Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Murder in the Intergalactic Garden, Epilogue
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Topics: 43

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Poll Closing Reply with quote

Poll closes tomorrow, assuming we don't end up with a tie. I'll start writing the next chapter immediately after the poll closes. No matter which way the poll goes, it will be an interesting chapter and we'll be able to fit in a few of the suggestions through communication too.

Welcome To Purgatory - current storygame
Please visit my Library of completed works.
Thunderbird
Elder

Topics: 104

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving the direction the poll is heading at the moment... not so thrilled by so many readers fading out here. Tis' sad as its such an excellent work Lebby!

CHAPTER 25: Near-Light Speed (NEW CHAPTER! (12/4/2011))
Zephyrrr! And...
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: New Chapter very soon Reply with quote

DP RESULTS:

Where will John be able to do the most good?
Staying with Stokov, Bluth, and Darla, trying to get more information by working them against each other
0% [ 0 ]
Going to the cryochambers, investigating for clues there and interviewing Milo Jones
50% [ 2 ]
Going after the rogue robot and carefully testing to see if humans will be more effective at stopping it
25% [ 1 ]
Personally interviewing the four crazed passengers, see if they can corroborate Bluth's story
25% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4
Who Voted: Crunchyfrog, PopeAlessandrosXVIII, Thunderbird, Vishal Muralidharan

Author Chapter
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Chapter 9: Time is Irrelevant Reply with quote

Chapter 9: Time is Irrelevant
The Endeavor is a cold, dark, and lonely vessel, and no one knows this better than Milo Jones. He pulled a lot of strings to ensure he got onto the ship, but before Earth was even out of sight, he had a nearly fatal heart attack. He’s been frozen and stored in the cryostasis chambers ever since and he will die the instant his temperature climbs above freezing. In partial cryostasis, he talks to us like an ancient Chinese philosopher in a slow and ponderous voice. His knowledge is too valuable to the ship, so it is unlikely we will ever let him die while it’s in our power.

Just a moment ago, I was playing a deadly game like a matador, with Stokov as the bull and Bluth as the red flag. Now that I’ve left the two of them together, I can only hope Stokov can keep his temper while I search for more clues. Maybe Milo can tell me how a camoubot in the Garden could suddenly turn on a passenger. Maybe he could help me find a way to access the Captain’s files… maybe a lot of things.

I save the file for the spread pattern of the EA from camoubot 13, and hope it won’t be needed. At this rate, we’ll have to keep a file for every EA on the ship.

REPORT A13: Camoubot 13 EA Spread Pattern

I request from Cdr. Jacob Hawkins temporary reactivation of the shuttles to help me follow a lead to where Stokov may have gone… in other words I lied to my superior officer to buy me more time to solve this case before things get really bloody. He grants my request and updates me on the status of the rogue robot, which is still on the loose and its whereabouts are unknown. The sabotaged cameras make it difficult to track. We still don’t know for sure if it is a threat to humans as well, but it has made short work of 7 security robots already. The commander has raised the alert level of the ship to full alert and advised everyone to stay in their quarters.

The cryostasis chambers are connected with the medical bay and the morgue. The alien creature and the body of Victor Clemens were both waiting for me here to re-examine. Though the doctor has already done an autopsy on both of them, and I certainly couldn’t hope to do a better job, perhaps other clues await me. Unfortunately, I don’t have much time. I compare Victor’s wound to the spread pattern of the EA camoubot 9 had and it is still a clear match. I look for undocumented wounds and trace evidence on his body, but find nothing. I search his clothes and find nothing that tells me anything. A scrap of paper had something written on it in pen, but the water damage is too much to read it.

“Victor?” I suddenly hear. For a moment I thought I imagined it. The voice was so cold and unnatural, and the morgue is dark and silent. “Is that you, Victor?” I hear it again. I wish I had my pistol. I move slowly through the morgue. “Did they put you in cryostasis? Is it cold?”

I smirk when I realize it’s Milo Jones. I wonder how Jacques Arnot can handle working in this environment with Milo broadcasting like that. I enter the long cryostasis chamber, with the long columns of cryostasis pods looking like coffins, and Milo staring blankly into space, his eyes never moving or blinking, encased within a block of clear plastic. A modern day Rip Van Winkle, he even has the white beard and wrinkles. Though he is basically in a state of sleep, he looks dead. Only the lights monitoring him and his voice suggest any sign of activity at all. A thick cable connects to the back of his head and sophisticated technology operates within his brain. I don’t think he’s aware of me, so I stand for a moment and listen.

“I told you they’d find you,” Milo says. I wonder what other things Milo’s been saying lately, how he even knows about Victor. Perhaps the doctor has been talking to him? I check the system database for recordings and find another blank. Another sign of meddling, the file has been erased, not just classified. Whatever Milo has had to say, someone wanted to keep it a secret.

“You get used to it,” Milo says. “It’s not much worse than the rest of the ship. The average temperature in the active areas is 61 degrees Fahrenheit. The average over the entire ship is -201 degrees Fahrenheit.”

It gives me a shiver just thinking about it. It is quite cool in the cryostasis chambers, for obvious reasons. It makes me think about the power levels as well. I check a monitor to see if energy levels are adequate to maintain the area, and find the levels to be perfectly tuned. Of course, being the medical area, it probably has its own power source and a higher priority over other areas of the ship.

“The worst part is you can’t stop people you don’t like from visiting you,” Milo says. The tone of his voice changed to something a little more menacing, and I wonder if perhaps Milo is aware of me and not happy about my visit.

“You’ll see when you’re wife gets here. That will be superb. We can talk about it for hours. Hello Lieutenant Dunaway.”

“Hello Mr. Jones. How are you today?”

“There are no days here. Time is irrelevant.”

“Sorry to wake you, I was wondering if I could have a talk with you.”

“Of course. I have nowhere to go.”

INTERVIEW 7: Milo Jones

Milo Jones has always been knowledgeable about the ship and the things happening on it, but it seems to me he’s not telling me everything. Nonetheless, he confirmed that Victor did come to have a talk with him, and he helped Victor fix camoubot 13 as much as it could be fixed. He also provided a very compelling theory on how Victor was killed. It comes back to the missing profile. How did Victor Clemens get erased from the system database?

DP: What does John do next?

Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great chapter segment there Lebby! Its to your credit that I'm not at all lost here. Following quite well I feel at this point and that is in part due to small reminders you're weaving in skillfully to the point that they don't feel like being reminded.

The writing cannot be picked at in the least either (oh... there was a moment there when we were beginning to have a discussion with Milo where I wasn't quite sure who was speaking which lines and had to reread a few times to make sure I was following right, but I wasn't sure if I could blame the writing or my brain or distractions in the environment.)

Anyhow, Ok, so the DP seems pretty straightforward on this one, which is unusual for this tale. I think we need to immediately head over to the memory banks and figure out where the gaps are missing and look for clues - hairs, etc that may give us a lead on which SOB plotted that out. (I'm half expecting an ironic answer, that Victor may have done this to himself by accident...)

Zephyrrr! And...
Vishal Muralidharan
Respected Citizen

Topics: 24

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Chapter there Lebby! A long time since I've seen one on this tale.

Yes, the DP is quite straightforward. Do what TB said, and ALSO ask Stokov (or ask Darla to tell Stokov) to execute the protocol he created and divert energy from the non-critical areas.

I wasn't completely satisfied with the interview with Milo. It started of really well, and I expected some more answers. Why did he suddenly become hostile? I suspect he knows something about Victor's death, but we'll get back to him after we're done with the memory banks (If we don't find a great breakthrough there).

The eyes are useless if the mind is blind.
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the EA pattern for Camobot 13 didn't match anything, but somehow I'm not surprised. But Milo has a grudge against the people who command and run the ship, and I think that is significant.

I also believe that Milo is hiding something as he won't confirm that the reason Victor was killed was because his profile was erased (this would point to the killer) and he will only repeat 'how' Victor was killed.

DP - make sure it's Hawkins who executes the protocol, not Stokov. Milo specifically used the word 'sabotaged' when referring to Stokov and the internal sensors. Hawkins should also check that the protocol that has been uploaded to the system database is also sabotage free. I don't trust Stokov.

Also, I know it might be a long shot, but it may just be worth checking those manuals on promoting a new captain, to see if there are any loopholes. While everyone is still under suspicion, he may be able to promote himself.

As usual, frustratingly intriguing!
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for everyone's comments! We're really getting deep into the mystery, so I'm going to keep my commentary pretty simple. This isn't exactly a question, but I think it's something I can help point to since John would know about this:

Crunchyfrog wrote:
Also, I know it might be a long shot, but it may just be worth checking those manuals on promoting a new captain, to see if there are any loopholes. While everyone is still under suspicion, he may be able to promote himself.

You can find information about that here: system database

Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, 2 questions then:

1) how long has the captain been off the ship?
2) who is 'next in command'?

and one more
3) would we have an obvious indication if the captain status had been reassigned already?

Zephyrrr! And...
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Topics: 122

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: I Think....... Reply with quote

Much much fun here. I'm really likeing Mr. Popsicle!

The beginning seems a little shaky to me, but then again, I've been awake for several days, so it could just be me. I got confused easly right at the start, but the rest was smooth sailing!

DP.........*Srug* Go hunt down that out-of-control robot. I've just got this itch in the back of my head that there may be some sort of information in it's system that's causeing the malfunction....Maybe some data that makes it a little more "Knowledgable" than the other bots. It's just a feeling, but I'ma go with it!

More more more! We must see more!

To Be A Knight
And my first Finished work Death Day
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderbird wrote:
Ok, 2 questions then:

1) how long has the captain been off the ship?
2) who is 'next in command'?

and one more
3) would we have an obvious indication if the captain status had been reassigned already?

1) 1 week. He left on 9/22/2104 at 0900.
2) Cdr. Jacob Hawkins
3) Definitely. Captain George Willis is still the captain of the Endeavor.

@Pope, thanks for the enthusiasm and for giving us another DP option! We now have enough for a poll (but I'll give it a little more time).

Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can Milo Jones control any aspect of the ship?
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crunchyfrog wrote:
Can Milo Jones control any aspect of the ship?
He has been deliberately restricted from control of anything due to hallucinations he has at unpredictable times.

Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a minute.

Milo says TWICE that Stokov sabotaged the sensors causing Emergency mode to occur.

He also says that Stokov has uploaded a protocol to fix the problem. Trained personnel have to manually configure the systems. Could it be that Stokov has sent the ship into Emergency Mode to make sure that all the trained personnel are occupied and out of the way while he goes and does something else bad?

Also, now we know how Clemens was killed, if not why. That is, someone erased his record from the database and just waited for a bot to not recognise him and eliminate him.

That really does narrow the field, doesn't it?

Who is capable of erasing people's records from the database?

Also I've still got an itch about the lady with the missing hat - the case John was investigating when the actual murder happened. Was somebody trying to make sure that he was 'otherwise occupied at a crucial moment' too?

Who knows whether the rogue robot is also not a decoy?

Editz to add: Going to offer up another DP option. Examine the System Database and see if we can identify any damaged memory banks that would have accounted for Victor Clemens' record being removed. That would at least prove the method of murder, and eliminate a whole lot of suspects.

Milo is hiding something. Dunno whether it's because he's hiding it from John or he wants to hide it from something else. But I think there's something with the fact that some recordings of Milo's conversations have also been erased.
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poll's up, and I can't wait for the results!

Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A no-brainer in my opinion this time. Whatever we find as an outcome of option 2, it will be progress. I feel like John is getting somewhere now!

Smile
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:53 am    Post subject: Ummmmnnnsss....... Reply with quote

Well, if it's a no brainer, I must have no brain......either that, or I just seek violence!!!! Daminable rouge bot!

To Be A Knight
Mattheus
Resident

Topics: 1

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only just found this SG and have to read over the previous chapters to catch up but really enjoyed this chapter. I like the idea of a rouge robot on the loose. So I vote for hunting it down and using it for good, if that fits into the story.
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the SG Mattheus! You're very welcome here. I hope you find the other chapters and materials to be as interesting.

Poll is closed! New chapter will be started soon. Here are the results of the last poll:

John's Next Move
Investigate the physical location of the memory banks
0% [ 0 ]
Use the system database to try to locate damaged memory banks and check murder theory
60% [ 3 ]
Hunt the rogue robot
40% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 5
Who Voted: Crunchyfrog, Mattheus, PopeAlessandrosXVIII, Thunderbird, Vishal Muralidharan

PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:59 am    Post subject: Ummmmnnnsss....... Reply with quote

*Poke* I wanna sees moooore!

To Be A Knight
Author Chapter
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Chapter 10: Walking Down Memory Banks Lane Reply with quote

Chapter 10: Walking Down Memory Banks Lane
The Endeavor herself may be my most important witness, and my most reliable one too. She doesn’t lie, she documents everything, and the secrets she does have she’ll at least admit to having. So why did she suddenly forget Victor Clemens even existed? I go straight to the source of her memory to look for signs of meddling on a physical level. I’ve never actually gone to the memory banks repository before, so this may be interesting. On my way, I secure another EA pistol.

Knowing there are certain protocols for entering the repository, I look up everything I need to know. It’s a classified area, but I have clearance… as would any of the other special clearance officers as well. It’s also a sensitive area, so I find a cleanroom suit. My entering and exiting will be logged, and I can also run diagnostics. There’s already a log available which has to be loaded locally.

LOG 3: Memory Banks Repository

The last person to enter the repository was Stokov, but it was several months ago. That is, unless even more meddling happened to the log as well. The diagnostics also suggest there has been no damage to the memory, but if I’m lucky, maybe I can find something the diagnostics missed. I get in the antechamber, and put on the clean suit. I take an air shower, and I enter. Strictly speaking, I shouldn’t take my EA with me, but I keep a firm grip of it anyway. The computer announces I’ve been logged in.

The memory banks are arranged in long rows and shelves like a library. The sum of the knowledge of every person on board could fit neatly into one book sized chunk of memory, but somehow we found need to fill a whole room. Checking each and every memory cell will be time-consuming, but searching for fingerprints, hair, or skin particles would be pointless because of the clean suits that are ready for anyone just outside the repository. Anyway, I didn’t get dressed up for nothing. I have to at least give it all a quick look. Burn marks or pried open consoles should stick out.

I start with long steps. I look at the room as a whole, looking for big stuff. I find nothing. Then I take smaller steps, looking at the memory banks with a little more care, taking my time to let the details soak in. I find nothing. Then I start opening units up and eyeballing the actual memory, which is taking a lot of time, and each unit is as pristine as a morning after a snowy night.

I’m perhaps halfway through this careful search when my fatigue catches up with me again. That is, I hope it is fatigue. I’ve somehow found a helper. Mindy Sommers, wearing one of her most ridiculous of hats, is opening up a memory unit and looking inside. Then closes it and moves to the next unit. She keeps looking at me the way she does. I know she has a thing for me, and she’s pretty enough when she’s not wearing one of her hats, but I’m just not interested.

Where the hell has my mind gone? I shake my head a little and she’s vanished. I go back and check the entry log again, this time it has my name, but no one else. Of course. But I decide to speed things up. I don’t have time for investigating a murder AND having hallucinations. Unfortunately, finishing the final row, I still found nothing. If I had more time, perhaps I could do a more thorough sweep, but there’s simply no obvious indications of any tampering.

I open the door out, and I’m face-to-face with a robot. Thankfully I’m not so dull-witted yet that I forget to jump out of the way when a robot points a gun at me. As the electron rupture streaks through the doorway into the repository, I finally have my first sign of tampering to the memory banks. One of the memory units is now irreparably destroyed, though that’s the last of my problems. Warning lights flash and the computer announces an intruder has entered the memory banks repository.

When the robot steps through the door, I’m ready for it with my EA. My blast rips through its chest, but at an angle that proves to do little more than breach its protective hull. Too bad for me. The robot’s targeting capabilities are far superior to a human’s. If I peek my head out again to take another shot, I may not have a head for much longer. I can’t win a fair gun fight, so I’m going to have to fight dirty or get the hell out of here. Thing is, there’s only one door.

DP: How does John survive?

Last edited by Lebrenth on Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes!!! I'll be back to read later (most likely tomorrow but I MAY find a bit of time this eve.)

Zephyrrr! And...
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: absence Reply with quote

Sorry for the long absence... it's been rather hectic. I'll be watching closely though, so if anyone has questions, I'm ready to give answers.

Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspected it would take much longer to work through this chapter than it did. There were far fewer links than I'm used to. As a result, I delayed getting to it a bit until I could find enough time and focus to do it justice. Despite being a bit less taxing than expected, I still loved this chapter.

It was extremely frustrating as well - in a good way. I fully expected we'd find a missing memory slot... but perhaps the fact that we haven't says as much. Additionally, the log is clear that ALL memory units are fully functional. So we have two firm conclusions we may draw.

1) Stokov most likely is the one who messed with the memory. Now we must know why. If it were not him, it would've had to be a teleporting ghost or someone who logged in long before. I guess we can't see back far enough to know for certain but I wonder if there's a way we can isolate the time of the data disapearance... hmm...

This does not fully incriminate him any more than anything else has and he continues to be the easy patsy - the one we find most easily blamed for everything. I don't buy it. But I do now think he knows yet more he hasn't explained to us still. This guy's like a frickin' onion!

2) Whoever tampered with the memory was good enough to simply 'switch out' the memory CELL that contained the data. Thus the system did not detect a problem on a routine diagnostic and why there appears to be all memory cells in order. So now we need to get an idea of who/where a blank and newly formated memory cell may be obtained.

As for the DP... It's time to pull out the ol' blow out the cieling overhead to smash and distract then blow out the floor beneath when the robot can't target you maneuver. Try not to be in the room for long as a fire will cause a chemical bath we'd rather avoid.

Zephyrrr! And...
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderbird wrote:
As for the DP... It's time to pull out the ol' blow out the cieling overhead to smash and distract then blow out the floor beneath when the robot can't target you maneuver. Try not to be in the room for long as a fire will cause a chemical bath we'd rather avoid.

The EA pistol is great for piercing holes, but not for blasting out large sections of walls, ceilings, or floors. Do we have any other suggestions? How about questions? I wonder if I should send a PM to the current players, just to make sure everyone has seen the new chapter...

Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

may not be a bad idea there Lebs... we're having a bit of a slow time with very core IFians taking a timeout... you're not the only one suffering this lack of response problem.

I'll think some more on that matter then.

Zephyrrr! And...
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindy Summers... I KNEW she'd turn up somewhere. Pity it's just a halucination. Or is it? I've had this feeling all along she's part of it all - having lost her hat and getting John to look for it (getting him out of the way) at a crucial point.

Now if I understand correctly, Clemens was fired at by a robot because the robot didn't recognise him - he'd been erased from the memory. So why is a robot firing at John now? Has the robot been tasked to seek and destroy? Or has John just been erased from the computer memory also?

Is the robot a hallucination also?

Gawd, I don't know how he can handle this. If there's an alert that an intruder is in the memory banks, then someones going to come running to investigate. Apart from waiting for someone to come and rescue him - meaning that all the memory banks could end up being destroyed (along with any evidence) I am not really sure what he can do.

What weaknesses of the robot could John possibly exploit?
Vishal Muralidharan
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just came back... I'll read this in a moment and have suggestion up.

Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Robo Attack Reply with quote

Oh hey! Where did these posts come from? I guess I missed the email.
Crunchyfrog wrote:
Or has John just been erased from the computer memory also?

Is the robot a hallucination also?

John is confident that this is not a hallucination as it seems far too vivid and intense, however, perception is everything. If he were hallucinating, he could not be completely certain of anything. I'm going to sneak in a little information in response to your other question, though time is quite short. John can check the database for his own profile and he will see that he is still there. He has not been deleted. In all likelihood, this robot is the rogue that has been ignoring commands.

Crunchyfrog wrote:
What weaknesses of the robot could John possibly exploit?

The best information for this question is in supplemental under "Robots". ... But basically you have electromagnetism, high amounts of radiation, and liquid when its shell is breached. It's shell has been breached, but there isn't really any liquid around to use, not even in the sprinklers (which are replaced with chemical misters in the memory banks storage area).

However, there certainly will be an alert that catches everyone's attention, so "Try hiding from the robot until help arrives" is a valid poll option.

Vishal Muralidharan
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't think we can hide long from the robot. I guess it would have some sort of mechanism to detect life, but as of now, I have no better idea, other than Tbird's suggestion of course.

Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vishal Muralidharan wrote:
I really don't think we can hide long from the robot. I guess it would have some sort of mechanism to detect life, but as of now, I have no better idea, other than Tbird's suggestion of course.

Nope, no real mechanism that specifically detects life. It has "eyes" essentially which is uses to recognize things like people. It can also see in the infrared spectrum, giving it night vision.

Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we make ourselves unrecognisable as a human? Put a jacket over the head with one arm sticking up at the top? Would that be enough to fool it?
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: hand-headed Reply with quote

Crunchyfrog wrote:
Can we make ourselves unrecognisable as a human? Put a jacket over the head with one arm sticking up at the top? Would that be enough to fool it?

Might be fun to try it, anyway. It is possible to confuse the robots, yes. Of course, if it's on a shooting rampage, it might not care if the target is a human or a tall hand-headed alien.

Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radiation might not be a good tactic, but electromagnetism might. Is there anything in the memory bank room that might serve to stall the robot a little?
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crunchyfrog wrote:
Radiation might not be a good tactic, but electromagnetism might. Is there anything in the memory bank room that might serve to stall the robot a little?
The memory banks use magnets, but they're kind of small. There is also a lot of electricity running through power cables in the ceiling.

Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit hazy on my physics, but throwing something upwards towards the ceiling and causing the bot to shoot at it may be the thing. Severed electrical cables snaking around etc... might just be the ticket...
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: I Think....... Reply with quote

I like the chapter! Zer gut!

Strickly speaking, it was a little more informational then usual, even with the lack of links. . . . I's starting to have ghost in a shell feelings here with the apearance of the girl. . . . The log for the ship says she's not there, so she can't have been real. ut then, I'm not cinvinced he was "Just seeing things" eighter. . . . . I think the ship is pulling a Lily C.A.T. on us here and doing it's own mumbo jumbo! GRAH!

DP....DP.....Well, we can find out if it's attacking movement by throwing something in front of it. If it attacks movement, then it can be distracted long enough for our hero to get off a shot, and pray it hits the eyes. I say aim for the head. Take out ALL it's targeting!!!

That's me idears! Keep up the good work!

To Be A Knight
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Poll Reply with quote

The poll is up! There is a little combining of the options, you may see, but here we are. I'm going to say this point blank: At least one of the options will get John killed. Please choose wisely.

LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Topics: 41

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't feel a quick disguise would really work, so I went for the other option to break your poll - but preferably not something involving electromagnets. Not completely sure how these memory banks works, but I know magnets can wipe harddrives, and I think that would probably be bad if he manages to wipe the memory completely.

A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi
Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Lebrenth
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, Lordy. Magnets aren't part of the plan, but electricity is, so we'll see how that turns out. And it looks like we have another vote too. Looks like I'll be starting the next chapter soon.

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Vault All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: