Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
IFy Nomination Thread

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The 2009 IFYs
View previous topic :: View next topic  

DeadManWalking
Duke of the Mostly Dead

Topics: 30

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: IFy Nomination Thread Reply with quote

As you probably already saw in my other Announcement, which you should have read first (if you didn't here is the link.

So here are the Various Categories and a Description of Each.

Best Storygame

Best Overall Storygame. What else is there to say?

Nominations:

Magician's Touch by CrunchyFrog (Nom by Skitty)

Sector 17 by Reiso (Nominated by CF and Whitey)
Best Plot

Is there a storygame that you really love the twisting and turnings of? Something with a great twist every couple chapters, or some epic tale of starships and adventure? Well them nominate it here!

Nominations:

American Vampire by Kalanna Rai (Nom by Me)

Best Character

Here's the category where classic main characters can be commemorated, where tarnished heroes and awesomely horrific villains can receive their due. So nominate the most memorable characters of Skiffy here!

Nominations:

Angelo from Galleons of the Stars, by Kalanna Rai (Nominated by CF)

Anramun from Shatterglass by Kalanna Rai (Nominated by Lady)

Best Description/Detail

If there has ever been a scene so detailed, so descrip...ted? Descripted? Is that the word? Well anyways, if there's a scene from any storygame that you believe worthy of the IFy's, nominate it here.

Nominations:

Targh going into pod from Smee's Trade Windows (see CF's nom post for more specifics)

Best Style/Most Original

The Category Most Open to interpretation. (HEM's prolly gonna win this one, but Hey! let's give it a shot) If there's an sgame out there in Skiffy that you believe has a really great style, submit it here!

Nominations:

Uriel by Alegria (Nom by Me)

Best Supporting Character

A Place for the Han Solos and the Samwises of every story. (Although Samwise should be the main character; Frodo was a whiney little... yeah.) Submit here! (And of course specify the character.)

Nominations:

Jerry from Sector 17 by Reiso (Nom by CF)

Mart from Smee's Trade Windows (Nom by Skitty)

Best Decision Point

Decisions, Decisions. Which was the best? Whether you like more innovative ones or prefer classic dilemmas, this is the category for DPs, the part that makes stories storygames. To be or not to be, that is your question. (It doesn't have to make sense as long as i reference an important Shakespeare Play.)

Nominations:

Uriel by Alegria (Nom Phan)

Galleons of the Stars by Kalanna Rai spec. Chapter 14 (Nom CF)

Trade Windows by Smee, specifically chapters 3 and 4 (Nom by TP)

Best Non-SGOTM Winner

Like the Best Storygame category, except no SGOTM's allowed. A chance for the underdog to rise up, or at least get some recognition.

Nominations:

Best Critic

Nominations:

Last edited by DeadManWalking on Mon May 04, 2009 4:41 pm; edited 11 times in total
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough decisions - and its difficult to do it all at once, so I think I'll be dipping back into this thread over the next few days with further thoughts as I remind myself of some of the chapters posted in this district over the past year.

Best Character - My nomination would be the alcoholic Angelo, from Galleons of the Stars by Kalanna Rai. He likes a drink and he's full of dark secrets. He's not quite the hero but not really an anti-hero either, fulfilling a dual role as ruthless space-pirate and guardian to six orphans who double up as his crew.

Best Non-SGOTM winner - Without a doubt my nomination for this is Sector 17 by Reiso. Though I get the feeling this SG may not qualify for this category for much longer, and if it doesn't, I'll be nominating it for best overall instead!

We are only 2 chapters in and already the characters, their relationships and the claustrophobic setting are well established. The mysteries surrounding its futuristic environment are just beginning to present themselves, letting us explore at just the right pace. The striking presentation with the text layout and colourscheme adds to the feel of this storygame. Let the chapters keep coming!
Lady of the Shadows
Resident

Topics: 4
Location: In the Valley of Shadows...Not such a bad place to be.

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, let's see...

Best Character: I nominate Anramun from Shatterglass by Kalanna Rai.
Anramun is mysterious, strong and golden. He is completely believable as a character and his actions are true to his nature. So yes, I nominate Anramun.

Very Happy

If you look long and hard into the deep of the abyss, you will find me. In the last rays of the lingering sun, you will find me. But I will not return to you yet.
Phantomfan
Citizen

Topics: 7

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to nominate Uriel by Alegria for Best DP.
It's a great creepy mystery with riddles attached to every DP, forcing the readers to think before they can decide what the characters should do. Definitely makes it fun to participate in!

Here's some stuff I started writing a long time ago. Orb. Nexus.
The White Blacksmith
Elder

Topics: 15

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure you have to nominate a specific DP for that one.

Tea Cures All.
Alegria
Honored Citizen

Topics: 76
Location: On the beaches with Dr. Suess' Sneeches. Only the star-bellied ones, of course.

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, in the past stories have been nominated for overall DP quality.

-Friedrich Dürrenmatt

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
scissorkitty
Respected Citizen

Topics: 59

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has Grim Reaping by AshKent won any SGOTM? If not, I'd like to nominate it for best non-SGOTM winner. I'm just overjoyed that it's back in action! The hilarity, the irony, the craziness and random characters- ahh. Special.
The White Blacksmith
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every storygame with its own forum has won SGotM, so Grim Reaping has won it. Sorry.

Tea Cures All.
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Well, you're in the wrong district... and it is a SGOTM winner, so perhaps you could nominate Grim Reaping as best overall - in HEM. Very Happy

I've been glancing through some storygames looking for candidates for best DP. It's been difficult to find one that I could say was a candidate for 'best', I can think of one that was very memorable because it was controversial. I'm not even sure it will qualify for this years IFYs since it was posted in January 2008, but I guess Leggy would have the final say whether it qualifies.

It is Chapter 14 of Galleons of the Stars, in which the DP was a simple choice of which one of two characters had to die - and we had to decide which one. It certainly got people thinking about the characters, and what other possible alternatives there might be.

So - if it is eligible, I'll forward that one for best DP.
Alegria
Honored Citizen

Location: On the beaches with Dr. Suess' Sneeches. Only the star-bellied ones, of course.

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that qualifies

-Friedrich Dürrenmatt

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DeadManWalking
Duke of the Mostly Dead

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey People!!! We have til Friday til Nominations end, and we still have categories with nothing in there!

SO C'MON PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For best supporting character I'm going to nominate Jerry from Sector 17 by Reiso.

Jerry is part of a 3 man crew of a submersible, and in just 3 chapters he's developing into a fine character. Very much the technician of the crew, he's in tune with all the technology in his world. He doesn't like fuss, is loyal to his boss and has come out with some great one-liners in this SG so far. Here he is in the first scene, with his boss, Kent, and his colleague, Sarah:

Reiso wrote:
"Damn. What sector are we on, Jer?"

"Thirteen, boss. We are showing no positive signs of any mineable deposits, no thermals, no gas emissions, and no bacterial traces. Instruments show we aren't likely to hit anything until grid 212, which are sectors... twenty through fifty."

"I know what the damned sensors say, Jerry, I've been staring at the readouts for eleven hours!"

"So have we, boss."

"I know. Sorry. Just getting kind of cramped in here, you know?"

"Yeah," answered Jerry as he took off his thick glasses and cleaned them with his shirt. "Cramped and hot."

"And stuffy. Sarah, how's the air?"

"Three hours, give or take. We're maintaining a thirty minute range to the feed, so that gives us a little over two hours before we have to beg off and plug in--Jerry, where's that put us?"

Jerry put his glasses back on and keyed in some commands with his console. He stroked his graying red beard as the results scrolled across his screen. "It looks like we'll be around sectors thirty-one and thirty-two by then. Right around there."

Kent glanced at his screen to confirm the details. "So we'll be well into grid 212. Ok, good, good. Sarah, what's the feed integrity looking like where we're gonna hit her up?"

"Gimmie a sec." She brushed long black hair out of her face and flipped the screen switch on her console, then typed in a few commands.

Blue light flashed beyond the portholes, dim survivor of the display from the magnetic storms up on the surface. The lightning was actually purple, but the red light never made it down this far. The deep whir of the submersible's engines droned on, nearly lulling in its monotony. Bulbs blinked, needles twitched, and the displays showed the same old barren stretch of lifeless, resourceless sand illuminated by their floodlights.

"Today, Sarah," Kent said.

"What, you in a hurry? We got a three hour wait, either way."

"Not if the feed integrity is too low, we don't."

"It won't be."

"But what if it is?"

"I said, it won't be."

"Is that your intuition, or your instruments talking?"

"Shut up, Jerry."

Kent shifted anxiously in his chair and stared at the screen of his console, hoping against his better judgment that something would show up that the sensors had missed.

"Sector fourteen. Sensors say there's a five foot drop coming. Adjust depth?"

"No," Kent said, "five feet won't matter for visibility. There's nothing here anyway."

Jerry leaned forward and rested his chin on the palm of his hand.

"Don't be so negative, Will--" Sarah's console beeped and her eyes snapped back to her screen. "Got it! Feed integrity at rendezvous will be... thirty-three percent."

"Jesus," Jerry muttered over the fingers on his face.

"Dammit! God Dammit!"

"I tried to tell you, Sarah."

"I don't want to hear it, Kent," Sarah shouted.

"Don't want to hear it? If I didn't tell you to run that analysis, we wouldn't have found out until we got there, which would have cost us time, and money, and--"

"Like I would have waited that long to run it, what am I, stupid? And so what if you had to tell me, you're the captain, aren't you? Isn't that your job?"

"Oh," Kent said, jumping to his feet. He jerked a thumb at his own chest. "Excuse me if I want a little bit of control over my own damned ship!"

"You two ought to be married," Jerry said.

"Shut up, Jerry," Kent and Sarah both shouted together.
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For best description, it has to be Targh going into his pod, in chapter 2 of Smee's Trade Windows.

Smee wrote:
"Prepare for Pod Initialisation." Targh commanded the computer.

The only acknowledgement of the order was a brief beep, but almost immediately the cabling around the base took on the same blue glow as the power circuits on the rest of the ship. A hatch in the top was pulled out by an overhead lifting unit, and it lowered the attached harness down to ground level. Securing his belongings in a wall cubical, Targh quickly removed his loose fitting clothing, shivered and headed over to the harness. With practiced ease he fastened himself inside it. As the last saftey catch clicked into place the lifting unit immediately rose up, taking Targh with it, and gently lowered him inside the pod. With a hiss of sealing gases, the hatch on top shut and instantly pumps started filling it with a warm, oozing amber liquid. Targh ignored it, concerning himself instead with final checks of his harness. Satisfied, he leaned back, and relaxed. Finally he was home.

The liquid continued to rise, submerging Targh quickly in its sticky warmth. As it approached his neck, a head unit came down, sliding down over his face, and coming to rest on his shoulders. A mouthpiece, that would supply him with food, air and water for as long as he needed, slotted into place. A few moments later his head was submerged and Targh braced himself for final connection. His eyes blinked underneath the fluid, having no problem opening as they surveyed their new dark orange environment.

A mechanical jolt announced the incoming connectors, and Targh only winced slightly as the row of eight lengthy probes shot into the corresponding sockets along his spine. Near instantly his senses were overwhelmed by input. From the numb, nothingness of the pod, to being intimately aware of every single atom interacting with the surface of the ship. The complicated series of sensors throughout the ship fed their output directly into Targh, and he let out a gasp of pleasure as his vision became that of the multitude of visual sensors that covered the exterior as well as the interior of the Punisher.
scissorkitty
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Best Supporting Character, I'd like to nominate MART from Smee's Trade Windows. I miss Firefly... sniff!

Smile
TruePurple
Citizen

Topics: 8

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For best DP I would like to nominate trade windows, chapter 3 & 4.
scissorkitty
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for Best SG, I have to go with Magician's Touch by CrunchyFrog. It's hugely popular, densely characterized, very detailed in world and plot, and... even better.. ILLUSTRATED by the Frog herself! Very cool!
Smee
Revered IFian

Topics: 166

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awwwww, look at these nominations. *claps excitedly* Thanks folks. Very Happy

And Skitty, Mart's debut chapter is on its way. Wink
scissorkitty
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smee- yay! I know!! Smile
DeadManWalking
Duke of the Mostly Dead

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, So since there are categories with NOTHING IN THEM, i figure i may have to nominate them myself. Note that this does not mean i am choosing stories just to put stuff in there; just that i am now forced to abandon my lazy ways and actually look around for stories to nominate.

anyways, I'll nominate Uriel by Alegria for Best Style/Most Original, mainly because of two things. First, we don't often see a detective story in IF, and i quite like those. Secondly, he paints his scenes with a stark and brutal brush, which i also like.

And I'll also nominate American Vampire by Kalanna Rai for best plot. Mainly because of the huge amount of relief within me that someone's written a vampire story without a love interest. Very Happy Anyways, seriously, i enjoy the way things have gone so far.
Reiso
Respected Citizen

Topics: 17

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the promotion of Sector 17 to Skiffi via SGOTM victory, it should probably be removed as a candidate for best Non-SGOTM winner.

Sad

Sector 17 -- Rebuilding... ... ...

In the desert
I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
Who, squatting upon the ground,
Held his heart in his hands,
And ate of it.
I said, "Is it good, friend?"
"It is bitter--bitter," he answered;
"But I like it
Because it is bitter
And because it is my heart."  -- Stephen Crane
The White Blacksmith
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, can I nominate it for Best Storygame?

Tea Cures All.
DeadManWalking
Duke of the Mostly Dead

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well a couple simultaneous things are happening at once, so i'm outlining them here. (For my benefit as well as yours) I will be simultaneously moving Sector 17, adding a Best Critic section which i somehow missed, and closing the other subjects. I'll see if i can keep the best critic section open to nominations for a bit longer, as i realize that there's nothing there right now.
DeadManWalking
Duke of the Mostly Dead

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i've been given special permission to extend Best Critic, but only until this Wednesday. So if you want to nominate, please do so quickly.
TruePurple
Citizen

Topics: 8

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you nominate in other categories till then?

What happens to categories that have only one nomination, they automatically win?
DeadManWalking
Duke of the Mostly Dead

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes all other categories are closed and genres with less than two nominations go on to the next round. Which is crossgenre.

Except for Best Non-SGOTM which has no nominations at all.

Speaking of polls, i just put them up.

Best Storygame
Best Character
Best Supporting Character
Best DP

American Vampire goes on to the next round in Best Plot
Trade Windows goes on in Best Description
Uriel goes on in Most Original
And Skiffy has no nomination for Best Non-SGOTM. :-(

Congrats to Rai, Smee, and Leggie for being one step closer to an IFy, and to Crunchyfrog and Reiso for being nominated.
Alegria
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear. It would appear that all 3 of the SGs I have posted since coming back to IF have been nominated, and will be voted on (unless I am mistaken) for the same category. Huh...

-Friedrich Dürrenmatt

DeadManWalking
Duke of the Mostly Dead

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well since i didn't get any nominations for Best Critic, despite the deadline being up a week ago, i guess we won't be submitting anyone for that category.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The 2009 IFYs All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: