Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Freedom's Call - Chapter 4, Part 2 is up NOW!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author Chapter
Lost Omega
Resident

Topics: 2

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Freedom's Call - Chapter 4, Part 2 is up NOW! Reply with quote

Prologue

On March 24, 2014, the US government implemented an experimental missile shield technology on a few select towns and cities. A few of the cities, like St. Louis, Missouri, and Black Hawk, Colorado, had success with the project. Others weren’t so lucky mostly due to mechanical failure or citizens protesting their being used as the government’s guinea pigs. One city in particular, however, the city of Freedom’s Hope, failed catastrophically.

Upon activation, the missile shield sucked up more energy than was needed. The shield expanded over the building with a loud BOOM as the ground shook. The shield enveloped the city and its power level ensured that the lights of the city stayed out and all the people stayed in.

The mechanics, scientists, and observers the government sent to oversee the project had all cleared out before the shield was activated. As was standard procedure, they had all left to start the shield remotely. If something went wrong, they could have easily gone back to fix the problem, right?

Wrong, and what do people do when they’re trapped in cages? Well, at first, everyone tried to keep a level head, but after a while, people started to snap. Certain… unhappy individuals decided to take advantage of their state and turned to crime in order to control what little resources the city had left. The local law enforcement tried to maintain order but after a while, they develop an “Aw, fuck it” attitude. A few more weeks of houses getting broken into and people being murdered made the rest of the citizens take their own initiatives. Large gangs started to form and fight each other for food, ammo, and territory. Others chose to keep their noses out of the gangs… Those people usually didn’t last very long.

The city fell into disrepair and the once bright city turned into what the regular citizens call a hell-hole and what gangs and their leaders call opportunity. At this point, there are too many gangs to list but the three biggest gangs are The Roses, The Steels, and The Drifters.

The Roses are violent but usually extend only so far as beatings. They seem to think they don’t need any more territory or resources but enjoy the thrill of beating some poor guy senseless. They’re headed up by Albea Rodriguez.

The Steels make The Roses look like a wart on the backside of a mouse. They are absolutely ruthless and don’t give a damn about who they shoot or why. There are plenty of stories about members randomly picking people off on the streets for, as they put it, “target practice”. The Steels are controlled by Jack Bronson and Alex Rogarti.

The Drifters are the most organized and benevolent of the three. With their constant patrols and strict rules, stealing food and water from them is no easy task. They usually keep to their own territory and usually issue warnings to people attempt to read their food and ammo stores. If those people chose not to head the warnings they were given a bullet in the head. The Drifters are led by Father Patrick Sutherland.

The missile shield is so powerful that it deflects a small percentage of UV rays. This resulted in the city being much cooler than it should be. The city is barely warm during the summer and freezing during the winter. The good news is that when it snows outside, the inside stays dry. When it rains, however, some people gather at the edge of the shield, watch the rain fall, and wish they were out there feeling the rain hit their face.

Check out my SG, Freedom's Call! Chapter 4 - Part 2 is up NOW! In Skiffiville!

What can you do if you live in a shoe but you ain't got no sole?

Have you seen my ninja? He's around here somewhere... Qk

I've got eggs!

Last edited by Lost Omega on Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:36 pm; edited 11 times in total
Lost Omega
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to have Chapter 1 up tomorrow afternoon.

I've got eggs!
Muaddib
Comrade

Topics: 30

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting premise.
Author Chapter
Lost Omega
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Freedom's Call - Chapter 1t Reply with quote

WARNING - THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS SOME FOUL LANGUAGE

Chapter 1

WELCOME TO FREEDOM’S HOPE! A CITY OF NEW BEGINNINGS!

That’s what the sign that Jackson was leaning against said. He was killing time by throwing a ball against the shield that trapped him here and catching it as it bounced back. The shield rippled every time the ball hit it. The sign was riddled with bullet holes, no doubt from previous gang fights over food or other shit. Jackson was dressed in his regular jeans, torn in a few places but they still looked good by his account, a red long-sleeved shirt with a black jacket with fake fur around the hood, and black sneakers. The jacket barely covered two gun holsters each loaded with 9 millimeter hand guns. He also had an automatic rifle strapped to his back and a small pack hitched to his waist with extra ammo.

Jackson threw the ball against the shield again. The ball hit, rippling the shield, and bounced back. He caught it. Rinse and repeat. Thick, gray clouds began to form in the outside world. It was going to rain soon. A group of three people, maybe four, quietly tread to the porch of the beat up house they were in. A tall man led the group followed by a woman, who was only a little shorter than him, and two kids. The man and woman, obviously man and his old ball and chain, were thin and their faces were gaunt. Their kids, however, appeared to be fed, as much as one can be fed in this hell hole. They weren’t rosy but they were cared for.

“Poor bastards.” Jackson said to himself. It began drizzling outside. Little beads of water were appearing at the top of their prison then trickling down the sides. A man, with his rifle in his hands, walked up to the edge of the shield. He put his hand against the shield and closed his eyes. Jackson couldn’t tell from his vantage point but one could guess he was crying.

A black Honda Civic made its way up the road and stopped in front of Jackson. The car had deep scratches running across the side with bullet holes from the quarter panel to the tied up bumper. A boy stepped out from behind the wheel. He was wearing a green heavy jacket, zipped all the way up save for his collar, black jeans and sneakers, and a cap with Mickey Mouse’s head on it. He couldn’t have been older than thirteen or fourteen.

“Looks like it’s gonna rain, eh Jackson?” The boy said.

“Mm hmm, and we ain’t gonna feel a lick of it.” Jackson said.

“Man. I miss being able to run around outside and feel that.”

“I know what you mean, Soren. It’s not gonna happen though.”

Soren sighed. The rain began to fall, getting harder by the minute. The two of them decided to sit and watch the rain fall for a few minutes. It was a beautiful sight. The shield rippled with every rain drop. Ripples filled the invisible wall from end to end, mixing together and dancing across. The shadows of the ripples went across the city, covering it in one large dance.

Soren stood up. “Come on, Jackson. We gotta get Sherry.”

“I’m comin’.” Jackson replied.

Sherry was at the safe house packing up and getting ready for the day. Ammo? Check. Blueprints? Check. First aid? Check. Lunch if we all survive? Check. All set. She had to walk with a small limp because she carried two guns on the same leg. A nine mil in a holster and a smaller gun strapped to her thigh. The lack of sunlight from the rain made the city cold and the safe house even colder. Sherry’s orange jacket was just barely warming her small frame and made her shiver a little but it was better than nothing.

Soren pulled the beat up Civic into the equally beat up garage. The garage door had a huge dent from back in the day when Jackson was running from The Roses and hit it. It’s the reason why the kid was now the driver. Sherry put everything into a backpack and went out to the car. Their food stores were running low and now they had to go out and steal some more for themselves. Their target wasn’t going to be easy either. A food store for The Roses was located a few miles away but hitting it would anger The Roses- not exactly the smartest thing you wanted to do if you wanted to live. Sherry suggested just stealing food from one of the other small groups, like themselves, and Jackson was just about to agree when Soren objected with his juvenile sense of right and wrong.

“Why do we have to steal from people who work for it?” Soren said angrily, “Why can’t we steal from people who don’t deserve it? It’s not fair!”

They deliberated over it for a few solid hours, Soren wasn’t wavering, and they ultimately decided to hit the food store for The Roses. After all, if Jackson gets caught, the worst they’ll do is beat him to a pulp and kick him out, best case scenario. Worst case scenario? Jackson’s personal motto was “Don’t think about the worst case scenario. It’s more fun that way.”

Sherry got into the car where there was another rifle waiting in the backseat for her. She came out with a backpack filled with the things she had just packed plus two extra bags for Jackson to stuff with food.

Sherry threw the bags into Jackson’s lap. “You got enough ammo, Jackson?” she said.

“Yes, Sherry.” Jackson said.

“You sure?”

“Yes, Sherry.”

“Well, take some extra rounds to be safe.” Sherry insisted.

“Sherry, it’s cool! I got more than enough!” Jackson lied.

“Fine. Don’t complain to me if you come back with a bullet in your dumb ass!” Sherry said. She was sure that Jackson would come back with minimal damage but she liked to be sure and have all her bases covered. Soren pulled the Civic out of the garage and headed to The Rose’s food store.

Soren parked the car across the street a small concrete building. It had a rose spray-painted on the side. The guards at the front door were dressed in the standard dark red color that The Roses always wear. Jackson was hardly worried. Snap the guards’ necks and head inside. That should be easy.
Sherry pulled out the blueprints obtained from her backpack and unfurled them. She pointed at various spots on the map, most notably the back door and the room where the food was stored. “This is a small facility and there probably won’t be a lot of food to get in the first place but still, don’t get shot.” She said.

“Yeah. Yeah. I got it.” Jackson said. He grabbed the two bags and slung them over his arms, one over the other. He went behind the building on the next lot in order to get past the front guards. Much to Jackson’s surprise, there was only one guard standing at the door. Jackson easily dispatched him with a crack over the head with one of his guns. The butt of the gun hit the guard’s head with a dull thud and he crumpled to the ground. Jackson wiped the blood off the gun, cleanliness is next to godliness, and tried the door.

The knob turned easily in Jackson’s hand and he went inside. The hall was poorly lit with cracked walls and old linoleum flooring. Sherry said the room was on the left. Here we go. The door was green and old and, like everything else in the city, riddled with bullet holes. Jackson put his ear to the door, trying to hear any guards within. He couldn’t hear anything but he drew his guns anyway. He turned the knob and it creaked loudly. Jackson froze for a moment then slowly continued turning the knob. No one has come to investigate or shoot him so Jackson assumed he was safe. He opened the door and stepped in. The room had one storage rack of cans and a single crate all of which was left unguarded.

Jackson took off the bags and began to fill them. The majority of the food was crappy canned crap but in Freedom’s Hope, it’s more like gold. Jackson was almost half way through his second bag when a man stepped out from the shadows. He was dressed in two jackets, the black one on the inside was zipped up and the denim one on the outside was left open, blue jeans, and white sneakers. No gang colors or signs. Must be another scavenger looking for food. He was holding a gun to Jackson’s head.

“Stop right there, boy. I believe that food your packin’ up there is mine.”

I've got eggs!
Muaddib
Comrade

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it! Like I said earlier, a very interesting premise. However, where is the decision point?
Lost Omega
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dp is what to do with the man. Whether to fight, concede, negotiate, or whatever else you guys can think of. I apologize for forgetting to put it.

I've got eggs!
Andolyn
Mayor's Ambassador

Topics: 20
Location: sitting barefoot in a tree in the beautiful land of Ardara, writing my tales...

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like this!! i love the use of common phrases in odd places. "rinse and repeat". love it.

ok. for the DP, i'd say wait and see what this man is up to...negotiate if possible and see if an opportunity arises to get the better hand...this food is for more than yourself, after all.
PopeAlessandrosXVIII
Arts and Poetry Mod

Topics: 122

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: I think...... Reply with quote

Interesting very interestin. I have to agree, the random phrases popping in here and there are little grins for me.

DP....DP.....Just start talking about nothing in particular and continue packing. As soon as he's done, hand one of the bags to the guy and walk out. It should throw the guy enough that he won't shoot. Razz

Keep up the writings!

To Be A Knight
And my first Finished work Death Day
Muaddib
Comrade

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say talk to the man in a conciliatory fashion. You're loading up his food and he has a weapon pointed at you so fighting and negotiation aren't viable options. Just try to cut your losses and get out of there.
Lost Omega
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good suggestions guys. If there are no more suggestions then I'll have the poll up by the end of the day.

I've got eggs!
Lost Omega
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrite ladies and gentlemen. Cast your votes! The poll will be open for three days.

I've got eggs!
Muaddib
Comrade

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose option one despite myself. It's a dog eat dog world and one can't just let good food slip out of one's hands.
Author Chapter
Lost Omega
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WARNING - STRONG LANGUAGE ENSUES! READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

Chapter 2

The man walked closer to Jackson. The gun was now at Jackson’s forehead. He could feel the cold metal on his skin.

“This food is yours is it?” Jackson said.

“You better believe it! I was just about to pack it all up before you showed up.” The man pronounced the word showed as sherd. “Now, if you wanna keep your hide I suggest leavin’. Now.”

“Can’t we just split it? Sixty-forty? You can take the forty. My name is Jackson, by the way.” Jackson inquired offering a handshake with one hand and moving the other ever so slightly towards his gun.

“Boy, I got more mouths than just mine to feed and if you think you can talk your way into getting this food, then you got another thing comin’.” The man said, knocking Jackson’s hand away.

Jackson moved his hand a little more. Just a little more Jackson. You got-

“DON’T MOVE!” The man shouted. “I’ve been generous up to this point! I got half a mind to blast your fuckin’ brains out and I am a hair’s length from doin’ so!”

You gotta do something NOW, Jackson. Jackson moved his hand back in front of him and as if by divine intervention, the man sneezed. He cocked his head back, moving his hand to his mouth to block the germy spray, as if by instinct. It was in these few seconds that Jackson lunged at his opponent.

Jackson and the man fell to floor. The man’s head hit the ground with a loud conk as white flashes invaded his vision. Jackson tried to pin him down but the man threw him off. Jackson flew into the wall and hit the ground. Jackson was rattled but the man wasn’t in any better shape.

Jackson saw the man stumbling toward him, struggling to grip his gun. Little spots of blood from the back of his head landed on his jacket. The man was passing by the storage rack that Jackson was raiding. Before being so rudely interrupted, he thought. Jackson lunged at the rack. He got behind the rack, put his hands against the wall, and pushed. The rack and all its cans landed on the man’s stomach and pushed him down.

The man laid there on the ground, struggling to push the rack off of his lower section. “Huh. That thing’s heavier than-” Jackson sucked more air into his fatigued lungs and kick the man’s gun away, “-I thought. Now if you’ll just lay there, I’m just gonna pack up the last of these cans and shuffle on out of here.”

Jackson did as he said. He picked the rest of the cans that were still on the rack and around the man, who was now spewing obscenities, picked up the crate, and left the room at a brisk pace. Halfway down the hall, he heard the sound of something crash, no, the sound of storage rack being pushed of a body. “GET BACK HERE, YOU BASTARD!”

Jackson picked up the pace and ran as fast as he could. His knees knocked the crate in his hands which made fleeing all the more difficult. “Shit!” Jackson shouted. A bullet had just whizzed by his ear and stuck in the concrete wall. The front door was wide open and the guards who were positioned there now lay on their backs with holes in their heads and blood all around them. Nice work…

Jackson jumped over the now dead guards and ran as fast as he could. Feet don’t fail me now. The man was nearly on his heels now. Soren and Sherry had started firing rifles from the car windows. The man was unfazed and continued after Jackson.

“Soren! Start the fucking car!” Jackson shouted. Soren pulled his rifle out of the window and started to climb over the center console and into the driver’s seat. Meanwhile, Sherry was still firing shots from her position in the back seat. One of the bullets missed Jackson’s head by mere centimeters. Jackson clapped his hand to his ear. Still there. Good.

Jackson finally reached the car and threw the crate and bags through the window. Jackson pulled the car’s door handle and got the door open. The man was not going to let this rat bastard get away. He grabbed Jackson by his belt and the top of his jacket and through him to the ground. Jackson scrambled to his feet and threw a punch at his opponent. The man, despite his size, was quicker. He dodged and socked Jackson in his stomach lifting him off his feet. Jackson landed on his knees and tried to track his thoughts. He was seeing a blurry gray mess but he saw the man’s fist crash into his face.

Jackson fell to the ground. He now tasted his own blood and his vision had become a small light at the end of a very long tunnel. His feet were failing him and his stomach wasn’t doing him any favors either. He tried to get up, got on all fours, and flopped onto his back like a cockroach.

The man drew his gun, breathing hard, and pointed it at Jackson’s head. He pulled the hammer on the gun back then his head exploded. A red goopy mess rained down on Jackson as the man’s corpse, now headless, collapsed to the ground. Sherry stood there with her rifle, shaking.

Back at the safe house, Sherry was a mess. She paced around the nearly destroyed kitchen, biting her nails. “Stop pacing Sherry. You’ll wear a hole in the floor.” Jackson told her.

“I killed somebody today!” Sherry shouted. Her eyes were wide open and her pupils were quite large. Her fears showed clear on her face. “That’s not my job! That’s yours or Soren’s if you steal one of his fruit cups!”

Soren perked up at the mention of his name, figured that the comment was nothing, and put his head back in his arms. He was sitting at what used to be a nice bar made of mahogany wood and glass where all but a single bottle of brandy had been destroyed. The smell of various whiskeys and rums still hung in the air. Soren was sitting in one of the bright red and torn barstools. His feet dangled a couple inches off the ground

“It’s okay Sherry. We got the food and you killed a man that was about to end me. I almost had him, make no mistake.” Jackson said.

“You were flat on your back and couldn’t see two inches in front of you.” Soren said.

“I had a clear shot at him. I just needed a- a breather if you will.”

“Who takes a breather during a fight?”

“Well maybe you should’ve fought him then.”

“I woulda shot him. I don’t know why you didn’t.”

“You know wh-”

“SHUT UP!” Sherry’s face was a dark red and tears were streaming down her face. It reminded Jackson of the beads of water flowing down the sides of the shield which held them here. “You two don’t have the faintest idea about what I’m going through! I just turned a man’s head into a chunky soup!” Her nostrils had now started flaring and her chest was heaving. “I- I need to go outside.”

Sherry walked towards the door. Please God. Never let me get into that again. She opened the door and stepped across the threshold out onto the small porch of the safe house. The rain had ended and the last threads of water were making their way down the shield. A gray SUV made its way up the street

“She’ll be fine.” Jackson said. “She’s frail but she’s strong.” Soren now began kicking the bar making a dull sound as leather met wood. Thump. Thump. Thump. Sherry began talking to somebody outside. The voices were muffled and Jackson could only make out the words “get” and “here”.

Two loud bangs came from outside, shattering the air. Sherry screamed loudly. Jackson threw himself on to his two feet and grabbed his two guns. Soren jumped off the stool and armed himself with the assault rifle that was on his back. The two of them ran as fast they could towards the front door.

DP - I think I'll give you guys some free reign. Who's attacking Sherry? Why? What does Jackson do?

I've got eggs!
Muaddib
Comrade

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another well-written chapter!

I think the people who attacked Sherry are the gang of the man Sherry just capped in the head. They've come to take revenge.
Andolyn
Mayor's Ambassador

Location: sitting barefoot in a tree in the beautiful land of Ardara, writing my tales...

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hate that i missed the poll on this one! i'm with Mauddib though, i say it's a revenge plot. Jackson should run out and repay her for saving his life.

keep it up, this is great!
Lost Omega
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like I won't have to put up a poll for chapter 3. I'll get to work on the new chapter tomorrow if nobody tosses out an alternative.

I've got eggs!
Andolyn
Mayor's Ambassador

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yay!!
Author Chapter
Lost Omega
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter 3

Jackson and Soren ran through the cramped hallway of the safe house as quickly as they could. They jumped over knocked over lamps and end tables as they scrambled for the door. Jackson kicked the door and it slammed open outwards. I’ll fix the hinges later. A grey Highlander sat across the street. A group of three men stood in front of it with their guns aimed at Jackson and Soren. The man standing in the middle was dressed in a brown leather jacket and black pants and had one arm wrapped tightly around Sherry’s neck. She was struggling to escape but her efforts didn’t work.

Jackson and Soren halted at the top of the steps. Another step and the men probably would have gunned them down. “G’day mates. The name’s Damien. That’s Buzz and Gill.” The two men on either side of Damien waved their guns a bit in greeting. “We’re just here to collect. You see? This little bitch here,” Damien strengthened his grip on Sherry and she squealed. “killed one of me mates. Blew his head right off.”

“Sherry didn’t do that. It was me!” Jackson said.

Damien laughed. Jackson understood. He knew the weakness of his lie. “We saw the whole thing go down. My man had you down and out. All he had to was shoot ya.” Damien pointed his gun at Jackson and recoiled it as if he had fired a shot, popping his lips. “Poor buck. Won’t be able to get his share of the food he was getting … Which you’re going to give me.” Damien raised his gun and aimed at Jackson.

“Fuck off.” Jackson said.

“Let me put this in layman’s terms.” Damien’s voice deepened. “Give us the food or the little bitch leaves this world the same way my man left it.” He put his gun to her head. Sherry closed her eyes tightly and a tear streamed down from her eye.

“Soren... Get the food.” Jackson said.

“But Jackson! We can’t let them win!” Soren cried.

“Soren. Listen to me. Get the food.”

“But-”

“Soren, get the god-damned food!”

Soren looked at Jackson wide-eyed. Jackson’s never raised his voice at him before. He backed away and went into the safe house. He climbed over the downed lamps and tables and entered the kitchen. The bags were left on the kitchen table and Soren picked them up. Soren moved to the pantry, heavy hearted. Hot tears stung his eyes as he opened it up and threw the food into the bags. When the job was done, there were only seven cans left.

Soren carried the bags back to the front steps. Jackson still stood there, guns drawn yet useless at his side. “Throw them down here, boy!” Damien said. Soren obeyed and tossed the bags to the bottom of the steps. Damien motioned to one of his guys to pick up the bags. The man on the left, Buzz, moved to pick up the bags. The sun shined off his bald head as he bent down to get the bags.

“Thank ya, kindly!” Buzz said.

“Now if you’ll excuse us, we’ll take our leave.” Damien said. Buzz and Gill piled
into the front seats of the SUV. Damien started pulling Sherry to the door of the SUV.

“Stop!” Jackson shouted. He jumped off the steps and ran towards Damien.

“Ap bup bup!” Damien shouted pulling the hammer back on the gun. Jackson froze in his tracks. “Good man. Almost lost her head there, didn’t she? It’s good to know she’s got a man who can listen.” Damien pushed Sherry into the car and got in. When he got all the way in, he closed the door, and rolled down the window. “Now after alla this, I hope we can still be best of friends.”

“Fuck you.” Jackson said.

“Fuck you.” Soren said under his breath.

“Now what kinda language is that to use when you’re talking to a friend? Bye now.” The grey SUV drove down the street. With Sherry still inside.

Jackson was angry. Angry like fuck! He just had his food taken out from under him and he just lost Sherry. He was pacing frantically around the kitchen, as Sherry had been doing earlier that day. Before you let her get taken, dear Jackson. “Fuck!” He shouted. Soren was sitting at the table with his head in his arms. He was silently crying.

“Damn it! Damn it! Damn it!” Jackson shouted slamming his fist on the table with each shout. Soren jumped a bit then put his head back again. “How did this happen? What the hell went wrong? And the smugness of that bastard! If I see him again I will fucking kill him! And I’ll make it last! Oh ho, I’ll make it last!”

“It’s all my fault.” Soren said quietly.

“What?”

“It’s all my fault Jackson! I forced you guys to go to that damned storage house. If I had kept my mouth shut, then you wouldn’t have run into that man, then Sherry wouldn’t have had to shoot him, then she wouldn’t have been taken away from us!” Soren put his head back down and sobbed loudly. Jackson’s anger turned into sentiment for the kid. He was only thirteen and was waist deep in violence and bullshit. Jackson sighed and walked out of the room. What was he going to say? It’s not your fault? Don’t beat yourself up? That hardly works. And it was actually your fault, Jackson. Soren was a good kid- smart kid even- but there was nothing Jackson could say to make him feel any better.

The only thing that matters now is getting Sherry back. How though? Damien seemed smart enough to hide in a hidden location; probably heavily guarded if he had the man power. He didn’t even know two shits about the guy. But he had Sherry and that was all that mattered. He was going to get her back, one way or the other. But he would need help.

********************************************************************************************

Alrite DP. What does Jackson do? Who does he go to for help? Does he go to another gang or somebody else. If you want you can make up your own character.

I've got eggs!

Last edited by Lost Omega on Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Muaddib
Comrade

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the way you've written this, it's very realistic especially the emotions.

Jackson and Soren gather as many weapons as they can and haul ass. If they lose the vehicle now, they might never get Sherry back. Full out assault I say.
Thunderbird
Elder

Topics: 104

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read through the second chapter and its really great so far! Just keep in mind that if you outpace your readers you'll end up with scant few quickly. Give us time to catch up Smile I should have the last chapter read tomorrow I think.

CHAPTER 25: Near-Light Speed (NEW CHAPTER! (12/4/2011))
Zephyrrr! And...
Vishal Muralidharan
Respected Citizen

Topics: 24

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read through everything, and I really do enjoy it. I'll go with Muaddib on the DP suggestion. I can't see anything else to do at this point. We can't afford to risk Sherry.

Very Happy

Also, Tbird's tip is real good. Give us a week ATLEAST between chapters, so that more people have time to read your story. I know if you're enthusiastic, it may sound a lot, but hey, you need the readers Wink

The eyes are useless if the mind is blind.
Muaddib
Comrade

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or to pile onto Thunderbird's and Vishal's suggestions, you could opt to move to the speedwriter's section.
Vishal Muralidharan
Respected Citizen

Topics: 24

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muaddib wrote:
Or to pile onto Thunderbird's and Vishal's suggestions, you could opt to move to the speedwriter's section.

Which is WITHIN a week, but even there, give us atleast 5 days. Cool

The eyes are useless if the mind is blind.
Lost Omega
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alritey guys. Note taken. I shall wait. Very Happy

I've got eggs!
Lost Omega
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bumping the thread here...

I've got eggs!
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unbelievably powerful tension you're creating here! Great job! My only hope is that you stay with us for a very long time continuing to deliver great chapters like these Smile

As for the DP... hmm... I say they call on a friend among the Drifters to assist them... or at least they try to. They had parted on bad terms but who knows? Perhaps bygones may now be bygones. Besides, he IS Sherry's ex-boyfriend... (which also explains the bad terms upon which they parted...)

Zephyrrr! And...
Andolyn
Mayor's Ambassador

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ima go with TB on this one...i'd say get help. there wasnt much the two of them could do alone as we just saw...

still loving it! keep it up!!
kc9cra
Resident

Topics: 5

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: I wanna kill kill kill kill kill Reply with quote

I agree, go find help, but when you find these guys, it is necissary to kill as many as you can, not just toprotect Shary, but because not dooing so means this sociopath gets away with it. This means he will see these two as easy targets and do more to them. It is necissary to bring as much amo as possible and kill them all. If not all, most, and make sure Damien dies.
Lost Omega
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're now polling! If the "get help" option wins then I'll be using Tbird's character suggestion. Thanks Tbird!

I've got eggs!
Lost Omega
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody else is going to vote?

I've got eggs!
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean... I voted though so I can't further assist here.

Zephyrrr! And...
Lost Omega
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alritey. Here's what I'll do. I'll leave the poll for one more day. At 6:00pm tomorrow, I will close the poll and write Chapter 4. I'm getting anxious here, people!

I've got eggs!
Lost Omega
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrite, Ladies and gentlemen! The poll has been closed. Jackson will get help before attempting to save Sherry. I will be using Tbird's awesome character suggestion. Again, thank you Tbird!

I've got eggs!
Lost Omega
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you guys know, I haven't abandoned this storygame. I'm still working on Chapter 4 but college life is starting to catch up with me. I'll try to have the new chapter up in a day or two.

I've got eggs!
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took me two months between chapters last time but I AM very glad to hear that you'll be continuing with this amazing narrative!

Zephyrrr! And...
Lupaviola7
Visitor

Topics: 1

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highly enjoyes this story..very interesting premise extremely original..cant wait for the nest chapter get on it Wink
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to IF Lupa! Yes... good story to start with here. I only hope the author sees fit to continue it.

Zephyrrr! And...
Lost Omega
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Fellow IFians,

Fret not for I am still working on this story. The latest chapter is getting kinda long so I'll have to chop it up. I'll try to get part 1 up by tonite or tomorrow at the latest (hopefully). Thumbs Up

I've got eggs!
Author Chapter
Lost Omega
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Chapter 4 - Part 1 Reply with quote

WARNING - STRONG LANGUAGE AND VIOLENCE

Soren sat on the front steps of the safe house. Tears rolled down his eyes as he looked past the shield towards the green trees that stood outside his reach. He still blamed himself for what happened to Sherry. He could still see the fear in Sherry’s every muscle; that lone tear streaming from her eye. He could see that bastard Damien pulling that hammer back, just a twitch from turning Sherry’s head to Jell-O. He crossed his arms on his legs and rested his chin on them. I hate this fucking place.

Jackson crept along the side of a broken down building. The white paint was peeling off and there cracks going around the sides. The seven cans in the cupboard at the safe house had dwindled to three and now Jackson was here doing probably the dumbest thing to even think about in Freedom’s Call. He decided to steal food from the most organized gang in the whole city: The Drifters. Jackson told Soren to stay behind at the safe house. If anybody was going to pick up a bullet, it was not going to be the thirteen year old kid.

Jackson silently made his way to the edge of the wall and peered around the corner. There were two guards guarding the door. They were wearing yellow, as was the customary color of The Drifters. Their jackets had faded a bit and had tears. Jackson and undid the buckles of his holsters. Click, click. Jackson started to sweat and a nasty taste invaded his mouth. He pulled the guns out and checked their ammo. Full rounds. Jackson took a deep breath.

Jackson ran out from the corner and aimed at the two guards. They aimed their rifles at him and fired. One of the bullets grazed Jackson’s arm but that was the least of his worries. He had to get food. You have to redeem yourself, Jackson. Jackson aimed his guns at the two guards’ heads and pulled the triggers. The two guards fell to the ground with fresh bullet holes in their head. One of The Drifters’ patrols surely heard the gunfire and would be here soon. Jackson searched the first guard and found a ring of keys. Surely one of these must be for the door.

Jackson tried the first key. It was silver and fatter than the others. He put it in and tried to turn it. It wouldn’t budge. He tried the next key, gold and thin but long. Jackson could hear the low hum of an engine moving up the road. Not much time now. He put the key in and tried once more to turn it. Nothing. The hum was getting louder now. Shit, shit, shit. Jackson scrambled for the next key, silver and short. The hum had become even louder now. The patrol was probably right around the corner now. He put the key in, said a short prayer, and turned the key. The key didn’t work. There was only one key left on the ring but Jackson didn’t bother looking at it. He jammed it in and turned. The key was tough but it buckled under Jackson adrenaline-fueled strength. Jackson quickly went inside the building and shut the door.

Outside the patrol slowly made its way up the street.

Jackson kept his guns drawn as he slowly made his way down the hall. The Drifters maintained the look of this place by the looks of it. The walls were painted yellow and white and a crucifix hung at the end of the hallway. Despite the hallway’s length, there were only three doors. Jackson assumed the rest of the keys on the ring were for each door. He stopped at the first door and put his ear to it. Jackson heard nothing on the other side of the door but knew better than to underestimate The Drifters. He kept his guns drawn and opened the door a crack. There weren’t any guards in this room but nor was their food. Nothing here but a makeshift chapel in case one of The Drifters gets guilty over shooting someone in the face.

Jackson moved farther down the hallway and tried the next door. Jackson noticed one guard in the room and aimed his gun at him. “Don’t move!” Jackson commanded. The guard held his gun in one hand and a small radio communicator in the other. His finger held the button on the radio down so if The Drifters didn’t know he was already here, they certainly knew now. “Shit.” Jackson said. Jackson pulled the trigger on his gun and the bullet flew through the air and into the man’s shoulder. The man fell to the ground with a scream, wounded, but alive. The radio flew out of his hand and across the room when he fell. Jackson saw shelves upon shelves of food. There was corn and various assortments of beans. There was also water. So much water!

Jackson was so enthralled with the haven of sustenance that he didn’t hear the patrol come through the door.

Jonathan and his patrol slowly worked their way up the street. He had heard gunshots and refused to let the trespasser escape by scaring him off. The rosary against his chest shook with the car. Mac and Jackie sat in the front seats of the truck. The group was dressed in yellow and white, as was customary for The Drifters. Father Sutherland doesn’t allow any dark colors in the group.

They pulled the truck up to the storehouse and the first things they noticed was Maxi and Drake dead on the ground with holes in their heads. “Dear God…” Jackie said pulling her rosary out from her white jacket. She started saying Hail Mary’s in her head as they group approached the building. Maxi laid there with that ugly hole in his head. Drake fell with his eyes wide open. Their bright green luster had become hollow and dull. Mac bent down and pulled Drake’s eyelids closed. Jonathan drew his gun prepared to issue a single warning then shoot the intruder in the head despite their choice to listen to it. Jackie finished her prayers with a Glory Be and drew her rifle. She was gonna get the bastard that did this. She didn’t care if it meant condemning her soul to eternal damnation.

Jonathan and the group silently made their way down the hallway. The first door they checked was the door to the chapel. Jackie held on tight to her rosary as Jackie opened the door. Jackie pushed the door open and Jonathan stormed in pointing his gun in all directions searching for the intruder. “All clear.” He said. The chapel was nothing more than an old table with some candles on it with a picture of Mary behind it but the faith of the gang made up for the lack of beauty. Mary’s eyes, those beautiful eyes, seemed to follow the three of them around the room. The radio on Jonathan’s waste crackled a bit then an unknown voice came through. “Don’t move!” Jonathan thought that he knew the voice for a second then perished the thought. It couldn’t possibly be him pulling a lunatic stunt like this. Jonathan’s thoughts were broken when Jackie grabbed the radio from his waist.

“Malcolm! Malcolm, are you okay?” She screamed into the radio. No response.

Jonathan ran out the chapel followed closely by Jackie and Mac. Halfway down the hall, Jonathan threw up his hand, signaling Jackie and Mac to stop. The door to store room was open a crack and there was a shuffling coming from it. Jonathan steeled himself and gripped his gun tightly. Jonathan took a deep breath and kicked the door open. The intruder turned on his heels and pointed one of his guns at the group. Jonathan was too quick for him, however, and hit the intruder in the head with his gun.

Jackson laid on the ground with white hot pain searing down the side of his face. He was in the middle of finishing his packing when the patrol from outside had burst in. Jackson felt something cold and metal against the back of his head. “Stand up and turn around slowly.” The voice said.

“Damn…” Jackson groaned as he stood up. He remembered having his guns in his hands but now they were in the hands of some Drifter chick. She was kinda cute. Then Jackson saw the image of his attacker. He was dressed in a white jacket and pants with yellow gloves. Then Jackson saw his face. The man he had saved about two years ago. “Shit Gabriel. You find God?”

Jonathan had not heard that name in over a year. He was just another scavenger; stealing supplies from gangs and other smaller groups. He had gone to steal some ammo from a store house with Sherry, the love of his life, when they were attacked by the people who owned the place. Jonathan managed to get out of the house unscathed but Sherry took a bad hit. She was on the ground bleeding from her shoulder. “gabriel...” she whispered to her lover.

Gabriel reached over and grabbed her hand. “You’re gonna be fine, just stay with me!” A man stepped forward, from nowhere, Gabriel thought, and fired at the owners of the house. There was a kid with him, around 12, maybe. The kid knelt next to Sherry and looked at her wound. “You need to let us take her.” He said. Gabriel was dumbfounded at the kid’s balls. He shows up out of nowhere and expects Gabriel to pass Sherry over so easily.

“Not on your life, kid.” Gabriel said.

“You want her to live right?” The man shouted from in front of them, still firing at the house.

“But-”

“No buts! We have a medic back at our safe house who can patch her up!” The man shouted. “Soren! Get her up! You! Give me some help up here!”

Gabriel got up and aimed at the men piling out of the house. He fired his gun and the bullet hit one of the men in his leg. His leg swung out as he fell to the ground.

“Good shot. What’s your name?” The man said.

“Gabriel. Who the hell- Wait, where are you going?” The man had already taken off towards his car that Soren was currently pulling Sherry into. “Hey! Wait!”

“No time! You stay here and cover us! Go to 235 Black Street. You’ll find us there.” With that, the car peeled off down the street and Gabriel was left to fend for himself. Two more men ran out of the safe house and Gabriel fired at them. One of the bullets hit one of the men in the jaw, he went down but another bullet just clipped the other guys arm. He stepped back in pain for a moment then continued to charge after Gabriel. He rammed Gabriel with his shoulder and both of them tumbled to the ground. The man, fueled by pure adrenaline and some old donuts that he was now breathing into Gabriel’s face, grabbed Gabriel by the throat and squeezed. Gabriel started struggling and his face went red. In the tumble, he lost his gun and it now lay just beyond his arm’s length. He grasped in the dirt for it.

“Can’t get to yer gun? That’s a shame. I was hoping for more of a challenge.” The man chuckled.

Gabriel continued to grasp for his gun. Tears were rolling down his face which looked like a tomato at this point. In a fit of desperation, Gabriel punched his opponent in the face. He loosened his grip on Gabriel’s neck just enough so that Gabriel could squirm a bit and grab his gun. He grabbed it, pushed it into the man’s stomach, and pulled the trigger. The bullet flew through the man’s stomach and out the other side. His eyes widened as his mouth started to fill with blood. A little bit dripped out of his mouth and onto Gabriel’s cheek. Gabriel pushed the man off and struggled to his feet, gasping for breath.

After collecting his thoughts and breath for a few minutes, Gabriel walked to the nearest intersection. “Alrite. I’m at 4th and Downing so I need to walk 4 miles to the outskirts of the city to find Black Street. Shit…” Gabriel said. So he began the long trek to the safe house where his lover currently awaited him.

Gabriel had walked two miles before finding a narrow alley and falling asleep. He woke up the next morning, around 10, trying to remember how he got there. Then he remembered everything; Sherry getting hurt; the kid taking her away; and the location of the man’s safe house. Jackson got on his feet and started to walk again. He looked at the shield holding him in Freedom’s Hope and started to think of ways to break the shield and escape. If we get enough energy behind a large object then maybe we could smash it. No. It would only bounce back and crush us all. These thoughts continued and before long he reached Black Street. He started to count the houses which were set up in rows of ten. Gabriel followed the houses until he came to the right one. The civic was in the driveway so they must have been home. Gabriel went up the steps and knocked on the red door. The mail slot opened up then closed. Gabriel heard a few locks click then the door opened. Gabriel stared down the barrel of a gun held by the kid from the day before.

“Move slowly.” The kid said.

Gabriel disregarded the kid as no threat and stepped right past him. This resulted in a pistol whip to his knee. Gabriel fell to the ground as pain shot through his knee and to the rest of his leg.

“You better listen to Soren, Gabriel. He takes security very seriously around here.” A voice called from farther in the house. Gabriel got up onto his feet using the wall to balance himself, barely. He limped farther into the house as Soren shut the door. The place was a mess. There was dust all over the place and floating in the air and the cracks in the walls were huge. The wallpaper was falling off the walls and the paint looked like it could’ve used a new coat.

The man who had shown up out of nowhere sat at the table. Sherry sat with him, in his arms. “What’s going on here?” Gabriel said, fearing the answer.

“Well it’s nice to see you too.” the man said. “The name’s Jackson. We got Sherry here all fixed up. She should be out scavenging again in a week or two.”

“Where’s the medic?”

“He uh… He kinda cleared out our pantry and ran out in the middle of the night… But that’s alrite because we can take care of Sherry ourselves.”

“What do you mean ‘ourselves’? I’m just here to pick up Sherry and then I’m leaving.” Gabriel said.

“I’m not leaving, Gabriel.” Sherry said. “I think I’m going to stay here.”

“What? Why?” Gabriel shouted. He was astonished with the words coming out of Sherry’s mouth.

“Well, I like it better here and Jackson needs more help than you do plus he’s got a kid with him-”

“You’ve fallen for him, haven’t you?” Gabriel said quietly.

Sherry didn’t say anything but only looked away as her face turned red.

“It’s okay. It’s okay. I understand…” Gabriel said. “I’ll fucking kill you!” Gabriel ran at Jackson, preparing to tackle him. Jackson moved to the left and stuck his foot out. Gabriel tripped on Jackson’s foot and his face collided with the countertop. Jackson then picked him up by the back of his pants, took him to the front door, and threw him down the steps. Sherry stood on the top of the stoop with tears in her eyes. “I’m sorry” was the last thing she said before stepping back into the house and closing the door.

Sorry I took so long to get this up. College is more of a challenge than I anticipated. I'll try to get part 2 up later this week.

I've got eggs!

Last edited by Lost Omega on Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thunderbird
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice to see a new chapter up here LO! Will be back later to absorb... be patient with me Wink

Zephyrrr! And...
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Vault All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: