Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
The Asylum For Story-less Characters - Round 5, fight 2!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  

The Meaning Of Fear
Respected Citizen

Topics: 13

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We most likely will, Leggy. There are still most contestants to go.

And leaving the first pair as the only team is kind of unfair, if you ask me. They'd have it too easy.

As of this moment, the poll is...

Edward: 3
Liathel: 3

Doors to the truth, an SG where a boy is propelled into worlds he is unfamiliar with. He crosses many worlds, and sees many things that force him to throw away his innocence, once, and for all. Fourth Chapter, out for viewing!
Idea master
Magus Extraordinaire

Topics: 46

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liathel barely won, but it was good enough. So Edward has lost...but you never know, he might show up again. He wasn't killed, after all!

Fight four at the canyon! Ratfink McGee VS. Blaze! Ratfink's description of events are as follows:

Ratfink emerged running at full pelt from the trees above the gorge, pulling himself up barely in time to stop himself from plummeting over the edge. As it was, his arms flailed comically in windmills until he collapsed back onto his hunches breathing heavily. He deftly stroked the back of his hand across his forehead then wiped the last traces of sweat away with his sleeve.

Phew, Ratfink exhaled, missing that ferry to the Island almost cost me the lot. Lucky that Ol’ Terence at the fish docks owed me that favour..

He had had to convince the guards that the Administration had known he would be late and they had given him his missive. He’d also had to hot foot it to get to his rendezvous point on time..

Staring down into the gorge it wasn’t long before he could make out movement. The figure below was (he glanced again at his note) Blaze. He looked to be about Ratfink’s own size but seemed to have a sort of weird aura around him, almost shimmering in the air like a haze of heat.

The red outfit and pale complexion were a stark contrast to Ratfinks own swarthy features and attire. Looking down at himself Ratfink took in his own well worn and much faded pinstripe pants, vest mottled with stains and his now yellowing suit shirt – he had slung his trencher over his shoulder when he had began to run and the length of the thing was covered in a layer of muck and the original colour was indistinguishable.

Least you got some style Ratty me boy, he thought to himself. Pulling a deck of playing cards from his pocket and slowly beginning to shuffle them, Ratfink pulled the shadows around him like a cloak and descended down the path towards his opponent.

When he reached the canyon floor Ratfink paused just behind and to the side of Blaze. The youth was muttering distractedly to himself and kept clicking his fingers together, causing sparks to fly in all directions. Blaze’s power didn’t seem anything to write home about – in fact it seemed a bit, nay a lot, useless.
Rat moved up behind him and laying a hand on Blaze’s shoulder removed his shroud of shadows.

Immediately the youth turned, eyes blazing fiercely, insanity glowing from their depths. An inhuman snarl issued forth from his lips and his whole person seemed to glow white hot. Ratfink had barely blinked before a rather large fireball had been summoned from the youths fingertips, taking it all in during that split second between life and death Ratfink noticed the flints attached to Blazes’ fingertips.

Pulling away quickly Rat threw his cards into his opponents face, stepping deftly to one side as they were inhaled by the fireball Ratfink wrapped himself once again in shadows.

Stone the Flamin’ Crows, this kid is all tip and no blade! He beat a quick retreat to the rockface where he could take a moment.

Blaze was glaring angrily around the gorge, eyes shifting from point to point in quick succession, fireballs hurling themselves non-discriminatly from place to place consuming everything they touched.

Ratfink struck on an idea.

Old Son you have got a Good Noggin’ on ya... shall We see then shall We?

Waiting until Blaze was facing in the opposite direction Rat moved from outcrop to outcrop, boulder to boulder, ever closer to his prey. Stretching his trench coat between his hands he paused, once again just behind Blaze, picking his moment.

Jump! Tackle!

Ratfink found he had managed to pinion Blaze to the ground, the youth squirming face down in the dirt, livid and cursing with rage – the fury of a beast trapped.

With the deft hands of a pickpocket Rat removed the flints from the flailing arm and pulled himself and his quarry into Shadow. Pushng backwards further than he had ever dared, into that dark empty nothing. It sucked the oxygen from his lungs and the pressure on his chest was unbearable. Rising the depths that he normally only ever stuck to the fringes of, Ratfink McGee held himself and the youth there until he could no longer stand the pain.

They arose as if drowning fighting free from the briny deep, crying out loud. Rat held his position on Blaze’s back, the youth lay still the only movement his heaving chest, the only sound his gasping.

With eyes devoid of fire, lacked of the oxygen that it so required, quenched of even the dullest spark, his gift extinguished like a hearth wetted – Blaze stared up at a pale Ratfink who had finally remembered to pull out his knife.

‘You Give then Son?’

And if you wish to know why Blaze lost his mind, then just read below!

Practice. Become better. Become the best. That was what he had to do. He had to be capable of creating flames so hot they could melt boulders. His talents were important. They always were. The only things that mattered were practicing his gift...and his new friend.

They'd met in a dream when he slept the first time on this island. His friend had pointed him to a gorge and said that when he could melt the very stone, he was ready. It had unnerved him at the time to be taking orders from a shadow beast, but the information had panned out, and he was lacking a quiet place for meditation.

The second night had borne another dream, showing him his past, what humans had done to him. They'd altered him and other innocents into horrible, twisted defilements of life. Him and his brother had been lucky to live, along with their mentors. And so the second day he had his anger rekindled, and boulders glowed cherry-red.

The third night was what broke him. His friend had returned, showing him that Blitz had made a human friend.

A human!

The traitor!

Blaze used his anger to fuel his power, making boulders glow white-hot, but could get no farther. I need to be able to melt boulders! When I can, I'll be ready for anything!

He was keeping a small belt of sparks around him, so that he couldn't be caught unawares. And while he was consumed with hatred and focusing on melting things, he was not so brainless to stop monitoring the heat signatures of those around him.

A human...nearby... vengeance will be mine, in the name of all those that were destroyed and changed!

Ratfink McGee was looking down into the canyon. "Coo, that's a way down. I don't know what he's doin' in there...Wonder if I should have a look?"

A fireball rapidly grew in size and Ratfink got the idea he should dodge about three seconds before it flew through the space his head had previously occupied. The fireball impacted into a nearby tree and started burning it and the neighboring trees.

"Guess he wants his privacy, then. I suppose I'll be off now."

And then the flames jumped to the grass and started to move with a purpose towards Ratfink.

"Oy! Get away from me, you lot!" Ratfink backed up towards the canyon onto a ledge of stone where the flames couldn't get him. Or so he thought. The ledge was actually supported by a pillar of stone that reached all the way to the bottom of the canyon. And Blaze was already working on melting the support...

There was a crack. Ratfink had heard many types of cracking noises in his profession of choice, and he was able to easily identify this one as a 'You really should move now' type of noise. But the only places he could go were on fire. He hesitated for a little bit longer than he should have. As a result, the ground fell out from under him, and Ratfink began to plummet nearly half a mile straight down.

How did I wind up in this mess, I wonder? If I time it right, I might survive still, but how do I deal with that boy?

Blaze watched with grim satisfaction as the stone turned over and over and Ratfink fell under it. The previously-supporting pillar landed atop it, and Blaze looked at the point where he'd focused his attack. The stone had been blasted clean through. He'd finally melted stone. I'm ready...for what?

The question answered itself as he saw Ratfink pull himself out of the shadows. Ah, I know what it means. I'm ready for him.

Ratfink coughed a few times to get the dust out of his lungs, and saw Blaze approaching. He could hear Blaze say something, but couldn't make it out. "Speak up boy, I've still got dust in me ears."

Blaze did just that. "I said, as a representative of all life that has been twisted and depraved by humanity, I now execute you for your crimes!"

Ratfink, if it was possible, turned even paler. "Oy! What did I ever do to you?!"

That phrase cut Blaze to the core.

Oy! What did I ever do to you?!

It undid the hate.

Oy!

It made his concentration...slip.

And all the carefully-compressed fireballs he wore around his waist went up. There was no time to stop it from happening, Ratfink was cremated. But Blaze kept thinking.

I...I was thinking of them as all being the same. Not all humans are responsible for what happened to me...I shouldn't be just a tool of unthinking hatred...I should focus it against those truly responsible. And I know where they reside: Not here. So I have to get off. And to get off, I have to win...

Blaze looked at where Ratfink had been standing, and noted the pile of ashes.

One down, who knows how many to go?

Well, it appears that we've got another few battle-ready people for you lot! And yes, I said Ratfink would be disqualified. I had, however, forgotten that the person controlling Ratfink would not be able to reach a compy for some time. So some concessions were made, but only the once! So now, if you lot will please vote...once I tame a poll to help us!

...No plans yet.
The Meaning Of Fear
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch! I feel sorry for ol' McGee. He was well written, too.

Doors to the truth, an SG where a boy is propelled into worlds he is unfamiliar with. He crosses many worlds, and sees many things that force him to throw away his innocence, once, and for all. Fourth Chapter, out for viewing!
The White Blacksmith
Elder

Topics: 15

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. We just all love spontaneous explosions too much.

Tea Cures All.
Idea master
Magus Extraordinaire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize. My life has been rather hectic as of late.

So! Ratfink was turned to ash. Sorry, Ratfink! But now, on to the final match of round 1.

Fight 5! Rathier the gem mage VS. Liane in the forest! Rathier's version of events are as follows:

Rathier wasn't sure why he'd decided to come to this island. The chance for finding any gems at all here was very low. Then again, this place was a mid-way point between worlds. If what he was looking for wasn't here, then he'd be able to go somewhere else to find it.

Rathier kept trudging through the forest, hoping to find at least something interesting. If not, then he'd go towards the Asylum itself later.

There was a snapping noise behind him, the sound of a twig breaking. Rathier turned around, his right hand already going for a gem, and his left raising to point at whatever was behind him.

A figure dropped from the trees, one that was armored and had a blue cape. The figure landed on the forest floor and then stood up, looking at Rathier with green eyes. Rathier spared a glance at the gem he'd managed to pick out of his robes and noted with some disdain that it was not an emerald, but a ruby. This could get dangerous real fast.

Rathier looked back at the figure, noting now that it was female and roughly the same height as himself, with white-blonde hair and purple eyes.

Wait. Purple? Weren't they green a second ago? This could be the result of many things, but not all of them would be pleasant for him. "Who are you?" Rathier queried.

The figure bowed slightly. "Liane. And you?"

Rathier noted the pouch around her neck when she bowed. Carefully, his left hand made its way to his Idearium crystal that he'd been given. "I'm Rathier," he said moments before his hand contacted his crystal. And now for a simple spell. Like call to like, gem call to gem...

The pouch around Liane's neck glowed bright blue. Rathier grinned. "You're a contestant, aren't you? Well, if I'm to get anywhere in this tournament...you'll have to go."

Laine's eyes widened and Rathier raised the ruby high, commanding the power contained therein to leave. And leave it did, in the form of a fireball going right at Liane!

Liane's eyes widened and went from purple to green. Somehow possessing more athletic skill than she did a moment ago, Liane jumped backwards, out of range of the fireball. Rathier was already looking for another sort of gem when he heard a buzzing sound. Two arrows had implanted themselves in his right shoulder, causing the ruby to be jostled around quite a bit. Carefully, Rathier put the gem back in the pouch, and used both hands to find the gems he needed, keeping an eye on the trees.

Eventually he found a diamond and a topaz, which would have to do for now. Rathier raised the diamond high and called to the power contained therein...

Liane jumped from the trees, her eyes a muddy brown now. She seemed fixated on the gems and was coming even closer...

And then she ran smack into a wall of ice, knocking herself out cold. Rathier smiled at his handiwork before dropping the diamond with a scream. It had suddenly grown too hot to hold on to! Rathier watched as the diamond turned into a shiny, goopy puddle, and sank into the forest floor.

I used up the power it held...it returns from whence it came...and yet I've still got a problem here! Maybe, if I use that gem...

Rathier pulled out a dark black gem and held it up, intoning a spell of such power that the trees themselves shuddered.

Oh lords of the dead, hear me and answer...this one is tormented by spirits not under her control. Please remove them, and let her live her own life...

The moment the spell was finished, the dark gem melted away as well. Rathier went over to the knocked-out girl and removed the pouch from around her neck and went onwards, looking to replace his gems. Before he got ten feet, the girl moaned. Liane then asked with horror in her voice, "They're gone. All three are gone. What did you do to me?!"

Rathier stopped for a second, and then sighed. "I set you free."

Well, it looks like Rathier successfully removed his opponent's capacity for battle. And if you'd like their side of the story, read on!

Liane cautiously made her way through the trees occasionally stumbling over tree roots. It would have been rather peaceful had her sisters not been constantly bickering with each other.
The mist that surrounded the forest swirled around her, obscuring her vision and causing her to catch her foot on a protruding rock, sending her tumbling to the mossy leaf covered ground. She lay there, eyes closed, using the few seconds of her horizontal position to try and gather her thoughts.

Shut up, Liane said heavily. Please just shut up.

Excuse me? Karakel replied furiously. We’ve been wandering around this island for five days. You’d think we could have done something by now.

Or at least seen someone else, Ria commented quietly. It’s been awfully quiet…
Liane frowned. Ria was right. She knew there were at least five other people on this island, but the fact that she hadn’t seen anyone was a little worrying. With that thought, a slight crackle sounded to her left, like someone had stepped on a dry leaf.

Silently, she sat up. Neve, what do you see?

Her sister stirred, and she felt her eyes turning bright green as Neve took control of her body. After a couple seconds of silent scrutinizing, the reply came. A man, surrounded by a kind of aura I’ve never seen before. Another second of silence as Neve pinpointed his position. He is off to our left, behind a tree, just out of our line of sight.

Liane felt Karakel growing restless, anxious to kill. She sternly silenced her bloodthirsty sister, saying Perhaps he doesn’t even know we’re here.

Ria snorted. Oh, he knows alright, doesn’t he, Neve?

In all probability Liane, he does. I would suggest leaving now. He has a powerful stench of magic about him. Neve returned control to Liane, who shuddered as her eyes returned to normal purple.

Hoping the man really did not know she was there, Liane slowly stood up, making sure to leave her back facing the spot Neve had mentioned. As she stepped forward, there was a bright green flash in the corner of her eye. She froze, but when no flash followed the first, continued to walk forward, only to find herself unable to move either leg. Hand leaping to her dagger, she glanced down, startled. Twining around her legs and growing higher were vines, tethering her to the ground. Letting out a wild curse, Liane whipped out her dagger and began hacking at the vines.

“Desist,” a low voice sounded behind her. Liane yanked her head around, eyes narrowing as she saw her attacker. A middle-aged man, dressed in long, flowing robes covered with strange symbols Liane recognized. Around his waist was a belt with innumerable pockets, all glowing slightly different colors.

A gem mage… murmured Ria. Interesting. Liane ignored her sister, instead concentrating on the gem the man held in his hand, a rather large emerald. Ria also noted this. Look at the size of that… imagine what that could be worth!

He’s using that emerald to control the plants. Neve quickly overrode her sister’s greedy thoughts.

“I,” continued the man, “am Rathier, all powerful gem mage and soon to be victor of this tournament. But first,” he grinned. “I need to get rid of everyone else.”
The plants around her legs tightened, and shot up even higher with the intent of enveloping her entirely. Liane felt Karakel try to take over, only managing to quell her with difficulty. As this internal struggle went on, the vines continued to climb up to her shoulders.

Bloody hell, Liane. Move over!

The man, already gloating over this absurdly easy victory, watched the girl struggle fruitlessly with the vines. As he watched, the girl shuddered slightly, then froze, eyes closed. The plants continued growing over her now motionless body, though she made no attempt to stop them. Slightly confused, he stepped forward. She made no move. There, hanging around her neck, was a small pouch, undoubtedly holding her crystal and letter. He hesitated before reaching out to grab it- instead replacing the emerald back in its pouch and drawing out a large ruby. The plants stopped moving, and a small fireball appeared to hover next to his hand, ready to be thrown at the girl should she make any sudden movements.

Satisfied, he slowly reached out his free hand to grab the pouch. Suddenly, the girl’s eyelids snapped open, revealing eyes of pure silver. Before he had a chance to react, the girl had ripped the hand holding her dagger free from the entwining plants.

The blade whipped through the air, slicing open his hand before thunking into the tree trunk behind him. The man cried out in pain and surprise, dropping the ruby he had been clutching. The fireball that had been hovering immediately vanished, and the man hurriedly knelt, frantically patting the ground to find his lost gem. After a few seconds, he located it and grasped it in his uninjured hand, calling forth a dozen fireballs to strike at the spot where the girl stood--- had stood. Now there was only mist, and a tangle of vines.

Liane felt Karakel’s fierce joy at being in control of her body again, and it unnerved her. The speed and ease with which she had torn those vines with astounded Liane, who had rarely seen such a display of strength from her oldest sister. While the man had looked for his fallen gem, she had been able to regain control and dive behind a tree and out of sight. Karakel was putting up a huge fight at having been repressed once again, and Liane was just barely able to keep her at bay. Grimacing slightly from the effort, she poked her head out from behind the tree to watch the man. Upon noticing her disappearance, he had stood stock still, most likely waiting for any small sound to give her away. She pulled her head back behind the tree and considered her options.

He’s going to attack again no matter what, Ria reasoned. Why not attack first?

Yes! Karakel agreed. You have the advantage of surprise; take it while you still have the chance.
Liane knew her older sisters spoke truthfully, but how to attack… Arrow would be best, don’t you think Neve?

I thought you’d never ask.

She felt Neve take control, eyes returning to a bright green. Silently, swiftly, she reached for her bow and an arrow, knocking it but not drawing it tight just yet. She concentrated, and the arrow burst into green flame with a sharp hiss. Hearing this, the man whirled around and sent two fireballs flying towards Liane’s tree, only to hear a loud “twang” of an arrow being fired. Liane dropped to the floor, fireballs passing over her head, and heard a loud yell as Neve’s arrow found its mark. She looked up and saw the man desperately trying to beat out the green flames that spread through his robes, arrow shaft protruding from his shoulder. As he hopped around wildly, Liane crept up behind him, hand on the hilt of her sword. Then with a sudden flourish, the man pulled out two new gems, a topaz and a sapphire. He made a motion, and out of nowhere appeared a towering wave of water that crashed down upon them both. The force of the water pushed Liane to her knees where she struggled to regain her breath, coughing violently. The water disappeared, leaving her soaking and gasping for breath. Taking a deep, shuddering breath, Liane glanced up to see the man standing over her, with a large charred hole around his shoulder. He was scowling, and holding the topaz up with his uninjured hand.

Move! Karakel shouted at her. He’s going to hit us with something big!

Liane stumbled to her feel, glaring at the man furiously. He noticed this, and lowered the gem.
“You could just make this easy for yourself,” he said quietly, tossing the gem from hand to hand. “Just give me your crystal, and I won’t have to kill you.” Silent, Liane shook her head from side to side. The man shrugged. “Have it your way then.”

He raised the topaz again, and a bolt of lightening burst down to strike Liane- but she was already diving out of the way. Another followed the first, though once again striking just behind Liane’s feet as she crashed through the trees. The man followed, though at a much more leisurely pace. The sound of her fleeing stopped, and he laughed- the girl must be hiding somewhere, but she would be easy to find. A trail of trampled plants and cracked branches would lead him right to her.

“Come out, come out where ever you are!” He called mockingly, energy crackling with every step he took. He peered behind trees, sending bolts of lightening off in random directions at any slight noise. “We gem mages are much harder to kill then it seems. That puny arrow of yours? No harm whatsoever.” He spread his arms out wide. “So come on, hit me with your best sh-” His voice petered out with a kind of half-strangled scream. Slowly, in shock, he looked down to see a long, dark blade protruding from his chest. The hand clutching the topaz went limp, falling like the first drop of rain in a downpour. Slowly, ever so slowly, the man’s eyes glazed over in the throes of death, and he fell forward to land face-down in the leaves. Standing over him was a girl, silver eyes glowing with fury.

As her eyes faded from silver to purple, her expression changed from one of anger and triumph to one of revulsion, and even pity. She reached out and grasped the hilt of her sword sticking out of the man’s back, sliding it out with a sharp ‘snick’. She looked at the black, rune-etched blade, and watched the man’s lifeblood sink into it, making it glow with a kind of inner light.

Beautiful… murmured Karakel.

Liane sheathed her sword, and walked back to the place where she had dropped her dagger. Locating it quickly, she picked it up and replaced it in its sheath, before looking in the direction of where the body lay one last time. She turned around and resumed walking into the forest’s depths, the mist swirling and eddying behind her.

And there we have it! So does Rathier win, or does Liane? I leave it to you lot!

...No plans yet.
The Meaning Of Fear
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiebreaker!~ Wooo hooo!

Rathier seemed an interesting character... but he was simply too short. But he still has a chance, it seems, and 2 votes will put him in the lead! Very Happy

The White Blacksmith
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was short, but it's far more interesting to leave a character sans les pouvoirs than just to leave them dead. And I found Liane's split personality thing a tad confusing. There's more chance of that being explained when she's reflecting on their loss than if she's still in her comfort zone.

In conclusion, Meany's wrong. Vote Rathier!

Tea Cures All.
NeverNeverGirl
Honored Citizen

Topics: 68

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The White Blacksmith wrote:
It was short, but it's far more interesting to leave a character sans les pouvoirs than just to leave them dead. And I found Liane's split personality thing a tad confusing. There's more chance of that being explained when she's reflecting on their loss than if she's still in her comfort zone.

In conclusion, Meany's wrong. Vote Rathier!

Was totally going to vote Liana - the combo of the sisters and their dynamic had my attention from the first... but Whitie swayed me the other way.

Bring on the nullified Liane...
Black Hawk
Citizen

Topics: 6

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rathier leads by one point but for how long?

P.S. I voted Rathier

-Will Rodgers

Michael Crichton one of the greatest writers of his time 1942-2008 rest in peace
DeadManWalking
Duke of the Mostly Dead

Topics: 30

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But since he nullified her combat prowess, as he said, if Rathier wins, Liane won't be writing another story.

So you guys are kinda being counterproductive.

Bet you wish you could take back your vote now, don't you?
Sabriel
Tourist

Topics: 0

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like dmw said- it seems that Liane basically got kicked off. She lost her crystal and letter, so doesn't that mean that she can't continue fighting?
I think if you want to see more of her, she'd have to win this round.
Then again, I could be completely wrong.
The Meaning Of Fear
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I wonder who'll win this time?

As of this moment:

Liane: 4

Rathier: 4

NeverNeverGirl
Honored Citizen

Topics: 68

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you clarify that for us IM?

If he took her powers but didnt kill her is she still in the competition or is she out regardless?
Idea master
Magus Extraordinaire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've no idea, he didn't clarify what the heck he was doing, and I've no idea how Liane's writer will react to this. I do know that if Liane doesn't follow her crystal, she'll be out regardless!

...No plans yet.
The White Blacksmith
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hum. Well, Liane's winning, but I still think seeing a powerless character try to retrieve her crystal would be interesting.

Tea Cures All.
Idea master
Magus Extraordinaire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so round one has concluded. The survivors are:

Team Blitz and Spike

Blaze

Aeger

Liathel

Liane

The victims:

Ratfink: Incinerated.

Rathier: Sword in chest

Mikeal: Also incinerated.

And the free radicals:

Edward: Lost his match, but hasn't been forced to leave yet. When we've invented jetpacks, he'll be forced off.

The survivors have five days, starting from now, to tell me where they'd like to go to next. In the meantime, here's an interlude.

The Wheels of Fate are ever-turning...

IM sat deep in the basement of the Asylum, looking at the screen he'd conjured. "Ouch, I feel sorry for my brethren. Right through the chest. Had to be unpleasant."

Why did you not bring ALL the crystals here, mage? Like you did before?

IM looked up at the shadowy beast. "A few reasons. Firstly, those wards on this room didn't mind me teleporting the crystal the first time so long as I brought the counterpart to cancel it out. If I were to bring all the crystals, I would have to bring large quantities of their counterpart as well, and that much is dangerous to me. And if I were to simply walk in with those crystals, the dear Dr. Crooked would KNOW something is up. So these shmucks are doing my work for me. It also gives me time to lay down my runes."

IM looked back at the floor, where glittering blue dust lay in intricate patterns, covering almost the entire surface area. "It's part Wiccan, part Celtic, and part of my own design. Some parts are no bigger than a human hair, and all of it needs to be powered up. You don't mind me using one of these orbs, do you?"

Actually, yes I-

"Perfect. This won't take long..."

The runework flashed white, and then sunk into the ground, still glowing bright blue. The beast was noticeably upset.

I told you not to!

IM stood in one circle. "And here is where I'll stand, and around me the crystals will gather. Afterwards, I'll break the wards, and then...I'll grant you freedom from your addiction to this power. Freedom from this place."

And then I shall reward you.

Both grinned.

...No plans yet.

Last edited by Idea master on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Meaning Of Fear
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Gasp* Shocked

Naughty IM! Stop playing with the evil thingy!

Glad to finally see something other than just action. Short and sweet.

I wonder why you're trying to release this thing, though... Surely nothing can call for such dire measures.

Idea master
Magus Extraordinaire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only one fight this round, by my decree.

Round Two! Liathel VS. Liane in the forest.

They know what to do. So get to it!

Dawn of the first day. 120 hours remain.*

*Bonus point to whoever knows where that was blatantly stolen from!

...No plans yet.
Idea master
Magus Extraordinaire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry that it took so long, but my life has been a wee bit topsy-turvy. Anyway, round two!

Liathel VS. Liane

The following is Liathel's version of events:

Liathel sprinted towards the forest, weaving in and out of the trees. Little shafts of green light swam lazily over his tall figure. He jumped, weaved, ducked, dove through and over and under the trees and vines and little tendrils of vegetation scattered throughout the forest. Suddenly, he stopped dead in his tracks. He had heard something. He looked to his blades. They weren’t glowing, so it was nothing supernatural or divine per say, but he didn’t want to take any chances.

He looked around. It could just be an animal somewhere in the forest, but Liathel doubted the asylum staff would allow many animals to continue living on the island. He had seen some of them working and he could tell that they weren’t exactly the peace and love type you’d expect to take care of ailing Grimms…

He saw nothing and decided to continue on. He started to walk slowly, calmly. His feet made no sound in the brush. Musing on how the quiet sounds of the forest reminded him of home, the elf hardly noticed when he stepped into a clearing. The sun shone warmly, and the heavy smell of the air in the forest made him want to sleep. He wanted to sleep…

Snap out of it, you idiot, he yelled at himself. He played a note for alertness, for energy. The note reverberated through the clearing, but, oddly, the trees seemed to soak the note up like a sponge. Liathel blinked. This had never happened before. Suddenly the trees looked menacing; the air seemed stale with the taste of the note that didn’t echo as it should have.

The forest had taken on the very same aspect the woods had taken on when his parents died.

In an instant, he found himself that little child again. His people had died that day. His parents had died that day. His world had died that day.

Suddenly, Liathel heard the sound again. His head snapped in the direction of the sound, then back to the front. He started to sprint with all his might. He had to get out of this forest! He flew through the trees, reckless. There was a good chance he would hit a tree or trip, but he kept going. He breathed heavily. Suddenly, he stopped. This was stupid, and what was one of his three rules? Don’t be stupid. Stupid only gets you killed, or worse. He took a deep breath and continued to walk through the woods.

Suddenly, he encountered a bank of fog. It rolled over him. Liathel cursed under his breath. Now he couldn’t see anything but silhouettes. He strummed a chord for light on his harp, but the light didn’t illuminate much. He rolled his eyes and sat down on the nearest fallen log he could find.

He faintly heard someone swear. “Damn fog, I can’t see anything.”

His fingers suddenly flew over the strings and he raised his voice. The fog swirled and cleared, and standing before him was a woman with long hair. He silently grabbed his swords and stood up. Her eyes suddenly changed colors. They changed from serene violet to shiny silver. The woman drew a longsword and approached.

Liathel backed himself up against a tree, placed his feet properly, and launched himself in the air, right towards the woman. He became a missile. She ducked and swung around to swing her sword. She missed. He landed in the grass and tucked his body into itself, rolling on the ground. He sprung up and their swords crashed. He sang and lightning crashed from the sky, hitting a tree. He swore as the bolt missed its target. Suddenly there was fire everywhere, flames licking the centuries-old trees. Smoke clogged his vision, choked his lungs. He hummed and the smoke swam away from him. He could see her again, and she was coming right for his head! He parried and ducked away from her. She grinned. The fire cast little shadows all about her body. Suddenly she looked like a soldier from an army that Liathel had seen before, and army that destroyed people and parents and worlds.

He set loose a savage yell and swung with all of his might. She raised her sword to block the blow. The swords clanged as they met, but with a different tone. Shrapnel flew all over the burning forest as the woman’s sword broke.

The woman stopped, but Liathel did not. He did not see her pained look, he did not see her shock; all he saw was a soldier that had once brought unspeakable pain to his life. The stabbed the soldier in the chest. Blood flowed out as pained spirits flew out of the sword fragments around them. The woman’s eyes turned violet again, and she slumped over on the sword.

Liathel drew his sword from her body and wept.

Golly, you all seem to be getting steadily more bloodthirsty as time goes on. And here's Liane's version:

Liane sat atop the tree branch, eyes closed and feet dangling, letting the brief sunlight and warmth wash over her. It had not been her choice to stay in the forest- rather it had been Neve who had made the decision, preferring the trees to the scraggly cliffs Liane had in mind.

So. Now what? Ria prompted, impatient.

Liane sighed, reaching into the pouch around her neck and pulling out her letter. She squinted at it briefly.

It says… Liathel is our next opponent.

Liathel, eh? That’s a strange name. Neve mused quietly.

It’s probably elven. That means he’s obscenely good at magic, archery or swordplay. Ria stated, her usual cold calculating self.

And for our sake, I hope it’s not all three. Liane replied. She studied the letter before replacing it back in her pouch, but remained sitting on the branch, reluctant to part with the sparse warmth.

Well? Shall we go meet this elf or what? Karakel asked, eager at the prospect of another fight.

Liane sighed again and looked down towards the ground, noting how far away it was. Neve, mind getting us down from here?

Her eyes faded to green and Neve skillfully clambered down from the tree- finding holds in the thinnest cracks possible. Ten feet or so away from the ground, Neve simply let go of the tree and pushed herself away, dropping to the ground and rolling as she landed. She stood up slowly and took a quick glance around before returning control to Liane, who mechanically checked her sisters’ weapons, making sure all were present. Satisfied, she began walking through the forest once again.
As she walked, she began to hear faint strains of a melody. Curious, she paused, listening intently. It grew louder and clearer until it filled her mind entirely, blocking everything else out-including her sisters. Liane was floating there in a dark, endless void, alone. Memories began to resurface; her sisters’ death, her confusion at finding them with her, her parents’ grief and fear at what she had become… depressing memory after depressing memory assaulted her psyche, wave after wave pounding at her already aching mind.

Then the melody itself seemed to whisper enticingly, “Wouldn’t it be easier to end it all right now?”

Yes, Liane thought. Yes, it would.

“Then go on!” It sighed, plucking at her hands and pulling them towards the sword at her side. “No more restless nights, no more guilt, no more pain!”

No more pain… no more responsibility… no more secrets…how easy it would be. Karakel’s sword, Soulstealer, was suddenly in her hands and she gazed at it through clouded eyes. As she tightened her grip, a new voice entered her mind. This one spoke not of release, but of anger and death, an eternity trapped in dark steel- the murmuring of the souls trapped in the dark blade. As Liane listened to these new whispers, her eyes cleared and she dropped the sword, horrified at what she had almost done. The music paused, then resumed- but faster and much more wild then before. She clapped her hands over her ears in an attempt to block it out, but the notes bored their way through her fingers into her ears, sending her thoughts whirling about in a frightfully confusing dance, instilling a pained confusion the likes of which she had never felt. Unable to withstand it any longer, she dropped to her knees and four voices screamed wordlessly.

The sound of four different people screaming in agony cut through the wild song, which stopped instantly. Liane opened her eyes and stumbled to her feet quickly, gasping for breath. The terrible feeling of isolation was still with her until she heard her sisters’ speak.

What in blazes was that? Karakel asked, furiously.

I think it was… him. Neve replied, hesitantly.

A tall, slender man jumped down from a nearby tree, a harp in hand and two swords strapped to his sides.

“I am Liathel,” he said, his voice low and musical. “You must be Liane. Though I must say, I did not expect any… companions with you.”

Companions? She thought, confused.

He means us, Neve replied. He can sense us somehow.

Karakel snorted. I’m sure that scream didn’t help at all.

Liane ignored her impatient sister. “Companions? I’m afraid you must be mistaken. I am alone here,” she gestured towards the silent trees surrounding them- “Just as you were a few moments ago.”

Liathel chuckled. “Oh, but you must not mistake me for having the normal ignorance of a mortal.” He tilted his head, studying her with piercing amethyst eyes. “You are not alone, nor judging by your extreme reaction to my music-“ he lifted his harp. “are you ever alone.” He smiled slightly. “However, I shall not pry if you do not wish to share.”

Blushing furiously at the condescending tone in his voice, Liane reached down towards Soulstealer, dropped earlier, grasping the hilt and dropping into a defensive position.

Liathel sighed. “And I had so hoped we would be able to hold a civilized conversation rather then turning immediately to violence. But…” He shrugged. “If you insist.”

He strummed out a quick melody on his harp, two iridescent wings flowing out of his back. He launched himself into the air, leaving Liane on the ground. Before he could get out of reach however, Liane’s eyes flashed silver and she jumped forward, sword swinging. With a ‘thunk’, the flat of the blade struck Liathel in the foot. His eyes widened in surprise and he dropped a few feet before regaining altitude. He narrowed his eyes at Soulstealer.

“That is elvish make- the likes of which I haven’t seen for many years. You have no right to wield it!” He played a few notes on his harp, voice rising and falling with the music. Liane’s sword was jerked from her hands, soaring through the air with such force that it went almost all the way through a tree under Liathel.

Karakel shrieked with fury, causing Liane to wince. What did he do with my sword?
Liane reached for the dagger instead, but hesitated.

Let me do it. Ria spoke calmly.

But-

No buts! It’s my dagger- let me give him what he deserves!

Still unsure, Liane submitted control to Ria, eyes turning a muddy brown. As Ria grew accustomed to being in control once again, Liathel played a single note. Eight orbs of light appeared and hovered next to his head.

The harp! shouted Neve. Get the harp!

With a single, calculating glance, Ria drew her dagger and hurled it at the floating Liathel. It flew with such speed and accuracy that he had no time to duck, and it buried itself into his stomach. His eyes clouded with shack, and in his pain, his hands flew to his stomach, dropping the harp. Ria ran forward and caught it, brown eyes fading to silver as Karakel fought her way to control. Eyes glistening with fury and hatred, she raised the harp above her head and brought it down across her knee. The wooden sides splintered, as it snapped in half, strings uncurling with a discordant screech.

“No!” Liathel shouted, melodious voice cracking and reaching a nearly unintelligible pitch. The wings and orbs shimmered once before disappearing, sending him tumbling to the ground with a sickening crunch. Grimacing with pain, he pulled himself up, hilt of Ria’s dagger protruding from his stomach and left arm limp and dangling. He drew one of his twin swords with his single functioning arm and glared at Liane, who was quickly nocking an arrow and pulling it tight, eyes bright green. With inhuman speed, Liathel threw the sword at Liane, silver blade glistening as it sliced open her left forearm as she dropped the bow and arrow and dove to the ground to avoid impalement.

Pain cut Liane’s thoughts asunder, and she felt her sisters’ concentration being whipped away as well. Her arm was on fire… she looked at the wound, wincing when she saw how bad it was. She caught a glimpse of white bone… she could feel herself slowly falling into shock.

We’re not going to be able to fire any arrows for a while… Ria stated, ever coldly calculating.

So what do we do now? Neve asked, worried.

Liane struggled to maintain her concentration. I don’t know… we’re out of weapons, but so is he.

The only other weapon we have is what we stabbed him with, Karakel said. So, we go after that.

Fighting without any weapons was stupid, Liane knew. Without any other idea of what to do, Liane did the only thing she could think of.

With a scream of fury, she threw herself at Liathel, tackling him around his waist. Eyes screwed shut in concentration, her one good arm scrabbled to the hilt of her dagger as she felt him stagger backwards in surprise, falling into the tree trunk behind him. Liane felt him shudder and heard a slight screech of pain before he went limp. She opened her eyes and froze. The dark blade of Soulstealer grew from Liathel’s chest, blood running down the blade, directly next to her ear. She stepped away from the now lifeless body, almost stumbling over a tree root. A few feet away, she fell to her knees, clutching her left arm, still staring at the upright body. Liathel’s once piercing eyes stared, open in astonishment and glazed over with death. Her eyes dropped to the black blade. It began glowing blackly as it absorbed the elf’s lifeblood, leaving it as clean and sharp as before, if not darker.
Liane continued looking at the dead elf long after his last breath. I…really didn’t think… we would be that… lucky…

Ria smirked. I did.

Well he’s dead now, Karakel said, quiet for once.

Aye, he is. Neve replied. So you can rest…. For a little while, at least...

But what about…your weapons? Liane asked, sleep already creeping up on her, mixing with pain and dulling her thoughts.

You can worry about that later. Neve said sternly. Now, however, you need to sleep.

Else you’ll never be able to fight the other remaining contestants. Ria chimed in.

With a long, heavy sigh, Liane collapsed on the ground, falling into the arms of deep, dreamless sleep.

Leaves dropped from the trees until they lay over her like a blanket. The sun rose and fell across the sky, the mist swirling around Liane’s body, obscuring her from view.

So who lives...and who dies? CHOOSE!

...No plans yet.
DeadManWalking
Duke of the Mostly Dead

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh.

Both are solid stories.

Although the first is a bit short.

She attacks, he attacks, he breaks her sword, she gets stabbed, he starts crying.

Doesn't really talk about her at all.

And Liane seems to be such an interesting character too.
Alegria
Honored Citizen

Topics: 76
Location: On the beaches with Dr. Suess' Sneeches. Only the star-bellied ones, of course.

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. I'd like to see where both go with their characters. They both seem complex with interesting backstories...

-Friedrich Dürrenmatt

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sabriel
Tourist

Topics: 0

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know- the multiple personalities thing is a bit more interesting and dynamic, to quote Nene.

Not that Lithael isn't well writtten- just that Liane's seems to be a bit more detailed.
The Meaning Of Fear
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, fudgesticks! Those two names are so similar, I voted for the wrong one!

I intended to vote for Liane, by the way.

Idea master
Magus Extraordinaire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, right, result thing.

Liane is the victor, and Lithael is slain.

And here is an interlude for you all.

Breakout at the Asylum

Deep in the Asylum, there was a holding cell.

In that holding cell, was a man.

And that man was gibbering madly.

He is unimportant.

Next door to him, however, another man in another cell was sitting in a meditative pose. Around his neck was a pouch.

Inside the pouch was a crystal and a letter.

The door beeped five times, and a nurse with a syringe stepped in, flanked by two armed guards.

The man opened his eyes. The time had come.

"Mr. Xavier, it is time for your medication."

The nurse drew close to Xavier. And then she found herself being used as a meat shield. The guards opened fire instantly, and the nurse slumped forward, bullets thumping into her now-lifeless body.

Xavier, however, had grabbed the syringe from her and was advancing on the guards. When they paused to reload, he tossed the corpse at number one, used the syringe on number two, and then dealt a fatal blow to number one's ribcage, neck, and head.

Xavier rushed out the still-open door and panted a little. Nothing like a little exercise. Those idiots down at the dock had mistaken him for one who needed confinement. He was a contestant. And he was not here to play.

He was here to kill.

Contestants, you have five days again. And with this new addition, things really start to move!

...No plans yet.
Idea master
Magus Extraordinaire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Round Three has two matches, both occurring in the Canyon, but neither one allowed to interfere with the other.

Match one!
Aeger VS. Xavier

Match two!
Liane VS. Team Blitz and Spike

Contestants shall receive their PM's shortly. From that point, they have five days to write.

...No plans yet.
DeadManWalking
Duke of the Mostly Dead

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh.

So just to keep it straight, there's never going to be one big super battle with like seven people?

or is that a possibility?

because that'd be AWESOME.
Idea master
Magus Extraordinaire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe at the end. If you lot ever decide to go to the depths of the Asylum.

...No plans yet.
The Meaning Of Fear
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So he's practically telling the brave or the insane out of you lot to charge straight to the depths of the Asylum. At least, at the end, anyway.

Come on, I don't think it can get any blunter than that.

Alegria
Honored Citizen

Topics: 76
Location: On the beaches with Dr. Suess' Sneeches. Only the star-bellied ones, of course.

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How will team battle work? I'm a little confused on the concept....

-Friedrich Dürrenmatt

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Idea master
Magus Extraordinaire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite simple: The two characters are actually being written by the same author. Namely, Blitz's author controls both characters, due to A) Him 'winning' the battle that determined if he would die or team up with Spike, and B) Spike's author being way too busy.

But I have assurances from Blitz's author that he will do all in his power to kill, not capture or team up with, Liane. So once more, good luck!

...No plans yet.
DeadManWalking
Duke of the Mostly Dead

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHOA!

just by seeing the list of character you control from the competition, I can conclude that there are

ONLY TWO NON-IM CONTESTANTS LEFT!!!!!

Aeger and Liane.

GO THEM!

EDIT: And i just noticed that those were the only two who were fighting this round. One of them is being teamed up on, and the other is fighting a character newly created (possibly just for him)

That's not good.

Is IM trying to knock them out of this fight as quickly as possible?
Idea master
Magus Extraordinaire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meany, Meany, Meany. Wouldn't it be slightly unethical of me to knock BOTH of the remaining competitors out of the competition? Especially when I promised them my ENTIRE fortune if they won?

But I will be recalling the characters I control from the island after this round and I will open up Round Four and after to ALL COMERS.

You got that right. For a mere 25 fable fee*, ALL CHARACTERS from ANYONE will be accepted. I will, of course, require a bit of definition in the realms of, say, their Name, Appearance, History (Not applicable to all characters, I realize this), Strengths, and Weaknesses.

For those that get those characters in before Round Three concludes, I will offer a 15-fable DISCOUNT. I must be going MAD!

Oh, no, wait, I was already there.

All applications must be sent by PM, preferably with the fables attached.

*Along with your soul, your future income, and your firstborn.

...No plans yet.
DeadManWalking
Duke of the Mostly Dead

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh...

but isn't that mean to the people who have managed to survive thus far?

Would it not make more sense to conclude this tournament, end it with the being escaping or something, give perhaps a smaller reward for the winner than you had originally promised, and THEN start a new round open to all comers?
Idea master
Magus Extraordinaire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meany. I'm an evil mastermind. I can work it out. Trust me.

Well, okay, don't trust me. But do believe that this will work out.

Round three, FIGHT! This is Aeger's version of events.

He had been a hero once.

Aeger sat cross legged before the campfire, his eyes tracing the lines of the flames flickering in the wind that swept from the cruel heights, whistling through the sheer sides of the canyon below. His short brown hair quivered under the onslaught, but remained firmly plastered to his scalp by sweat.

He had been loved once.

He remembered a time when he walked through the streets and people called out in joy, who named him “Hero” and “Savior” and he was almost as holy as the priests in their robes. He remembered when he dined with kings of all lands. He remembered when he could end droughts with a spoken word and a waved hand, when he could lower floods with a different word. He remembered when he could call lightnings from the sky with a twitch of a finger.

He remembered the last time he called lightnings from the sky.

Aeger tore his gaze away from the flames, seeking to forget. He refused to remember, filling his mind with only the restoration of his lost power. The past was the past, and the future was what lay in wait for him. He looked down to letter and the crystal held in his hands, and read the parchment for his next fight.

Xavier

Aeger hadn’t seen this contestant on the parchment before, for some reason. Perhaps he’d only just noticed him.

Aeger returned to staring into the flames, trying to imagine what his next opponent would be like.

But, as always, thoughts drifted back to the Battle of Fonsflammae Pass. Or the Battle of Exitium Caeli, as it became known later. Exitium Caeli. Sky’s ruin.

He remembered standing alone at the mouth of the pass, Mt. Vulcan to his left and the waters of the Inland Sea to his right. He remembered looking across the volcanic plain, seeing the hordes that gathered.

He remembered a certain boy, one too young to fight a war, with nothing to lose but his life.

He remembered the eyes of that boy.

Aeger again wrenched his thoughts away from his past, sending his mind instead into the depths of the sandy earth around him.

The tattoos of his skin faded, his entire skin turning brown, the color of mud at the bottom of a water hole.

He was tired, and this was even more tiring. But he no longer thought of that battle, instead of the pulsing veins of earth, his mind riding on currents of stone.

Footsteps, vibrating down into the cool depths.

His mind sprang back to his body.

Aeger reflexively threw himself away from the fire, his tattoos reappearing, his crystal and letter forgotten near the campfire. He rolled, turned, saw a white-haired man with a younger face walk into the firelight, his eyes glittering.

Those eyes.

Those eyes were sparkling, dancing lights, above a grin that would grow as he slaughtered your friends. Those eyes whirled and jigged to their own private tune, watching the world in wonder as the hands they saw ripped and tore the flesh.

The man noticed the crystal and parchment and spoke,

“So you ARE a contestant. What a lucky day for me. Hmmm… Which one are you though? You aren’t the Nutcase with the Sisters, or the Sparkplug.”

He snapped his fingers.

“You’re the Cripple! Really, what luck! Just the man I was hoping to find.”

Those eyes danced back to the crystal, before leaping back to Aeger, a grin growing underneath.

“You seem to have lost your crystal. That is against the rules you know. As a fellow contestant, I’ll probably have to report this. But it seems like such an unsporting way to beat you; I mean it really wouldn’t be any fun.”

His grin widened even more.

“Let’s play a game shall we? If you can touch your crystal, I won’t report you. Then we have to really fight. But if you give up, I get to report you!”

He cocked his head, waiting for an answer, but received only silence.

“I’ll take that as a yes.”

He simply stood there, waiting for Aeger to make the first move.

Aeger hesitated. He had trained almost the whole part of the last ten days. He was in no shape to fight.

But he was just standing there.

Aeger flicked a needle through the air, testing the reflexes of this smiling madman.

He moved his head, too slowly, a line of blood just missing his left eye.

He touched the blood, looked at it.

“That was a mean trick.”

Aeger threw two other needles, one after the other, both at the madman’s face.

He ducked, his eyes going down for a second to avoid the needles.

Aeger leapt forward, his left hand ringed with red and flickering with flames, taking advantage of his opponent’s mistake, intending to end it as quickly as poss-

The man’s hand blurred, and Aeger heard a crack, felt ribs breaking, felt himself hit the ground several yards away.

He coughed up blood.

“Well you’re going to have to try harder than that. And try not to be so gullible. I want this game to be interesting.”

Aeger staggered to his feet, touched one of the low plant that grew around the canyon like weeds. He concentrated, and his hand glowed green, before the plant withered and died. He felt his ribs healing some, enough that they would hold for a while.

“Hey! That’s the way to do it. Just keep on coming back. Just like a punching bag!”

Aeger looked up and concentrated on the fire behind the man. It roared up, engulfing the spot where the white-haired man had been.

Had been.

The man was already next to Aeger, raining punches and kicks.

“Way too obvious. C’mon! Make this interesting!”

Aeger stumbled backwards, shielding his face with his arms. He heard his ribs crack again.

Aeger suddenly dropped underneath a punch sweeping his legs across where the man’s legs were. Or had been.

The man simply skipped over them, stepping down hard on his Achilles heel as it passed under.

Aeger was back up in an instant, ignoring the pain in his ankle and ribs, pressing the attack.

The man dodged every single one, ducking weaving.

“Come on. I could fend this off with one hand behind my back.”

And then the lunatic put his left hand behind his back and took a fighting stance, his eyes dancing still.

Aeger attacked.

The man spoke.

“Downward chop to the right shoulder” He hit Aeger’s elbow as it was coming down.

“Sidekick” He simply stepped aside as Aeger’s foot went past.

“Close-range needle.” He caught the needle, his hand in place even before Aeger threw.

“Open-Palm Thrust” He moved the same hand, the needle piercing into Aeger’s palm.

“Another leg sweep” He simply did a backflip backwards, his eyes still glittering, his mouth still grinning.

Aeger had broken ribs, a bleeding hand and a hurt ankle, and he hadn’t even landed a blow besides the first. And that one had been given to him.

What was going on?

Then it clicked, and Aeger’s eyes widened.

He had been predicting the moves before they had happened. But then he could dodge everything!

The Man laughed, his head thrown back.

“So you finally get it. I am Xavier, Reader of Souls. And you’re about to die.”

Aeger took a deep breath, ignoring the pain of his cracked ribs. He concentrated, and his skin turned red.

Xavier’s eyes widened and he leapt through the air an instant too late.
Aeger’s skin burst into flames, creating a shield that would stop anyone from touching him.

Xavier simply stood helpless.

Aeger simply walked past, back to his crystal and letter. He would get those back first, then he could deal with Xavier.

He bent to pick up the scroll, near the precipice of the canyon. The Flames retreated from his fingers as they reached towards the parchment.

Suddenly Xavier was there, his foot crushing Aeger’s fingers against the ground in front of the letter, then darted up to break his nose, moving so fast that it simply wasn’t in the fire enough to be hurt.

Aeger stumbled back, the flames fading.

“It’s so fun to watch you lowly mortals thinking you can win. I love to see the hope in your eyes, just extinguish.”

Aeger panted, his face a mess.

Xavier’s predatory eyes still danced in the firelight.

Aeger saw himself in those eyes, saw the reflections of his own eyes in them.

A young boy, with nothing to lose but his life, charging at a man who threw the lightning and the waves around like pets.

Aeger remembered seeing himself through the desperate eyes of the boy, saw a terrifying monster with the sky’s power dancing on his fingertips that through lightning that burned the skin off of hundreds of farmers calling themselves an army.

He had faltered, and with a desperate swing, the boy had taken off his hand.

He had lost control off the waves, and the waters of the Inland Sea swept away thousands, but thousands continued down the pass to ravage the Imperial Cities, and no longer was he called “Hero” or “Savior”. No longer would the lightnings dance on his tongue or the clouds come to his call.

He had sworn an oath of silence, until he could finally regain what he had lost.

And always, he remembered the eyes of the young soldier as the lightnings danced along his flesh and the chain-mail melted into his skin.

He saw those same desperate eyes right now, reflected in the laughing eyes of the madman before him.

Xavier saw his despair and laughed again.

Then Aeger made his decision and Xavier’s eyes widened and he tried to move out of the way.

Aeger tackled him, sending them both off the brink of the Canyon.

They fell, next to each other, both searching for something to grab hold of.

Aeger looked down at the ground rushing towards him. He concentrated, and fifty feet down a plant wormed its way out of the wall, growing faster and faster, ready to catch-

Xavier pummeled him with fist and foot, the grin gone, the eyes no longer dancing, hitting him like a whirlwind, breaking his concentration.

As they neared the tree, Xavier grabbed at it, brushed the upper branches with his fingertips.

Then it burned like a bonfire, suddenly, and Xavier turned with a snarl and kicked Aeger again, sending him tumbling away.

Xavier brushed the canyon wall with his fingertips, the contact causing his fingers to bleed and his body to spin, tumbling down the steep wall at almost a vertical angle, seeking a handhold in the sheer side.

Aeger saw the ground before him, and closed his eyes.

His tattoos faded, and his skin turned to brown. He cast his mind out to the earth, became one with it, wove his being into the song and currents of the metals and stones.

Xavier hit the ground hard, almost his entire body pulverized into pulp against the harsh ground. By a fluke, his head survived untouched, the mouth no longer grinning and the eyes no longer dancing.

Aeger’s body hit the ground and sank.

He returned to his body, floating in the dark stone like it were water, his breathing labored and his ribs cracked, his lung punctured, his nose broken, his ankle shattered, his Achilles tendon snapped.

He concentrated, looked out with his mind at what remained of Xavier, then fell into a deep and healing sleep.

-----

And this is Xavier's.

Death.

That was all on Xavier's mind.

Killing things.

Just to eliminate the souls that he could see.

When all others were finally gone, he could relax, as there would be no more souls for him to see. Finally, the spirit world would leave him alone.

It was such a burden, such a curse, to be capable of seeing the souls of men. Not only could he see what they intended to do, but he could see all their deeds laid bare.

And it sickened him.

He would start here, with this contestant. He glanced at his letter, which read Aeger.

Who the hell names their kid Aeger? The kid won't be able to say it until he's at least five.

Xavier walked into a clearing, where there was evidence of a human once inhabiting this place. Xavier grinned. His Soul Sight only ran forward, but anyone could look at the evidence of the past and see where people where. He would follow the trampled underbrush to wherever it led.

A few hours later, Xavier found himself looking into a steep canyon. The tracks he'd been following were gone now that there was no underbrush. He looked around, checking to see if the man was nearby with his Soul Sight. Nothing glimmered, so Xavier turned around. Maybe he'd missed something.

And that was when he saw it.

People often asked him what it was like seeing things with Soul Sight. He never answered them, but he knew all the same. It was like seeing a series of ghosts of the same person, each one doing one specific action.

Thus, he was surprised to see a ghost jumping at him from the forest, bum-rushing him, and then plummeting to the canyon floor.

Fortunately, the person to whom the ghost responded to hadn't acted on it yet. Xavier figured if he turned around again, the person would try his supposed sneak attack.

Xavier looked at the distance between him and the trees and estimated it to be about twenty feet. A person could run that in about five seconds. Give it another five for whoever was in the bushes to be lulled into a false sense of security...so if he turned back around, he should count to nine and sidestep.

Xavier turned. One, two, three...

There was a small snapping noise. Whoever it was had left the underbrush...three, four, NOW!

Xavier dodged to the side and watched as the one-armed man plummeted into the canyon, a look of surprise painted on his face. Xavier grinned. "Too easy."

Xavier watched all the same, to ensure that this person was dead. He was pleasantly surprised when whoever it was sunk into the very earth and reappeared further down, none the worse for wear.

"A physical adept! This should prove interesting!"

Xavier nimbly picked his route down, carefully avoiding setting off any landslides or falling himself. It wouldn't do to die before the battle, after all.

Xavier finally reached his opponent and bowed slightly. He could see that the man would attempt to use a needle to do him in quickly, and as such, as soon as his bow was completed, he moved his head one foot to the right. The man seemed surprised when the needled whizzed harmlessly into the cliff face.

"Going to have to try harder than that."

The man looked worried for a second. Xavier took this chance to pull out his letter. "You wouldn't happen to be Aeger, would you?"

The man, still confused, nodded once. Xavier grinned. "Oh, well then, let's spar a bit, shall we? I wonder how good you are."

The man shook his head a little, obviously pulling himself together. The two opponents faced one another. One was a previous master of the elements, now working to regain what he had lost the day he'd lost his hand. The other still possessed both of his hands, as well as an ability to see into the realm of the spiritual.

The fight was very-one sided.

Aeger opened up with a fireball thrown at his foe, which Xavier neatly sidestepped. Xavier then moved in and performed a kick at Aeger's right knee. Aeger nearly cried out in pain and collapsed, trying to figure out how this man could have possibly dodged not only the needle, but the fireball as well. There was no way, unless...

Xavier began talking. "You know, a lot opens up to you when you can see into the spiritual. The paths people want to take, the things they've done. Everything is laid bare, it's almost maddening."

Aeger took in these words while looking at his foe. In those eyes, he saw an insanity that none could rival. That face of glee...this man had killed before, and enjoyed it. He had killed for no other reason than the feeling of the kill itself. And if what he was saying was true, then there was almost no way to stop him, unless...

For the first time in his life, Xavier cried out. He was nearly blind. The man before him was prepared to do ANYTHING. The paths the ghosts were taking were everywhere at once. The overlapping all merged into a bright white. Thus, he was unprepared for the fist to the solar plexus when it happened. Nor did he know about the chop to the neck.

However, when the kick to the ribs was about to happen, he had prepared himself, and for the first time, put up a defensive. Xavier grabbed Aeger's foot and threw the one-handed man down the slope, away from himself.

Aeger grunted as he slid down the slope, eventually landing in the river below. He panted slightly. His right leg still hurt a bit, but now, he could rest a moment while he gathered his thoughts. As he suspected, when he cast his mind out and tossed aside all plans, his foe was unable to predict what was to happen, and could not dodge. It also seemed to blind him a bit...Perhaps if he did it again?

Xavier groaned, slowly gaining back his sight. The first thing that he saw was that Aeger was now in a river, and there was a slight shimmer in the air. Aeger was using the same trick to try and catch him unawares again. There was one way to stop that...

Aeger called upon the water, and for the first time since that day, it answered him again like it had before. It was painful and draining, but it was like it had been. He commanded the small river up the slope, to surround and pull back the white-haired man, to pull him to the depths. To drown him.

Xavier had found what he was looking for. A pile of stone as old as the island itself, carefully kept on the slope by the fact that none had dared disturb it. Xavier moved to the back and the one thing no sane thing would try.

Xavier disturbed the stone.

It moved slowly, picking up speed as it went, until finally, fifty tons of rock moved with the fury of a beast disturbed. And it was moving towards Aeger.

The stream and the rock intercepted each other. But the stream could not win. The stone had gravity on its side, and the stream was not as large as the oceans Aeger had once commanded. The strain began to show as Aeger slowly collapsed, putting more and more of his energy into fighting the stone.

He failed.

The river fell back into its bed, and the stone followed. Aeger tried desperately to become one with the rock again. He may not have enough time.

There was a thud, and dust billowed while water splashed. Xavier grinned. "He was the first one in a while to figure out how to get around me. Maybe this island isn't a waste of time after all."

Xavier briefly considered checking if Aeger had managed to pull his trick of melding with stone again, but it was getting late, and he had an appointment elsewhere, it seemed. The letter's text shifted again.

Big Bad Wolf in the Asylum.

Slowly, the wheels of fate turn...But who will survive the crushing gears? It is up to you!

...No plans yet.
Phantomfan
Citizen

Topics: 7

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These two were really great. Very well detailed...
I still have to say I liked Aeger's better though. The flashbacks were pretty cool- they added a sense of character that Xavier didn't quite have.

Here's some stuff I started writing a long time ago. Orb. Nexus.
DeadManWalking
Duke of the Mostly Dead

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow.

We aren't getting very many votes for this round, are we?
The White Blacksmith
Elder

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I last checked this, I couldn't seem to vote.

Tea Cures All.
DeadManWalking
Duke of the Mostly Dead

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*pokes this topic*

*looks at the date*

*looks at the poll*

Why are there only four votes?

Who survives?
Aeger?
75%
75% [ 3 ]
Or Xavier?
25%
25% [ 1 ]
Idea master
Magus Extraordinaire

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies.

Writer's block.

Next fight will be up by Friday.

...No plans yet.
Black Hawk
Citizen

Topics: 6

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't vote but if I could I'd vote for Aeger

-Will Rodgers

Michael Crichton one of the greatest writers of his time 1942-2008 rest in peace

Who wins?
Aeger and Liane?
75%
 75%  [ 3 ]
Or IM and the Big Bad?
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4
Who Voted: Black Hawk, DeadManWalking, Phantomfan, The White Blacksmith

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Vault All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: