Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
QuEasy again! Closed.

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 340

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: QuEasy again! Closed. Reply with quote

It's about time for another competition I think, and as I'm pressed for time these days, it's gonna be the third patented Chinaren QuEasy competition!

This is a city sponsored competition. The prize will be paid by the treasury, assuming we can hold Lordy down long enough to wrest the key away from him.

Enough babbling already! How do I play?

All you have to do is a paragraph or maybe two, describing a simple event. It's free to enter, so all you have to do is post below!

When I deem there is enough entries, or enough time has elapsed, I'll put it to the vote.

The competition is to see who can come up with the most descriptive and vivid description!

Easy! (and hopefully quick).

So, the third ever patented Chinaren QuEasy comp is:

Someone waking up!

You don't have to write any background, who's waking up, or what happens next, just the act of awakening. I'll leave the details to you!

This competition has really had some high quality entries, so let's keep them coming!

Winner will get 501 Fables from the Treasury. ...and an award in their honors, which will also be displayed in Chinaren Hall.

Please make sure you read the rules below.

Roolz.

Only one entry per author please.

Whilst there is no word limit as such, remember this is supposed to be QUICK and EASY! If I can't read it in about a minute (bearing in mind I'm a very fast reader) it's probably too long.

The competition is about the best, most vivid description, as well as the most imaginative idea, so whilst a one word entry is still valid, it's unlikely to be the most memorable.

Entries with spelling or grammar that is not up to an acceptable standard is liable to be removed with no notice.

Chinaren may disqualify entrants he deems unfit at his whim, 'cos he's like that.

In case of dispute, Chinaren's decision is final.

Rules may change with no notice, or be added to in the future.

Last edited by Chinaren on Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:13 am; edited 2 times in total
Aponi
Resident

Topics: 1

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pain like needles pressed into her skin. Brightness shone through her eyelids, prodding her mind awake, but she kept her eyes closed, considering.
She should be dead, Perdy thought. The last thing she remembered was sinking into the snowdrift, so soft and warm, and the color slowly leaching from her dreaming world.
Warm again, her mind had snapped back to its usual acuity. Last night should have guaranteed her death. Wherever she was, she was no longer in a snowdrift. Which meant someone had found her.
Before she opened her eyes, she took a deep breath - the smell of the place she was in was acrid from a fire, complicated with spices and herbs, and warm with the smell of another human.
She opened her eyes and he smiled at her, saying something. She squinted, but her vision was still too blurry to read his lips. He seemed friendly enough, but in her world she had seen many enemies, and not yet a friend.
NeverNeverGirl
Honored Citizen

Topics: 68

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emerge from my slumbers with the hazy mind of the just woken. I lay with eyes closed, slightly cold yet comfortable – not yet wanting to interupt the relaxed, sunken feeling of the body at complete rest. Slowly I open them, the dark of my room is solid, there are no soft gauzy curtains admiting the fresh morning light, my eyes haven’t yet adjusted so that I may discern the room around me.

My environment takes on the unfamiliar ‘where am i?’ of first thing in the morning. I peer out into the darkness, turning my head lazily, still unprepared to submit to the world of awake.

A tingling betrays an itching on the end of my nose which, as much as I try, refuses to be ignored and I scratch it languidly, my sleepy limb heavy and my efforts abating the bother momentarily.

I hear the dull thud thuding of someone knocking on my door downstairs, I do not resist the temptation to ignore the soul who summons my presence. Thud, thud, thud... the knocks are irregularly spaced and for a moment i drift back into a peaceful slumber, dreaming of elephants plodding along.

I emerge from the depths once again as the thudding continues, the loser in a battle of determination.

Streching I reach up, my hand banging into a hard something just above me. I sit up quickly, the effort futile smacking my head against the same, just centimetres from where I lay.

I feel along the surface above me, it seems to strech for a short distance before meeting another downward edge. I trail my fingertips along it towards my head, the surface feels wooden though polished.

Pushing upwards I try to remove the barrier above and around me, it doesnt budge. I can’t get out from under it no matter how hard I try, my attempts at escape are futile.

My head grows lighter with the exertions, all parts of me growing heavy once again and I am pulled away into the blissful oblivion of unending sleep.
Mephistopheles
Respected Citizen

Topics: 16

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eyes open slowly, a breath of air is drawn in the dawn of another day. Happiness floods the mind as the realization that life continues hits. Sitting up, a smile crosses the face, the heart races. It wasn't a dream! His love is beside him, her chest rising and falling slowly with her every breath. Such rapture fills his heart as he gazes at her beautiful features. He realizes how lucky he is to awaken with someone that he loves beside him. There are too many in the world that rise unhappy and alone. He whispers the same silent thanks that he does every morning for this small blessing that has come into his life.

eminem

without the threat of death,
there is no reason to live at all

marilyn manson
Bookwizard
Respected Citizen

Topics: 33

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The man slowly got up and wiped the blear from his eyes. Why did he feel so miserable, why did he seem to hate everyone so much? Everything seemed horrible at this moment, he couldn't even remember who he was. He slowly went back to sleep, and then woke with a start again, "arrrrg" he erupted, this was going to be a bad morning. Everything turned around him, and everything again seemed horrible and miserable. Suddenly he felt a great hatred to everyone, and felt that he should destroy the whole world. He slowly painstakingly got up and drunkenly wobbled around the big room he found himself in, then fell upon the bed once more. "OOOOOHRE" he mooned again, this was going to be a bad bad morning. Several men walked into the room at this point, and asked him some stupid question about some place called iwak, and in his mood he said, "just kill them all" and the men left satisfied. After a moment the man got up once more, despising the world, and feeling as if the world despised him. After about 15 minutes of smashing into walls and moaning, he got to a mirror and stared for a second, then realized he was Gorge Bush.

D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Topics: 103

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awakening, she immediately realized that her life had expired. Before her sprawled a vast terrain of billowing clouds; they surrounded her consciousness, roiling in majestic turbulence; they bulged, surged mightily like the beards of Zeus, and ebbed as the foam of a crashing sea. The sun tinted these clouds orange and red, transforming them into a swirling, swelling ring of fire that encircled her awareness. The encroaching flames gradually softened their hues. They engendered a sphere of carnation, an eddy of petals, and she recognized their long-lost soft caress, for it was the same womblike embrace which had given her birth.
Kalanna Rai
Assassin for Hire

Topics: 173

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The words on the page danced and flitted before her wide eyes, book nearly slipping from her benumbed grasp. It had all been a fiction, a malicious fairy-tale spun by the Founders. Yet on these mildewy pages, she'd found the truth and the revelation had opened her eyes as none before it ever had. Closing the book with a snap, she laid it aside, chin held high for the first time in her life. There was a burning in her soul, a brilliance and determination, a purpose where there had only been a void. The key had been fitted in her mental lock, her body shocked to reality. She was awake to the truth...there would be no putting her back to sleep now.

"Music makes you braver."
The Dark
Citizen

Topics: 15

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black. Pure black.

Suffocating, all encompassing, complete dark.

Were her eyes open? She was unable to tell.

She held her hand in front of her face, but though she knew it was there, she coudn't see it.

Next she tried to move, to sit up, but her freedom was restricted. Something wooden above her head.

She moved again, but the same restrictions applied all around her. She was trapped! Where had she awoken?

Then she remembered. The fall, the hospital, and finally... nothing.

She had died she realised. They had buried her.

Yet somehow, inexplicably, she had risen. As the air began to run out in her coffin, she laughed. Fate had a grim sense of humour indeed.

Her breaths grew desperate, shallower, faster, until they finally stopped, and she returned once more to her eternal rest.
Lilith
Honored Citizen

Topics: 82

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something in her dark subconscious stirred, teasing, tickling within the depths of her mind, pulling her from the warm comfort of nothing into the cold harsh reality that was her life. She thought nothing for a moment and opened her eyes into slits, the bright lights of the room striking her pupils, sending a message to her sleeping brain that day was indeed here and she needed to get moving.

But something was stuck; the message faded out somewhere along the way, she wasn't ready to get up just yet. She closed her eyes and sunk back down, deeper into the warm dark comforts of her mind. Until the noise. A loud knocking sounded on the wall, the thuds echoing all the way into that dark place again, forcing her to open her eyes once more, the noise and the sound forcing yet another message, this time stronger, faster.

She began to rise from the bedclothes, as the message struck home and her weary mind started it's whirring once more. "I'm up already, Mom! Would you knock of the pounding on the walls, damn it?"

© 2007-2019 Lilith
sir wax
Citizen

Topics: 9

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope its not too long

The music blares waking him up. Eyes barely visible, he turned the radio down and hit the snooze... then drifted back to sleep. His persistent insomnia kept him up all night.

The music lightly wakes him up this time. Eyes still hurting and half closed he breathes in the musty air of his apartment. He notices the time, 9:15am. "Holy crap, i'm gonna be late."

Scrambling out of his clothes and into the shower, he makeshifts his dandruff shampoo as an all-in-one body wash. The music from the alarm clock gives him some good motivation. He's out and in his new clothes in a matter of minutes, they cling to his wet body as he rubs on his deodorant. He grabs a can of coffee on his way out the door. Comes back in and grabs his shoes and leaves again.

The morning traffic report is a fairly good one, he might make it there in time for the boss not to notice. He takes a sip of the can, as he swirls the Kona Coffee in his mouth, he starts to wake up a bit more. He drives effortlessly to the beats of the radio station.

He sits down at work, he made it on time, no worries at all. He exhales as he is finally fully awake. He starts working as he nods his head to the music at work.... then slows down confused... THERE IS NO MUSIC WHERE HE WORKS!!!

HIS EYES BLAST OPEN to an alarm clock reading 9:55, as he realizes he's been dreaming.

"Dammit! I AM late!"

Hope everyone liked it and i hope i didn't take anyones idea, i haven't read everybody elses post.

Last edited by sir wax on Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:38 pm; edited 4 times in total
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's a great lot of entries! Well done everyone!

So now to voting!

Please vote for the entry you think is the most vivid and descriptive. Please read all the entries before you vote and don't just vote 'cos it's your friends' entry. Thank-you!

Let the bloodshed begin!
Very Happy

sir wax
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait... we're able to vote for ourselves?
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. But only if you think yours is best. I apologize if I appear haughty and self-deluded, but I deemed my own entry to be the most vivid and descriptive. I admire Aponi's entry, but in comparison to my own, it wasn't as descriptive*. e.g.

Quote:
He seemed friendly enough

That's an impression, but there lacks description. In any case, Aponi would be my second choice.

Ne's was simply too long and I didn't like the flow of it. Messy's is emotionally appealing, but lacks description. Bookwizard's is a political exaggeration, and though it made me chuckle, also lacks description. Rai's paragraph delineates a metaphorical awakening, but that stuff about the Founders turned me off. I was expecting a description, not an excerpt about a story of deceit. The Dark utilized line spacing to make an impression, but the telegraphic sentences suffocated my imagination; futhermore, his idea was the same as Ne's. As for Lilith's, I felt momentarily repulsed as soon as I read the first sentence:

Quote:
Something in her dark subconscious stirred, teasing, tickling within the depths of her mind, pulling her from the warm comfort of nothing into the cold harsh reality that was her life.

Though there's nothing wrong with the style or the grammar, it felt to me as though this would be the perfect introduction to a teen drama. Nothing wrong with it, but it just didn't personally convince. Yours, sir wax, had a few minor issues with syntax and grammar, coupled with a lack of intense description, which deterred me from voting for you.

Quote:
The music blares waking him up.

Probably needs a comma there.

But I did enjoy your idea.

All this said, I think that the quality of these entries is extraordinary, and that it wasn't easy to make a choice.

Anyway, I didn't need to justify my vote, but I did so anyway. Also, what are you people waiting for? Don't be afraid to vote, even if it is for yourself. Wink

*My opinion, of course.
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually found "Messy's love" to be the most moving. It was well described, without being overly wordy, emotional yet simple.

D, I thought yours was good, but overlly 'flowery'. It was up there though. Smile

Waxy: There's no rule that says you can't vote for yourself* simply because unless I monitor this very carefully, I can't tell who voted for what.

*Except the one that says vote for the one you think best, and that tends to be your own a lot of the time. Wink
NeverNeverGirl
Honored Citizen

Topics: 68

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D's comment is as usual an overly flowery diatribe on the wonder that is D. I think some things are best left kept to yourself.

Get over yourself Pimp D.

And Dark? Get your own plot you poor excuse for a Scream Mask. :p
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
D's comment is as usual an overly flowery diatribe on the wonder that is D. I think some things are best left kept to yourself.

Get over yourself Pimp D

Hey, I would have remained silent, but I felt as though sir wax's question deserved a thorough justification. At least after my explanation, you can now discern that I have a reason for being conceited. Razz

No, but seriously, I did feel as though I was obliged to answer.
Aponi
Resident

Topics: 1

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, right back at you, D. Smile I'm not enamored of my entry - I did just dash it off - and I know it could have been much better.

As for yours, I didn't like the first sentence - it read a bit awkward. And I would think of heaven as a place where all pretense is finally stripped away, revealing the ultimate truth... whatever truth may be. In any case, I'd have used shorter, more powerful words instead of going all flowery.

On the other hand, your last sentence was quite nice.

I liked Messy's, too, but the "beautiful features" left me cold. Sorry. There's a lot of beautiful people - so what makes this one special? That's my only nitpick, though.

Waking up in a coffin was the first plot I thought of, too... both were very nicely done. Sir Wax's was great - it hit a familiar chord. Kalanna Rai had a good concept - a more metaphorical awakening. And the rest were very good too...

Oh well. Prolly nobody really wants a crit. Pretty much this contest brought out the best in everybody and there are some great descriptions in all manner of styles here. Choosing the best may not be possible.
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on people, need some more votes here!
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need a tiebreaker!!
LordoftheNight
Revered IFian

Topics: 41

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tie broken.

A Fronte Praecipitium a Tergo Lupi
Blood Bowl
Scraping the Barrel
A Tale of Four Swords
Passion
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well then! By a clear two votes, I declare Sir Wax the winner of this Queasy!

Well done to all competitors, all the entries were great. I look foward to seeing you on the next run.

In the meantime, Sir Wax will soon gain a new award. Well done Waxy!
sir wax
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woot! *raises the roof* Thanks everybody for the votes. I am deeply in gratitude.

Thank you much. Smile

Sincerely,
SirWaxaLot
Bookwizard
Respected Citizen

Topics: 33

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow... I missed the voting... oh well then, didn't really put any time or thought into this competition, but great job wax, your idea was perfect right down to the lat detail.

Who's work evokes the strongest images?
Aponi's snow.
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Nenners' resurrection.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Messy's love.
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Bookwizards' bush. ;)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
D-Lotus's afterlife.
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Rai's book.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Dark's coffin.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Lilith's lazy.
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
Sir Wax's late.
41%
 41%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 12
Who Voted: Aponi, Chinaren, Crunchyfrog, D-Lotus, Kalanna Rai, Lilith, LordoftheNight, Mephistopheles, NeverNeverGirl, sir wax, Syranore, Traveller

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Vault All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: