notice of. As the man struggled back to consciousness, she cocked her head to the side in an odd way and stared at him as if he were the first human being she’d ever seen.

“We should get him to the med bay right away, he’s got a lot of injuries”

Jake shook his head.

“No, I don’t think we should move him. It’s a long way to carry a person and we might hurt him without knowing it.”

“What else are we going to do?”

“He probably had supplies in the shuttle, we should look there first.”

“But it could be dangerous poking around in that mess, and if he doesn’t have anything it’s only wasting time.”

“If he does it’s safer.”

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
So, they’ve got an injured man and a dispute about the best way to help him. A bit of a lame dp, I know, but I’d have to stop here or go on for about ten more pages, so here we are. Was the chaos enough for you China?

(\__/)
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good, GG!

For the DP....I'd go and see specifically if there is a manual or computer program entitled 'first aid for dummies'.
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! I read this but forgot to comment. VSorry GG.

Yes, great read. I say they find a med-robot, which does the job, but then goes crazy and starts wanting to take over the station.
Geek_girl72
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I say they find a med-robot, which does the job, but then goes crazy and starts wanting to take over the station.

Now, that is a great idea Laughing Where would I be without you guys?

(\__/)
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, Geek Girl, this SG has been reviewed and moved to Jester Park. Very Happy
Geek_girl72
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Cool , I thought I had to wait untill the second poll finished.

(\__/)
Geek_girl72
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright everyone, the poll will run till saturday

(\__/)
Geek_girl72
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! psyco med bot won the poll! This is going to be fun...

(\__/)
Player of Fates
Citizen

Topics: 6

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The story is genuinely funny, I especially liked the marriage banter in the first chapter. I await the third with much expectation.
dinranwen

Items

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greek_Girl if your still around...what would you like me to do with this? I know you mentioned about leaving, and I'm not sure what you would like me to do with this story other then move it to the achieves...

Contact me if you can.

If not, I'll wait until the next cleaning spree to make any changes or moves to this story.
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always move it to the vault. She did ask that her stories not be deleted.
dinranwen

Items

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True...I'll wait for a few days just in case she hung around...but if I don't hear anything, I'll glady sponser the vault fee for this one.

*sighs* And my only SG compition entry too....
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Topics: 13

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the force, Din... Take it upon yourself to continue this sg... give Masterweaver a thousand fables...

Sorry, phased out there for a bit.
Thaumaturgus

Items

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: “But…it’s a dude.” Reply with quote

As a brand new member, this is the first story game that I've read, having been referred by a friend. I have to say that this is funny and well written, and has caught my interest enough to make me register and start reading the rest of the stories and games on this site. It's just too bad that this one won't be continued. Sad Well, I'm sure I'll find more that I like and that I can vote on.

Last edited by Thaumaturgus on Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Thamy! Whilst this one is on hold, we do hope that GG will return to IF eventually.

If you wish to read a humor one, Tired of Death is mine. (Click my sig pic). It'll take you a while to catch up mind, being on chapter 31. Very Happy
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Topics: 13

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am now officially convinced there's an RL virus in Jester Park. I propose starting research into an inoculation. Anybody with me?
ashkent
Citizen

Topics: 18

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinaren wrote:
Welcome Thamy! Whilst this one is on hold, we do hope that GG will return to IF eventually.

If you wish to read a humor one, Tired of Death is mine. (Click my sig pic). It'll take you a while to catch up mind, being on chapter 31. Very Happy

China, i have to say, with a hand on my heart and a foot up my nose, that "It'll take you a while to catch up" doesn't even begin to tell the story. Smile I've been trying and it's like running backwards on an escalator with your legs tied together at the knee! lol. It is worth it though Smile

And I hope GG returns too.

Grim Reaping

Follow Grim's travels on Twitter -

A Christmas Carol Retold – Available now.

Become a fan of the author and keep up to date with the blog at
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Vault All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: