Search      Members      Groups      Profile      Favorites      RSS      Register      Log in
The Priest (Polling)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

(currently a favorite of )
   Storygames Home -> -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author
Alegria
Honored Citizen

Location: On the beaches with Dr. Suess' Sneeches. Only the star-bellied ones, of course.

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: The Priest (Polling) Reply with quote

Warning: This Storygame is definitely NOT funny, but as it is set in reality, I didn’t know where to put it.

Prolouge

Based on the Song "Hide and Seek"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cpSv2mNhhc

The light filtered into the clearing, illuminating the moths who danced in the breeze, coming close together one second and darting off another. Bird calls sounded through the air along with the ruffling of trees. The night was perfect and beautiful and sad and mournful. The night was wild and passionate and consuming. The silver of the moon made the world shine and turn a gray color. The trees seemed to whisper goodbye and the stars felt like angels singing in a choir. Nature was serenely depressed. The scent of pine came in from the green forest.

The man looked up at the sky from the ground and shouted wordlessly at the sky, at a God he couldn’t see, and at a God that didn’t care. A cold wind blew in from the forest, almost as a punishment for disturbing the beauty and the glory of the night.

The moths scattered as the man ran at them, angry at the dominating world. He spread his arms out to the sky and wept.

God still did not respond.

Desperately, the man started to climb a tree, never letting go of the wood until he reached the top of the ancient oak that dominated the clearing. He crawled out to the end of the branch and leapt off. There was a crunch as his arm broke. He didn’t care. He just stared at the sky and shouted the first thing that came to his mind.

“My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”

The night was silent save for the sound of his desperate sobs. The moths regrouped, the trees rustled, the moon caressed the forest with its silver fingers. The man stood up, holding his arm. He thought of something. It was a dim thought at first, but in time it grew to its full potential. It blossomed out of his lips and rang harshly through the air.

“Am I being punished? Is there no salvation from my sins against you? What must I do for redemption? Why did you take her away from me?”

Angered by the silence of God the man turned away to look at the once-Eden that was this clearing. It was perfect, but not to him. Nothing could be perfect or happy again. He looked through the feeling for some compassion and found none. The night was unconcerned with him, self-important in its own glory and passion, a glory and passion that was not wasted, a glory and passion that was used by others, had once been used by him. He thought for a moment and looked to his God again, looking to the cold stars.

“By God we could have had it! We could have had the dream! We had the house and the car and the money! We had it all! We had each other! Don’t You care that I want to die? Don’t I care that I want to die?”

The rustling leaves breathed God’s answer. Nothing. The man walked to the body under the oak tree, silent tears falling on her face.

“No, You don’t care a bit.”

He stood there for a moment and leaned over to kiss the corpse on the lips, wetting her face with his tears. He then realized he was half-naked like an animal and put on his black shirt and white collar, not caring as it went over his broken arm. He walked towards the town and resolved never to look up to the sky again.

A cloud covered the moon and quickly clouds covered the stars, too. It started to rain upon the little clearing. The moths fluttered to the trees to find shelter and the leaves stopped rustling as the tears of God fell upon the earth.

-Friedrich Dürrenmatt

Last edited by Alegria on Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:15 am; edited 8 times in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Author
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was, indeed, dark and gloomy and emotional. I suppose it's a prologue, so I'll wait for more. It'll be interesting to see how you weave this thread into your knitting.
Author
NeverNeverGirl
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yes! Welcome to HEM!

That was really well written - i cant wait to see where you take this!

*sits trying not to fidget*
Author

Items

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey
Im new and i just read your story
Its great, fab and kwl
but why does it have a dark side will he get better?

I cant wait till you write some more!!!!!!!Smile
Author
Alegria
Honored Citizen

Location: On the beaches with Dr. Suess' Sneeches. Only the star-bellied ones, of course.

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but I honestly don't know if I'll keep this one.

I wrote it on a whim and I don't think I can nurture another sg along with uriel and RIB.

I like this idea, but I think I'm going to let this one slip past mostly unnoticed and save it for later....

Check out my other SGs, though. They're in Fantasy and SciFi.

-Friedrich Dürrenmatt

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Author
scissorkitty
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this one, Alegria! It's a different kind of tale.. it's always nice to stretch your writing legs and tackle something different. What brought this story into your brain?

.. this is the area for experimental stuff anyway, right? So... on you go then! Very Happy
Author
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all the three you have running at the moment, this is the one I like the best.

(Not that I don't think the others are good, it is just I think this one has the edge.)

I hope you find the inspiration to continue it.

Smile
Author
Alegria
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The inspiration isn't lacking, it's the time.

However, I think I shall continue to post on this one, since Uriel and RIB seem to be in a slump right about now....

-Friedrich Dürrenmatt

Author
Alegria
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I think I finally ironed out what I really wanted this SG to "have"

See the new link at the top of the prologue? Click it. It's a link to the song this chapter is "based on."

Right click it and choose "open link in new window" Then, minimize the new window as the music video plays and read. You may want to turn the sound down so it's just background music.

Got it? Read on!

-Friedrich Dürrenmatt

Author
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I see what you mean now about using music, although you did not use it in the DP. It's sort of an ambience thing. Sometimes, however, music distracts people from what they are reading, because they need a lot of silence. Others, however, can tolerate it while they read. The beauty is that the music is optional, so it works either way.
Author
Alegria
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically the readers will nominate songs (within a certain genre) to "base" the next chapter upon. Each song has a different mood and affects how the chapter will come out. e.g. if a reader wants a happier chapter, they nominate a happier song. If a sad song is desired, a sad song is decided upon and so on.

-Friedrich Dürrenmatt

Author
Jack_D.Mented
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I've read this, I am even more insistent that you continue. I want to see where you go with this well written idea.

Abattoir Chapter 2!
Author
Phantomfan
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I F5 Jack's comment- write more!

I think the idea of the songs are interesting, but may be hard to pull off

Here's some stuff I started writing a long time ago. Orb. Nexus.
Author
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So can I nominate a song for the DP? In your other thread in the Open forum you say it should be a song without lyrics, so I'm guessing it should just be a piece of music that we vote for you to write by?

Here's an example Danse Macabre

so if there are any other nominations we all listen to the nominations then vote?
Author
Alegria
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooh, I like this.

Oh, if you could all follow Crunchy's example and put a link on your post, that would be great!!!

Also, as I said in the Open Forum, since not everyone here speaks English and I don't speak anything but English, please try to make the songs ones without lyrics. Anything classical is good (can't beat Mozart), but I personally think that some of the best writing music is from the composers of the 20th century (Holst, Gershwin, Edgar, etc...)

Please give more music suggestions.

-Friedrich Dürrenmatt

Author
Jack_D.Mented
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3iAzdbg3mo

It's Injection by Hans Zimmer.

Abattoir Chapter 2!
Author
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Carlos NUÑEZ and his galician flute.[/url]
Author
Alegria
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, well I really want to write the first chapter of what already seems to be a promising SG, so, without further ado, The poll is up.

-Friedrich Dürrenmatt

Author
Alegria
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the poll is closed. I'm going to try to put out the real first chapter next week.

See you then

*runs off to write a good first chapter and download Danse Macabre to his iPod*

-Friedrich Dürrenmatt

Author
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, wow, I missed the poll, I can't believe it. Although I probably would have voted for the Danse Macabre anyway.
Author
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed the result! Which option won?
Author
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
*runs off to write a good first chapter and download Danse Macabre to his iPod*

I believe Danse Macabre did. I downloaded it too, it's a good piece.
Author
Alegria
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm very excited to work on this next chapter.

I'm really trying to make this SG not just a story, but a peice of art. My goal is to combine pictures, words, and music in a way never before done in an SG, even to a greater extent than I have with Rhapsody in Blue (which is itself an experiment with text colors and sounds)

Anywhoo, be looking for things in this SG such as symbolism and juxtaposition, maybe even a few recurring motifs.

I'm excited!

-Friedrich Dürrenmatt

Author
Alegria
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter 1

Based on Saint-Sans' Danse Macabre

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csJJIp7jCYA

New Year’s Eve, 1919

The dancers arrived.

They looked about the clearing, found friends to laugh with, sought enemies to cordially despise. They talked about their hopes for the next year, their regrets over the past year, and their joy in the present. They gazed at the magnificent, imposing oak in the center of the glade and complemented the hostess on the decorations, namely the lanterns.

The lanterns floated in the breeze, suspended by thin wires from the mighty oak. They sought to beat against the night, to dispel, to destroy. The night did not care. The night never cared. Tonight it seemed gay and quick, light and refreshing. The night itself was preparing for a new year, for a new decade. Moths flocked about the lanterns in droves, clinging to the light. Birds settled in their nests, waiting for the sun to spring forth upon the New Year, to begin the year’s first battle for life. The wind picked up a little and rustled the lanterns, as if to establish nature’s authority over such petty contrivances.

The dancers came in groups, in couples, alone. One could easily pick out who the richest among the revelers, who preened and fidgeted with their beautiful masks, from the poorest, whom also preened, trying desperately to be noticed. Finally, at eight o’clock exactly, the band warmed up and the dancing began.

The colors! The sounds! The sights! The women’s dresses swirled about their legs, sometimes showing an ankle or even a calf, looking to God like so many moths floating about the clearing. The men blended into the night in their black suits, their stark white shirts and faces the only parts of their bodies visible. They flew, they glided, they mimicked the subtle dance performed by the real moths clustered about the tear-drop shaped lanterns.

Into the clearing strolled a tall man, resplendent in his own tuxedo, with his wife, who wore a midnight blue gown with black trim, grateful for the long sleeves and high neck of her dress, and even more hopeful that some dancing would warm her up further. With them was their son, a young man, uncomfortable in his tuxedo. His face flushed with excitement. Father had never let him go to a dance before! Dancing was not something for a future priest to be engaging in lightly. Before his arrival, the boy had been lectured on exactly how close he could hold a girl and for how long. He looked up into his mother’s eyes, which were hidden by her butterfly-shaped mask.

“Mama, what should I do now?”

The woman laughed lightly and pointed flippantly to a gaggle of giggling girls. “Ask one of them for a dance, dear. Who knows, you may sweep one of the little things off of her feet.”

The boy looked at the girls with a frightened expression.

His father looked at his son’s apprehension approvingly; then turned to his wife. “Would you like to dance, dearest?”

The wife looked longingly at a group of woman a few feet away, talking animatedly. “Would you mind me saying hello to my friends first?” The boy sighed. Grown-up stuff. He walked over to the group of girls his mother had pointed out, albeit slowly.

Hardly noticeable, a hard look came into the father’s eyes. “I asked you for a dance, my dear. You can talk afterwards.” He sounded stiffly formal.

The woman bowed her butterfly-face. “Of course, dearest. I would love to dance with you.”

They were suddenly off, joining in the confusion, the colors, the fun! They drifted under the limbs of the imposing tree for a moment of two, then swiftly glided away. They seemed set apart in the celebration. Not many people came to dance by them and chat over their partner’s shoulders. The man and his wife were singular. By virtue of her mask, they became a swirling butterfly in a host of dancing moths.

“I do not like you giving our son undue thoughts about sweeping girls off of their feet. What if he should actually try to? He will be a priest. He can’t afford to become involved with women like that.”

“There’s no rule against priests marrying, dear. They just can’t know each other.”

The man looked at her, ghosts of the past flickering over his face. “We tried that, remember? We found it impossible.” His face was heavy and dark.

His wife nodded, but then let out a gay, lilting laugh. “This is a dance. You should try to be less grave.”

The husband scowled. “You should try to be less flippant.”

They danced through the entire conversation, a swirl of black, white, and midnight blue that only God could see from above. Above their heads, a flock of moths floated about. A singular moth broke off from the group and flitted over to the couple’s son and swooped over his head, causing the girls near him to shriek and giggle with delight.

The girls would stare at the boy and suddenly gather up and start to whisper and giggle. This had occurred several times in the last few minutes and left the boy feeling very nervous. Finally, one of the girls broke out of the group (or was the pushed forward? The boy couldn’t be sure) and approached the boy. He swallowed. His throat felt dry, and no small wonder. All the moisture in his body was going to his palms, which were now quite slick and clammy. The boy stepped backwards.

The girl advanced.
The boy retreated.

The girl advanced again.

Cowed, the boy retreated once again.

The slowly made their way like this to the center of the clearing, dancing in a way, to the oak tree itself, which the boy suddenly found his back against. He looked to either side for an avenue of escape. He could find none.

Suddenly, he was saved by the voice of an angel.

“Well, aren’t you going to dance?”

He turned around to face the girl who had spoken. It was not the voice of the girl whom he had been fleeing from, but instead came from his left.

He saw a dream. She was the most beautiful thing he’d ever seen. The girl was tall and slender, but not too skinny. She had beautiful mahogany hair, perched upon her head in an elegant bun. Her skin was fair, almost luminescent. Flowing in interesting contours about her body was her dress, a sea-foam green marvel that began to flare out at the bottom, but was suddenly taken back in, creating the shape of a large teardrop. The effect was dazzling. Her face was hidden behind a mask in the shape of a Luna Moth. Her legs and arms were a little long, but that was due to the perils of growth. Two breasts were barely forming, just starting to fill out her dress’ beautiful bust.

The boy was suddenly conscious of his too large hands, his rapidly growing feet, his too long hair, his too shabby suit. He stammered as he spoke, his stumbling words a stark contrast to her fluid, liquid voice. “I…I don’t like to dance…”

The girl looked at him with a strange look, made even stranger by her immobile mask. The boy felt the need to respond.

“What I meant to say was… I… don’t know how to dance.”

The girl stepped forwards. The boy did not retreat. He just stood with his back against the great tree. Before he knew what was happening, the angel had slipped her hand in his and gently guided his hand to her waist.

And they danced.

They joined the swirling mass about the tree, out-dancing everything but the moths by the lanterns. To the boy it seemed that even God smiled upon their dancing. He got closer and closer and closer to her. He could smell her clean hair; he could breathe her intoxicating presence. A moth quietly alighted on her shoulder. She did not flinch, she did not even seem to notice. They just stared at each other, his hazel eyes meeting twin pools of sea-foam green. The couple glided past the boy’s parents. The boy didn’t even notice.

The boy’s father did, however. His head snapped to the dancing couple violently. He looked back at his wife, who was also watching their son. She subtly smiled with the grace and charm of a rich woman, though she was anything but. “How sweet. Our little boy may find the pleasures of a woman yet.”

The father slapped her with his words. “Don’t speak of such things, you strumpet. Our boy is to be a priest as my father was. He will never know a woman.” With that hit the man tore away from his wife and went after his son.

The dance swirled about the family and their problems. The birds were fast asleep in their nests and the night flitted joyfully through the oak’s branches. The hostess laughed and the musician played a wild, fast waltz. The couple pirouetted across the cool ground as everyone waited for a new year to dawn.

The host looked at his watch. It was eleven o’clock.

The man found his son. He reached, he grabbed, he separated, he ripped. The boy heard his bond with the moth-girl being torn asunder, and realized with horror that it was a piece of her delicate gown. “I… I’m sorry,” he shouted, though whether it was directed towards the girl, his father, or God none could tell.

“It’s okay,” the angel beamed. She pointed to the fragment of cloth in his hand. “Keep it to remember me by.”

The father, disgusted started to pull his son away from the girl, away from the boughs of the oak tree, away from the tear-drop lantern, away from the moths.

The boy shouted over his shoulder. “I’m Jonathan!”

The girl smiled and called back. “Rosaline!”

Suddenly, she was gone and the boy was being pulled and shoved and jostled and beaten on all sides by the swirling mob. He started to cry silently without knowing quite why. The night suddenly seemed deep and dark and oppressively somber. God stared down from Heaven, accusingly.

Then the boy was back by his mother, who was hesitantly gathering her coat to leave. When she saw him, she spread out her arm, her coat hanging down and giving her blue wings. The boy ran and embraced his butterfly-mother, crying. He pressed his head against her soft, welcoming bosom and found no relief in her cushioned body.

The family walked home as the dancer started to sing Auld Lang Syne.

For the boy, the New Year had begun with tears.

DP

What music will the next chapter be based upon? Please nominate a peice that is classical/classical sounding. Anything instrumental will work, or if a work has words but is just extraordinary, feel free to nominate that peice. Please post a link to a video of your desired song with your nomination.

-Friedrich Dürrenmatt

Last edited by Alegria on Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Author
Alegria
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FIRST POST!!!! WOOOO!!!

What do you mean it doesn't count for me???

Ok, fine. first post on the chapter has yet to be claimed...

Anyways, if you'd like to do an in-depth critique of this SG (which would be much appreciated), please follow this link:

http://www.cityofif.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130235#130235

Thank you.

Now get to posting!!!

-Friedrich Dürrenmatt

Author
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One could easily pick out who the richest among the revelers, who preened and fidgeted with their beautiful masks, from those who the poorest, whom also preened and tried desperately to be noticed.

That sentence needs some slight fixing.

I'm not sure I understand that significance of the Butterfly/moth symbolism yet, but I'm sure it'll find a way to explain itself. The narrative pace, btw, was excellent, and timed to perfection. I finished reading almost on time with the song finishing. The short, brief sentences intermingled with the longer sentences create a waltzy ambience similar to the one in the song.

Quote:
God stared down from Heaven, accusingly.

I found these kind of statements too pervasive throughout the chapter. I don't like the simple anthropomorphic gestures of this omiscient, ever watchful God. He seems more like a judgmental Big Brother more than anything, watching in pleasure or displeasure at the actions of his little pets. I think you can avoid or improve this aspect of the story.

Also, this is my nomination for the song: Paco de Lucia's Entre Dos Aguas.
Author
Phantomfan
Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!!

Lessee- a song?
How about You- by Evanescence ?

Here's some stuff I started writing a long time ago. Orb. Nexus.
Author
Alegria
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D, please repost that link, it's to a removed video.

-Friedrich Dürrenmatt

Author
D-Lotus
Venerable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure? It works fine for me. But here is an alternate link anyway. If you can use the first one I advise you do, since it has better sound quality.
Author
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. It really works, doesn't it! I felt as though I was skipping through the words, reading in time with the music. The music picked out the subtle stresses coming from the parents and the boy's own inhibitions. The vision of the moths and the background of dancing for me gave an enhanced depth to the overall mood of the scene. As D pointed out, you paced it very well with each section of the piece, although I think I finished a little ahead of it all, probably because the music was urging me to speed-read. But you really wove your words and the music together to achieve a briliant effect IMO.

Excellent! Clapping

I shall read it again without the music and see what difference it makes, but I know what kind of piece I want for the DP next. La Mer - Jeux de vagues, by Debussy

(edit to add:) If you have trouble with that one try this version - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=a2udZdSWXyE

(edit again:) Just tried D's first link and it worked fine for me too. Maybe it was just a temporary blip?

Just checked out Phanto's suggestion too. I don't think we could get 3 more different options if we tried! Very Happy
Author
Alegria
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all. I would like to nominate one of my own, actually.

I nominate Jupiter, Bringer of Jollity by Gustav Holst (as performed by the Osaka Orchestra)

By the way, I'd like to use some of the things said here for advertising purposes, if you all don't mind.

-Friedrich Dürrenmatt

Author
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, I wondered when that one would come up, especially when you mentioned Holst earlier. Very Happy

And now I'm in a dilemma about what to vote for after hearing all 4 of them. Confused

Do I vote for the tune I like best or for the mood I think the follow-on chapter should take?

Decisions decisions.... Smile
Author
Alegria
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do I vote for the tune I like best or for the mood I think the follow-on chapter should take?

Well the second one's the general idea. Very Happy

-Friedrich Dürrenmatt

Author
Alegria
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the poll is now up! Come and vote, my friends!

-Friedrich Dürrenmatt

Author
Bookwizard
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I only meant to read a bit of this but it really sucked me in, very well done, bravo and great idea. As for the song for the next chapter, as much as I like Jupiter (Uranus, The Magician being my favorite but all of them being just plain great) I think that La Mer will fit the mood flow of the story much better. Well looking forward to the next chapter.

Author
Lord Byron
Resident

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Idea. Very Happy

England Prevails! ‡

92% of all teens like rap. Copy this and paste it into your profile if you are part of the 8% with taste.

Obama can keep his change, I'll keep my guns, my religion, and my Freedom.
Author
Alegria
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*blasts air horn*

Polls are closed. The winner is:

Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity

Be looking for the next chapter soon (as soon as I have some time)[/url]

-Friedrich Dürrenmatt

Author
Alegria
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm really sorry the new chapter isn't up now, RL has been attacking in the form of college scholarships, mild depression, and theatre. Sad

THEY NEVER END!!!!

Luckily, I am going to be in Austin doing nothing for a few days, so expect the new chapter out by the end of the week.

About time, huh?

-Friedrich Dürrenmatt

Author
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alegria wrote:

About time, huh?

About time! Smile
Author
TillDeath
Visitor

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this story! How he blames God, hopefully he'll understand the way things are meant to be. Wow dancing, please please continue with it. I know someone who really likes what you wrote and she'll be there next week to answer and critique. Very Happy
Author
Alegria
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter 2

Based on Gustav Holst’s Jupiter the Bringer of Jollity from the Planets Suite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B49N46I39Y

Summer, 1929

A flap of wings. The flitting moths fluttered frantically to their daytime abodes.

A flap of wings. The triumphant butterflies loped lazily into the reign of dawn.

The sun broke above the horizon, touching the world with its rose fingertips. Wind brushed through the leaves of the great oak in the clearing. Birds chirped incessantly, lending their silver songs to the coming day—a day that would know only joy.

The heat of the sun wiped away the tears of the night as the dew silently evaporated. The butterflies danced about the leaves and the breeze, going nowhere, doing nothing. The day was magnificent, unending, confident. The rays advanced onward.

The light slowly crept up the walls of the buildings in the town. Those few who were awake breathed in and enjoyed a brilliant display of color. Brick by brick, the houses, the stores, the banks were illuminated. The bricks seemed to shine. The butterflies flew around the steeple of the church and nestled in the priest’s garden flowers.

The alarm clock rang, its shrill note blaring, waking the boy. The boy’s mother called his name. He got out of bed, dressed, and walked down stairs. His father sat reading the paper and looked up to greet the boy. The boy did not meet his eyes and the father went back to his newspaper. The father left to go to work at the bank. The boy ate silently, got up from the table, and opened the door.

As the boy walked down the street, he noticed a certain order to the town. The blacksmith worked on horseshoes, swinging his hammer up and down. The children ran in the street as always. The cars on the street passed by slowly, their horns letting out comical noises. The people went in and out of shops, looking to buy or sell. Many were just coming out of their homes to greet the new day.

Fifteen seemed a wonderful age for the boy, the perfect age to experience days when blacksmiths worked and children rand and horns honked and people shopped. Nature’s pulse seemed to fill the boy. The other teenager of the town called for him. “Jonathan,” they shouted. The boy smiled and went over to them.

Together, the boys crept about, pulling pranks on the schoolteachers, swiping a few cantaloupes from a melon patch. Only the boy’s families were out of danger, by virtue of blood alone. Robert, the one with the blond hair was especially adamant over the priest, Jonathan’s grandfather.

At ten o’clock, the sun woke the girl. She sighed and got out of the comfortable bed. Fussing as always, the maid came into the room to make up the bed as the girl dressed. She pulled on a light pink dress and smiled. She dabbed lipstick and rogue on her lips and cheeks and smiled. She kissed her mother and father when they came into her room, and prepared to leave the house for the day.

The driver pulled the car around and she got into the back seat with many a “Good morning, Miss Rosaline” and far too many a “Can I help you with anything, Miss Rosaline?” She smiled sweetly at all of them and told the driver to go into town and, once there, to let her go off on her own and to enjoy a nice day at the bar. The driver smiled.

The car pulled away from the girl’s house—a stately white two-story house with columns in front, one of the only houses in the area to have survived the Civil War. The car sped along the newly paved, tree-lined road. Finally, the vehicle arrived at the town. She alighted and narrowly missed being hit by a speeding car. Her car sped off after the driver made sure she was okay. She heard a man shout and looked around.

The group teenage boys were sneaking away from a lawn. In that lawn was a man who was staring at his rosebush, shouting. All the roses were gone but one, and ever sneaking boy had a flower in their hands. Once they were far enough away from the man, they found the nearest girls their age they could and gave them the flowers, smiling and speaking softly into their ears. The girls giggled. All the boys had given their flowers away but Jonathan, who looked nervously into the street.

Miss Rosaline looked into the street.

Their eyes met, their gazes penetrating each other’s souls in the way only a child’s gaze can, but thinking of each other in ways only adults can. The boy didn’t say a word, he simply left his friends and began to walk across the street to the girl. The girl did the same. The boy’s friends made catcalls and whistles, mocking their friend. The girl blushed, a pretty rose flush covering her cheeks. He smiled at her and she smiled back. On impulse, she spun in the street, laughing. The boy smiled broadly and the couple continued their pas de duex towards each other. Finally, they were within speaking distance. The girl smiled and held out her hand. Her voice was as liquid and flowing as when the boy had first seen her and the New Year’s Eve dance in the clearing all those years ago.

“Jonathan, how nice to see you.”

The boy took her hand. “How wonderful to see you, Miss Roussard.”

She smiled and whispered. “Call me Rosaline, please.”

The boy nodded and started to lead her away. “Shall we go, Rosaline?” The girl nodded and the couple walked down the street to the outskirts of town.

When they had finally reached the oak in the old clearing, they stopped. The girl sat between two of the old, twisted roots, which seemed almost made to be a seat. The boy sat on the ground beside her. A butterfly sped towards them and alighted on the boy, bringing with it a thought. Father would not want me to be a lone with a girl like this. The boy quickly brushed the thought and the butterfly away though, as the girl began to speak as the boy unpacked a picnic lunch.

“I love it out here, so close to the rest of nature. Can you hear the birds?” The boy nodded and stretched. The girl left her perch on the roots and sat beside the boy. They did not speak for a while. They did not have to. The weather was perfect, the birds chirped, the leaves rustled in the wind. The breeze cooled the children’s skin, she smell of wildflowers and grasses came to them. The girl lightly rested her head on the crux where the boy’s arm and body met. In that moment, even nature seemed pleased with the couple, sending a small squirrel to scurry by the couple. The girl’s lips parted in awe. The boy smiled. The notions of priesthood and God seemed distant, almost unreal. In that clearing, nothing existed but Jonathan, Rosaline, and nature. The boy glanced at the girl who glanced back up at him.

“You know, we’ve been together for almost five years now in secret. Not doing anything, just together, sitting here.” Her voice was quiet and pensive, not demanding, not pleading. “For just once I would to know the taste of your lips.” She fell silent again.

The boy looked at the sky and thought about his grandfather, about his mother, about God, about his father. In that moment, they all seemed dim. They all existed only in his mind. Unsurely, cautiously, he let them all go, every single one of them, ever piece of advice or instruction they had ever given him was gone.

And he kissed her.

Their lips met and nature seemed to resound with the sounds of the rustling leaves and the singing birds and the day seemed magnificent and magical. The leaves seemed greener and the girl’s dress seemed pinker. The boy’s hand went to the back of her head and her hand went to his face. They lay in the sun until the sun began to disappear. Then, without a word, but with many looks, they walked back into the town.

DP

What music will the next chapter be based upon? Please nominate a piece that is classical/classical sounding. Anything instrumental will work, or if a work has words but is just extraordinary, feel free to nominate that piece. Please post a link to a video of your desired song with your nomination.

-Friedrich Dürrenmatt

Author
Alegria
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick note on the music for this chapter, I stopped writing after the Jupiter chorale (the slow part in the middle) because I thought that would be the best place to stop for storytelling purposes. Hope you aren't mad (I can add on more if you want)

-Friedrich Dürrenmatt

Author
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, very very good. Interesting how you have the moths dispersing from the previous chapter, yet the scene opens 10 years later. A sort of ghost of a memory, almost, something that has stayed with Jonathan all these years. You captured the opening part of the music very well.

Jupiter always sends a shiver down my back and perhaps it is because the piece evokes different feelings and visuals for me than your chapter that I lost the connection between the writing and the music when they got up on the hill. I felt that the music was just a little too powerful for their delicate relationship, although the slow part did embody his sudden abandonment of everything his upbringing stood for rather well.

Although I don't think this was as outstanding as Chapter 1 it was still an awesome chapter, and you wove the sound and the written word together very well.

I'm going to put forward Jeux de Mer by Debussy again - partly because of the variety of moods in there should be interesting, and partly because after 45 minutes of looking I couldn't find a decent recording of Ravel's Bolero (which was the other one I had in mind!) - but perhaps someone else could suggest that one, or maybe for a later DP.

Bravo!

And nominated for SGOTM. Good luck! Very Happy
Author
Alegria
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crunchy, I love Bolero. I found a Youtube vid, but it wasn't good quality.

Also, I have another request. If you can find a version under 8 minutes long to post of your song, that would be great. I can't write a chapter based on 20 minutes of music. You try that.

-Friedrich Dürrenmatt

Author
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Bolero really 20 minutes long? Good grief no wonder I could only find truncated recordings. Jeux de Mer is just under 7 mins, but I'll keep in mind the length of these things going forward! Very Happy
Author
Alegria
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no, Bolero isn't 20 minutes long, I'm just saying that if someone wants to nominate something like Rhapsody in Blue (16:20) or Requiem in D (25:32), find a condensed version, please.

-Friedrich Dürrenmatt

Author
Reiso
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to confess that I read without listening to the music, but the writing definitely holds up well on its own. I'll have to go back and re-read it with the music later before I can submit a piece for the next bit, but I just wanted to say well done, Alegria! Highly enjoyable.

Sector 17 -- Rebuilding... ... ...

In the desert
I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
Who, squatting upon the ground,
Held his heart in his hands,
And ate of it.
I said, "Is it good, friend?"
"It is bitter--bitter," he answered;
"But I like it
Because it is bitter
And because it is my heart."  -- Stephen Crane
Author
DeadManWalking
Duke of the Mostly Dead

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty cool Idea Leggie! No nominations for songs, sadly, as classical-sounding isn't really my forte, unless you want something from a musical. And other people on the site can do better songs than that.
Author
Bookwizard
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am continued to be amazed by the spectacular bond between the art of music and literature. I t really is quite an experience to read something and realize the music is almost perfectly atoned to what you are reading, very interesting. I do partially agree with crunchy, Jupiter evokes a great deal of emotions, its a bit of a more "imposing" song then others if you know what I mean. Thats why I didn't vote for it in the last DP, but all the same just as good as ever, very impressive.

As for the song this time around I think Isunova Pi or Raptamei Pi just for a change of feeling, its been to jolly lately Wink. The songs are technically classified under electronic, but the E.S. Posthumus songs have a very unique feeling to them, somehow caught between cinematic, electronic, and classical.

Author
Alegria
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooh, I like all the suggestions. And Crunchy, if I can find a good quality version of Bolero, I'll nominate it, but it's proving... difficult to find...

-Friedrich Dürrenmatt

Author
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to worry if you can't, Just stick Jeux de Mer in as an option again!

Smile
Author
Alegria
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'll go ahead and say it--

I nominate Ravel's Bolero

The vid isn't the best quality, but it's still ok.

Poll is up![/url]

-Friedrich Dürrenmatt

Author
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me a very long time to decide. I love Debussy. I love Ravel. But I've gone for one of the Posthumus ones this time. Simply because it is different from the rest, and the electronic feel gives it a sense of uniformity throughout that we've not experienced up to now, and it will be interesting what effect it has on the chapter.

Leggy, whichever one wins, can I suggest that you keep hold of the links that don't win, and add them to suggestions for future polls if need be. I think all of them hold potential for future chapters, or future storygames of this type, even. Smile
Author
Alegria
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea, Crunchy. Thanks

-Friedrich Dürrenmatt

Author
Bookwizard
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it seems the E.S. Posthumus songs seem to be pretty popular, didn't really expect that, I'll have to submit some of their better songs later on...

Author
Alegria
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, to solve this tie, now that I am ready to begin writing again, I shall message Smee...

-Friedrich Dürrenmatt

Author
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm , I'm not greatly musical, and neither does YouTube want to load at work. But I'll have a listen this evening and vote then.
Author
Alegria
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, soooo...

Smee has not voted yet and I am eager to get back to writing, so I'll just take out my vote. That makes Isunova Pi the winner!

See you guys on the other side!

-Friedrich Dürrenmatt

Author
Alegria
Honored Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry this is taking so long, but Isunova is proving a little difficult to get into this story. I can't stop thinking of some kind of adventure through Egypt or something like that. Any ideas?

-Friedrich Dürrenmatt

Author
Crunchyfrog
Honorable IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not this is the first chance of total silence I've had for weeks to listen to this, and I see what you mean about the Egyptian adventure.

Unfortunately the 'easy listening' aspect of of this piece kind of makes it difficult for events to happen like you did with their eyes meeting in the last chapter, and the dance aspect of the one before that.

The best imagery I could come up with was dramatic landscapes from the air, particularly ruins of ancient monuments from numerous cultures. The choral effects keep the theme of religious path mapped out for this character's life, so perhaps this is a journey chapter. There is definitely a 'landing point' somewhere near the end of the work, followed by a short climax bringing us to the end of the piece.

We'd be in the 1930's - 1940's now I guess, so passenger air travel would be a really BIG DEAL, and if he were travelling it would have to be a place that he could only get to by air.

Hope that helps somewhat, and doesn't destroy any other idearium seedlings that may be germinating!

(editz to add )- duh, could be a train. Anyways, to sum it up it was travel through/above dramatic landscapes, and ruined monuments. Good luck with the writing whatever way it goes, can't wait to read it! Smile
Author
Bookwizard
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*eagerly waits for next chapter*

I'm inclined to agree with Crunchy on this one in regards to the idea of a "journey". Though I would like to add that it could also amount to a more spiritual journey or change of beliefs, change of perception... A realization, and so on. As we have seen in this SG before music can certainly be tied into emotion as much as imagery! Just my thoughts... Looking forward to what you come up with!

Author
Amichan
Treasurer

Location: RL:Roseboro, NC./ IF: Retuning from a long journey in the land of OFF

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've missed a lot on this one but i'll have to read this over more this does look very interesting
Author
Smee
Revered IFian

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alegria had to leave organising the IFY's a few months ago because of RL stuff - I wouldn't hold your breath for a chapter any time soon.

I'm sure he'll be happy to see your comments though.
Author
Bookwizard
Respected Citizen

Items
Legends
Fables
Strata-gems

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh... I had noticed he was gone... though I attributed that to my lack of observation Smile

Which song for chapter 3?
Jeux de Mer- Debussy
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Isunova Pi- E.S. Posthumus
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Bolero- Ravel
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Raptamei Pi- E.S. Posthumus
40%