Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
An Attempt at Reviving Slumbering IFians.

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  

DeadManWalking
Duke of the Mostly Dead

Topics: 30

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: An Attempt at Reviving Slumbering IFians. Reply with quote

Well, since we were having all this discussion recently about IF being in a slump, i feel like i should try and contribute some activity. So, as the title says, this is An Attempt at Reviving Slumbering IFians. (And definitely not an attempt at making money.)

Now, I'm new at this whole competition thing, so here goes.

The man strides into the tavern, scanning the dimly-lit room for a likely group.

He rejects the trio of elven soldiers immediately, likewise the hulking orcs in their corner, A quick glance at a druid and a ranger, sitting together at a round table with two ferrets lying entwined between their mugs, brings back a rather unpleasant memory on how sharp pointy sticks can be, even without metal tips.

He strides past the green-cloaked pair and the elven soldiers, taking a seat at a table without removing his long hooded cloak. He starts to wave away a waitress who appears almost magically, but then, noticing a certain downturning of the innkeepers lips and the “idle” fumbling of the large, scaled, half-dragon bouncer with his rather large mace, requests a drink which arrives in a rather dirty glass. He ignores it.

Then, the door of the tavern opens, and the man’s eyes light up.

Who's entering?

Why is the man looking for them?

And what happens afterwards?

Feel free to do with this whatever you wish, inside these restrictions.

No Greek mythological references.
No sudden anachronistic time travelers arriving in a phone booth.
No said time travelers slaughtering people with modern century or later weaponry.
No banana nut bread.
No mention at all of the number seven hundred and thirty three.
Nothing ridiculous, like acid breathing sharks with bug eyes.
Include something Christmasy only as a last extreme.

You get the point.

Let's say an entry fee of 20 fables, and a prize of 100? i may change that once i get an idea of how high it should be.

And i may not be able to answer questions for a few days; Unforeseen events have conspired to possibly force me to shortly be rolling down snow-covered precipices dressed like a cream puff.

Items

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No greek myths. boohoo. I like writing about myths, gods and all that I'll see if I can have the time to enter.
Chinaren
Hallowed IFian

Topics: 340

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A short, bespectacled demon who wishes to sell them a magical lamp.

Well, you did ask, and I happen to be drunk and in a strange state of mind.
The White Blacksmith
Elder

Topics: 15

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A group of Ifians, joking around and going into the Inn for a chat. They seem the perfect prospects for the man, as everyone else in the Inn (other than the Bouncer, who seems to be in with them, the Inkeeper and the waitress) flees at their approach. They are varied in species - from a young mage being kicked by a centaur to a fairy hovering above the group and passing something to a large, mechanised worm. However, when he tries to recruit them, they stare at him in confusion before tryig to give him a guided tour of the strange city he has found himself in.

Tea Cures All.
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who enters?

A spangly jacketed TV quizmaster enters.

Why is he looking for them?

He needs 4 volunteers to represent the tavern in the Realm's annual general knowledge pub quiz tournament, because the tavern's regular team just got eaten by the dragon from one of the other teams.

What happens afterwards?

The reluctant drinkers draw straws to find out who the unlucky volunteers will be...

Where do I pay my fables?
Bookwizard
Respected Citizen

Topics: 33

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The man who has entered the tavern is nothing more then a traveling salesman. All his childhood he had grown up in the same place, had been expected to do the same as his father, become a blacksmith, and had let a very normal life. The only thing that had made his life interesting, and the only thing he could look forward to was to see his fried Dernuk, they would entertain each other with stories of travel and far away lands of their own creation. Hoping desperately that one day maybe even they could travel.

There came a day when the mans father had died, and he had inherited his smithy and small amount of savings. He faced a hard decisions, he knew everything about being a blacksmith, but there was nothing else on earth he would loath to do more then o devout his life to such a trade. It was time to take a step into the unknown the man had thought, so he made plans to sell the smithy, and went to see his friend Dernuk.

He had entertained the fantasy that of course they would both take this step into the unknown together, but as he reached his friends house this hope was of course dashed. Dernuk himself refused to travel, for his father had died the year before and he had already taken over the running and expenses to his fathers small shop. He greeted the man warmly that day, but scorned him for thinking that the two of them could travel, "we both have stable jobs now, we are no longer children, we and can lead a good life, we have no need to take any risks".

So the man left his friend for the exitments of the a life of travel, since then he had seen many different lands he had never dreamed of, earned a good amount of money as a traveling salesman, and meet a great deal of new friends. Though he had never forgotten Dernuk, and always planned to come back and check in on him, see if he had changed his mind and would come away with him to travel. And so here he was, in the town where he had grown up, he had asked around and had found that Dernuk came to the tavern around this time and so he had come to look for him.

When Dernuk entered the dirty tavern the man recognized him immediately, he had changed greatly but the man could never forget those dull brown eyes. Dernuk wore a nit sweater of average cost and seemed as if he were in a state perpetual boredom by the look on his face. He sat in the corner of the tavern and ordered his drink, the man worked up the courage to go over and talk to him. He slowly walked across the rickety tavern floor and sat down at Dernuks table. The man smiled broadly and burst out "Dernuk you haven't changed a bit, hows the shop coming along, how long has it been ten years!"

Dernuk smiled slightly and a bit confusedly "I'm sorry sir" he said "but who are you".

NeverNeverGirl
Honored Citizen

Topics: 68

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeNe and Lilith burst in like a hurricane! They are decked out in cool kit from their trip and are ready to party! They sweep down on their favourite places and the bartender brings them their drinks as he has almost every other day that he can remember. he does not remember time before them and does not wish to see a time after them.

They want liquid and they want manmeat and DAMNED if they aren't going to get it. THey eye the fellow at the bar and he is summoned forward, he kneels before them, stroking the hem of NeNe's skirt with his fingers and ...

Gallant sweeps in from behind and cuts off his head.

'How dare you lay hands upon our Mayoress.' The knight is affronted and kicks aside the head before kneeling at her feet. She smiles affectionatly at him.

'Rise Sir knight. Welcome home.'
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Vault All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: