Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Decurro Ex Machina: Chapter 5 up
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Topics: 13

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Decurro Ex Machina: Chapter 5 up Reply with quote

Decurro Ex Machina

Ten thousand needle-thin legs ratcheted silently in the night.

There was a hexagonal module an inch thick and three inches across for every quadruplet. The entire being was a chromatic silver, unfeeling and uncaring of the universe around it, as all of its brethren were.

In a shimmering wave, they flowed down the moonlit street. Quiet was the order of the night. No dogs barked, nor owls cooed, as they thumped stealthily across the gravel. On either side, impassive, dead houses looked on, uncomprehending of the phenomena. Nothing could stop the small creatures from their mission, if they knew they had one.

But they did not even know of themselves. How could they?

Ten thousand silver points rebounded soundlessly against the pitch-black ground. The sky was as dark as the tar below. The stars twinkled, uncaring watchers of this odd spectacle. The moon was in half, looking away.

Then, suddenly, they stopped. There had been an unspoken signal, a curiosity as riveting as gravity, as predetermined as the whirring of gears.

One of the things crawled uncertainly onto an object on the side of the road. It slipped only once, but then managed to regain its footing. It scampered into the object, and scanned without eyes the interior.

The strange whatsit was a '98 Volkswagon beetle, with faded red paint and studded tires that betrayed a once vigorous owner. The left front headlight had been shattered. There was not a trace of feeling in the once vibrant bug, save a resignation to fate's hunger and time's rust. This had been the fate of all cars, of all things unalive, since before memory served. Memory wasn’t long anymore, but it still held something of import amongst the foxes and rabbits that had infiltrated the surroundings.

The one on the vehicle made a quick flash of light. In response, its brethren crawled all over the vehicle and disappeared within. There were a few quick flashes and some ultrasonic whirs, then there was silence.

And then-

And then-

The car suddenly expanded, and the chassis shifted and whiled and clicked and changed. What had once been a vehicle stood unsteadily on two legs, testing its arms to see if they were real, rubbing the back of its head in astonishment. A mind formed, a mind of confused half-impressions that conflicted and rose and fell. Confusion reigned with an iron fist as the being attempted to come to terms with itself.

His name was...What? He could not remember his name. That made sense, but he couldn’t remember why. A word floated to his mind. Diagnostics. With the word came a process, a rechecking of... of... something. A number came to his mind. Two thousand five hundred? That was... was less, that was the word, then what it should be. He had only 2500 nano...nano... what were they called? He couldn't remember. Could it have something to do with having less? An instinct said yes.

He sat down heavily. The impact caused small blades of grass to recoil, but there was no other objection. Wordlessly, he rested his chin on his fist.

Something was different, he could tell. His skin shimmered and gleamed in the light of the half-moon, and a few shard of broken glass fell to the ground. He remembered his…his… what had he called her? She was important, he thought. No, wait, that was past. She had been important, but now…

Enough of this. Think. He recalled a voice. It was an authoritative voice, one that demanded memory. "You all have been chosen for this because you are..." Garbdlygook. Then the voice returned. "...may not survive. Some may be partially damaged." That must have been what happened. He looked up and saw the stars. He remembered the stars.

"Starlight, starbright, first star I see tonight..."

The sudden sound jerked him to reality. He blinked, puzzled, then realized he had emitted the tune. How had he remembered it? It was childish… But that was not important. He must... must... must DO something, but what? He racked his memory again. Then, suddenly, he nodded, stood, brushed himself off. That would be what he did. He walked off, leaving the night once again to its stillness.
>>>
What does our mysterious hero decide to do?

Last edited by Masterweaver on Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:49 am; edited 14 times in total
NeverNeverGirl
Honored Citizen

Topics: 68

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*raises hand and squirms in seat*

oh me! me! pick me!

'Find more of my kind....'

WOOT!

There was a few minor spelling mistakes in this peoce but i thorouhgly enjoyed it! Watch your chapter length - SGs have a min length requirement - but other than that ...

LETS GO EXPLORING!
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh! I streched it to about seven hundred words, but ran out of Idearium! What do you suggest I do to espand it?
NeverNeverGirl
Honored Citizen

Topics: 68

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you know what - its a good intro dont try and mess with it too much.. lets just go on from here.
Phang
Elder

Topics: 25

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually quite good.

But what out of a machine in the title? What's Decurro?
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it means to run through or down something. To do with speed, anyway.

Nicely written, MW! Best I've seen from you yet!

F5 Ne, try to make the next chapter longer.

Hmm, well, he needs to learn about himself, but he may learn that indirectly through his surroundings. So I would say get to a good vantage point and survey the landscape.
DELETED

Items

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
Mephistopheles
Respected Citizen

Topics: 16

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neat intro MW! most unfortunately, the only thing i can come up with is find a power station and try to get it turned back on. not even sure why, it just seemed to fit in my mind

eminem

without the threat of death,
there is no reason to live at all

marilyn manson
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I've edited it a bit. So far we've got explore, find another of our kind, figure out who we are, and find a power station.
The White Blacksmith
Elder

Topics: 15

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Decurro' is 'I run down'. So 'Decurro Ex Machina' is 'I run down from the machine.' At least, I presume those were the meaning you wanted. Although I am intruiged as to how the title fits in.

I too say Explore, by the way.

Tea Cures All.
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going for Man from the machine, but hey!

Any other options?
The White Blacksmith
Elder

Topics: 15

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man from the machine? That'd be

homo ex machina

And no capitals. The Romans didn't use capitals at the beginnning of sentances.

Tea Cures All.
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When are we going to get a poll? Very Happy
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now. Place your hand into the cannibalistic nanites of voting.
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Ahem* Cannibalistic nanites of voting.

Items

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ampera are a strange and gifted people. Regarded with mistrust by the rest of humankind, they earn tolerance by sticking to their code of honour, abiding by rules that must never be broken. Yet within their numbers, a small boy hides a terrible secret, a secret that will betray his kind, and seal the fate of the world.

If you believe in fate, that is...

Jack_D.Mented
Respected Citizen

Topics: 9

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I went for find another of his kind, but meh.

It's a good story, an excellent intro. It sucks you right in. I'm interested to see where it goes.

Abattoir Chapter 2!

Items

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

find another of their kind!!! find another of their kind!!!

I choose that one. funny chapter.
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woooo, the hidden benefits of being an Ad agent! Wink

Seriously though, I'd like to see you continue with this one, Weaver, it's a really good start. Hoping very much to see a new chapter on this one soon.

Smile
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's... a three-way tie...
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me repeat myself:

IT'S A THREE-WAY TIE!
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you, MW, I'd give it one more day. If it's still a tie, perhaps think of a way of combining elements of all 3 - or perhaps you could choose between them. You are the author after all.

Smile
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 340

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There. Voted and fixed your problem.

[Edit] Oops.
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinaren. I will contain my wrath at this moment.

*Walks off*

*Returns*

Incidentally, there are a plethora of broken vases in your house now.

Items

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fly, be invisible, dream hop, breathe water, be perfect in everything you do, have a shadowy past, a mysterious lover....

[You make the character... You make the powers... You decide what You say and when You say it.

The power is Yours!

Superhuman - enjoy the ride!

Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tie is broken Weaver, I suggest you close the poll and get onto the next chapter. This is by far your strongest SG, judging by the responses alone!
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The metallic PANG PANG PANG of his feet echoed through the night. On either side, buildings that had once housed beings like him now crumbled. Strange hootings and callings emerged from the dark, warnings to him that this was their land, and any attempt to take it would be met with force. The grass, clinging to the healthy soil of former yards, bent back to allow him passage. And still, he walked on, confident that there was nothing that they could do to him. For who would dare challenge a being whose skin could shimmer in the moonlight?

You did once, whispered a memory.

And now, his pace slowed. He had come to the edge of the former suburb. The road extended a few yards, but was soon overtaken by the ground around it. It was not the healthy soil of the town. It was cold, uncaring sand, crystalline. He knelt and picked up a handful. It strained through his massive fingers. He straightened up and scanned the empty horizon. In the distance, there were grey mountains towering over the dead world with a vulture’s cunning gaze.

So. This was it, then. No celebration, no joyful reunions. Just… silence.

He looked around. The suburb promised safety, but only for the moment. If he stayed out here in the desert, he would burn and die when the sun rose. The answer was simple. Nonetheless, he hesitated. There were so many things that could go wrong at this moment, so many things that he had absolutely no control over. It was dangerous. Perhaps he should just lie down and die. He was, after all, only… whatever he was. It could not be easier to just—

Don’t give up. Don’t hold back. Just go. Go until you have no energy.

His footsteps PANGED across the sands, as he tried to outrun the moon. In front of him, the mountains loomed, whispering promises of safety to anyone who dared reach for them. And the stars twinkled, uncaring watchers of this strange spectacle.

As he crossed, various small creatures scampered away from his massive feet. They knew better then to challenge a giant, but they hissed and spat anyways, telling each other that this a once in a lifetime occurrence, and their land was still theirs. A few enterprising individuals took the chance to eliminate a few others, and soon a feast was underway, with anything dead being fair game, and then some.

He stopped and watched in a sort of morbid horror. Such death… Such death in such massive amounts… In all his memories, he had never seen any creature so desperate as to attempt to kill without any discrimination. Was this all he had come back for? All that remained in a world formerly populated by art and beauty?

Keep going. Let them have their little fight. It doesn’t matter.

PANG PANG PANG went the footsteps, while the moon steadily set with all the time in the world. He would make it to the mountains. He would survive. That was all that mattered right now. Survival. Time enough for mourning later.

“What is it?”

A strange creature raised the question, or at least a creature that was strange by the measures of humans. But there were no humans in these lands, so the creature was no stranger then his companions, who themselves were strange as well.

“What is what, Farsight?” One of the other beings levered himself up on a complicated array of gangly limbs. “You must recall that we do not share your gift.”

The first being made a complicated blink. “It is… like a shinebeast, but more regular. Shaped like the ancients. Red. It is coming this way. What is it?”

The second one shook his head. “There is naught of it. It is new to all knowledge, new to all life.” He set his gaze on whatever Farsight had gleaned from the sands. “It is interesting. But unless it is here ere moonset, there is no point in wondering.”

An unspoken question hung in the air. Farsight again blinked his massive eyes.

“It will be in the mountfoots a little later than the skinwings return to their caverns.”

The second being nodded his massive head. “I will send a scout to meet it at sunrise. Until then, watch it. And do not awaken the others.”

Farsight shifted on his hands. “Should they not know what comes?”

The second being folded itself up to sleep. “If I do not know it, then telling them that it comes serves no purpose.”

Farsight blinked. The matter had been settled, in a perfectly reasonable fashion.

And the night was quiet again, but for the cries of the insects as they rassled in the thin mountain grass for food.

And sometimes, for their lives.

The rocky base of the mountain presented him with a challenge. It was one he was eager to take. His massive hands grabbed first one boulder, then another. His feet he secured in snags amongst the wall.

The moon was rapidly setting, and the stars were slowly ending their twinkle. Behind him, small creatures headed for their borrows, desperate to hide themselves from the wrath of the sun. The grey mounts, now so utterly close, held a promise that would allow him to live. And once he had established a base, he would…

What were his goals? Why had he done this to himself?

What was he anyways?

As the sun rose, he was halfway up the mountain, shrugging off the occasional bit of gravel and dragging himself up. Finally, he managed to find a part of the mountain that had been long ago chopped into, forming a level area. He sat down, watching the desert sun appear, and he pondered his position.

“Is this all it is? A dying world, with backstabbing beasts ready to eat anything?”

“You speak the language!”

The voice was strange, unlike any he could remember. For a moment, he thought he had just imagined it. But then, cautiously, he turned to face the speaker…
>>>
Our mysterious hero meets a mysterious being. What is it? What does it look like? What does it want? This is up to you...

Last edited by Masterweaver on Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Mephistopheles
Respected Citizen

Topics: 16

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice imaging there MW. quite enjoying this.

So, we have our hero, and another. is this supposed to be Transformer's like MW? all of these alien intelligences taking over and reshaping mechanical devices left in a world void of humans? or am i confused?

If i have the gist of it, then the scout can be a Jeep. If I am confused, well, make the scout be a bush, like sage brush or something. Smile

Keep up the good work, MW!

eminem

without the threat of death,
there is no reason to live at all

marilyn manson
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well written, MW.

Couple of minor nitpicks -

Quote:
Don’t give up. Don’t hold back. Just go. Go until you have no energy.

Quote:
Keep going. Let them have their little fight. It doesn’t matter.

Where he is thinking to himself, make these a little clearer, by putting them in itallics. Just so that it is different from your narrative.

Quote:
PANG PANG PANG went the footsteps, while the moon steadily set with all the time in the world. He would make it to the mountains. He would survive. That was all that mattered right now. Survival. Time enough for mourning later.
“What is it?”

Where you are making a break in your chapter, put a bit of extra spacing above and below the asterisks. Maybe some in between as well. There's nothing wrong with it the way it is, but the extra spacing will make the break more visually obvious and just... well... looks nicer. Smile

For example

Quote:

“What is it?”

As for the DP... Now, the voice is described as strange, so it is not a being like his own. Perhaps it is some macabre hybrid between organic being and machine. A product of an experiment that went horribly wrong. Whoever or whatever it is has a story to tell...

Looking forward to seeing another chapter of this!

Smile
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a small orange blob, about the size of a man's head.
Head Eater
Resident

Topics: 1

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thisss ssstorygame isss of a sssatisssfactory ssstandard.

Enssure it remainsss ssso or I will return for your head.
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a leather black robe, I don't have a head. Thank you, HE.
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Head Eater wrote:
Thisss ssstorygame isss of a sssatisssfactory ssstandard.

Enssure it remainsss ssso or I will return for your head.

Well done MW! You finally made it. Now, just hope you can keep this one going.
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a Jeep, a Bush, a Cyborg, and a Blob. In all honesty, I was expecting something a lot more.... Mutatous, you know? This is not about the robots yet, so I'm knocking out the Jeep and the Cyborg. Come on, give me a strange idea!
Mastermind
Citizen

Topics: 1

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a mutated giant chicken with a pig-face and three legs.

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
Bill Watterson
Player of Fates
Citizen

Topics: 6

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for a thin little man in a black suit. His head is a skull, orange or green and only has one eye socket. His fingers are metallic like tentacles and his feet resemble a chickens. The suit in pin striped.

Pretty Thing
Vampires just got a whole lot Hotter

The Business
The fine print can kill you.
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we have the Bush, the Blob, the Chicken, and the Skull. Anybody else?
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm. How about all four mixed together? In a repulsive way of course.
CunningFox
Citizen

Topics: 0

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad Masterweave.

Mmm, how about a crazed robot which collects human parts to attach to itself? Because it wants to be human.
Masterweaver
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, not bots right now, fox. Poll is upity up!

Who shall go with Redemption?
Spider
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Strength
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
Wrist
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Farsight
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Flab
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
Wisdom
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2
Who Voted: Chinaren, Crunchyfrog

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Vault All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: