Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
The Fantasy Forest News : Edition 1

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Smee
Revered IFian

Topics: 166

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: The Fantasy Forest News : Edition 1 Reply with quote

Gooooood morning, afternoon or evening, Ladies and Gentlefolks.

And welcome to this first edition of the Fantasy Forest News (FFN). The news you need from "the only place that matters."

~

Settle yourself back in your rocking chair, with a favorite beverage. Perhaps toss a steak to the pet dragon in the corner. Finally, stoke the fire and prepare yourself for a feast of fictional fantasy, with nary a laser beam, space ship or hooded psycho killer in sight.*

Contents :

Coming up for you in this exciting first edition :

• I take a stroll through the outer fringes, and get up to speed with whats new in May.

• I have a chat with the author of the longest concurrently running Storygame in the City.

• I bring you FFN's must-read of the edition.

• I sneak into the city and take a peak down Info street to see what baby SG's could be invited to the forest very soon.

*Well, there might be a few of the latter lingering in the deeper areas of the forest.

~

All exciting stuff, I'm sure you agree, and I just can't wait any longer so let's get started.

WNITF

That's right, we begin wih "What's New in the Forest", a quick look at what exciting new stories have appeared within our shady utopia recently.

It's too early for any May-seedlings to have grown yet. But I was lucky enough to see two healthy strong saplings transplanted to the Forest in late April.

Both authors are recent arrivals to the City, and I went looking for them to get a few words.

I managed to catch up with Traveller first...

Quote:
"Good evening, Mr. Traveller. Aah, a handy pseudonym for your rumoured visits to Muaddib District no doubt! Worry not, here at FFN we don't judge.

I wanted to talk to you about your Storygame venture, Journey's Witness, recently promoted into the Fantasy Forest. Could you briefly describe the tale?"

"Its the story of a cat that lives the pampered life in a castle, the only pet of the princess, Journey. One day, after the Harvest Festival, a couple of curious, and suspicious strangers arrive and the princess disappears. Are these events related...and how can a cat fix all the troubles in the kingdom?"

"That's wonderful. Is this an idea you've had a long time?"

"To tell the truth, I was surprised as any when the lead character became a cat. When I began writing, it was meant to be a young man who who was the princess' official playmate and friend. About halfway through the prologue I looked down and realized that it could be a pet...then I debated on weather to have a cat or some sort of "Fantastical" creature...the rest, as they say, is history.

I haven't really done alot of planning with this...for the most part I just sit down and see what pours out...I have a general idea of where the chapter is going to go but none of the details. Seems to be working, thus far ."

"You don't say! Well sadly that's all we have time for. Thanks again, Mr. Traveller. We look forward to hearing great things in the future."

Well thank you ...hope everyone is enjoying my little cat 'tail' and continues to read it. I am enjoying reading alot of the stories out there and am very impressed by the amount of talent on this site...Thanks...T.

~

A very enthusiastic Traveller there.

Oh, and it seems Gallant has just appeared, just moments before (after) going to press. Here's what he said...

Quote:
"Good evening, Mr. Gallant. Erm, Mr. Gallant... are you ok.

*Gallant sings a song about petrol flavoured burps*

"EH!? You shay shumfin' aboot ma maw!? C'mere ya bloody... *falls over in attempt to punch*

Well that was quite lovely, but we wanted to talk to you about your Storygame, Infinity. It was recently promoted into the Fantasy Forest. Could you briefly describe the tale?"

Well why didnt you shay sho!? Well, itsh like thish.... *Hiccups* Um... Big! There'sh a big world! But no one knowsh yet cause itsh not that far in the story. Bashically everyone'sh shtuck in the Tie-ranic-cal rule of thish shelf proclaimed lord of a small community deep underground. There... *sobers up a bit* There's a few main characters rather than one in particular and they're adventures will be... well you'll need to read and wait won't you! All I want to say without giving away too much of the plot is that they're is a greater evil afoot than what you may think. Most are just pawns in the story.

"Thank you for that. Rumour has it, you had a tough time with the Head Eater in the City. It's great to see HE let you go. Comments?"

"Damn that head eater... I'm not sure he has spoken to me in chat but he does seem like a nice guy. Although I have a few bite marks in my scalp... He seems happy with my effort to correct my mistakes but I must say after you're critisisms I haven't fixed em' all. All and all (asides from my impatience with my promotion) he's a goog guy and does a good job."

You don't say! Well sadly that's all we have time for. Thanks again, Mr. Gallant. Might we suggest a strong coffee."

Sod off ya ****ing ****. Coffee's fur ******. Whit the ****s the point in drinkin' if aw yer gonna do is sobre up afterwards!?

And thus concludes WNITF for this edition.

~

Interview with a Vamp.. erm Demon-thing

Lord of the Night, long term resident of IF and currently running for the Mayor's office, is the author of a rather special Storygame. I managed to grab a few minutes of his time and this is what he had to say...

Quote:
"Mr Night, is it ok if I call you that?"

"That is....acceptable I suppose. Though 'Sir' or 'Lord' or even 'My Unholy Master' would be far more appropriate. Nonetheless, I will not press the issue on this occasion."

Well anyway, your Storygame.. erm A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi.. woah, quite a title. It is rumoured that it is currently the longest, concurrently running Storygame in the City! The first chapter written back in 2005. Is this true and what do you think about such an accolade?"

"Of course it’s true – I started the rumour. A man of my social standing would never spread false rumours or mistruths about such an important matter as this one. Oh, and don’t believe anything that rascal Smee says either – The Time Before clearly no longer qualifies for such a prestigious heading, due to the time it spent languishing in the Royal Achieves.

"Excellent, briefly, what is it about?"

"Ah, now that would be telling. And would force me to go and re-read my own work, in order to find out. Briefly though, it’s about a thief known as Ulliana Halfelven – who is part Rakshasa (lion-person), and part (yep, you guessed it) elven. It’s an original surname, I know. And yes, I’m aware that makes her a furry. Laugh it up people.

She is thrown suddenly from her ordinary life as a thief (you could even call her a cat-burglar: P) into one filled with political Machiavellians, mythical creatures and a lot more danger. She only manages to survive due to her habit of running into powerful warriors, all of whom end up saving her life repeatedly. There’s a lot of betrayal, a fair few unsuspected plot-twists, and a few dodgy ‘Paint’ drawn maps (which I suggest you don’t look at, as they’re really that bad)."

"Our research has shown it has been awarded a number of coveted IFY's over the years. To what do you think it owes its success?"

"Well, I wrote it of course – the people of this city just recognise brilliance when they see it. Seriously though, it’s because...er...I’m not sure. You’ll have to ask my readers why they like it."

"One, erm, drunk man in the street reported to us that the chapters come out so slowly because you can only type with one claw. Any comment?"

"Don’t be ridiculous. Claws are so last century. The sole reason my chapters come out slowly (apart from letting me pick up IFy’s) is because I use a strategic cloning facility to create writers for my stories instead. Unfortunately, there’s been a slight hiccup in the process, and the clones only emerge at three years old. Being small children, they do tend to lose track of the important things in life (such as doing what I tell them, and writing my stories). So it takes a lot of whipping to get them back to their respective keyboards (I have another set of clones which do the whipping though – far too much effort to do it myself). Of course, human clones do make good snacks, which is an advantage."

"And finally, Mr Night. Is there an end in sight?"

"Of course, but I’m afraid you need a telescope to see it properly. Like the Hubble Telescope. That should do it.

Oh, and remember - Vote ..."

"Erm, we'll have to cut you there, Mr Night. This isn't a political paper. Thanks very much."

~

FFN - MR. Award

That's right. It's now that time we've all been waiting for. Announcing the winner of FFN's first ever 'MR.' (Must Read) award...*

"Drum roll please!"

After exhaustive searching through the inner forest, I came across a little storygame, still struggling to reach the glorious sunshine of the canopy. But given its author, I have no doubts it'll get there.

Three by none other than Chinaren himself, is currently only on Chapter 2.

A perfect opportunity for any newbies, or oldies alike to hop aboard the Chinaren train before it reaches chapter 83, has 6 books and starts casting for the movie.

This one, like several of his stories in the past (including the hugely popular Averice) is the product of a city-wide appeal for spare Idearium.

As usual the city provided and Chinaren had the basis for this latest adventure.

At the insistence of the city, it involves a mentally unstable psychiatrist with a foot fetish, a shoe from a heroine, and a man who managed to knock up 3 women in one night.

And just like that, a story is born.

Check it out now, and see where it takes you.

~

NSG Sneak-peek

I know, I know. Who would volunteer to leave the forest and go slum it in the City! Pure madness. But a little ways from the centre, halfway down Info Street is a place known locally as NSG. Amidst the screams and cries of stunted offspring from the Skiffy and HEM districts, if one looks carefully. Tiny offshoots of the forest are struggling to begin their lives.

It behooves** me to brave such a journey, if I am to help nurture such promising new starters and help them reach their rightful place in the Forest. So brave it I did and this is what I found...

• THe Vizier's Secret : Hopefully Warsor doesn't give up on this highly imaginative start. Little more than a few weak roots grasping for purchase in the thin soil. But I have high hopes and want to see more of this one. With magic, intrigue, theft and strange creatures. What more could we want!

• In a World of Dragons : Travanesh is taking on this ambitious story. A world in a tenuous balance between humans and dragons, Trav takes the initiative to show us both sides by alternating his chapters. His latest chapter from the POV of a young dragon was well admired. I just hope he can lift his game, focus and really produce writing worthy of the forest.

~

And that's it for this first edition folks. Hope you enjoyed it.

I'll be back soon with more news, interviews*** and important happenings, here in the Fantasy Forest. "The only place that matters."

* This isn't actually an award. I can't afford such things. But hey, you're getting a free shout out.
**Seems a popular word these days, thought I'd try it out too!
*** Thanks to the cooperative authors for answering my questions

Last edited by Smee on Fri May 08, 2009 9:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Gallant
Citizen

Topics: 14

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Smee.... awesome...
sir wax
Citizen

Topics: 9

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woot woot! Great idea Smee, and the execution... *does Italiano sign with his hands for 'poifekt'*.

Keep up the good work. Look forward to seeing more great stuff.

Sincerely,
SirWaxaLot
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 340

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't sure if you wanted responses in here or not, but thanks for the award there Smee!

Good issue as well!
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So long as it finishes up on the right coloured grey background, that's fine. Saves me having to remake all the pictures Wink
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Topics: 103

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"If I was to be one of their luxuries it would behove me to consider my terms."

-from "The Real Thing", by Henry James.

Amazing, ain't it? I was reading this morning, and voila! That word just pops up everywhere. Very Happy
The Meaning Of Fear
Respected Citizen

Topics: 13

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is the first IFian paper I've seen that can compare to the IFquirer! Entertaining and informing, I love it!

Doors to the truth, an SG where a boy is propelled into worlds he is unfamiliar with. He crosses many worlds, and sees many things that force him to throw away his innocence, once, and for all. Fourth Chapter, out for viewing!
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... whilst looking around for things to put in to a new months edition, I have reather quickly realised that there are no new stories in the forest. In fact, the edition is little more than the introduction and the Mr Award. Shocked

Sadly nothing much happened in May, aside from the Election (exciting as it was).

So, I'm going to skip June's rather short edition, and hopefully bring a bigger one in July, with the news of the promotion of some of the influx of newbie stories in the last week.

Stay tuned folks. Very Happy
sir wax
Citizen

Topics: 9

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*starts to flop around like a convulsing fish*

nooo. must... handle ... withdrawals...

*starts to foam at the mouth*

need... funny... ff... news...
Warsor
Resident

Topics: 1

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is going into shock! Nurse I need 50 ccs of FF News in a syringe STAT! *Jabs the needle directly into Sir Wax's heart.*
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold on to your best Fantasy floppy hat... Edition 2, just crammed full of goodies, will be gracing these pages as soon as I can get some interviews done Wink
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Vault All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: