Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
Short 'n' Curly competition - We have a Winner!

(currently a favorite of 0 users)
   Storygames Home -> Stasis Hall - Completed or archived Storygames -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Topics: 168

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Short 'n' Curly competition - We have a Winner! Reply with quote

Get yer typing heads on, it's a writing competition!

Rulez:

Under 1000 words

Subject - anything you like! Any genre, any format.

Must include the following:

• A dead fish
  • A bunch of red roses
  • A cameo appearance by Robin Hood
  • The word Cavil used correctly according to its definition, either as a verb or a noun.

Entries open until Nov 21.

Prize pot is 100 Fables X number of entries. Maximum prize - 1000 Fables!

Last edited by Crunchyfrog on Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:11 am; edited 5 times in total

Items

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cavil
Verb
[-illing, -illed] or US [-iling, -iled]
to raise annoying petty objections
Noun
a petty objection [Latin cavillari to jeer]

Noun 1. cavil - an evasion of the point of an argument by raising irrelevant distinctions or objections
quibble, quiddity
equivocation, evasion - a statement that is not literally false but that cleverly avoids an unpleasant truth

Verb 1. cavil - raise trivial objections
carp, chicane
object - express or raise an objection or protest or criticism or express dissent; "She never objected to the amount of work her boss charged her with"; "When asked to drive the truck, she objected that she did not have a driver's license"

--

I'm thinking of jioning, but I'm not sure.
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No takers yet?

Very Happy
Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Topics: 75
Location: Running through the plains of my mind, my wolf spirit at my side (but doing so in the UK!).

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Crunchy!
Confused Are you supposed to write a story, or anything you want, like poetry or something?

Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - any genre - any format - as long as those random items are included. So that'd include poetry too! Smile
Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Location: Running through the plains of my mind, my wolf spirit at my side (but doing so in the UK!).

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gocha Crunchy! I'll see if I can come up with something! Thumbs Up

scissorkitty
Respected Citizen

Topics: 59

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a hilarious idea, and will provide a welcome distraction to my avoidance of NaNoWriMo. Razz
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good good Very Happy Then I shall set a closing date for November 21st - 2 weeks to come up with a short 'n' curly entry, which will still leave you a massive 9 days to finish your 50k Nano marathon.

Razz

(edit to add:) Damn, I knew I forgot to mention something. Dont forget to PM your entries so that they're anonymous. You can tell I've never run a writing competition before. Haha! *quickly edits the topic title* Very Happy
Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you do that and still have proof that you wrote it? Blink

scissorkitty
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, write it and sign your name - do all this in a Word program or something like that. Then copy and paste it in a PM to CrunchyFrog, and she'll deal with all the rest when the time comes. Don't worry, we have a pretty fair "ownership" policy here in IF.
Amichan
Treasurer

Topics: 18
Location: RL:Roseboro, NC./ IF: Retuning from a long journey in the land of OFF

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honesty is really good around the fair city ( has samurai guards ready to cut dishonest souls heads off)
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tikanni Corazon wrote:
How do you do that and still have proof that you wrote it? Blink

The user name from which the PM came from is a pretty good indicator Razz but seriously if you're worried about copyright I'll make it clear at the end of the poll who authored which. It'll work the same way as the Story of a Picture competition.

Since poetry is also being accepted I'm going to relax the word limit rules and say that anything under 1000 words is okay. (you can really tell I've never done this before ) Laughing *goes to edit first post*

Hopefully now we'll get some more entries! Very Happy
Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it Crunchy! I didn't realise that I was supposed to post it to you, rather than on this page. Thanks, and thanks to Scissorkitty and Kang too.
As I've said before, I'm a complete dunce when it comes to anything to do with this contraption!

And sorry if it seemed I was doubting anyones honesty. Truly, I wasn't. I just didn't know how it would work. I've only been on here a few weeks and all you guys have been great! Thumbs Up

Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's the first entry Very Happy

An Elegant Night at Table.

“A toast”, he yelled, to crowd most fair
“To our Hostess, a woman of means.”
“And what means are those?” a stranger was heard to inquire.
When heads were turned,
As heads are sometimes wont to do,
A man was seen.
All dressed in Green, with a hat
Most Uncommonly Styled
Upon his head.
He was, he said
“The most Illusive Robin Hood.”
“The means,” replied the Hostess
Tossing her words to the crowd like
A bunch of red Roses, sweet and sharp,
“Necessitate the Ends. That is all.”
“I must cavil your prose, Dear.”
Replied the Right Honorable Hood,
whose very rude interruption
Stalled the dinner party.
“You are either a Cold Fish, or a Dead Fish,
Certainly not the
Most Rare of creatures you propose to be.”
“And what Creature would that be,
Fine Sir?” A timid voice shouted
From behind a curtain, at the end of the table.
The diners whispered and gossiped
Over the roast Duck, as it was served
On a glittering silver Platter.
Disregarding the voice, the Hood spake
Once more to the crowd.
“You, Madame, are not a Maiden,
dressed in all in White,
leading on to Pleasure and Purity.
No, Madame Hostess, you are at least
A Siren,
A very Devil in disguise,
Leading your Diners towards their Doom
with words so Sweet
As to better whet Their Appetites.”
“That,” she said, patting her hair
The better to hide her Horns,
“Is a point most Debatable.”
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another fine entry, just in! Very Happy

Stuck in a Rut

Marian looked out, across the kingdom of Fairytale, from her window. She was bored. Of everything and everyone, especially her boyfriend Robin.

She looked over her shoulder, to where he lay sprawled across the sofa sleeping. He'd been out boozing all night and now he was sleeping it off.
She ground her teeth together. Just looking at him made her fume. Turning back to the window, she sighed. Life had once been so fun and exciting. Adventures, romantic moonlit walks, making love all night. And now, no more romance, no more adventures. All that was left was...

"Crap," she muttered, "Total crap."

Robin began to snore.

"For Gods sake!" she hissed. She got up, walked over to him, and jabbed him hard in the stomach. He woke up spluttering, clutching his stomach, like he'd been stabbed. 'Making a fuss over nothing,' she thought to herself, 'Idiot!'

"What's that for?" Robin groaned resentfully.

"I'm bored out of my mind," replied Marian, "and if I'd had to listen to your snoring any longer, I think I might have killed you."

He sat up, still rubbing his tummy.

"Why don't we go skinny dipping in the lake," she suggested, "Or for a romantic meal. Something like that." He just looked up at her blankly. She sighed, sinking down onto the sofa next to him. "We're stuck in a rut," she said, massaging her temples. "It never used to be this way."

"A rut?" he repeated.

With an impatient noise, Marian got back to her feet. "Are you thick or something? Yes, a rut. We're stuck in the same place, going nowhere. And I'll tell you something else, Robin Hood, if it doesn't change, I'll do something drastic!" She stalked off towards the bedroom.

He started after her. "But what do you..." he began.

"THINK OF SOMETHING!" she bellowed, slamming the bedroom door. She didn't leave the room again that day. She fell asleep, remembering the good times they'd had together, now tainted by Robins selfishness and apparent stupidity.

She woke the next morning, bathed, dresses, then ventured outside the confines of her room. Robin was nowhere to be seen. "Must have left early," she said to herself, when she had checked the whole house.

That morning brought an unexpected, but welcome guest. Snow White arrived, just before lunch time, along with a picnic basket full of goodies, and a dozen of her finest red roses, as a gift for her friend. Marian held the bunch of voluptuous red blooms beneath her nose, and sniffed the heavenly scent. "Thankyou, Snow, they're beautiful," she exclaimed in delight. "But what are you doing here?"

"Well, Charming was out riding yesterday, and saw you staring miserably out of the window. So I thought I'd come over today and cheer you up. What's wrong? Are you and Robin having problems?"

"Yes," Marian admitted, "Yes we are."

"Well," said Snow, gesturing the basket. "Let's take this into the garden, and you can tell me all about it over lunch."

An hour later, Marian had told Snow everything. Snow pondered their conversation, while she nibbled delicately at a frosted cupcake. "Well," she said at last, "if Charming was like that, I'd have told him where to go, a long time ago. It's your decision. But I will say this. If you were to dump Robin, you wouldn't have to look far for someone else."

"Who?" said Marian, her curiosity triggered.

"He's just moved into the neighbourhood. His name in Arthur. King Arthur, actually. Wife ran off with his best friend, poor love. And," she continued, "If you do decide your interested, I happen to know that he takes a ride along the lake path, every morning before breakfast." She flashed Marian an impish grin, which Marian returned.

Snow left not long afterwards, leaving Marian to think. She decided to see if Robin had taken any notice of her rant before making any decisions.

It was evening before he returned. He came in carrying a large bag. "Sorry I'm late," he said, "John and the boys wanted to go for a quick drink." He thrust the bag towards her, with a silly, proud grin on his face. "Here you go."

She took it, smiling back at him. He had listened.

"Ooo! What is..." She was cut off, mid-sentence, as she opened the bag, and the stench of its contents wafted out, making her gag.

"It's a salmon," replied Robin, barely noticing. "Caught it this morning, at the lake. Thought you could make us one of those romantic meals that you were talking about." He looked at her expectantly. "Hop to it then. I'm starved."

She didn't know what it was, whether it was what he said, or the stench of the dead fish, or both. But sudden fury took hold of Marion, and before she realised what she was doing, she had whipped the fish from it's bag, and smacked Robin hard around the face with it. The impact of flesh hitting flesh, created a satisfying slapping noise.

For a moment, they both stood dumbstruck at what had just happened.

"You hit..." he began.

"Out!" Marian cut him off.

"What?"

"Get out Robin!"

"But I..."

"I don't want any of your cavil, just get out!"

She didn't give him another chance to speak. She ran out of the house, slamming the door behind her. There was a willow in the garden, and she sat beneath it and began to cry.

She cried for what seemed like hours, before she finally stopped and headed back to the house. Robin was gone, along with all of his belongings.

She was suprised to find that she wasn't sad about it. She felt contentment, like a weight had been lifted. He was gone, and she was free to seek new happiness.

"I think I'll take a ride along the lake path tomorrow," she said to herself, smiling.
Bookwizard
Respected Citizen

Topics: 33

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrrg... so many distractions from NaNoWriMo, I will hopefully get something in the by the due date though.

Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here is the third entry!

(Untitled 1)

One fine day
little Jill Horner
Thought that she
would go round the corner.

When she went round the corner
who did she meet there?
Daddy bear, mummy bear
and little baby bear.

She waved at the bears
and gave them a "Hey!"
They growled at her
and chased her away.

Running for her life
She fell over some rocks.
She flew and landed
inside a fish-filled box.

The smell was hornendous
So she jumped right out,
and wnet on her way
stinking of dead trout.

On her travels, she went
through a deep dark wood.
And hiding in an oak tree
was the handsome Robin Hood.

She wanted to leave
but he begged her to stay.
She cried "no more of your cavil"
and went on her way.

In the distance,
she could see a hill.
On top stood a man
and he shouted "Jill!"

She ran to him and hugged him,
then he pulled from behind his back,
a bunch of red roses.
She smiled softly and said "Hello Jack."
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we have a fourth entry! I must say I'm impressed with the variety of entry formats so far: two styles of poem, a short story and an IF tale...

If you're still thinking about entering, there are just 3 more days to go!

(Untitled 2)

Smee brushed down his navy robes in a futile attempt to make them appear clean. The heavy material was liberally stained all over by sticky patches of redbull, and specks of chocolate. 'A mayoral cleaner! The next order of business when I see the council!' He declared to himself. It was ludicrous that the city treasury was overflowing with fables, and here he was, the Mayor expected to launder his own clothes!

Rubbing his sore neck, he glanced down at his toes peeking out from the frayed ends of his shoes. Long thick toenails jutted out like talons, brown and gnarly.'Plus a mayoral masseuse and a Toe-nail administrator!' He amended.

Voices echoing from down the corridor announced some Ifians coming closer. Smee gave his robes one last rub down, sighed and headed off to meet them.

~

"The theme is famous musicians!" Yelled a voice. "This just doesn't go at all. You've got to change."

"But he's famous, and can play an instrument. He even has a backing group." The second voice was deep, slow but determined.

"He's not famous for his music!" The first voice had become shrill with indignation.

"Does this help my costume?" A third voice piped up. "I used a whole bunch this time."

The shrill voice softened slightly. "They're very pretty, Deady but I'm afraid no amount of roses are going to make a walking corpse smell better. Besides, I don't think even Elton John wears quite so many flowers."

"How do you know, history books from the time are limited!" The deep voice retaliated to the earlier comment.

Smee turned a corner to witness the strange scene. Madonna was stood shouting at a strange figure in green. Behind them was DeadManWalking wearing a pink and silver suit and covered in red roses. To the side was Tina Turner in her big hair days, furiously scribbling away on a notepad.

"Eugh!" The shrill voice screamed in frustration. "Raemon, you are just impossible. How do you expect me to organise this fancy dress party with you cavilling at every opportunity. Robin Hood isn't a famous musician, no matter how you argue it." She held up one finger as Raemon tried to interrupt. "With or without a 'band' of Merry men," she added.

Smee did a double take, recognising Robin Hood now. He also finally placed Madonna as Lilith, and Tina Turner appeared to be Cho, although he only realised the latter because there was a glum faced computer floating above her head making a low beep and incrementing a counter for every word Cho wrote.

Before he could say anything the ground shook as a large red dragon appeared from around another corner, trying vainly to squeeze a giant wig onto its horned head.

"Oh brilliant, Rai!" Lilith exclaimed. "The best Scary Spice costume ever!"

Rai harrumphed, letting out a cloud of smoke and steam.

From behind Rai appeared a strange man, resembling a walking pile of dusty old tomes. Lilith rounded on him. "Bookwizard, how many more times, if you refuse to dress in costume, then you will have to dance!"

Before Smee's very startled eyes, the pile of books suddenly began gyrating. Salsa music played from nowhere and with flawless precision, BookWizard flowed from elegant form to elegant form, coming to a panting stop five minutes later at Lilith's feet after a 900 degree spin. Spontaneous applause broke out, as the crowd marvelled.

"This is quite some show you're planning, Lil" Smee said, finally moving into notice.

"Oh, Smee, I didn't see you there. Yes, well it's going to be fabulous of course." She cast a dirty look towards Robin Hood. "Just a few last minute costume alterations and rehearsals required."

"What DID you do!" A loud scream suddenly echoed from somewhere nearby.

"Serves YOU right!" An equally loud scream replied.

"Oh no," Lilith groaned.

Two figures ran up the corridor, one chasing the other. As they got closer Smee realised one was holding a large fish of some kind. The taller one behind finally caught up with the front one and began viciously thwacking them with the fish, punctuating every thwack with gasped shouts.

"See.... how.... you.... like.... your... costume.... smelling.... of.... fish!"

"ENOUGH!" Lilith yelled. "Tatty, Tikky get over here now. Tikky, let your sister up, I think you've made your point."

Grudgingly, with a few last half hearted thwacks, the two girls came over. Tatty's dress was ripped, and covered in oily splotches from the fish.

"Hold still! Photo for the IFQuirer," Kang said, dropping down from the ceiling, camera ready in his hands.

"My costume is ruined!" Tatty wailed.

"Not to fear, I can polish that up, no problem." Crunchyfrog declared, appearing bizarrely from behind a wall hanging depicting a giant slug riding fearlessly into battle.

"Thanks, Crunchy," Lilith said. "And now it's on with the show."

But that's a whole other story!

The End.

A sudden ping, and a form teleported into the room. "Am I too late for the story?" Wormy asked anxiously, proudly dressed in his costume - nothing but an IF Thong.
Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know who wrote this, but you are so right. Tatty doesn't stand a chance against me.
Not that it happens very often *sniggers behind her hand*
Oh no, we never fight *laughs uncontrollably*
ROFL

Tatkret Sos
Resident

Topics: 1

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! You put me in it! Thankyou lots and lots! Its really good btw! Good luck
Poke
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here is the fifth entry! We have more poets out there than previously thought!

(Untitled 3)

A futile attempt to cavil at my words,
But what song do you sing?
You, a man of fur and fright,
Sheltered withing by your wooden mask.

Yet such a thing can’t hide you from me!
I am the undertaker, the reaper, and I have come for you.

A red rose rose, beauty in all men’s eyes,
This will be your last.
Yes, a rose for you, and all your friends,
May its pleasant aroma temper your nerves,
For these roses have thorns.

So come, join me at my side!
There are others like you, and others not,
There are soldiers and sailors, poets and priests,
Men of peace and men of rebellion.

Look now, at my side! It is the hero of Nottingham,
whose fast hands have helped many a poor beggar.
And look to my other, the killer from Berlin,
There is many a Jew on his belt.

To one and the same, you all will go,
No more value than a rotting dead fish.
For who is God to judge?
Klafarius
Resident

Topics: 4

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How the Heck did I miss this???? This sounds awesome! *Shoves the latest Biv-Wacked chapter off the desk* I think I can come up with something pretty quick.

scissorkitty
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all the entries are great! i'm excited to see how this rounds up.
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another fine entry!

The entry stage will close this evening (GMT) and then the poll will go up tomorrow!

A Fish, A Rose, and a Sequined Prince

The day began rather oddly for Ted. He had awoken after a night of unexpected binge drinking, bleary eyed and with a headache to rival all headaches; that and the fact that a 150 lb dead fish was currently propped up stinking on his couch. ‘What the heck happened last night?’ he thought pinching his nose and trying to decide if he should try to haul the fish down the stairs or pack it into the elevator to dispose of it. His phone rang cutting off his train of thought. Walking into the kitchen he snatched up the receiver.

“Hello?”

“Tedster! It’s Jerry”

Ted winced. “Jerry, hi. What’s up?”

“Hey buddy, I was talking to Tina and she wants you and Kimmie to go to lunch with us today.”

“Huh?”

“You know Tina and Kimmie? From the party. Last night.”

Ted groaned. “Let’s pretend I have no clue what you’re talking about okay?”

Jerry was silent so long Ted thought they had been disconnected, then Jerry exploded into laughter. “How smashed did you get last night?”

Ted glanced at the rotting carcass on the couch, “Apparently pretty smashed.”

Jerry giggled. “Tell you what, meet me at Caviyone’s in a half hour.”

“Sure. Oh, and Jerry?”

“Yeah?”

“Why is there a dead dolphin on my couch?”

“It’s a Marlin. See you in a half hour.” And Jerry hung up.

When Ted walked into Caviyone’s Restaurant he fought to keep the contents of his stomach where they should be as the odors of cooking food assailed his nostrils. He saw Jerry waving to him from a corner booth. “I called the girls and they should be here in ten minutes.” Jerry picked up a bunch of red roses and thrust them at Ted. “These are for Kimmie. You met her last night at a party after we left the Red Chief.”

Ted looked at Jerry bewildered. “I don’t remember that.”

Jerry grasped Ted by the shoulders. “Ted, don’t screw this up! These women are hot, they are interested in us, and I will kill you if you screw this up. You may be my best friend, but I will have to kill you.”

“What about the fish?”

“You said you needed it for the plot line of a story you were going to write.”

Ted stared at Jerry open mouthed. “Jerry I don’t write.”

Jerry shrugged.

“Besides where in hell did I get a Marlin?”

“The wharf.”

Ted’s patience came unglued. “There is no wharf around here!”

Patrons at surrounding tables stopped and stared at the two men. Jerry grabbed Ted by the shoulders and pushed him into a chair leveling a steely gaze on him. “Look if I knew you were going to cavil this much I would have left you at home with the fish, so relax and go with it okay?” Jerry looked over Ted’s shoulder, “They’re here.”

Ted and Jerry stood and turned to face the entrance. The two women coming toward them were indeed attractive; a blond wearing a form fitting turquoise mini dress that clung to every inch of her toned and tanned body was accompanied by a wavy haired brunette wearing a red turtle neck and blue jeans accentuating her ample bust and vivacious hips.

“Kimmie is the one in red” said Jerry from the side of his mouth.

Jerry handed the roses to Ted and gave him a wink. Ted felt like he had entered the twilight zone.

“Hey guys.” said Tina giving Jerry a quick kiss on his lips.

“Hey baby! I gotcha something,” said Jerry pulling a bottle of wine from behind his back.

“Oooh, you’re so romantic,” giggled Tina.

Ted looked at Kimmie shyly pulling the flowers from behind his back. “Umm, these… these are for you.”

Kimmie smiled “They’re beautiful, thank you.”

Jerry and Tina took seats on one side of the table as Ted held a chair for Kimmie then sat down dazedly. Before any conversation could begin, a man stepped up to the table. He was dressed in leather moccasins, brown tights that showed his religion, a green tunic with laces undone at the neck, green sparkly eyeshadow, and a dark green sequined hat sporting a pink feather on one side. The man cocked his hip and rested his hand on it.

“Welcome to the Caviyoné restaurant. Today’s special is a Sherwood Forest Sandwich with a side salad. My name is Robin Hood and I’ll be your waitress today.” Everyone at the table gaped. Robin passed out menus, “Can I take your drink orders?” he asked with his hip cocked again.

“Uh… yeah. Can I have a coffee?” said Jerry uncomfortably as he leaned closer to Tina.

“Can I have a large O.J.?” said Tina, wide-eyed.

Kimmie looked at Ted who shrugged. “With the morning I’ve had this doesn’t surprise me.” Ted turned to the Sequined Prince of Thieves. “I’ll have a 7-Up.”

Kimmie ordered the same.

As Robin sauntered off Jerry asked “What the hell was that?”

“I think that was Robin Hood fairy style.” answered Tina.

“Either that or an equal opportunity historian.” chimed in Kimmie.

Ted just shook his head, “So, can anyone tell me what happened last night?”

Jerry looked at Tina, “Ted has alcohol induced amnesia… he doesn’t remember anything after drinking at the Chief.”

Kimmie looked at Ted with a disheartened expression, “Really?”

“All I know is that I woke up this morning with a hell of a hangover and a 150 lb marlin dozing on my couch. Other than that I haven’t got a clue.”

“Well, I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’m willing to help you dispose of the marlin after lunch.” Kimmie offered.

“Eww, I’m not touching it,” Tina grimaced then turned to Jerry “but I could use some help with this wine later if you’re willing…”

“Sorry Ted, the lady needs my help.” Jerry said with a grin at his friend.

“I’ll take you up on that, thanks.” Ted said as their drinks arrived.
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...And the Poll is up!

This will run for 2 weeks.

Good luck too all entrants!

Very Happy
scissorkitty
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOVED the "sequined prince of thieves".. hilarious!
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A week left to vote. Which is the best Short 'n' Curly?

Very Happy
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last call for votes! Get 'em in quick, the poll will automatically close soon!
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... And we have a winner!

Congratulations to Klafarius who is now 600 fables richer! Clapping

And well done to all our entrants, that was a varied and entertaining bunch of short 'n' curlies! Very Happy

And here are our authors revealed:

1. Scissorkitty
  2. Tikanni Corazon
  3. Tatkret Sos
  4. Smee
  5. Half Empty Hero
  6. Klafarius

Thank you and well done to all the entrants, and thank you everybody for reading and voting! Very Happy
scissorkitty
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job, Klaf! Smile I loved the prince, i'll just say that again. Hilarious! Well played, everyone!
Tikanni Corazon
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Klafarius! Very Happy
It was a great story!

Klafarius
Resident

Topics: 4

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you liked that little taste just wait until I release the whole story! Watch for it to arrive fairly soon in my Tales from Under the Tree!

Tatkret Sos
Resident

Topics: 1

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Klafarius! Very Happy
Poke

Vote for the best Short 'n' Curly!
1. An Elegant Night at Table
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
2. Stuck in a Rut
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
3. Untitled
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
4. Untitled
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
5. Untitled
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
6. A Fish, A Rose, and a Sequined Prince
50%
 50%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 8
Who Voted: Crunchyfrog, Klafarius, Mirel, scissorkitty, Shady Stoat, Smee, Tatkret Sos, The White Blacksmith

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Storygames Home -> The Vault All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: