Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Save Grargoth! Chapter 19 is ~New~
Goto page 1, 2  Next

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Topics: 122

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Save Grargoth! Chapter 19 is ~New~ Reply with quote

Grargoth is a city. Like any city, it has building, streets, sewers, alleys, various modes of transportation, and residents. Some friendly, some not. This place, when you look at it, seems quite normal.

It's not. There are things here that are enough to turn most peoples heads, and all they'd have to do is take a step. But do not fear, there is a guide, if you can catch him. There is fun to be had, if you can learn where to look. And there is also....a problem.....

This city needs help, not that it's residents know it. But I do. And I'm looking for some help.

I'm looking for some brave adventurers to save my fine city. Anyone wishing to participate in this crusade please make a post to that affect. I will then PM those who join and give them the rules. Those of you who wish to simply sit back and watch, you'll just have to be surprised.

P.S. New adventurers are always welcome!

Last edited by PopeAlessandrosXVIII on Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:23 am; edited 21 times in total
Vishal Muralidharan
Respected Citizen

Topics: 24

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shall help you on your quest to save your fine city.

When do we begin?

The eyes are useless if the mind is blind.
Vikas Muralidharan
Respected Citizen

Topics: 30

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ME TOO! I wanna help as well! Very Happy
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:01 am    Post subject: Chapter 1 Reply with quote

Chapter 1

Quite and inconspicuous, I sit on the roof of one of my taller buildings. I watch hopefully as 2 newcomers approach my city. Yes, my city. From sewers to sky, this place is mine. I needed this, needed them. If my city is to survive, I need as much help as I can get. As soon as they break the barrier around my city, entering into the invisible dome that keeps my fair city hidden, I can hear them. I must listen, learn, then find a way to use them. . .

The two figure approach the place indicated on the map for “Grargoth” city. Seeing only open plain, they walk walk on, a good 100 yards apart, they ignore each other for the most part. Suddenly, the both stop dead. Rising out of nowhere, or so it seems, the city of Grargoth appears.

Monstrous skyscrapers peer over the high wall which looks to encircle the whole city. The sky above the city shows the colors of dawn, when just behind they can see mid day light. No longer content to walk alone, the taller figure heads for the other. The shorter one watches the approach.

Ten feet away, a pause. Finally, the taller one speaks.

“Hey there, I'm Iris! You here for the party too?” She jokes. Looking at the guy, she can't stop grinning. His white gi and black belt clearly showing his talents off, like a banner. He is clearly Asian, and not too bad to look at, even with the road worn bare feet poking out of the lush grass beneath them.

The man looks back. Her semi punk getup revealing much of her figure. Her cross necklace and belt bracelet matching her dangley cross earrings. The tight purple shirt with the word 'Primrose' running across the chest. His eyes pan up to her blond, almost silvery hair, capped of by a blue puffy hat. “If by party you mean did I receive an invitation to this place, then yes.”

Holding up a thin device, he presses the devices only imperfection. A small hologram of a black figure pops up from the screen.

-To all whom will listen, I need your help. My city is falling. Slowly but surely. If nothing is done, it will be gone before the year is out. Anyone, please, this is my final plea. Save Grargoth.-

As soon as the message finishes, the screen's display flattens out into a map. A blinking red dot on the screen labeled “Grargoth” stands next to a little arrow labeled “Me” Iris giggles and pulls out an identical device, the map displayed. Suddenly the arrow grows sightly and re-labels itself “Us” Unable to hold off, Iris lets out a throaty laugh.

Looking at the man she chirps, “I guess this means we're partners now! Oh! I forgot, what's your name?” He smiles back, “My name is Lee, Jack Lee. And I guess I wouldn't mind traveling with a nice girl like you.” Blushing, she steps back, and punches a fist into the air. “Ya-Ho! If that's how it is, that that's how it'll be! On to Grargoth!”

His smile widening he falls in beside her as she charges full speed towards the looming city. Still half a mile from the only gate in sight, thick black bars framed by a gray archway. Birds line the archway and what look like a gargoyle sits off to the right side. “Go go go Jack, I wanna be there first!” she cries, speeding up for the last hundred yards.

They both skid to a halt as the 'gargoyle' turns to look at them. Iris recognizes what it is now, but she can't believe her eyes. “It'sa . . .pterodactyl. I don't believe it...” She whispers. Jack nods in agreement. Tilting it's head back and forth it seems to be examining them. Suddenly it opens it's beak and says quite clearly “Coming in are you? Good to see some new faces”

Pressing it's 'thumb' against something on the archway, there's a loud crack as the gates part. Swinging inwards, it's surprisingly quiet. “Welcome to Grargoth, the city between. I hope you enjoy your time.” The creature goes back to watching the open plain. With incredulous looks at one another, the newly formed team enters this strange new world.

Watching them wander into my city, a noise catches my attention. Following the sound upwards my gaze lands on an unusual site. “Well well now, I see hope if things continue this way...” I croon. With a nod I make arrangements for the new guests, praying for my dear city's future.

Last edited by PopeAlessandrosXVIII on Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:51 pm; edited 8 times in total
Vikas Muralidharan
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah! Amazing man!!! Hehe! Starting a romance between Jack and Iris...... good idea! Anyway...... now we kno wat has happenned but we still Dont kno what will happen..... will we meet a world famous rock star? ( you know what Im hinting at but we need Splitpin's approval) anyway.... NICE WRITING!!!!
Thunderbird
Elder

Topics: 104

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, will offer my assistance. Laughing

CHAPTER 25: Near-Light Speed (NEW CHAPTER! (12/4/2011))
Zephyrrr! And...
kkdestiny
Mayor

Topics: 56

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm as will I. Have fun with the character Razz

"The Freedom of Magic" Just got its THIRD chapter up!

Hope you all find the time to read them Very Happy *goes off to look for an SG to read*

Note to self: The Elven Moon; Coin; SVI; Black Animals; Two Wolves; Angel Cat
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:27 am    Post subject: Chapter 2 Reply with quote

Chapter 2

Landing near a large park near the front gate, I watch as the new arrivals exit their craft. I had watched the plane coming down, giving a little help to ensure no damage to my fine city. Yes yes, new people, more help. That's what I need. Take help, whatever the form. Many exit the craft, good, more the better. My dear city may yet have a chance. I can use this, use them....

He can't believe it. He, Peter Thornston, is going to be late. Flipping his hair blonde impatiently, he waits for someone to do something. His leather pants creak as he shifts. “Hello, someone needs to get me out of here! I have a show in six hours!” Glaring around angrily at his mob of hired goons, looking like penguins, all of them, he waves towards a nearby street. “Someone, call a cab, now!” Crossing his arms across his purple low v clad chest, he starts tapping an impatient foot.

One of the goons breaks off from the mass, and starts trying to flag down a taxi. Peter whips out a cell and dials his agent. 'He is SO fired! Book me on a private flight with a sub standard jet. This will NOT be tolerated!' “ARGH!” He drops the phone, which is now emitting a high pitched screeching sound.

Several of his men suddenly begin shouting. Looking away from the obviously defective device, he looks up to see what's causing the scare. 'Oh dear lord' His mouth gaping open, he watches what can only be described as a dragon flies overhead. Black claws glistening in the early morning sun. Red scales and bat like wings creating a frightening site. Emitting a low hissing roar, it passes over, barley causing even a slight stir in the upper branches of nearby trees.

Eyes wide, Peter stares after the impossible creature as it disappears around a tall building. Gaping like a fish out of water, he finally finds his voice again. “Ok, you all saw that, right? I'm not going crazy. That was a dragon, right?!” The goons, still staring, just nod.

Meanwhile......

Jack and Iris had seen the plane coming down. Worried about it's passengers, they'd decided to check it out. Only one street over, they soon came withing sight of the crash, except there was no crash. The plane was just sitting there, pretty as a picture. Before they had time to hike over to see if everyone was alright, Jack had pulled Iris out of the way as something very large and red flew past. Gawking after it, Iris let out an awed “Cool...”

As the Dragon passes behind a building on the other side of an open park, Iris and Jack continue on the the crash/landing site.

Approaching the mass of people, the watch a flamboyantly dressed guy flail his arms about, yelling something about the nuthouse. Suddenly, several men in back suits run towards them. Peter watches them, baffled a little. Iris looks over at Jack. “Um, I think we may not be welcome.”

They are soon looking down the barrels of several pistols. Jack puts his hands up and motions for Iris to do the same. “Eheheheh” She giggles nervously and follow suit. Peter pushes through his men to see what the fuss is about THIS time. Coming to the front he spies the little karate dude and the girl who could pass as one of his fans.

“Guns down, I wanna ask some questions.” He barks to his goons. Crossing over to the two, hand still up, he jets out, “ Ok, where am I, what the hell was that, who are you, and how do I get out of here?” A little blown away by the barrage of questions, Iris just stares at the guy, blinking. Jack, on the other hand, does his best to answer, “ This is Grargoth, that was a Red Dragon, I am Jack and this is Iris.” Dropping his hands down, Jack concludes, “As for leaving, I would say out the front gate, but...”

Hearing her partner trail off, she too drops her arms, and turns to follow his line of sight. “Well don't that beat all?” She mumbles. Not one block away, where the gate had once stood high above all the surrounding buildings, is a solid stone wall. “But? But?! But what?!?!” Peter roars. Looking back at the near hysterical man Iris chuckles, “But, my good man, it's gone”

Peter stares dumbfounded at the girl. Head falling into his hands, he sighs heavily. Muttering through his hands, he asks, “Please tell me you're kidding?” Iris shakes her head, “Nope, yer stuck here dude!” Looking him over closely sh inquires, “You're....Peter Thornston aren’t you?” He nods, off in his own thought at the moment. Jack lift a questioning eyebrow.

“Oh, sorry Jack, I shoulda figured you didn't keep up with this kind of thing” she giggles out. Then, giving him a wink, she explains, “Peter Thornston, pop star. He's played in several countries, and is the antithesis of the teenage ideal.” “I see” Jack says nodding, “That explains the dog and pony show” he says, nodding towards the mass of men in black.

Looking around at the big men with guns, Iris does some quick calculating. Leaning over towards Jack, she whispers something into his ear. He tilts his head, considering. After a few seconds, he looks up at the girl, bouncing on her heels a little impatiently. He nods. Uttering a little whoop, she turns to the crestfallen pop star. Stepping forward, she pokes his hands gently. Peter lifts his head up a little, looking at her through his fingers.

“Look,” she starts, “Jack and I are here because this city is in some kind of crisis. We're not sure what it is yet, or if it has anything to do with that oversized lizard we just saw. But it may not be very safe around here.” Standing up strait, she announces proudly, “And while Jack and I are gonna be heroes one day, doesn’t mean we couldn't use a little extra help”

“I figure, the gate has to show up somewhere in this city at all times, and if we look around we'll eventually run into it.” Peter's hands come down, and he crosses his arms, “So what you're saying,” he surmises,”is you'd like me to join you in your little adventure until the exit magically appears and I can get the hell out of this crazy place?”

Iris nods enthusiasticly. Watching the girl bounce up and down in excitement, and the karate man, Jack staring him patiently, he sighs a deep sigh. “That's the best suggestion I've heard so far.” Pointing a thumb over his shoulder at his lackeys he adds, “Not that those morons have made any. I'll be happy just having someone with a brain to talk to for now.”

Jack shakes his head sadly at the way this guy belittles his help, but even he has to admit, these guys don't seem the talkative type. He smiles happily at Iris as she jumps into the air, punching the air with a loud, “Ya-ho!!!” Peter's eyebrows raise, watching her exposed stomach reveal itself a bit more in her exuberant display. 'And at least I'll have something nice to look at' Grabbing both the boys round the neck, she turns them towards the city's sunrise. Cutting between skyscrapers, it bathes the heroes in it's bright orange glow.

Like a scene straight out of a fantasy film, they walk into the light, a faint nimbus surrounding the team.

Good, Good! It is going well. So much life, so diverse. I can see it. But, I need more power. I watch them, epic in their mortal way. I bend the light so I can see them better. Yes, let them go. I'll send Him out. I know He will do it right. He knows how these mortals think. With a wave, he heads towards the park from one of his thousands of hideouts. Yes, this is it. This is the beginning. . .

To Be A Knight
And my first Finished work Death Day
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to assist in the saving of Gargoth! Very Happy
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject: Chapter 3 Reply with quote

Chapter 3

Flitting across to the eastern side of town, I watch a most amusing sight. Beyond my city, time flows differently. While it is nightfall beyond it's boarders, within it approaches mid morning. I watch a man approach, strong and defiant looking. As he crosses from his world into mine, he erupts into a pillar of flame.

Such power! Unable to contain myself, a do a little dance of glee. Yes, yes, yes! This is more help indeed. After a short time, I settle, watching as the flame disappears and is replaced by a pile of ashes. Hmmmm....That my be a hindrance here within the city.

With a little flick of my fingers, a dark stone ring appears hovering above my palm. With a snap the bauble flies from my hand to the pile of ash. This should help, if only within' the city.

Having only a moment to think 'What the?' Raphael undergoes his morning 'death'. But, unlike most morning, in mere moments he found himself 'alive' again. Looking about, Raphael comes to a startling realization. 'It's morning' Look up at the sun for the first time in many a year, the man smiles as he basks in it warm light.

'Unusual day.' Looking down he lets out a “Crap” An unfortunate side effect of bursting into flame every morning. Glancing around Raphael spies a city. 'That wasn't there a minuet ago' The city seems fortified with a high wall, but that poses no problem for him. 'I might as well head there for some clothes.'

Clenching his fists in determination, he starts off towards the city, only to stop a moment later. Looking down at his right hand, he spots something odd in what's turning out to be a series of odd occurrences. Upon the middle finger of his right hand is a ring. Flipping his hand over he sees that the whole ring seems to be made of smooth, black stone.

Not uncomfortable on his finger, he decides to leave it on. 'It may have something to do with why I'm on my feet at this time of day.' Enjoying his new freedom, he decides to take his time getting in among those buildings. 'Under their cold shadows, it'll be just like a full moon night.' With a youthful laugh, Raphael starts running through the open field.

Zig-zagging around rock and bush, he feels young again. The sun dances across his exposed flesh. Deceptively youthful in appearance, the smooth mid 20 body hides a man aged far beyond a normal human's lifespan. Feeling a joy he'd long forgotten under the sun's warm rays, he collapses in a heap of dry grass. Breathing hard, he brings his hand up to examine the ring again.

“Beautiful” he mumbles under his breath. Arching his neck he looks at the city walls, a brisk walk away. Rolling over suddenly, he watches an astounding display. Coming from behind a building, what he can only describe as an angel swings a long sword in a high arch above he head. Following close behind is a creature that looks like a mistake of God.

Sitting up he watches the mixture of man, lion, bat, and scorpion lets out an unearthly bellow. The angel swings down hard at it's head. Ducking to the side, the beast lashes forward with it's barbed tail. Deflecting the blow, the angel swoops down beneath the the top of the wall. The creature follows a moment later, the sounds from their battle vanishing with them.

Wide eyed and slack jawed, Raphael stares at the place the creatures had just vacated. Unable to bring about a coherent thought, he lets out the only words his mind can grasp. “Well damn. . .”

Chuckling at his stunned demeanor, I shift the combatants back to where they belong. Non residents must only pass through. Hoping he enjoys his gift, I flit over to another part of my city. He will come, yes, and he will help. Twitching, I feel a...well now......

To Be A Knight
crazybookgal
Citizen

Topics: 12

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would also like to lend my services!!!
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:22 am    Post subject: Chapter 4 Reply with quote

Chapter 4

I look down upon the new arrival. Old, yes, but open. Versatile, flexible. I see much potential here. Maybe even a new resident... I can see it, the place for her. Help, much help with open wisdom. Looking about I see her move into the main stream of people. Hope her heart is well...

“Well now, when I set out on this little trek, who'da thunk I'd end up in such a place.” Sarah McKinny mutters in wonder. Not moments before, she had been walking down an abandon dirt road in the middle of nowhere. The sudden change in scenery giving her only a moment fright. Looking about at the glass buildings towering over her, Sarah smiles a little smile. “If I be dead, or dreaming, this may well be what I came lookin' for, and pray not to wake.”

Having grown up in a small farming community, away from all the lights and glam, just this alley leading onto a much larger street is a sight to her tired old eyes. Stepping out on to the sidewalk, the locals give her polite smiles and nods. She watches, fascinated, as a man no higher than her knee tips his hat as he passes by. Grinning like a silly little girl, she stares after him until something a bit more interesting passes on the sidewalk across the street.

Towering high above the other passersby, a man shaped robot ducks under a bakery sign on his way, God knows where. Feeling the wonder of a baby opening it's eyes for the first time, Sarah bathes in the marvels of the magical place she's found. “My word. This is truly a sight to behold, and well worth the walk” She chuckles at that last part.

Oh, how wonderful! Such a variety. I can now begin preparations. With this, I'll not have to see my beloved city parish. I move away to the center. Feeling it pulse, I let myself relax as it runs through me. Yes, yes...My dear city, live and continue your flow...

To Be A Knight

Last edited by PopeAlessandrosXVIII on Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:34 am    Post subject: Chapter 5 Reply with quote

Letting my mind drift, I watch the 'team' move on to Grargoth Central Avenue. Through the eyes of my city, I keeps tabs on them. Yes, move on, find what you came for. Let my city flow into you, as you likewise flow into it. Center gives a little jolt with each step of all my new ones.

Looking down, my heart falls once again at the sight. Just wait, it will come. Through time, it will return.

Iris bounds forward, turning around to motion for the boys to hurry up. Jack smiles at her her antics. Looking over at the young idol, he notes a none to pure gleam to his stare. Sighing, he picks up his pace. 'I can't exactly disapprove. Most men think with only one head at a time.' Too focused on the job he's come here to do, Jack's many years of disciplined training keeps his mind from such thoughts.

Not so trained in the art of self control, Peter watches her bouncing movements in open appreciation. 'Thank God, at least this isn't a total bummer' With a “Ugh” he increases his speeds to catch up with his new companions. Iris, meanwhile, is no idiot. She knows the major reason the all star consented to coming with. 'I'm fine, as long as it's eyes. And the 30 gun back-up is well worth putting up with a little ogling'

The team turns a corner onto what looks to be the main street of Grargoth. Looking up, they can read a sign stating that it's called -Grargoth Central Avenue-. Iris feels a little tug on her sleeve. Looking back, she sees the tugger is Peter. He's staring slack-jawed at something on the other side of the street. Glancing over she has to fight not to follow suit.

Standing behind a grand street stand full of fruits and vegetables, is a giant of a man. Three times the height of the stand itself, he calls out, “Fresh fruit and veggies! Picked today from the finest farm in all Telaria! Come get'em while they're fresh!” An old woman stops and picks out a few bright red apples. Surprisingly deft, the man takes her money and bags the fruits with a practiced hand.

Recovering quickly, Jack looks up and down the street. Many such stands line the street on either side for two blocks. Many of the vendors look to not be human. A sudden loud beeping causes all of them to jump, Peter letting out a little “Eep!” Jack and Iris both pull out their invitations, the source of the beeps. The screen is displaying a large arrow pointing down the street, with the word 'GUIDE' in bold beside it.

Following where the arrow points to, they spot a wiry little man is a drab gray suit watching them. The red of his undershirt matching the band of red around his gray wide brimmed hat. Peter looks him up and down and mutters, “Can someone call wardrobe and a plastic surgeon? He seriously needs a nose job.” Iris nods in agreement, the long pointed protuberance making him look rather silly. Then she notices his ears.

Rubbing her eyes to make sure she's not seeing things, she looks again and confirms it. His ears, tall as his hat, and pointed, lay flat against his head. Poking through holes in his hat, they are most definitely are NOT human. Jack makes the same notes about him, then glances back at the invitation. Turning it side to side, the arrow remains trained in the guy in gray.

“Well, if he's a guide,” Peter huffs, “Then maybe he can show us the way out of here.” A little disappointed to be losing the entourage so soon, Iris chirps, “I bet he can!” Taking a few steps towards the 'man', she stops short as he vanishes around a corner. “Hey!” She cries. “Wait up!” She gets ready to chase him, but Jack puts a hand on her arm. Whipping around, she looks own at his invitation.

Sigh, always has to make it hard, he does. A tingle ripples over my shoulder. More, yes more, perhaps? Detaching from the center, I move back to the outside. Looking over, south this time. Unusual, but I can use all at this time. With a few hard strokes, I move to where I can see it with my own eyes. Come, yes come to my city. Bring it all with you...

To Be A Knight

Last edited by PopeAlessandrosXVIII on Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:31 am; edited 2 times in total
Vishal Muralidharan
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A world famous pop-star falling for Iris?!

Anyway, towards the end of the chapter, I noticed that Iris was spelt Isis, that is one thing which will have to be corrected. Who is this guide? The most obvious thing is to follow him, assuming that our magical invitation still points us to where he is.

That would be the most obvious thing to do as of now...

PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:05 am    Post subject: Chapter 6 Reply with quote

Chapter 6

I see him approach. Oh no, that wasn't good. That should not happen! Rushing back to Center, I immerse myself quickly. That MUST be repaired! Foolish Trog! Hurry and give them what they need. If this fails, don't forget, our fate is yours. Good. It is done. Collapsing from the effort, it is all I can to to cover myself. Unnecessary, but it comforts me. Soft. From a place I'd soon not lose. Quickly now, quickly..... Resting on the floor before Center, I sleep....

With a resounding belch, Skrangold surveys the illusion in front of him. It has to be an illusion, what else can it me? There's no way there are rally castles that big in the world. He should know! He's traveled most of it. Looking behind him Skrangold sees the road he just walked on vanish with a little pop. A few feet behind him he can see the line light from a setting sun he can see off to his right.

Then, looking up, he scratches his greasy scraggly haired head. 'Another sun, huh?' Adjusting his oft abused habit, he shrugs. 'Ah well, all the more time to find a decent drink'. Sauntering forward, Skrangold looks for this castle town's entrance. Noisy in there. Reaching the wall around the town, he looks left and right. 'Which way indeed'. Then, without warning, a large metal gate appears before him.

'Huh'. The prehistoric avian looks around the gate's right-hand post and the man. Scratching the back of his leg with a mesh sandaled foot, it takes the man a few moments to realize he's being watched. Gazing up at the odd creature, he calls, “Oi, Gatekeeper, mind letting an old man in? Or would you rather I blast my way in?” Cuckling softly, the flying dinosaur opens the gate. “Welcome to Grargoth, the city between my friend. Enjoy!”

With a huff, Skrangold hustles in, muttering “Bout time you deformed talking bat...” Looking around, it's all towers as far as he can see. Looking off to the right, he spies a food kart. “Might as well grab a bite” He muses. Shambling over, he cracks out one of his more foul gaseous expulsions. The vendor seems unaffected by the odor, which is odd considering the size of his nose...

Standing only a foot taller than the kart holding his wares, the mans beard could easily be tucked into his belt. A large nose and beetle black eyes peek out from behind the mass of hair. “Me'epya?” He inquires. Taking a few seconds to translate, Skrangold replies, “Whatever you serve, but make it the biggest.”

“Y'sir” the vendor says as he pops open the hatch to his kart. Steam billows out, and as he reaches in for the contents, Skrangold feels a little stirring of interest at this new magic. Watching him pull out a rather thick sausage, he can feel his stomach churn. 'Yeh, that's what I need' Pileing several sauces, and vegetables, on top of the meat he'd slid comfortably into some odd shaped bread, the vendor gives it the works.

Handing it to the customer, he inquires, “Sir, wha formah pay y'got?” Pausing mid bite, the old man lowers the meaty meal awaiting him. “Well, what do you take?” Feeling around, Skrangold curses his lack of funds. “Wehya,” the small man says, leaning on his kart, “Mooney oh corse. An jouls'er good. Ah also teek mahjic an stoorehs.” Running over the list in his head, he talk a minuet to do some translating.

'Ok, so gold, jewels, magic, and....' Baffled by the last option, he has to ask, “Stories? You take stories as payment?” Standing up, the man looks eager. “Yeh gut un sir?” Nodding, Skrangold begins recalling one of his many adventure in his younger years. Back when he was an apprentice, his days were much more exciting. Now that he's seen all he cares to, it's enough to revel in the basic human pleasures. No more aspirations to be the best. But, as he tells his tale, a little of the old vigor enters his voice.

Remembering the way he used to be so passionate in his studies. How his heart longed for the miller's daughter, Larizia. As he concludes the story, his feeling settle back in to the old vault in his heart. Buried beneath pile upon pile of failures and disappointments. Back to the place where he once had faith in the race of man.

With a cough, he scarfs down the last of the sausage. The small man is humming, looking as if that little spin was like finding a bag of precious stones next to a privy. Trading humming for whistling, the diminutive man closes his stand and starts dragging it off down a cobblestone road. “Weird guy,” Skrangold mutters at his retreating back.

My eyes crack open after an hour. No! I can't let it go. Standing, I stretch, my wings brushing Center's walls. Center is not a good place for resting. Tieing on my cover, I exit Center again. South side gate appeared. I guess Tanomu feels it now. Shifting over, I flutter to where I can see with my own eyes. I watch the earth child walk away from the new one, a healthy glow about him. Yes! Yes, so soon, More, I need more...so much more....

To Be A Knight
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:40 am    Post subject: Chapter 7 Reply with quote

Chapter 7

Looking back outside my walls, I watch the powerful one approach. Still stiff from my nap in Center, I give my joints a few quick pops. Yes, better. I can't let it pass. My ear twitches. Flicking my head over, I gaze off towards the tall building. Oh bother....

Surveying the wall before him, Raphael gauges the power needed to venture over it. Overcome by a curiosity to see those, 'creatures' again, he draws his power in. Heating the air beneath his hands, he focuses it into a steady stream aimed straight down. Lifting off slowly, he puts in a strong blast to boost his speed. In no time he finds himself standing on the gray stone wall.

Buildings from what look like the middle ages fan out before him. Dotted with tall, more new age buildings, the section of the city he sees before him makes little sense. Creatures he knows to have either died out, or never existed, wander the streets side-by-side with normal looking humans. The humans, too, confuse him. Some in modern day business suits chatting casually with what look to be knights.

Chuckling at the sheer lunacy of the sights before him, Raphael jumps down off the wall. Creating a cushion of hot air to catch himself, he lands with all the grace of a leopard. Walking, unashamed, towards a group of drably dressed women chatting on a street corner, he stops a few feet shy of the group. The women pause in their chatter to look over at the sight.

Smiling kindheartedly at him, one of them approaches and asks, “Can I help you dear?” With a curt nod, Raphael states, “I'm new here, and I'd like to ask a few questions.” Shuffling in behind the one who'd addresses him, the women are all now chuckling appreciatively. “Anything dear,” the woman replies. “For starters,” he begins, “What is this place? What were those things I saw above here not a minuet ago? And finally,” glancing down at himself he can't hold back a grin, “You wouldn't happen to know a place for me to purchase some garments would you?”

Wavinga 'hush' hand to the gaggle behind her, the woman stifles own giggles and says, “Well, this is Grargoth, the city between, those ones you saw above most likely came from either Narla or Panuzou, I'm not sure what races they were. And as for coverings,” Swatting at one of the younger girls tugging her sleeves she continues, “Darla here owns a tailoring shop. If you're willing to wait, she can have an outfit done by the end of the day.

“Otherwise there are a few pre made clothing shops down the way.” She points at a large road behind her. “Or, of course, there are other private tailors nearby, if you're looking for a specific style. Musing over the options, Raphael nods his thanks. Sitting down at a nearby stone bench, he crosses his right leg over his left. He hadn't been carrying any money on this particular trek, but perhaps they'd take other forms of payment....

Batting back the intruder, I seal the small tear. Looking back at the powerful one, I do a little wiggle at the girls' energy. Flittering closer, I can hear them prattling on about girl things. Silliness. But they do not know, so it is good that they go on with their silliness. They can't see....Looking away from it, I can't let it happen. I won't!

To Be A Knight

Last edited by PopeAlessandrosXVIII on Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:50 am; edited 1 time in total
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Chapter 8 Reply with quote

Chapter 8

I return to Center. I need to look over it all again. A ripple stops me mid flap. Off at the eastern edge, my dome is penetrated. Slow, and steady. Soft and cautious. I've felt this before. A fortuitous addition indeed. Skirting around a skyscraper to see her with my eyes, I lock on to her form, bathed in the new day's light. Hand held steady over my invitation, I read her. Interesting.....F

Melanie brushes her fingers over the device's smooth surface. Under her fingers, she can feel a line. The line seems to pull her where she needs to go. Only days earlier she stood on her stoop, retrieving said device from her mailbox.

Living alone with her disability had pulled her into a routine. Not wanting sympathy from her neighbors, she'd go down and back without her cane. Usually she could recognize most of her pieces of mail by feel, but the device had thrown her for a loop. Pulling it from the mailbox, she began examining it with both hands. Suddenly, she felt her knees weaken as her mind was flooded with images. Both wondrous, and terrible, the visions before her milky blue eyes faded slowly.

Panting slightly, she rose to her feet. Just as sudden as the images, a voice rang out from the device.

-To all whom will listen, I need your help. My city is falling. Slowly but surely. If nothing is done, it will be gone before the year is out. Anyone, please, this is my final plea. Save Grargoth.-

When the voice stopped, one last vision appeared. This one set her resolve then and there. If this person thought she could help, she would do anything in her power to help. She'd packed a bag, gave notice at work, and with her landlord, and followed the devices draw to what she saw as her destiny.

Following that pull has lead her to this moment, and with open mind and heart, she presses on. The gatekeeper watches her closely. Blinking, she suddenly sees herself walking through tall grass. Stopping, she locks gazes with herself. The one whose eyes she's seeing through seem rather high above. After a moment the darkness descends once again. Her head snaps to the side at the sound of a voice.

Cracked and harsh, it sounds almost like a crow that had learned to speak. “Welcome, child, to Grargoth, the city between. May you find your true way.” She steps back as she hears the creaking of a large gate moving. She hears a chuckle from above to her right. Steeling herself, she walks confidently forward. Using the sounds around her to gauge her surroundings, she walks several yards before hearing the gate slam shut behind her.

Feeling around with her heart, she feels something very strong coming from above. Focusing on the feeling, her body is overwhelmed by a depth of sadness she's felt once before. Her eyes fill with tears in memory of it. Feeling it again now, here, so close to the source pains her far worse than the first time. “Let me help you” Her voice, barley above a whisper, wafts from her lips to the air above. Falling on to the ears of the one above, she can feel a breath of relief before the thing's presence vanishes.

Her eyes, unseeing, but full of longing, haunt me as I return to Center. Landing on the roof above it, I look to my sun. Another feels it. Perhaps not as I do, but..... Curling my wings around me, I crouch down. The chilled tiles beneath my toes pulling a shiver from my already sob wracked frame. With a final sniffle, I let my wings fall to my sides. Eyes dry, I stand. I must stay strong. For them. For me. For all... Stretching my wings out, I catch the breeze dancing about the city's highest reaches. Sailing high above my city, I take it all in, both through my eyes, and my soul. Mine. All mine. And with a little help, eternal.

To Be A Knight

Last edited by PopeAlessandrosXVIII on Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:33 am    Post subject: Chapter 9 Reply with quote

Chapter 9

Landing to rest, I feel Center calling. Oh dear. Launching from my perch, I glide over towards the call. Feeling the wind ripple through my feathers, I let it's soft touch sooth my frayed nerves. Landing once again in front of Center, I tuck my wings in to fit through the doorway. Humming, Center pulls me in, stripping of my coverings so that it may embrace me more closely. Letting it's warmth guide me, it pulls up the elder ones' activities.

Tightening her shawl, Sarah looks around, trying to decide which way to go. Feeling a tap on her shoulder, she turns to see a sharp looking business man in a dark blue suit standing at her right shoulder. “Forgive me if I startled you ma'am, but I was wondering, are you new here?” His slightly high pitched voice not matching thick set frame.

Nodding, Sarah smiles at him and says, “Indeed I am young man. And, if you would be so kind as to tell me, where am I?” Smiling back, he replies, “Well ma'am, this is Grargoth, the city between. If you'd like, I can call you a cab to take you to somewhere to hang your shawl. Or perhaps, I could give you a little tour?” Sarah contemplates on what to do.

Feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the newness, and unknown things about her, Sarah thinks a tour is the best bet to getting settled in here. “I'd like that very much young man. Please, show me around this wondrous place. Never before have I seen such amazing things!” The man run a hand through short, brown, tidy hair, chuckling. “I guess living here, you lose a bit of the awe.”

Holding out an arm, he motions fro her to take hold. Gripping just above his cuff, Sarah falls in step beside him. Pointing out stores across the way, she giggles at the names and displays, some of which seem to be made of living creatures. Others move by what the man calls 'magic'. Recalling her mothers tales at her bedside of monsters and mystics, Sarah can feel her old bones losing their aches.

The air of the city is clear, and invigorating. Stopping outside a parlor of sorts, the man offers to buy her something to drink. Sarah looks behind the counter. A large bird with clawed fingers at the wing joint scuttles back and forth, mixing drinks like the old bartenders from her home town. Eager to watch more, she says “Why thank you. Something mild, if you will.” He nods, and walks over to the counter. With barely contained glee, Sarah watches her drink come together.

With a final twist, her drink lands upright in black taloned fingers. Handing over a small shineing object, the man returns to her side with the beverage. “Thank you...Well, where are my manners! I haven't even ask your name! Please forgive my rudeness. I'm am Sarah, and you are?” Letting out a loud, chittering laugh, the man takes a few moments beforeehe cann answer.

“Beg pardon. I, too, have forgotten myself. I'm Darryl. Darryl Brenan.” coming down of his laughter, a serious expression comes across his face. “I was so caught up in the joy of a New One, I completely forgot.” Sarah watches as his eyes seem to take him to a place far away. With a cough, he returns to the here and now, and smiles down at the old woman. Lifting an eyebrow, Sarah inquires, “What do you mean by 'New One' may I ask?”

Darryl blinks several times. “Hmmm? I said that? I wonder...” Looking down at his watch, Darryl jumps slightly. “Oh dear. She's gonna kill me.” Looking back at the woman he bow apologetically. “I must take my leave. My wife was expecting my an hour ago. If I stay any longer, I fear I'll be spending the night out in the alley.” Waving as he runs off, he bumps into a man who looks as if he traded an arm with a bear. Nodding in hastened apology, he calls back, “Fare thee well, New One Sarah!”

Pondering over the strange new title, Sarah sips absentmindedly at her drink, still held in her left hand. A rush of icy cold slides down her throat, but her teeth don't feel the chill. The mint mixed with cinnamon fills her with a new rush of energy. 'Mmmm! How unusual! I must remember this place. This is a flavor I know I shall seek again.'

Looking about her with renewed energy, Sarah watches a mechanical dog wander past. Built like a bloodhound, she can hear digitized sniffing sounds coming from it. A screech overhead makes her look up. Spotting the creature that made the noise just in time to watch it land gracefully on a store awning, Sarah can feel her breath leave her at the sight. Stretching out it magnificent gold, orange, and red wings, the phoenix settles in for the evening.

Oh, bothersome creature. Too late to do anything about it, I draw back from Center's warm embrace. He knows the stakes. Fickle thing. I'll call on it. And so bright... Rustling my own feathers, I stretch out beside Center. The night comes. There should be little need of me for a time. Wrapping myself up in my cool wings, their warmth soon rises to the surface, enveloping me in a warm cocoon. Yes, a bit of rest...

To Be A Knight

Last edited by PopeAlessandrosXVIII on Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:47 am; edited 2 times in total
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Chapter 10 Reply with quote

Chapter 10

I let myself go. Center, as every night, presses gently into me. With the practice of ages past, Center pulls the day in my city together. Letting nonessential pass with a soft glow, and etching out highlights before me. This day was good. The aid I need began to come, and the life of my city began to stir....

Feeling a little heavy after the hearty sausage meal, Skrangold looks about for somewhere to rest his feet. Spotting a low stone wall surrounding a lavish looking flowerbed, he shuffles over and plops down with a -whompf-. Stretching his aching feet out, he arches his back. Placing his palms on his lower back, he gives a push, pulling a loud pop from his aged frame.

“Aaaahhhh” he sighs, smacking his lips. “Odd place.” Looking up, he observes the tall towers to his right. Shimmering in the mid afternoon sun, he wonders at the foolishness of glass walls. “Won't keep nothin' out with only mirrors to protect ya.” Taking note of other oddities about this stange new place, Skrangold takes a few minutes to realise, he's being watched.

When he finally spots his observer, he starts a little. Eyes the size of his fists, and body like a human toad, the creature is a sparse 5 feet off to the right. Staring openly, the creature stops approaching when it's spotted. Wearing only a loincloth, the creature is obviously a female. 'And a litter bearing creature at that.....' Holding it's hands up in front of it's chest, like a child not wanting to tell a parent it just did something bad, it starts shifting foot to foot.

Skrangold continues to stare back into those green globular orbs. No pupil or iris, the thing's eyes look like globes of filthy swamp water, continually swirling and sloshing. A sudden glint at the creature's hip catches his eye. Taking a few moments to identify the source of the shine, Skrangold stiffens. 'That's...' Standing slowly, Skrangold slips a hand into his side bag. His fingers make contact with something hard. Wrapping them around the cool smooth surface, he recognizes it as the right potion.

The thing shift into a lower stance, a low clicking, chittering noise coming from what passes for a mouth. Without warning, Skrangold is enveloped in a black smoke. Unintentionally, he gasps, sucking in a lung full of the suffocating gas. Coughing hard, he falls to his knees. His vision blurs, and just before he passes out, he sees several more of the creatures gathering around him. In a small puff of dust, he collapses to the ground, unconscious.

Later

With a deep moan, Skrangold comes to. Finding himself face down on a dirty floor, he drags his arms up, preparing to push himself up. In mild panic, he notices his bag is gone. Pushing himself up into a sitting position, he observes his surroundings. 'Oh, goodie, the royal suite' Four walls, only about two body lengths apart, a door in one, with only one tiny barred window.

Head still fuzzy from whatever they'd knocked him out with, he shakes it hard. Clearing out some of the cobwebs, he grunts as he picks himself up and shuffles over to the window. Peeking through, all he sees is more gray wall. 'I must get the name of their decorators' Chuckling at his own joke, he starts to move back from the bars, when a sound draws him back.

The sound of jangling keys comes from down the corridor to the left. When the noise comes close enough, Skrangold steps back expectantly. After a bit of clanking, the door swings creakily inwards. Two of the creatures, male this time, stand in the doorway, a set of five point chain cuffs stretched between them. Seeing no point in fighting, he stands still as they lock the cuffs around his wrists, ankles, and neck. 'Without my potions, there really is no point.'

After several minutes of being lead down hallways, most as bleak as the cell he was housed in, he finds himself standing before what he assumes is their leader. Covered in pulsating pustules, the monsters green skin oozes with a foul smelling slime. Looking more like a giant booger with arms, he can hardly see any resemblance to the creatures he's seen thus far. One, no stranger to foul smells, creature of several himself, Skrangold shudders at the stench permeating off the disgusting being.

A low, guttural, sound comes from the blob like thing, and it takes several seconds for Skrangold to recognize the sounds as speech. “Welcome, New One. By what name are you called?” Unwilling to give up one of the few things he hold dear, he replies, “None of yer business, thank you very much. And I'd also like to thank you for the returning of my belongings if you will.” The blubbery mass starts shaking. At first he thinks he must have angered the beast, but after a moment, he hears a sound coming from it.

Sounding at first like flatulence, he soon realizes 'It's laughter' One of the lesser creatures steps forward with a key. Unchaining the man, another steps forward with his bag. The blob had stopped laughing, and now just watches him from over it's vast middle. Securing his satchel, checking to make sure all of his things are still inside, Skrangold turns back to it. It's low, bubbly voice creaks out again. “We have much to discuss, New One.”

Bother bother... So many interferers. But, that is my city. With limits, or without, I wish life to go about itself. This will not cause too much trouble. Center pulls again. Yes. I must continue......

To Be A Knight

Last edited by PopeAlessandrosXVIII on Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Vikas Muralidharan
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good story you're weaving dude, but you've got the spelling of minutes wrong. Its "M-I-N-U-T-E-S" not minuets.... Cool

Be sure to read HATE in Romance section Wink

PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Hmmmm.... Reply with quote

I guess Minuets is a word, which is why my Spellcheck doesn't catch it.....*Looks it up* Oh......duh.....My dislexia has to turn time into music...wtg me....thnx, I'll go fix those.....

To Be A Knight
crazybookgal
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i have to note u havent fixed minutes
plus its barred not bared.
spellcheck can b so annoying cant it?
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Hmmmm.... Reply with quote

There, got'em fixed....anything else? Anyone likeing the story so far?

To Be A Knight
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been keeping quiet in-thread, wasn't sure whether you wanted it interrupted. But yes, I do like what you're doing with these characters. I still feel as if we're only just beginning, and it will be interesting to see what happens once events start to unfold - and once the characters realise what their quest will be.
Vishal Muralidharan
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F5!!

I am practically waiting to know what's going on in Grargoth, and why we were called. I guess it would be more fun once we know what we're after.

I don't know how others feel, but I get a feeling that the story is moving quite slowly. Why won't the person who invited us 'visit' us or take us to him with his magic?

That's probably because you need time to develop characters, but its becoming quite a wait...!

PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject: Blah Reply with quote

Now, finally, the chapter you've all been waiting for!!!

Well, here ya go.........

To Be A Knight
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:11 am    Post subject: Chapter 11 Reply with quote

Chapter 11

Another scene floats up before my minds eye. Ahh...the 'team'. I can feel their minds shift and flow, coming closer to my city. At least he can't dodge now. He made the rule, now he must follow it....

A stylus pops out from the side of Jack's device. Pondering the words on the screen for a few moments, Jack grabs the writing utensil and jots down the answer. Iris smiles, “What would we do without you.” Jack smiles back. A chuckle comes from behind Jack, causing him to whip around. The small creature is standing there, hat in hand. “What indeed?” Bowing slightly, the thing's bald head gleams in the noonday sun.

Replacing his hat, he looks from one party member to the other with a curious look on his face. “Welcome, New Ones, to Grargoth, the city between. Fargist,” He touches his hat, “at your service.” Jack nods back at the little...whatever it is. Iris can only grin at it, convinced she's hallucinating. Peter, on the other hand, stalks forward and addresses the little man. “At my service, huh? Well then, Fargist, how bout a little info on this city sized trip, like, a place to stay? I reFUSE to spend a night on the streets!” Looking up at the sun, Iris can't help but giggle. 'Only noon, and he's worried about a place to hang his hat.'

Fargist, ignoring the star's tone, bows politely. “I do know of a few good places. The closest one is not two blocks from here. If you'll follow me,” he says, starting past them down the main street, “I'll take the others' questions in more comfortable surroundings.” Iris and Jack look at one another, then shrug. Peter follows close after Fargist, mouth running non-stop. At the crosswalk, they watch in fascination the myriad of vehicles that pass. Some with legs, others hover, some with one wheel, and even some bizarre animals that look like large lizards.

After crossing, they come to their destination. Walking through sliding glass double doors, they find themselves in a cozy hotel lobby. Ignoring the rooms inhabitants, Fargist walks straight up to the reception desk. Peter falls back next to the other two. “Y'know, if Elvis himself walked into this room right now, I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised.” Both Jack and Iris nod in agreement, Jack cracking a little grin. After several minutes of watching the other inhabitants of the room pass by, Fargist returns to the group.

“I've booked 10 rooms, to house you and yours. The manager says you may stay as long as you like, and you won't have to pay until your last day. Now, if you'll follow me.” He shuffles past a group of leprechauns, and proceeds to the stairs across the room. As the rather large party moves along, the watching eyes of a cloaked observer goes unnoticed. Directing Peter's guards into groups of four and five, they're each given a key, and divided into their rooms. Peter waves off the last group, “I'll be fine, just go.” Nodding, they pile into a room.

Coming to a room, 5%T, he hands the team their keys. “For prices sake, I booked the three of you in the same room. Come.” Then, right before their eyes, he walks through the door. Just getting over the idea of sharing a room, the three gawk at the closed door Fargist had just vanished into. Jack recovers first, and swipes his key-card through the slot above the door handle. With a audible -Click-, the door unlocks. Jack pushes the door open, and motions the others inside.

The smell of fresh cut pine invades their nostrils as they enter the rather lavishly decorated room. With a little “Ya-hoo!” Iris does a full running leap on to the nearest queen sized bed. The silky red sheets and comforter crumple under the harsh treatment. “Ooohhhh, yeeeaahhh. So my bed.” Peter nods appreciatively at the rambunctious display, and Jack smacks him in the arm in disapproval. Rubbing the sore spot, Peter walks over to the bed next to the one Iris is now doing her best to turn into a nest.

Perching himself on the edge, Peter turns to the little man standing by the complementary bar. “So, how bout a little more info on yourself, Fargist my man?” Shaking his head, Fargist pours himself some whiskey. “I'm sorry lad, but you used up your question. One question a piece, each time you catch me.” Staring at the man dumbfounded, Peter begins spluttering, “What, but, that, you never, and, well I never!”

Iris peeks out from her little cocoon. “One question a piece. I see...” Turning in her sheets, she looks at Jack, “You're the brain, form us a question!” For several minutes Jack stands propped against the wall near the door, chin to his chest, eyes closed. After thirty seconds, Peter plops back onto his bed with a huge sigh. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, Jack looks up. Locking gazes with Iris, he winks.

Turning to Fargist, he says, “What all do you know about Grargoth, in full detail if you would” Iris gives him the double thumbs-up over the edge of the crimson wrap. Fargist takes a sip of his drink, smirking at the cleverness of the question. “Well lad, as a rule, there is only so much I can tell you, but I'll tell you all I can. That, and if I tried to explain everything about this fair city,” another sip, “You'd be dead before I could get even one one-hundredth the way through the tellin' of it”

Plopping himself down on the plush wine red carpet, he begins. “Grargoth, the city between, came to be long before the memories of any who live today. When it started, it had but one inhabitant. This one, is known as The Creator, may his name be never spoken. From the very fabric of this world, he began to build. Through will and shear power, he brought together the energys of your worlds inhabitants. But not just any energy. This energy can not be seen, nor measured, by any but The Creator.”

Jack sinks to the floor, crossing his legs into the lotus position. Iris shuffles on her stomach to the end of the bed, eyes locked on Fargist. Peter rolls onto his side, turning just far enough to see the speaker. Taking a long sip of his drink, Fargist continues.

“Now, this city, and your world, intersect in many places. These places are called Gateways, naturally. They didn't always exist. The Creator, when he first began his work, didn't want interruptions, so he encased the whole realm in an impenetrable dome. But after a while, he realized he needed to open his city to others, even if it was just a little. He placed a charm on the dome, so that being with certain energys could pass through. Only The Creator knows what kind of energy that is.”

“After making the openings, he retracted into hiding, simply watching the newcomers wander around his city. He would go to uninhabited parts of the city to work. Taking from the new minds, he began building in different styles, from different times and places. Then, it happened.”

The whole team leans in closer, staring in rapt attention. Smiling at their eager faces, he continues. “The first Grargothian baby was born. Now, the beings that entered the city had children, as they would in their home worlds, but this was different. The baby was born OF Grargoth. From it's energy and life. The Creator was rather confused at first. It's funny actually. It was the first thing in his city he had no control over. That and he had no idea how to raise a child.”

Fargist chuckles, remembering The Creator telling him about it. He goes to take another drink only to realize his glass is empty. Popping up, he refills at the bar. “But, strange thing about The Creator,” He turns back to the room at large, “He loves his city, and defends it's populace with the fierceness of a ticked off mother dragon. But the first time he held that little package of life, he truly FELT it for the first time. The love and devotion to this thing he'd made. From then on, every century or so, the energy would build, and another child would be born.”

Settling back down on the floor, Fargist swirls his drink. Taking a gulp of the fiery liquid, he continues. “There are thirteen of us now, or at least, thirteen of us that decided to stay here in Grargoth. There are hundreds more, but they're in other worlds, doing The Creator knows what. As for those of us who've decided to stay, we've become Keepers, in our own right. Once in a while, tears will appear, and if The Creator is busy, we shoo the invaders back where they belong.”

Iris scratches her head. 'But, if only those energies he wants here can come through, how can there be invaders...' Fargist's eyes shift over to her, and she jumps. “Uuhhhh, not my question!” Peter looks over at her with a 'Have you gone mad?' look on his face. Chuckling, Fargist finally comes to the part that all, with perhaps the exception of Peter, want to hear most.

“In recent years, things have become....difficult. The energy that used to flow through the city like milk and honey, has all but disappeared from out streets. The normal inhabitants of Grargoth don't feel the loss. Having come from different lands, they don't rely on the energy the way the city, my siblings, and I do. The Creator doesn't want them to know. He wants them happy, but without some help, Grargoth will perish.....”

Letting the weight of all they just heard sink in, the team sits in heavy silence. Peter, for the first time in his self fulfilling life, feels a call to arms. His heart almost aching at the thought of this f'd up place vanishing from existence. Iris pulls the covers tighter around herself. 'Can I really help? I'm just a kid! I know I'm not helpless, but, restoring a whole realm!?' Tucking herself under her sheets like she used to do as a kid when things got too serious for her, she tries convince herself that she has the courage to do what she came here to do.

Jack sits motionless, eyes staring forward without really seeing. 'This place is indeed in need of help, but what can be done? It needs energy, but what kind? And how do you gather it?' Thinking of his companions, he tries to imagine them working together to solve the monumental problem. Iris will do anything to make sure it gets done, but the other... coming from his revery, he notices Iris crawling out of her little nest and walking over to Fargist.

Tugging on his sleeve, she pulls him into the corner by the window. After several minutes of hushed discussion, she nods vigorously, then plows back into her bed. Fargist places his glass in the bar's sink. “Well, all questions have been answered, I must be going.” Peter jumps up, “Wait, what?” Turning to the undulating pile of cloth, he asks, “What was your question?” The movement stops and powder blue eyes pop up over the edge of the blankets. “It's a secret, but don't worry, I'll tell you some day.”

With a giddy giggle, she crawls up to the top of her bed, where, miraculously, her pillows remain only slightly mussed. There, she removes her hat, letting her white blonde locks fall softly across the pillow. Sighing in pure, blissful contentment, she curls into a little ball, and nods off. Peter, still standing there, dumbstruck, doesn't even notice Fargist walk right out of the 4th story window, and vanish into the approaching night.

Standing, Jack stretches. Ambling over to the far bed, he unties his gi, and places the top and belt on the chair beside the little table near the foot of his bed. Climbing under the lavish navy blue covers he mumbles a low, “Goodnight,” before he too, escapes into the world of dreams. Peter, unused to being ignored, looks back and forth between the two, seriously considering dumping cold water on them. Thinking better of it, he shrugs, growling in frustration. Stripping down to his thirty dollar, green silk boxers, he climbs into the middle bed. Snuggling down into it's royal purple depths, he again feels the call, softer this time. He lets it dance about his mind as he drifts off into his own dreams.

I feel a tingle of excitement. Yes yes, indeed a good start. Good job, my little one. Feeling the warmth of another nearby, I crack open an eye. Center won't allow any to enter but myself, but, just outside the door, I see my first. Good job, my dear little one....

To Be A Knight

Items

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoo another great chapter! I've told everything that you want to know, hopefully you get some good ideas jogging around your brain.
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Sidebar Reply with quote

I thought of putting this in it's own thred, but I think it'd be too much of a hassle to my readers.

These sidebars are things that happen in the story involveing, but not a part of, the players individual stories. These will be written from the point of view of the Grargothian residents. Like the little snipits at the begining and end of each chapter, they are going to be told through the eyes of an individual. I'll mstly use these to exlain away inprobabilities brought about by the City itself.

Enjoy!

Fixing Things

I can't help but smile every time I think about the morning a few days previous, when He came by. Seeing him indoors looks kinda funny, but, right then, I was happy to be seeing him at all. The Creator, may his name never be spoken, spends so much time going about his self appointed tasks, we don't get to see him much after we leave the nursery. Watching my eldest sibling leave the three New Ones' room, I float down, trying to catching him before he vanishes into nowhere.

“Fargist!” Waving my arms wildly, I get closer. Just as he looks up to see me, I land full force on top of him. “Augh! Treml! Why do you always have to do that? It gets annoying after a while.” His words sting, so I back off, climbing back on my ball. Tugging on my blonde locks dangling in front of my ears, I give him -the look-. Taking full advantage of being the youngest, I use all four feet of my pure cuteness to gain forgiveness from all my siblings.

I mess up and tick them off so often, I can't help but get good at convincing them I sorry. Shaking his head, Fargist reaches up and bops me one. Taking that to mean I am forgiven, I float down right in front of him, bouncing so hard that my ball moves with me. “Sooooo, are they activated yet? I still need to...” Fargist shakes his head. “You need to get that done! He gave you the task days ago! You've had all day with them IN the city to get it done!” Cringing down playfully against my ball, I can tell he's not really mad.

It's true, he gave me the assignment when he came to visit that day. He was waiting there for me when I woke up, his dark form just as I remembered it. His wings tucked in to avoid knocking my stuff down, he looked a bit smaller than usual. Bounding up, I flew into his arms. Thin, but strong, they wrapped all the way around me from one side to the other. To top off the perfect moment, he drew his wings in, giving me the illusion if being back in the nursery.

After a few moments of this, he held me out at arms' length. Unable to hold still, I bobbed up and down in his grasp. Halting my movement with a gentle hand on my head, he pulled me into his lap, and told me he had a job for me. Listening intently, I was determined to get-this-right! When he finished explaining it all to me, I took the devices he gave me, and swore I'd do exactly as he'd asked.

I sit up straight, fists clenched in front of my chest. He's right! Leaning down, I drop a featherlight kiss on my eldest brothers cheek, then I rocket past him towards the room he's recently vacated. Slipping in unnoticed through the glass that makes up one of the room's walls, I hop off my ball, and head for the middle bed. Catching my refection in the glass, I do a little twirl. My solid crimson clown suit shifts around my slight form. Pale hair, and even paler skin pops out of the top, arms, and legs. Wiggling my toes in the plush carpet, brush the tassel from the end of my sleepy time cap out of my way.

Pulling out one of the devices, I examine the man curled up in the green bed. After a few moments calculating, I decide one the adjustments. My fingers slide smoothly through the thin screen of the electronic in my hand. Moving around a few wires and altering a few programs, I customize the device to this specific person's needs. I'd made these same kinds of changes to all the devices that have gone out so far, but The Creator needs all the New Ones to have one.

Finishing the adjustments, I stalk over, and place the device on the pillow next to the one he's using. Pulling out my task schedule, I mark him off the list. Hopping back on my ball, I rocket off to my next assignment.

Floating above the exit of the south side underground, I examine my next job. Ewwwww.....Stinky. Reaching inside his device, I takes a good minute to make the adjustments. Floating down, I drop the device next to his foot, making sure it makes a good -thump- so he'll notice it, before jetting of to my next assignment. Floating around the bodega where my next mark is, I spot one of my siblings' pets.

And what do you know, there's my next target! Her adjustments are easy, taking but a moment. Drifting past the fiery pet, I move down to the lady. Dropping her's into her bottomless purse, I fly off to my last mission for today. Grinning stupidly, I stare at the nude man for a few moments before I begin my calculations. With a final -click-, the last diode falls in place.

Landing directly in front of him, I place the device just beyond the tips of his toes. The second it leaves my hand, it becomes visible. Giggling at his response it it's sudden appearance, I hop back on to my ball, and head for home. I did good today! Slipping through time, back to where it's night, I land softly on my front lawn. A large grassy hill with a door in the side it greets my sparkling gaze. I love my home. Slipping inside, I mutter a hushed, “Goodnight” into the night, before closing the round door behind me.

To Be A Knight
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Chapter 12 Reply with quote

Chapter 12

I feel my skin thrum slightly as a breeze comes in through the open door. Shivering, I curl my wings more tightly around me. Dropping back into what Center is showing me, my eyes fall once again on the girl... Her eyes unseeing, I can still feel them on me. Blind and alone...perhaps some aid....

The girl's heart eases as the being moves further from me. She heaves another sigh of relief. Cocking her head in each direction, she takes stock of her surrounding best she can. Somehow amplifying all sound, and causing it to echo, the buildings around her make it a little difficult to navigate. After ten minutes of wandering, she finds herself in an open, earthy smelling place. Kneeling down, she feels soft grass beneath her feet.

'A park, I suppose.' Sitting down on the even turf, she stretches her legs out before her. Just sitting, and listening, she starts thinking. 'I know I came to help, but how? I don't even know what's wrong. Maybe.....' She pulls out the thing she'd received in the mail. Running her fingers gently over it, she feels the soft texture of one side of it give a little.

-Press again for audio mode- Startling a bit at the sudden automated voice, she almost drops the device. With a trembling finger, she presses the spot again. -Audio mode on- the thing chimes. -Select function- Thinking hard, she decides to test it out. “Map mode?” -Select destination- Smiling at the sudden realization of how useful this thing really is, she says, “Park Bench.” After a few whirring noises -Location, ten feet west-

Standing, she places her hand over what she assumes is the screen. She can feel the arrow again. Following it slowly, she soon feels her knees bump softly against something hard. Feeling it over, she determines that it is indeed, a bench. Smiling again, she sits down on it's wooden seat. Lifting her hands to the sky, she can feel the sun's rays behind her her. Weak and getting weaker, she can feel night coming. Suddenly, she feels the hairs on the back of her neck stand on end.

Slowly bringing her arms down to rest in her lap, she listens carefully to everything around her. The sounds about her have become quiet, save for the cars in the distance, and something else. A soft rhythmic breathing. She turns her head to face the sound. Not too far to off to the right, she hones in on the noise. Slowing her own breath, she casts around frantically for answers as to what it can be. 'A person? No. Too deep. A large dog perhaps. But then why would it just be standing there? Or, maybe, something worse...'

A sudden deep resonating voice startles her out of her scattered thoughts. “Are you lost little one?” She slowly shakes her head. 'A man? But, it can't be...' “Good to know, because I am” The voice responds, chuckling. Feeling herself relax a bit, she asks, “Pardon my asking, but, who are you?” She hears footsteps, bringing the body behind the voice closer. “I am Arnoth, of the Maywolk clan.” She raises an eyebrow, “Maywolk clan? I've never heard of them. Are you a native american?”

It's his turn to be confused. “Native american? No, whatever that is, I am not.” He is quiet for several seconds, before, “Dear child, you can not see me can you? Your eyes reach not your heart?” having never heard it put so, she never the less nods in the affirmative. “Poor child,” He murmurs. Before she can raise an objection, she hears him approach once again. Tensing slightly, she waits. She can feel him stop right next to her, the heat coming from him surprising.

Edging back a bit, she says, “Ummm, that's a little close” “My apologize, I simply wanted to help you understand. Here,” Suddenly she feels warm fur against her hand. Drawing back for a second, she thinks, 'How can this be?' Bringing her hand down softly, she feels thick fur beneath her delicate touch. Running her fingers around, she comes to what she can only describe as ears. Small and rounded, she follows one down to damp lips. Mouth open, she feels fangs as long ah her fingers just beneath. “Oh my...” she breaths. Running her fingers back up, she stands. Following the line along the back, she can feel taunt muscles, sheathed by soft, thick fur.

She feels something touch her arm. Bringing her hand up, she touches the thing gently Like rope, clad in fur, it writhes in her hand. “That would be my tail.” Jumping, she'd forgotten that she had been talking to the thing beneath her fingers. She immediately releases the wriggling thing. “I'm sorry,” she chokes out. Stepping back, she again sits down on the bench. “No offense taken. I would only ask, when regarding my tail, no pulling please.” Laughing at himself, she finds herself chuckling along.

'This truly is the place I saw in my vision. Talking animals? Indeed, a wondrous place.' “So, umm, you're like a big cat?” Arnoth snorts, “I suppose I look somewhat like one of those silly little felines.” She laughs at his affronted tone. She hears him move closer, and she stifles her giggles. “All that aside, it's getting dark little one. Perhaps we should find a place to rest for the night.” Then, as if struck with a sudden thought, he says, “Oh, dear me, where are my manners! I forgot to ask your name!” She hears a faint thump and imagines him smacking his forehead with a paw. She can't help giggling again.

Melanie chokes back her mirth, and responds, “My name is Melanie, and I think your manners are more than adequate for a gentleman such as yourself.” She hears a low sound that she mistakes for a moment as growling, but after listening close, she realizes it's purring. Reaching out towards the sound, she finds his head again, and gives it a good scratch. He continues purring, “Why thank you little one. I mean, Miss Melanie.” She smiles at him. “You can still call me little one Arnoth, I like it.”

Yes, he will serve her well. Happenstance sometimes creates the best meetings. The soft caress of Center reassures me of the life still left in my dear city. A city where such wonders can still be. A place where even the old, and worldly, can again feel the rush of discovering something new. My mind is shifted again...

To Be A Knight

Last edited by PopeAlessandrosXVIII on Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:03 am; edited 1 time in total
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:35 am    Post subject: Chapter 13 Reply with quote

Chapter 13

I watch the young looking powerful one. He's going to be a real asset. Yes, I need this. I can feel it working about him, fluctuating and pulsating. I shift, the move causing me to tip slightly. Center catches me and props me up. I can't help but grinning at Center's gentle touch. I feel warmth growing beneath my feet, and I let my mind drift back to him.

Starring blankly at the odd thing that has appeared at his feet, Raphael blinks rapidly. His head whips to the right, a slight distortion in the air catching his eye. It vanishes, and he's left to wonder at it's significance. He looks back down at the flat hunk of technology at his feet. Sensing no real danger, he reaches down and picks it up. Looking it over, he finds only one imperfection on it. The metal gives way to a softer almost plastic covering over two-thirds of one side.

Brushing his fingers over the slippery surface, he presses down gently. He blinks, the area lit up under his fingers and now displays what looks like a map. No labels or coordinates, all he sees is one dot labled
-Raphael-
Grinning, he mutters, “Well, someone knows I'm here...and who I am...” Running his finger over the screen, the map seems to follow is movements, shifting it's view. Toying with the gadget for a while, he decides it may be of use in traversing this strange place.

“I wonder what else you can do, little techno toy” He mutters. At his words, the screen flashes and a list of functions appear. Chuckling, he decides to look the over later. Tucking the thing under an arm, he nods at the ladies, and struts off towards the custom tailoring shop. Having been a long time since he's had a nice set of clothes, he decides to go all out, and get exactly what he wants. Looking in the storefront windows, he sees a wide variety of custom jobs. Satisfied that this is what he wants, he pushes through the front door. The jangle of a bell over the door seems to cause a stirring in the back of the shop.

Surrounded by hundreds of interesting and bizarre outfits, he looks over the racks to see who, or what rather, caused the noise. What looks like a very large raccoon on two legs, shuffles through the mass of clothing, coming to a stop a few feet away. Wearing what looks like a puffy sleeved tunic and loose leather pants, the thing bows with a long sweeping gesture. “Welcome!” It chirps, “To Macruto's Custom Sundries. I am Macruto, how may I be of service?” Having see a lot of things in his life, many of which inexplicable, Raphael gets over the strangeness of being addressed by a talking raccoon by the end of it's little introduction.

“Well, as you can see, I am in need of some clothes.” Raphael says. Nodding vigorously, Macruto bows again, gesturing towards the back of the shop. “Of course, this way sir. I shall take your measurements.” Raphael follows the shopkeeper to the back where there is a small stand next to a ladder. Stepping on to the stand, he watches the shop-keep wander over to a row of shelves packed with various tailoring items. Turning back to his customer, the shop keep asks, “Anything design in particular you'd like?” Raphael smiles, “Well...”

Several hours later

Raphael strides out of the sundry shop clad in his new outfit. With a flourish he pushes back his black cape to reveal it's dark red lining. His chest and arms are covered by a close fitting silk tunic the color of oak leaves in fall, the ties at the top left undone. He reaches down to his light brown leather belt where a belt pouch rests on his hip. Sliding the odd device inside, he shifts the belt over the soft tan leather of his breeches. Feeling refreshed, he looks around. Scuffing his soft leather boots against the sidewalk, he flexes his toes to try and stretch the material. Walking around for a few minutes, he looks at the shops surrounding the sundry shop. Finally, he pulls out the device again, determined to get some information.

Yes yes, keep it up. The more you thirst the more....I can feel one of mine calling for me. I can hear him. My little one. Poor little one, last born, something wrong. I send a feeling of peace to him, wishing him happy dreams. Dream of a time before....

To Be A Knight

Last edited by PopeAlessandrosXVIII on Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:12 am; edited 2 times in total
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject: Chapter 14 Reply with quote

Chapter 14

I let my own mind drift to that time. All the little ones around me, giving the city strength. I love them, how I do, but if only....Some things can not be stopped, but in my City, I am in control....I will not let it slip any further! Center pulls my attention to an interference in the Fidal district. What a pest, but he is one of us all the same...I feel myself grin at the interaction. Silly little thing...

Keeping her eyes trained on the magnificent bird, Sarah slips her hand into her large purse, her fingers land on something odd. Startled out of her awe struck stupor, she pulls out the foreign object and stares at it. The flat metallic surface feels warm beneath her fingers. “Well, what in the world is this?” She asks to the air. She almost drops the device when it responds to her inquiry in a low, deep voice. -Automated Information Delivery Lieutenant- Staring hard at it she shrugs. “Alright, Aidl, what are you doing in my bag, hmm?” -Correction, I am no longer in your bag.-

Sarah can't help but laugh. “Hah! A hunk of metal with a sense of humor. Too funny. Well, I'll deal with you later Aidl.” And with that she stuffs the newly christened 'Aidl' into a holding spot in her bag. Rummaging around for a moment, she pulls out her old camera. Looking back up at the roosting bird, she brings the camera up to her eye. Adjusting the focus, she snaps a picture. With the sudden flash, the phoenix’s head pops up from under it's wing. Crooning a high note, it extends it's neck down towards the one who disturbed it's sleep.

“Now what choo go an' do that for, huh lady?” The phoenix flutters down from the awning and stands before her. Blinking a few times in disbelief, she responds, “I'm sorry. I didn't mean to wake you. I just thought, you're so beautiful I wanted to have a picture of you.” The phoenix cocks it's head to the side, looking hard at her. Being almost the same height, Sarah doesn't even have to lower her head to look into it's brilliant, multifaceted, lavender eyes. “A picture, huh? Well, isn’t that nice? Never thought to ask me permission t' take it, didja? You'd ask and one else, wouldn'tcha? Jus' caus' I'm not humanoid don' mean I ain't got feelin's you know.”

Stepping back under the sudden barrage of words, Sarah suddenly puffs up. “You can't be blaming me for taking a picture of something I don't know can talk, let alone have feelings! Why, where I come from, if you ain't a human, you are potential food! So while I'm sorry for taking a snapshot of you without asking, I don't think I deserve that little speech from something that looks as if it'd be good with a side of stuffing!” Taken aback by the old lady's comeback, the phoenix jerks it's head back, turning it from side to side. They stare at one another for a long time. Then, as if coming to a silent agreement, they both start laughing.

The bird’s crooning whoop draws a few eyes, but other than that, the passers by ignore the chuckling duo. Reaching out, Sarah ask, “May I?” The phoenix nods, and Sarah strokes it's soft feathered head. “My name's Peter,” it coos, “an' what be your name miss?” “Sarah” she replies, marveling at the feeling of the bird's feathers beneath her fingers. “Nice to meetcha Sahrah. Yer a New One, ain'tcha?” Sarah pulls her fingers back, grinning at the accent he has when saying her name. “I don't know about this whole 'New One' business, but if it means I'm new in this town, then I'd have to say yes, I am a new one.” Peter nods. “Yup, that's kinda what it means. Nice to see new faces round here. Been a long time...” As he trails off, his eyes move to the sky. Sarah follows his gaze. Up above, she can see the first glimmer of stars past the tops of the tall buildings all around them.

I watch as a small line of light passes between the stargazers. At least he's being useful I guess.... Without these connections, it won't flow. Perhaps it will keep her in Grargoth a bit longer. Elderly, she may not last long, but with him.....

To Be A Knight
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:29 am    Post subject: Reader DP Reply with quote

I will soon be posting a option board of sorts for READERS ONLY! If you have a character in the story, you can't vote!

I hope to have good audience participation in times to come! Caio!

To Be A Knight
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Chapter 15 Reply with quote

Chapter 15

I groan as I wake to find my feathers sticking together. Musta slept on them. Gotta fix that. Over to the door, Center reluctantly letting me go. The draw feels nice. I let my mind roam about, making note of my children's positions. The roof is warm, the sun heating my wings. With a little flex, I'm off to survey my City...

Iris slowly stretches herself awake. Cracking open an eye, she notices movement past the foot of her bed. Freezing, she takes a few seconds to register what she's seeing, then with a giggle puts her hands behind her head and watches. In a flurry of kicks and punches, Jack does his morning workout on the hotel's plush carpeting. With a final spin kick, he places his right fist against his flat left palm and bows. He smiles lightly as Iris applauds. Nodding towards Peter's bed, Jack's smile widens. Catching on quickly, Iris mirrors Jack's grin. Slipping out of bed, she stalks silently over to the sleeping pop-star's bedside.

Jack makes his way to the foot of the bed and grabs the blankets tight. Iris marvels at Jack's newly discovered “fun” side. She holds up three fingers, then does a slow countdown with them. When she reaches zero, Jack swiftly pull the dark purple covers off the sleeping man, and Iris does a flying leap on to the bed. Landing just past the end of his toes, she starts jumping up and down. In an excellent impression of a lion, Peter roars awake. Iris does a back flip off the bed to avoid Peter's rampage against being woken up in such a manner.

“In all my life. Who the hell taught you manners!? Why I should have my men..Just what were you thinking!? Neanderthals! Children! Come over here and let me show you a thing or two about showing such disrespect! If it's the last thing I.....” Peter's rant trails off as Jack comes over and puts an arm around his shoulder. Still chuckling, Jack apologizes, “Sorry Peter. We just wanted to leave you with something to remember us by.” From her place on the floor, Iris, tears of laughter pouring down her face, nods in agreement. Wiping a tear away, she sits up. “Yeah Peter. We figured now that you know how to get out of here, you'd be on your way A.S.A.P., so we had to say goodbye in a way you'd remember it.

Looking at the two giggling figures with a quizzical look on his face, Peter opens his mouth to say something, but then his mouth snaps shut. Completely confused, he looks down at his lap. 'I do want to get out of here....don't I? Yesterday I'd have given almost anything to be gone from this place....but now?' Shrugging off Jacks arm, Peter makes his way to the bathroom. Jack and Iris look at one another. Laughter completely gone from their faces, they both take a seat on Peter's bed. “Did we say something wrong?” Iris inquires. Shrugging, Jack replies, “Maybe we went overboard with the wake-up call...” Iris shrugs as well. “We should really say we're sorry when he gets out.” Jack nods in agreement. He shifts, something hard under his backside. Pulling it out, he realizes it's the same thing he has in his own pocket. “Iris? Is this one yours?” He asks, showing her the device. She shakes her head, pulling her own out. After starring at it for a while, they both agree Fargist must have left it there for Peter. They tuck it inside one of his pant's pockets.

After a good hour, Peter finally emerges from the bathroom in a cloud of steam. Both Iris and Jack stand, mouths open, apologize ready. But, before either of them can get a syllable out, Peter's voice barks out. “I want both of you to get cleaned up! Here is no way I'm traveling with stinky companions! Now hop to it.” Stalking past the room's two shell shocked occupants, Peter scoops up his clothes and heads behind the changing curtain in the corner of the room. Wide eyed, the two stare slack jawed at the curtain for several long seconds, before looking at one another. Iris looks down at Jack with questioning eyes. With a smile, Jack is the first to recover, and he nods. With a great whoop, Iris jumps back on to the purple clad mattress and does a very exuberant victory dance.

Jack's head perks up. Looking quickly between the dancing teen and the bathroom doorway, he swiftly comes to a decision. Taking a few cautious steps towards his goal, he checks to see if she's noticed. Seeing no change in her bouncing pattern, he makes a break for the restroom. Too late, Iris spots him. With a loud “Hey! No fair!” She watches him vanish behind the dark wooden door. Flopping down into a seated position, she crosses her arms and puffs out her cheeks in mock anger. Peter comes from behind the curtain looking like the million dollars he's worth. Seeing that look on her face, he laughs. She looks over at him, ready to bite his head off, but the retort dies in her throat. He looks different somehow. She can't quite put her finger on it, but he seems...... calmer, more gentle.

He wanders over to the room's full length mirror and starts preening. Snapping out of her little trance, Iris shakes her head hard and wanders over to her bed. Out of habit, she makes it. Just as she finishes fluffing the pillows and turning it down, Jack emerges from the washroom. Darting past him, she can hear him chuckle. Stretching, Jack makes his way to his own bed. He too feels the need to make his bed. Peter finishes his preening just as Jack is putting the finishing touches on his covers. “What are you doing?” He inquires. Jack turns around to look at him. “Making my bed.” His brows furrow as Peter laughs. “You do know they strip down the beds every day, right? The cleaning person has to put on new sheets and blankets.”

Jack shakes his head. Chuckling, Peter walks over to the bar to see what they have. Jack watches, his mind going over and over every moment since Peter joined the group, trying to pinpoint when exactly Peter had a change of heart. Unable to come up with anything, he finally just comes out and asks. “So Peter, what changed your mind? About helping Grargoth I mean.” Peter stills, a vodka bottle held in front of his face as if he's reading the label. Peter's back it facing Jack, so he can't see the fact that His eyes are closed. Brows furrowed, Peter tries to come up with the words to describe the dream he had last night, or how it had almost physically changed the way he sees the world now.

Sighing, Peter turns and sets the liquor bottle on the bar and takes a seat on one of the stools. Propping his head on his interlaces fingers, he lowers his face so hes resting his forehead on his fingers. Glancing up and the little asian man, he quickly casts his eyes back down and says, “I haven’t got a clue. Last night, listening to the weird little dude, I...felt something. I don't know what it is, but as I fell asleep last night, I felt it again. Like a...pull. Kinda painful, but for some reason, I can't figure out why I even have it!” Sliding down, Peter rests his head on his now crossed arms. Jack sits silent, waiting for him to continue.

With another sigh, he goes on. “Now, whenever I think of leaving, I see these weird visions from the dream I had last night. I can't remember most of it, but the thing I remember most, is this....like, post apocalyptic city. Y'know? Like half crumbled sky scrapers. Giant craters. Skeletons in cars strewn about everywhere. It's...bad....And a part of me aches at the thought.” Peter buries his face in his arms, trying hard to shake the image talking about it had drummed up. Jack lowers is gaze to the carpet, but not actually seeing it. Hundreds of questions race around his head, but just as he opens his mouth to ask, the bathroom door opens.

Peter's eyes peek over his arm to see her come out in just a towel. Iris walks past the two guys ogling her, and slips behind the changing screen. They hear her giggle from behind the thin protection of the dark wood and lace. Jack lets himself laugh as he catches sight of Peters wide eyes, still staring at the spot where Iris had 'vanished'. Peter's gaze is broken only after Jack grabs one of his pillows and chucks it it the vacant eyed man.

With no more incident, they leave the Hotel. Peter gave his goons the day off, saying, “The only thing I can see the need to be protected from, is maaaybe that dragon from yesterday. I highly doubt any of you would volunteer for that job, eh?” Receiving unanimous nods, Peter harrumphed and sad, “Though so.” Wandering down main street, the trio spend some time acquainting themselves with the local businesses. Halfway down the block from the hotel, they come across what looks like a McDonalds, But the sign reads 'MacDonBalds'. Unable to hold back her curiosity, Iris rushes in, the boys having to jog to keep up.

On the inside, it very much resembles a standard fast food place, but the servers quickly catch the trio's attention. They watch in amazement as one waitress presses a finger to the back of her hand, and a dollop of ketchup squirts out of her finger and onto the customers waiting burger. The three begin backing slowly towards the door, but are stopped by Peter running unto someone. Spinning around, they come face to face with what looks like a crossbreed between a Mafia boss, and a hamburger bun. The dark tan man is clad in a light tan suit, covered in what looks like large sesame seeds. “Well, hello there! Sorry for the little bump. My sincerest apologies.” With a grand sweeping movement, he removes his hat and bows. “No, that's ok, I should have been looking....” It takes several seconds for them to relies that when the man had removed his hat, his hair came with it.

When the man stands up straight again, the overhead lights glisten off the man's abnormally shiny head, causing the little group to shield their eyes. Fitting his hat back on, he snaps his fingers. “No no. My fault entirely. Here, let me make it up to you.” A waitress walks up just at that moment with three very hearty looking burgers. Unable to refuse, they get ushered of to booth. Iris stares at the sizable hunk of meat sitting in front of her. “This is sooo going straight to my hips...” She whispers to her companions. Shrugging, Jack smiles, then picks up his own monstrous burger. Taking a huge bite, he chews slowly. Iris and Peter wait with baited breath for him to swallow. With an audible gulp, the mass slides down his throat. The other two keep their gazed trained on the martial artist.

A slow smile spreads across his face. “Now THAT'S a good burger!” He exclaims before sinking his teeth in for another bite. Looking across the table at one another, Iris and Peter share a startled look. They both snatch up their burgers and take hefty bites. Flavors explode in their mouths, causing Iris to moan with the pleasure of it. Little attention is payed to anything else as the team wolfs down what is undoubtedly the best burgers any of them had tasted. Peter sucks on his fingers, getting off every little bit of flavor he'd spilled on them in the course of consuming the delicious tidbit. Looking around to one another, they all come to the unanimous decision to have at least one meal a day here. On the way out, they give a hearty wave and exuberant thank-you to the man they took for the owner.

Outside, Iris stretches, but freezes mid stretch. Her eyes momentarily lock on something across the street. Lowering her arm, she glances over at her traveling companions. Looking back at what had caught her eye, she makes a quick decision. Sliding over to them, she says, “Hey guys, this is fun and all, but I need some girl time. How about we meet back here at lunch?” They stare at her for a a few seconds, dumbfounded at her rocket speed speech. When it finally registers, they both nod, and before they can say anything, she takes off with a hurried, “Bye!” cast over her shoulder. Looking at one another, they shrug, “Girls” they say together. After a little laugh, Peter asks, “So, where now huh?”

Jack shrugs again, and looks around. Spotting several street signs, he wanders over, Peter trailing behind. Starring up at them, he reads them aloud. “Normath Street, Muzuri Avenue, and Bestal Street.” Turning back to Peter, he asks, “Which one do you want to explore?” Peter Gazes up at the signs himself, he mulls it over. “Whatever,” He says, dropping his gaze, “Normath I guess.” Seeing no reason to disagree, Jack nods. They head off down the street, checking out the weird vehicles passing by. Suddenly, a shadow falls over the two. Stopping they look up. Peter has to bite back a yelp as he stares up into the face of the shadow's owner. Looking very much like a T-Rex, the large creature leans down, turning it's head a bit to get a better look at the men. Jack stands very still. Suddenly, it's mouth opens. Peter takes a step back, expecting his life to end any second. To both of their amazement, the thing speaks.

“Pardon me. May I pass?”

Slack jawed and wide eyed, the both nod dumbly, and step off to the side, pressing their backs against a nearby building. The creature stands up straight, and with a “Thank you” walks past with surprisingly soft footfalls. Before either of them can get over the shock of the encounter, they are overwhelmed by the sinking feeling of falling. Arms pinwheeling, they manage to catch one another's hand before falling through the wall behind them. The fall only lasts a few seconds, but in that time, it seems like the universe itself had passed by them. They land hard on a smooth metal surface, still grasping hands.

Peter recovers first. Standing up, he pulls Jack to his feet. Rubbing his backside, he lets go of Jack's hand. “Man, what in the heck was that?! That friggan hurt!” He rambles on for some time, rubbing out various aches caused by their crash. Feeling a tug on his arm, he looks over at Jack. “What?” Jack points behind Peter. Following his finger, Peter spins around. When he sees what Jack had pointed at he takes a step back. Across the bare metal room, is a row of large glass tubes. Many flashing buttons and nobs cover the base of each tube, but that isn't what had caused Peter to recoil. Each tube seems to be filled with a glowing red substance, and suspended in the liquid is what in unmistakeably, humans. All seem to be of the approximately the same age. None of them with any clothing on, there is a fair mix of males and females. Peter puts a hand to his mouth, and turns away. Each and every one of them seem to have had the tops of their skulls removed, and dozens of wires run from the exposed brains to the tops of the tubes.

Jack looks away, unable to look at such a disgusting sight. Peter runs to a corner and vacates his stomach’s contents. Looking around the room, Jack spots only one exit, a hole in the low ceiling. Walking over to the pale pop star, he rubs his back in slow circles. Coughing, Peter stands back up, wiping away vomit and tears. Turning to Jack, he asks in a strained whisper. Peter nearly jumps out of his skin when a voice answers from his pocket. -This is the world known as Versi- Shaking, Peter pulls out a device that looks identical to the ones Iris and Jack have. On the display screen is a picture of a planet. Even having only a junior high education, he can tell, this isn't earth...

I see them, yes, they've split. She goes to see them, I see. They go that way....I feel a, yes! A flux, perhaps now is good. Off they go. Please...please help them...help my City....Help save Grargoth, the city between. I need your help....

To Be A Knight
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Sorry Reply with quote

I am so sorry that this took so long *Bows*....There was a death in the family. Someone close to me, so I kinda lost my spark for a while. But now I'm back, and I hope to see others returning as well!

Well, this is a real change from the light nature of the story so far, I know, but that's how things have to be. I'll try to keep the story moving, but much of that depends on the prompness of the players in responding to me. I hope to get the next chapter up before next weekend. Thank you for all the help in making this SG fun! And crazy-chan, I hope you like the Burger man!

To Be A Knight
Thunderbird
Elder

Topics: 104

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grargoth continues to show amazing creativity and uniqueness... colorful and delighting. Looking forward to more!

CHAPTER 25: Near-Light Speed (NEW CHAPTER! (12/4/2011))
Zephyrrr! And...
kkdestiny
Mayor

Topics: 56

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*continues to stare at last chaqpter with a slack jawed expression*

"The Freedom of Magic" Just got its THIRD chapter up!

Hope you all find the time to read them Very Happy *goes off to look for an SG to read*

Note to self: The Elven Moon; Coin; SVI; Black Animals; Two Wolves; Angel Cat

Items

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YeAh ThIs Is CoOl! So iris is going off to that place now! Razz
crazybookgal
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*gasps and claps hands* the hamburger man!!!!
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:17 am    Post subject: Yup Reply with quote

Yup yup, just fer you! I'm glad you like it! *Goes back to work*

To Be A Knight
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Vault All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: