Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Musings of an Insane Writer

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Bookwizard
Respected Citizen

Topics: 33

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Musings of an Insane Writer Reply with quote

NOTE: Currently under renovation*

Here is a place that I will be sharing with you the utter and never-ending insanity of my mind. I will be doing this through more or less submitting to you my unedited, and generally unrefined thoughts, ideas, and emotions on just about everything... OK, maybe that's a bit of an overstatement... This is pretty much just going to be a dumping ground for just about anything that pop's into my head or that I decided I should put here. Hopefully for the most part this will prove interesting to... well someone somewhere...maybe.

I will also offer my services as a businessman in addition to being an insane writer here. If you see an idea that you like (presumably for a story) and want to take it home with you, contact me, and for a price you can adopt it. The prices are as follows.

100 Fables - Small Posts

200 Fables - Medium Posts

300 Fables and Beyond - Large Posts

Please Note: Bookwizard retains the right to fluctuate the price of an idea according to it's value to him regardless of it's size.

Additions

1. No Addition
The story idea is highlighted in red here and a "Property of _______" is put next to it. I require you to put "Inspired by Bookwizard" in plain sight somewhere in the credits or the start of the story.

2. + 50 Fables
You can scrap the "Inspired by Bookwizard"

3. + 100 Fables
All hints of the idea you have adopted will mysteriously disappear from my posts, making it completely yours.

4. +100 Fables
I will continue to perfect the idea, maybe even write the first chapter or the prologue for you. Note: For a small payment of 50 fables, at any time I will help you along with the idea in the future.

*Don't worry, I have no idea what that means or implies either!

Last edited by Bookwizard on Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:55 pm; edited 4 times in total
Smee
Revered IFian

Topics: 166

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea, Booky. And I really like that pic.

If someone were to be particularly taken with any of the random ideas you post here, would you be open to them approaching you, and taking the idea for their own?

Happy Insanity Smile
Bookwizard
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm... That never really occurred to me, I suppose I would be willing to allow others to take ideas, for a price of course. Yes that sounds good, if you are interested in "adopting an idea" we will work out terms when you ask... The Main post has been Edited

Last edited by Bookwizard on Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bookwizard
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Story's inspired by songs. (Not that I'm going to tell you what songs they are inspired by)

The boy ran through the city with great speed, the sweat on his brow getting in his eyes and obscuring his vision. He knew what he was doing was just, and great, he knew that his duty was to serve the forgotten bounds of morality, but he would always have doubts... as anyone should. He heard the characteristic pounding of fear behind him and he increased speed, rocketing from one roof to another. He wore all black except for one badge of glory, an elaborate red heart embroidered on the chest. He would make it... humanity was not doomed yet!...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The island was peaceful and relaxing. No one could ever imagine the slightest thing going wrong there, as it basked in what anyone could call true perfection. A perfection only existing though, through those looking at the island in longing. For those who lived there... it was as anything else, they knew that perfection was only an illusion of the mind... no such thing truly existed. This of course was a depressing truth, bringing about the irony of those who live in perceived perfection. Become more miserable then those who create their own illusion....

The sky's opened up before me, ready to be conquered as they only can be. This I know is my destiny... there is nothing else for it, this land hidden to those below is mine. The white clouds flow through the wings of my Flier as a symphony of white, their purity and brilliance bring joy and calm to my deeply troubled heart. The world below, so fraught with evil it was, corruptible and ignorant, all things this glorious empire could never be. I now can be free... forever free.

The joy of but a simple day... a day of sadness, a day of joy, a day of confusion, or a day of pure emotion. I praise the existence of these days, and cherish them as I move through this life I call my own. As many days are no longer as simple as I would like them to be so much. The enemy approaches closer to my town every day and I am needed to help with various preparations. I am told they do horrible things and much of my village is ready to take there own lives, oh what misery! Why must those wonderful simple days of emotion leave me! Why must I be put though this torture, I ask the world in my hopelessness the ultimate questing of Why? The answer... I shall never know.

Last edited by Bookwizard on Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Black Hawk
Citizen

Topics: 6

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awsome Bookwizard I've been doing the same thing with a journal I got as a Confirmation gift earlier this year

-Will Rodgers

Michael Crichton one of the greatest writers of his time 1942-2008 rest in peace
Bookwizard
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a "race" of beings I made for another site a while back. I thought that what I came up with was pretty cool, so now you have the chance to tell me it's not! Wink

Sages

Common Names: Wise Ones, Thinkers, Casslians (their name of old, meaning "those who seek understanding"). There are many different offensive terms for the Sages throughout the universe mostly targeting the fact that they are wiser or smarter then other peoples, which is not a liked attribute, and all of which are pointless and irreverent.

Groups: Though the Sages are regarded as wise they have many bounding traditions and fanatics that they have followed through the ages, one of which is the great families of old. The Sages are obsessed with their ancestry to no end and will make sure to know all of their great grandfathers, and great grandmothers, and great great grandfathers and grandmothers, and great great great grandfathers and... Well you get the point. There are five prominent families among the sages, and they are as follows.

The Philoson Family - This is the family that is most devoted to "wisdom" and a greater understanding of the more philosophical side of the universe. They will spend most of their lives contemplating the fact that there might be no need to contemplate at all. Or if the universe exists for that matter! Or even if existence itself is an illusion, or maybe... well again... you get the point. Identified by their blue eyes.

The Tarrisian Family - A family of mystics and magic, the Tarrisian Family seeks the spiritual nature of the universe and what forces make it tick. They keep to themselves only slightly less then the Philoson Family and they are even more absent minded. Identified by their gray eyes.

The Seintanian Family- The family among the sages that seeks the mathematical and scientific functions of the universe. Full of practical thinkers and fanatical mathematicians who will spend day’s explaining yet another formula that can prove/disprove existence. The most intrusive and meddling of the families, as well as the most competitive. Identified by their green eyes.

The Kolegan Family - The ones who seek knowledge, the Kolegan family has possibly assembled one of the largest "libraries" in the universe. Each of them has eternally taken vows to serve the family's quest of gaining all knowledge that might be gathered. The only family among the sages to not fully care about family alliances and ties, they remain neutral in many affairs that concern smaller things that do not concern their grand quest. Identified by their brown eyes.

The Valanti Family - The most aggressive of the families, the Valanti are the only sages to use weapons in open combat. They believe in a greater good, and devout there lives to protecting and better understanding this greater good. Many of the families have shunned them, but they will leave the other families alone as long as they themselves are left alone. If not, they will get much more involved in what they would call "pointless squabbling current affairs". Identified by their red eyes.

Other smaller families:

Trinite Family - The smallest of all the families of the sages, the Trinite are obsessed with healing. They are not interested in the creation of new things but simply restoring that which has been destroyed. They have since learned a process known only to them, mostly called "healing" by outsiders, which allows members of this family to restore small objects with their mind. The more of the Trinite family you have that can heal, the larger the object the can be healed. They split off from the Philoson Family very early in its history, also the most respected of the families that are not of the main five. Identified by their turquoise eyes.

Cahandi Family - A small family that also broke off of the Philosen family many thousands of years ago. They believe the same things and share the same quests, but they put more emphasis on the power of the mind to create. Identifeid by there darker blue eyes (not that much diffrent then the eyes of the Philoson Family, it takes a great effort to see the difference).

Qintos Family - A family that has always been around but never really grown, they focus on understanding the power of destruction. Identified by their black eyes.

Gerhand Family - Also a very old family that focuses on the answer to life the universe and everything, now their main quest is to find the ultimate question, seeing as the answer has been calculated. (They were very disappointed that they did not beat Deep Thought, if they had been given just one more week...) Identified by their greenish yellow eyes.

Olidi Family - A family that broke off of the Valanti surprisingly, devoted to bringing and understanding peace. Identified by their light pink eyes.

Andallisa Family - Another small ancient family dedicated to understanding the nature of beauty. Identified by their golden eyes (quite the sight to see).

Reantor Family - No one really knows what the family of Reantor does, many reside within their own small closed off planet, it is said that no one will ever know what goes on there, and it is also said that no one will ever care. Identified by their purple eyes.

Lifespan: The Sages live to a variation of ages, their death is decided by a special cortex within their brain that calculates when their final life purpose has been completed. The oldest known sage was Karean Karak of the Kolegan family, who was said to have lived to exactly 10,000 years. To live to this age is extremely rare, and is only probable when you are part of a family such as Philosen or Kolegan, who have much more grand (the meaning of which can be interpreted as long) quests. The cortex that is responsible for the deaths of the sages is amply named the IDDTFOYFPC Cortex, or the Instant Death Due To Fulfillment Of Your Final Purpose Cortex.

Adulthood: A sage reaches adulthood when his family decides he has reached adulthood, which can be at any point in his/her life, some families are stricter on this subject then others.

Description: They have a human form, only their ears are much longer and curve in small circles. Their eyes are one of their most striking features, each Sage will have eyes with the color of his/her respective family that resonate with the power of wisdom and knowledge. It is said simply looking into the eyes of a sage can bring inspiration of the highest degree. Many of their expressions are also shown through their eyes, a sage will rarely smile or frown, but you can certainly tell when the are happy and sad simply by looking into their eyes. Hair color ranges very broadly, sometimes its black, other times ultraviolet, and sometimes gerglegon. Otherwise they are commonly from about 5 feet to about 10.

Typical Personality: There is about two word's that can properly describe the overall personality of all Sages, and those are thoughtful and absent-minded, they are constantly thinking and not really doing much else besides that. Many times well having a conversation with a Sage he will listen intently, make many gestures that he understands and to go on. Then when asked what he/she thinks about Jegal Thegans new bill suggjested to inter-galactic parliament he will say something along the lines of "hmmmm... very interesting, does buety really exist or is it really a manifestation of a collective conscious. What do you think on the matter". When told by an annoyed associate that he wants his question answered form his own one-sided conversation that has been going on for the last 3 hours, the most likely response would be "You have been talking?". They typically view other races as childish with some exceptions, for it is also their view that that opinion and ideas of all have value to some extent. Otherwise they don't pay much attention to others, content to attempt to understand diffrent parts of the universe and talk about family ancestry amongst themselves.

Typical Territory: The Sages live in the solar system of Widroa, which has 7 planets. They all originated from the smallest of these planets called Thercatar, now only inhabited by the Philosen family. All the other planets are solid and circle around the star of Widroa at about the same length. Amazingly none of them have crashed into each other...yet. Each of the planets have their own respective conditions which the different families have adapted to, but generally the Sages can bee seen to do better in cold weather.

Diet: The sages have a very limited diet of food in which they will eat. They have the capability to eat an abundance of things but are very picky in which of those wide range of things they will actually eat. Their main diet consists mainly of something known as the Toclot fruit, that amazingly enough grows naturally on all the Widroa planets but one. Sages will have this fruit during their one main meal of the day (they will have snacks in between this main meal, but there are no other major eating times then mid day). Then they will commonly have Liccar Weed with this, which is both a sweet and salty green stalk. The most revered and cherished food among the sages is the Delicca Leaf which is said to be one the most delicious foods in their galaxy. The Delicca Leaf is very rare, for the tree that grows them takes 500 years to manifest, and dies after about three crops of the leaves.

Mating: The Sages will commonly mate well very young, and do not see it as a large affair. The idea of marriage is very loose in the culture of the sages, and it almost does not exist. Understanding the universe is always first before desires and even other sages. Mating between a sage and another race is almost completly unknown, a sage would most likely be shunned if such a thing ever happened.

Magic: The Sages have abilities of which they can wield that could be tied in to magic by some more simpler races. Though in reality they have no need to harness the realms of magic, and so they do not.

Powers: There are many diffrent "powers" that a sage might possess, and there is an incredibly wide range of them. Each Sage does not have a specific power, but rather each one will have powers that develop over time to meet their conditions. Lets say that one sage devoted his life to better understanding the thoughts and actions of other races. Soon over about 200 years of doing this he will develop the ability to hear thoughts. Another Sage might set out to gather information about the stars, many years later he might find that he starts to know information and the names of certain stars before he researches them. The list goes on, but it must be understood that many of these powers develop over time and are generally more weak then they might at first sound. Warning: It is very rude to ask a Sage what his power is, if you wish to remain on good terms do not do it.

Forms: None

Weaknesses: The Sages are very anti-social, ad will stay away from many other races, and observe them from afar without actually conferring with them. As a result they are not really allies with anyone. Though there are plenty of races that hate them for various reasons, mainly because they keep their knowledge to themselves. Otherwise they are very slow psychically, and so even if they are part of the Valanti Family they are horrible with weapons. They are also known to have very poor hearing and be very fragile in general.

History: The Sages have went through a lot, they are arguably one of the oldest of the races in the universe. There are very few "wars" so to speak within the history of the sages, a few feuds between families that death was seen. Besides this... nothing, for war is against the Sages nature. Most of the history that is recorded by some of the Sages of their own race is very un-eventful and not the most interesting thing to read in the world. It is all things that they are constantly discovering about the universe that's interesting!

Originated from Hitchhikers Galaxy

NOTE: Looking back on this I realize it's riddled with annoying errors, if you look past them though I still think it sends up being a pretty cool race.

Last edited by Bookwizard on Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bookwizard
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prepare yourselves, I am now going to assault you with the ideas of Panarchy! A fascinating new style of government that has been filling my thoughts lately.

"Panarchy is a conceptual term first coined by the Belgian botanist and economist Paul Emile de Puydt in 1860, referring to a specific form of governance that would encompass all others"

"The individual's right to choose any form of government without being forced to move from their current locale."

"An inclusive, multilateral system in which all parties may participate meaningfully."

*Please note I do not completely agree with all the definitions supplied above as they were mainly installed in this post to help the reader better understand the theory in other words besides my own jumbled and surly massively flawed statements. For more information please go HERE

OK, my thoughts here will be random, and I may not write a great deal now, If that is the case I will add to these musings later.

One of the main problems that I run into with this system is one that may not at first occur to you , and that problem is "advancement". How can new ideas come into play when all existing mentalities and ideas are already satisfied?

Society/Government --------------------> No "Offense" or "Competition" ----------------> No Advance
No Society/ Government --------------------> "Offense" and "Competition" ------------------------> Advance/ (Deceit?)

... Ok that did not make much sense, and is excessively simple right, let me try another.

Monarchy -----------------------> Democrat* -----------------------> Only Monarchists
Democracy ------------------------->Monarchist** ----------------------> Only Democrats

*Moves to Democracy
**Moves to Monarchy

... So now you see that in a Panarchy everyone is happy (satisfied), all ideas are encompassed. BUT... (I bet you saw that coming) is having everyone's ideas satisfied a good thing? We all know that some of the most brilliant new styles of thinking, governments, social structures and so on have come from the tight arms of oppression. So therefor the restriction of ideas is just as important as satisfying these same ideas. (Random Thought: Panarchy as a "Final Government" the end of a long evolutionary process of governments and social order.)

Thinking further to other ways of conceiving new ideas, the word Capitalism came from the sky and struck me on the head. As Capitalism is a driving idea behind Panarchy (virtually taking it out of the economy and flinging it into politics) it must be important to mention it right? In the staple laizze fair capitalistic paradise corporations will dominate the land, and their apparent "competition" will lead to new and wonderful products as well as influxes of wealth. The problem with this is that with competition there comes the follies of human nature: deceit and lies. If you wish to win you have two options, playing fair or well.... not playing fair. In capitalism one is productive and one is counter-productive. This could be the same with Panarchy and could be one of it's major flaws. However, this was not the reason I brought up capitalism. Deceit and lies aside, this competition of governments could indeed lead to new ideas as well as whole new governments, which calms this uncertainty with advancement but does not completely quell it.

OK, that's all for now, feel free to comment and submit your thoughts, if there are to many then I will make a separate thread.

EDIT: From the end point above, I have come to a new understanding of how panarchy would work in practice. Or at least an idealistic model of how it should work. There would be one generally dominant government at any given moment based on the most popular structure that most fit's the time period. Then, as conditions and popular opinion changes, so to does the growth of a new government that reflects those changed opinions. This new government then becomes dominant to reflect the revised opinions of the time. This is obviously a very revised version of a much more complex thought process (I have actually been working on a whole new concept of government based on this idea), so I may add some more ideas and details later to put it in a better light.

Last edited by Bookwizard on Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bookwizard
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Story Ideas!

Fading Away: [the main character is never noticed through the entire book, he attempts to be noticed but fails every time, People just refuse to pay any attention to him. At the end he thinks a bit and realizes he does not exist! Then ceases to be. Interesting idea... if you REALLY think about it, it's hard to wrap your mind around it]

Perfection: Dan stood at the edge of his house looking... waiting. The time was not right his mind repeated in a perpetual blur. His mind did not contemplate why the time was not right, but simply allowed that it was not. After a few seconds Dan stepped forward into his House, well his mind happily sped away with a new phrase "the time is right". "Life is good" Dan's mind began to chime in his head this thought in turn activated a smile. Dan was perfect, he could be nothing else...

"The world has fallen to perfection"

Some feedback would be nice!

Bookwizard
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in a bid to once again become a bit more active I need to actually give this the illusion of being a productive venture. Problem is I have been terribly devoid of ideas as of late... Oh well, I'm sure I can come up with something in the next few seconds... OK, nothings coming so I'm just going to blabber for a moment just to do something.

I'm feeling incredibly Nostalgic at the moment! All of the great memories in this fair city, all the things I have done (not much to be honest), saw, and read! I have been going back and reading many of my old posts, and many of others old posts and I have found something truly amazing. It's like recalling an actual memory! I can see every citizen of this fair city, and remember how I have interacted with them, what they have done and achieved in the past, and even relate that to what they are doing now.

If you have never went back and taken the time to reflect on the history of this city and the history of it you have experienced, then I highly recommend doing so. It's simply spectacular sometimes.

Going back to one of my favorite SG's ever, The Priest by Alegria (who I truly hope will come back to us one day), and reading over it and some of my own additions has possibly made my day. As well as listening to Danse Macabre while I re-discovered many other past happenings on IF. I truly believe that song should play whenever you begin to look around the city for the fist time...

Anyway, in all this blabbering I have decided to post something that has been sitting innocently in my "Writing" file on my computer for quite some time. Looking at it, I may turn it into an SG... or it may sit here forever uncompleted. It really depends on wether I want to continue with The Portal Stone or not... or of course if someone notices it here and requests me to start up and SG.

We all yearn for freedom.

Somewhere in our hearts the need is always there.

We kid ourselves, telling ourselves that what we have is what we want, but it never is.

What we have will never be what we want... we have to find it. Always.

The school was quite, it was dark and rainy outside, little patting sounds slowly consuming the world through their ceaseless white noise. It wasn't exactly peaceful... but it was calming. The boy sat in the hall, his back against the never ending lockers stretching into oblivion.

It had been quite a long day... and the boy was not inclined to put to much thought into the world around him. He was off within his own mind, never-ending stories and whirling thoughts... a world of color, and a world of dark. With the pattering of the rain slowly stretching the world, further and further, until it became unreal.

Voices could faintly be heard from the room directly opposite the boys position, and they too melted into his world... “He’s not doing well... seems distant... never pays attention...very intelligent, but...more discipline might...”. All these things blending together, becoming a pattering in sink with the rain. All was one.

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Vault All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: