Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
NES

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Geek_girl72
Respected Citizen

Topics: 31

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: NES Reply with quote

This is a non-fiction peice I'm considering expanding, I would appriciate any feedback.

NES

I was Luigi more often than not, the marginal character. It was okay though because I liked him better, mostly because he was taller and could hit elevated bricks easier.

The most difficult part of defeating Bowser was the red lava pendulums. My brother and I would stretch out on our elbows, for hours on end, till our joints ached from the pressure and rigidity. We'd dodge the ghosts and skeletons with the deftness of long practice, then time the dash over precarious bridges so we'd hit the floating platform just right. My brother liked pulling the switch to drop the monster in the flames. My favorite part was pulling toadstool out of the bag.

The original Mario games, on the original NES, really brought my brother and I together. For all the modern concerns about video games leading to acceptance of violence, no one has ever mentioned the capacity it has as an outlet for sibling rivalry. Corey was the oldest, and thus king of the castle, until I proved just as good as him at storming the castle to rescue princess Toadstool. In addition to earning his respect, (although he'd never admit it), I discovered a hobby I loved, and still love to this day. I didn't know until years later that very few girls my age liked video games. I wouldn't have cared if I had., although I did wonder occasionally why other girl's eyes glazed over when I tried to explain the advantages and drawbacks of Luigi. Nevertheless, my brother and I poured over each level in Mario Bros. with exuberance; searching for secrets, developing strategies, and trying to beat each other's time.

Qubert, Lolo, DK, Operation Wolf, all the other classic games, despite their taunting puzzles and catchy music, never had anything on Mario. They were alright when we were waiting for the newer Mario games to come out, but once it did they were promptly pushed aside in favor of fire flowers and mushrooms. The most beautiful sound in the world to us was the high-pitched chiming of star powered invincibility. The best part was ability to replay the same game over and over again, so no victories on either my or Corey's part were final. Even after we got good enough to play most of the game on one life, we still competed to see how many lives we could collect. If you didn't go into the castle with 32 bonus guys, you were a poser. I did beat Bowser once right after he killed my Brother. I don't think he's ever forgiven me for it.

One of the happiest days of our respective childhoods was the day we got the mythic Super NES. We'd asked my mom for one when we'd heard rumors of this magical artifact, but she'd told us it was to expensive. Corey and I decided that was no excuse, and immediately began pooling our allowance for the coveted console. We'd talk incessantly about it, plan ways of making money, and scour ads for the best deals on future games we wanted to by. I can still remember standing in the checkout line at wal-mart when we finally bought it. I think my mom was astonished we'd saved enough, but she didn't want to discourage this co-operation in her children. Of course, Mario World was the first game we bought for it, but we still played all the old games on our original NES.

Arguably the best level in any Mario game was the one with the jumping bricks. I remember the first time Corey and I were surprised by the top block on the pyramid leaping at us. I was so surprised that I dropped my control pad. Corey screamed. We had the most difficulty mastering that level, but it was also the most fun. I can still see myself standing behind Corey, biting my nails with anxiety and shouting out warnings about suspicious-looking bricks, and Corey laughing so hard tears streamed down his face. After that I thought the level was so much fun that I died on purpose a few times so I could replay it.

Corey got a black hoodie a few years after that with all the power-ups displayed on the front, with "know your mushrooms" written underneath it. This lead to a few random misunderstanding by hippies and authority figures thinking the hoodie was advertising drug use. Mostly hippies. Corey still has the hoodie, which I've tried to steal several times out of envy. It hasn't worked, but Nintendo and it's paraphernalia has worked as an effective outlet for all our aggression towards each other. If not for the hoddie, I'm convinced I would have shaved off his eyebrows a few times in his sleep.

Looking back, it's amazing how far video games have come from the 8-bit adventures. I never could have imagined the way Xbox and Playstation would turn into a billion dollar industry, producing work that rivals literature and film for both entertainment value and artistic display. What's even more amazing to me though, is how I can't remember Corey and myself aging over the years. I know it must have happened, but he doesn't look any different to me now than he did at 12, sitting next to me on the floor, glaring at Bowser with righteous anger.

Whodunnit?On hold till further notice
I Don't Believe in Fate: Chapter 13 is now released
Lost n' Spacey On hold till Further Notice

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny
(")_(")into your signature to help him gain world domination.
Emperor
Citizen

Topics: 29

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved this Geek girl.
Reiso
Respected Citizen

Topics: 17

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

God, this is like a slice right out of my own childhood, though my memories go slightly further back to Atari and an old Texas Instruments. Games like Combat, Super Breakout and Hunt The Wumpass were our Mario Brothers. Of course, many a bouncing golden brick has fallen before the mighty sibling teamwork in my home as well, and few things are as satisfying as kicking Bowser's butt.

You made an excellent point; for all that people love to target video games as a source of evil, they also bring people together. My family is closer because of video games, and I defy any alarmist to prove otherwise. Great post Geek.

Great, great post.

Sector 17 -- Rebuilding... ... ...

In the desert
I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
Who, squatting upon the ground,
Held his heart in his hands,
And ate of it.
I said, "Is it good, friend?"
"It is bitter--bitter," he answered;
"But I like it
Because it is bitter
And because it is my heart."  -- Stephen Crane
Smee
Revered IFian

Topics: 166

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well written, GG. A fun, and entertaining flow of words, offering keen insight into a very misunderstood, and often scapegoat-ed hobby.

I'm sure my sister and I might have grown up more peacefully had she had any interest in gaming. Sadly she didn't.

A great read that many unenlightened non-gamers should give a glance at.

Happy Writing Smile
Geek_girl72
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys Very Happy

As I mentioned, I'm think of expanding this, maybe into a full fleged book about the video game experience. Based on this, do you think that's doable? Or have I said enough with this one essay?

(\__/)
Guyron
Resident

Topics: 3

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reiso wrote:
God, this is like a slice right out of my own childhood, though my memories go slightly further back to Atari and an old Texas Instruments. Games like Combat, Super Breakout and Hunt The Wumpass were our Mario Brothers.

Not to mention Dizzy Dice, Saboteur or Renegade. Not much visually challenging, yet still, some of the best and funniest games I've played.

Zeke
Resident

Topics: 1

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geek_girl72 wrote:
Thank you guys Very Happy

As I mentioned, I'm think of expanding this, maybe into a full fleged book about the video game experience. Based on this, do you think that's doable? Or have I said enough with this one essay?

I wouldn't recommend expanding this by itself into a book, although it could be incorporated into a book.

Nostalgia makes for a great essay, but gets very old very fast. Think about how long you can discuss "old times" with a friend before you get tired of it--an hour or two at most.

I really enjoyed the essay, though. The common touchpoints of playing with a sibling (setting the video game aside) makes it a shared nostalgic experience. Wonderful piece of writing.
Geek_girl72
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, that's good point.

I was thinking about either a collection of essays on video games, with this and a few personal stories thrown in, or a book that followed the progress of video games in a personal tone. Or some combimation of the two, maybe an alternation between past and present

(\__/)
Zeke
Resident

Topics: 1

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geek_girl72 wrote:
Hmm, that's good point.

I was thinking about either a collection of essays on video games, with this and a few personal stories thrown in, or a book that followed the progress of video games in a personal tone. Or some combimation of the two, maybe an alternation between past and present

This essay would definitely be good in a collection.

I've always like Asimov's magazine and other anthologies because there is a guaranteed density of ideas. You know every story has at least one good idea. If you read a novel, the whole novel might have only one or two good ideas that have been stretched pretty thin.

I guess the other thing that would affect the format is where you intend to publish.
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Vault All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: