Storygames Home City of IF
Free online storygaming

Line of Kavanagh
Click here to go to the original topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Storygames Home -> Storygames: Fantasy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andolyn

Location: sitting barefoot in a tree in the beautiful land of Ardara, writing my tales...

Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject:  

Thank you, Thunder. Portrait art is probably some of my favorite. something about the human face fascinates me. especially eyes. =)

alrighty, given the number of options Thunder gave us, i'm going to go ahead and poll.
D-Lotus

Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject:  

Somehow it doesn't seem like a smart call by Willand to wear those trophies while he's on missions-- it alerts everyone to his presence. Nice follow up to your 1st part, though.

I hope we see some more women characters; so far there is Andolyn as the center of attention and a constellation of men seeking her. This preponderance of men-- it seems to be indicative of an impulse to at once contain and protect femininity. It'd be interesting to see how another woman could destabilize the current psychological structure of your story.
Vishal Muralidharan

Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject:  

Ah.. Spade was exactly how I imagined him to be! Good work to me.. and you! :P

Spade's clothes also immediately popped into my mind, a blue and white stuff... but we'll forget that I said it.

VOTED ! :cool:
Thunderbird

Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject:  

I like D's suggestion regarding another female character thrown into the mix. Nefarious, but clever.
D-Lotus

Posted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:36 am    Post subject:  

Thunderbird wrote: I like D's suggestion regarding another female character thrown into the mix. Nefarious, but clever.

Would it be overstatement to say that you read my comments on a chapter just as closely as the chapter itself? :tung:
Thunderbird

Posted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject:  

I pay attention to most of what's said, even in the commentary. I'm not isolating you out... you just happen to say some very interesting things ;)
Andolyn

Location: sitting barefoot in a tree in the beautiful land of Ardara, writing my tales...

Posted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject:  

haha fear not, guys. there will be other females. they wont be the focal point of the plot, but they will be there. the action will mainly center around our 3 companions, but they will interact with many colorful characters. haha!
Tikanni Corazon

Location: Running through the plains of my mind, my wolf spirit at my side (but doing so in the UK!).

Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject:  

Though I'm a little late for the suggestion phase, I thought I'd give this a read through anyway, as it has had some very good comments... and they are comments well deserved. I'm liking this story so far. :)

One thing I will say, and I think Pope already mentioned it, was that she did seem a little too trusting of Spade and Barden. I think she would be more than a little hesitant of these men, who, prior to mere minutes before, she's never met. I know I would, and I'm not being hunted down by every Tom, Dick and Harry on the Prince's payroll. ;) But that is just my opinion, and, despite said opinion, it is still looking to be a very good tale. And the artwork is cool too. I look forward to seeing where this story is going. :)

A very belated welcome to IF, Andolyn! May you find as much joy on the site as I have! :)
Andolyn

Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject:  

thank you, very much! =) as sort of an explanation for her trusting nature, i'll let you in on a little secret. Andolyn is a direct representation of myself ((haha shocking, i know...)) i am trusting to a fault most of the time. i am quick to get a feel for someone's intentions and trust them completely as soon as i do. it makes no sense, but that's how our relationship was born in real life. we met, and were instantly closer than family. there will be several things in the course of the story that might be a little off from what you would usually expect, but i tried to keep it as close to the reality as i could. of course, the physical danger wasnt there, but the emotions and relationships are all completely real.
D-Lotus

Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject:  

Of course. As JL Borges said, all literature is autobiographical.
Andolyn

Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject:  

Looks like you all are going to make her play the damsel...ah, well. ;) here we go!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No more. Andolyn would not see another of her citizens die at the hand of this wicked man, Willand—least of all the men that had just saved her life—even if it meant taking a life for the first time. It had come to this. Her saviors and companions—she would even venture to say friends were in terrible danger. Their playful noise at the fire was keeping them from hearing his approach. Willand was not using his usual head on tactic, so the men had no chance of survival; she would not sit by. Spade and Barden would not become sickening trophies on Willand’s belt. Not if Andolyn could help it.

Silently, the girl placed herself next to a small hole in Spade’s old canvas tent. As silent as the death he brought, Willand slid into the little camp and headed straight for the backs of the unsuspecting men at the fire. Honor meant nothing to this man as long as the job was done. He would end their lives from behind then find the princess. He was already preparing. He waited for the perfect timing to release the spikes he already held in his raised hand. Barden and Spade knew nothing of the impending doom that stood a mere ten feet behind them.

Andolyn rushed out the tent flap, placing herself defensively between her friends and the deadly attacker.

"Barden! Spade!" she cried as she ran. Her heart raced and time seemed to stand still for what seemed like an eternity. There she was, standing with her arms out to her sides before the man who had haunted her nightmares for two long years. An evil grin crossed his face.

Barden and Spade were on their feet in an instant. A wicked hiss escaped Spade's lips as he recognized the man on the other side of the camp. A flash of recognition crossed Willand's face as well. How much he's changed...the man thought. Barden, slightly taken aback by his friend's reaction, paused momentarily before racing forward with his broadsword raised.

Willand, no longer having the element of surprise on his side, pulled out a small sword of his own and faced off against the oncoming bard. While the two of them wheeled round and round--Willand keeping close watch on Andolyn's whereabouts--Spade reached for the princess's arm and gently pulled her behind him, shielding her with his body. He didn't particularly like the lustful look in the assassin's eye when it fell on the girl...

Barden was thoroughly enjoying the still ongoing battle he was having with Willand and was therefore not even trying to defeat him. Spade was more than happy to let his friend have the fun. Spade was slightly more wary about the situation. This was not his first run in with the assassin. He kept one hand on his deck of cards, and the other firmly on the arm of the trembling girl behind him.

Suddenly, when Willand was becoming bored with the scuffle between himself and Barden, he darted below Barden's arm and rushed on Spade and Andolyn. Barden narrowly missed a deadly blow to the ribs with a knife by rolling out of the way. Despite his caution with the situation, the sudden movement even caught Spade by surprise. The thief was delayed in his defense by taking time to push Andolyn out of harm's way. He pulled out a card just in time to have it poised at Willand's throat. The slight stinging between his ribs told Spade that he and Willand had reached an impasse. One with a blade to the throat, the other with one to the chest.

Barden, afraid to move and further endanger his best friend, stood frozen to his place where he'd rolled to dodge the attack.

Suddenly, Willand fell, clutching at his shoulder. A silver arrow was now bringing a steady stream of blood from the deep wound. Barden and Spade turned to see a breathless Andolyn running forward. In the confusion, she had been able to get back to the tent where she'd left her bow when Spade inadvertently pushed her toward it. She stood over Willand with another arrow set to the string, ready to fire, looking as fierce as any warrior the men had seen before.

“No more,” the princess’s hatred oozed from every word. “No More!!” she screamed with tears in her eyes. Willand knew the girl’s lack of experience in the killing arts, but he wasn’t too naïve to neglect knowing her skill as well. She didn’t have to miss him. The girl could just as easily have placed that arrow directly through his heart. This would be a battle for another day.

With his weapons on the ground, Willand stood and began to back away from Andolyn. Each step he took back, she took one forward, defending the men that stood in shock behind her.

Coming back to himself, Spade stepped up, "Tell your Master what's happened here, and warn him...Anthony Jenkins is returning from the shadows, and he's not alone..." Neither Barden nor Andolyn knew the significance of the words, but Spade's entire demeanor had changed back into the rarely seen man who took down the soldiers earlier that day.

“Run,” Andolyn hissed. That was something Willand didn’t need to be told more than once, and soon, he was gone.

Andolyn stood, trembling from head to toe, still poised and ready to attack again. Spade gave a meaningful glance in Barden’s direction. Simultaneously, the two men stepped forward. Spade laid his hand on the princess’s arm, lowering it, while Barden gently took the bow and arrow from her hands. Andolyn seemed to start as though waking from a distant nightmare. She rubbed her face, staring wide-eyed at the ground.

“I think I’d like to go back to sleep now,” she whispered. Overcome with shock and exhaustion, Andolyn swayed before collapsing into Spade’s arms. Barden moved in quickly and lifted the girl back into Spade’s tent and into the bed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After seeing that Andolyn was taken care of, the two young men sat back down on the log by the fire—this time keeping their guard up.

“She doesn’t even know us,” Barden shook his head. Spade looked at him, waiting on the explanation that always followed his friend’s comments. “She could have just run. She could have gotten away while he did away with us…but she didn’t.”

“She fought for us,” Spade stared thickly at the fire. Barden nodded. “There’s something special about her. I can’t put my finger on it yet, but it’s there.” Again, Barden nodded his agreement.

“Apparently she’s done something,” Barden wondered aloud. “Those weren’t your average soldiers after her today.”

Spade shook his head and sighed, remembering a long-ago happening, “I hate those men.” he raised a hand to stop the scolding that Barden was about to give him. “I know I know, it’s wrong to hate, but I can’t help it!” It was here that Spade stood and began pacing back and forth as he fumed. He argued almost with himself while Barden sat quietly waiting for him to finish.

“That girl,” Spade stopped and pointed at his tent, “what could that girl possibly have done to merit such threats?? Disgusting—absolutely foul. The things they would have done to her, Barden—if only I could get a hold of the rest of them—I’d take the whole monarchy down on my own!!” having released most of his frustration, Spade rejoined his friend on the log by the fire and stared blankly into the blaze. “And the worst part is…I let them get to her…I allowed them to hurt her, and then she turns around and saves my life.”

Barden didn’t look at Spade when he spoke, “At least you were there; I was asleep in the tent…” They both sighed heavily. Then Barden shook his head, “Do you realize that we’ve known this girl for less than two hours, and we’re already plotting to dethrone the Monarchy on her behalf?” Spade picked up the glass of ale he had been drinking during their meal and raised it slightly to the fire then toward his tent where the battered Andolyn slept in a silent toast before taking a long drink; Barden did likewise.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Andolyn woke three hours later to the sounds of her companions packing in the camp. She rubbed her bandaged hand; the pain was worse than anything she had experienced before. She wondered what was to become of her now. Would Spade and Barden wish her farewell? Would she be alone until she could find another safe haven? Andolyn’s thoughts were interrupted by the sound of Barden’s voice at the front of the tent.

“Should we wake her?” his hushed tone sounded reluctant to do so.

“No,” Spade’s silky voice answered, “it looks like she’s been through a lot—and not just today—let her sleep as long as she will. We can leave as soon as she wakes.” Andolyn smiled at her tenderhearted friends. She quietly lifted the flap of Spade’s tent and stood next to Barden.

“Well, good morning, Princess!” he sang. Andolyn’s heart skipped a beat.

They know! she thought frantically, but Spade’s lighthearted laugh let her know that this was simply her new pet-name.

The camp was now gone; the only sign that they had been there at all was Spade’s canvas tent that she had just exited. After watching her look around for a moment, Barden spoke.

“We need to leave,” Andolyn sensed a slight urgency in the words, but it was the look in Barden’s deep blue eyes that made her worry. “Spade really did a good job of making friends this morning from what he tells me. We’re afraid they might come back for a rematch.”

“And should that happen,” Spade chimed in with a tone that almost broke Andolyn’s heart, “we want you as far away from here as possible…” He eyed the girl’s bandaged hand with unbridled remorse in his eyes. She slid it out of his view without letting on as though she meant to.

Andolyn nodded thinking this was goodbye, “Where will I go?” She didn’t bother trying to sound brave. It was then that two long arms wrapped around her from behind as Barden spoke.

“There’s a town about a two day’s journey from here. We’ll make for that,” he paused here to give Andolyn a gentle squeeze, “don’t you worry, you’re ours now, and that means we keep you safe.” Andolyn glanced at Spade who nodded with a smile.

Now What?? Here is a mostly open decision point. I want to hear your thoughts. Should she stay with them and join their wandering for a time, or should she go out on her own? Other ideas?
D-Lotus

Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:02 am    Post subject:  

It's not clear to me why she let Willand go. Maybe in the bottom of her heart she has feelings for him? It was unwise, since he could have been captured. Now he still poses a threat.

I'd say she should follow them, but disguised. It is essential they find her a disguise.
Andolyn

Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject:  

Now, D...what's the point of wasting a perfectly good bad guy this early on? haha! i assure you she has no feelings for him...he scares her to death, but it's not her nature to kill unless she has to...if he would have attacked again, he'd be dead...but he did the smart thing and backed off. she's given him a good warning, and now she's not the only one who knows what to listen for when it comes to him. Andolyn knows him well enough to know he's a threat, but it will be awhile before he gets the courage to try anything again.
Vikas Muralidharan

Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject:  

Amazing chapter =)

And yes, even I was wonderin why they didnt capture/kill Willand when they had a chance, seeing that Spade does hate him as well. But, if you want to use him as a bad guy, thats fine, I guess...

I think she should stick around with her companions for a while... might be helpful to her.
Andolyn

Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject:  

i tweaked it just a bit...see if that helps with the issue of leaving him alive & letting him go. =)
misterbiz

Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject:  

Yeah...i agree with D. Disguise her and have her follow
PopeAlessandrosXVIII

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: I Think......  

Good chappy, much enjoyment! Yay! The hot Assassin lives! I actually have that
Pic you linked me to of him as my background right now. *Grin* I like bad guys.

So, the killing spark isn't in this one, eh? Nice touch. Many a hero/heroin fall to their
anger and angst when it comes to being hunted for so long, but the dear girl
seems to remain bright! I like.

Pokes, How do you stare thickly? That phrase made no sense....to me at lest. I
kinda got what you're trying to say, but....And a laugh conveying that she now has
a nickname. That part is a little to author omniciant for me.An either more
explained "Don't go giving her a nickname" or at least a little more explination
would help. And, less as a writing poke, but is there any way to fix the page
issue? Scrolling back and forth for each line is a pain....

Run! Run away and be an independantly self sufficiant female lead! I just had to
throw that in there! You can even have them chaseing her out of concern :P

I really think this is building up well! I can't wait to see more!
Vishal Muralidharan

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:04 am    Post subject:  

Good Job!

I will have to go with sticking with these people here. Don't go alone.
Thunderbird

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject:  

I voted for her to ambush the assassin by the way - lest ye underestimate me in the process of assuming I underestimate your heroine ;)

Still, this was very nicely delivered. The fight scene could've used a few more blow by blow's but that's just a style opinion I know not everyone shares. The impasse was fantastic though! I got a clear and vivid image there.

I, too, even after your tweak apparently, thought that not killing him was a foolish move. But it did say something about her character (and the other two could've pressed the fight as well but apparently Spade had a message to send and used the situation to his advantage in that regard.)

The DP is a bit soft on us because I can't logically see any cause, especially now, for her to go off on her own. But the suggestion of finding a disguise suits well. I add that the rest should disguise themselves as well, now that they've sent a message that who knows how quickly may be transmitted.
Ramol

Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject:  

I just read the whole thing and it is awesome!! o-) Spade and his slicing and dicing deck of cards are shweet! :D The characters are likeable in their own way.... even Willand. Yeah he's a bad dude, but he's humanized with his infatuation with Andolyn and therefore, I find myself slightly sympathetic toward him. It also makes me wonder if there's a chance of redemption for him somewhere down the road?? Probably not, with his lust of killing seeming to be his true love, but at least the small chance is there.

It seems that Andolyn would probably stick with the duo, but maybe she suggests something other than the town? Maybe she doesn't want anyone to track her there and put more people in danger? I don't know what alternative she might suggest other than running though the forest like Robin Hood, Little John and Maid Marian though. Just a thought.
crazybookgal

Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject:  

Awesome chapter!!!! and btw i notice everyone saying not killing willand is foolish. maybe it is but i think not killing him fits in with the character's nature. oh and may i point out that everyone saying that are(as far as i can tell) *cough*boys*cough* :lol:
Thunderbird

Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject:  

Well, cbg... I've played enough RPG with my wife to know that such a desire to defeat in finale anyone who has crossed her and is now at her mercy is not merely a masculine trait. Hell hath no fury you know...
Vishal Muralidharan

Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject:  

Thunderbird wrote: Well, cbg... I've played enough RPG with my wife to know that such a desire to defeat in finale anyone who has crossed her and is now at her mercy is not merely a masculine trait. Hell hath no fury you know...

:goodpost:
crazybookgal

Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject:  

lol i hope ur wife kicked ur butt
Andolyn

Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject:  

BAHAHA!!! i love you guys...
Thunderbird

Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject:  

Oh... she makes it nearly impossible to keep villains alive around her (they must have very good escape plans or they die - that simple - she shows 0 mercy.)
Andolyn

Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject:  

NOW POLLING!!!
Tikanni Corazon

Location: Running through the plains of my mind, my wolf spirit at my side (but doing so in the UK!).

Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject:  

*sigh* I really must start making more effort to read these new chapters before they go to poll! My apologies for the lateness, Andolyn. ;)

Again, I really enjoyed this chapter... or part 3 of a chapter, if I'm being accurate. I have to say, I don't think I would have been as kind as Andolyn, when it came to Willand. Would at least have let him go with a slightly more physical warning. :lol:

I agreed with D on the disguise thing too. Will be interesting to find ways to do so too, such as some natural source of dye for her hair, and other such things. So that is where my vote went.

Looking forward to the next one, which I will hopefully be in time for. ;) Good work!
Andolyn

Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject:  

Prince Radan paced impatiently around his chambers. The party he had sent after the princess had yet to report back to him, and he needed her dead. She knew far too much.

There was a knock on the large wooden door to which he replied, “Enter!” One of the soldiers that had been involved in the day’s events—the reluctant one, in the back—removed his hat and slid into the room without meeting the prince’s impatient glare. “Well, Gawain?” the prince demanded, “Did you take care of her? And where is Captain Darion?”

“The—the Captain…” stammered the man nervously, “You see, Milord, we were…caught by surprise…”

“What??” Prince Radan looked as though he would explode with anger.

“She—the princess, I mean—she had help! There was a young man with her. He killed the captain and two other men.”

“A…man…?” Radan turned to look out the window. “Who was this…man?”

“I know not, Majesty,” Sir Gawain stared at the floor, “He was nothing like I’ve ever seen before. He wielded four sided daggers with an inhuman speed, and when one of the men tried to attack the princess he got very angry—Lord, if you could have seen! It was like staring into the eyes of a demon!”

The prince’s mind was racing now. Who was this fantastic man that turned away his troop single handedly? Radan knew of only two with this ability, but it couldn’t be. They had both been absent from the Prince’s ever watchful radar for years—he believed them to have fled Ardara altogether.

“Now,” he mused, “This man of yours that attacked Andolyn…what became of that?”

The soldier looked up briefly before returning his gaze to the floor. “The young man struck him down with one of his daggers. Adaro only managed to cut the girl’s hand.” Gawain cowered slightly expecting another outburst from Radan. The response he actually received caught him off guard.

“Good…” Prince Radan stared out the window with a nasty smirk on his face. Confused, the soldier risked asking.

“Good, Milord?”

“Yes…very good,” the reply was a wicked hiss that unnerved the man standing at the door, “what the little princess and her new friend don’t realize is that I coated all of your weapons in a slow poison…” Sir Gawain looked questioningly at Radan, but the prince was too deep in his own thoughts to notice. “It’s extremely rare. It could take several months to fully take effect. In the next few days, she will notice that the wound isn’t healing as it should. She will probably blame it on a simple infection. Eventually though, the poison will begin to spread and will slowly kill her…” The soldier gazed at him in horror. The prince meant to make the girl suffer; he was torturing her. Radan turned to look at the solder who was frantically reevaluating his beliefs of the way his country was operating.

“Good work. Now go assemble my finest troops,” an evil grin crossed Radan’s face.

“That fool who’s helping her doesn’t know who he’s dealing with. I will have his head!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Ow…” Spade rubbed his neck, “I’ve got a headache all of a sudden…”

“Weird,” Barden shrugged. Darkness was covering the path as the sun set over the distant mountains. Andolyn rode quietly behind the young men debating on whether or not to reveal herself to them.

Somewhere around an hour after sunset, Barden pulled the small guitar Andolyn had suspected from one of his larger saddle bags. He tuned it and began a quick, joyous song. Spade bit his lip for a moment before venturing to speak.

“So, Moya,” the girl didn’t look up. “Where are you from?”

“I grew up in Bridlestrom,” she answered, and the conversation died there. Barden finished his song then passed the guitar to Spade who picked a slow, sad melody with no words. Barden looked over his shoulder at the mysterious young woman; having removed the hood, mustache, and wig Spade had in his "bag of tricks", she was staring out across a large meadow they were passing. He had found her attractive from the time of their meeting, but there in the light of the full moon, her beauty was profound.

The mist of the cool night caught in her blonde curls forming drops of dew that reflected the soft moonlight like the furthest, most precious stars in the night sky. Her pale skin shown faintly in the light, and her emerald eyes glittered like the Aldonean Seas. Barden punched Spade hard in the arm, then shushed him before he could protest and pointed at the silent girl. Spade turned too, and had to keep from gasping aloud. The dew in Andolyn’s hair caught his attention as well. He noticed the way several drops had accumulated around the top of her hair. Barden had jokingly referred to the girl as “Princess” earlier that day, but Spade was struck by how well that delicate crown of mist suited her. He noticed for the first time the way she carried herself; she possessed an air of regality that neither man had picked up on before that moment.

When Spade stopped playing, Andolyn began to hum softly. The two young men faced forward again and listened as, slowly, Andolyn’s humming turned to singing. Her voice was light, but it was pure and as clear as the night sky that revealed her beauty. Though the song was one that neither of them had heard, Spade found himself playing a simple accompaniment to it that grew into an intricately beautiful song of its own. It was as though he couldn’t control what he was doing.

Complementing her felt natural, and disrupting the beautiful sound they made together would have felt like a sin. The song was slow and hypnotic; even the wind in the trees seemed to be under some spell.

When their song had finished, Andolyn smiled, “that was fun.” Without a word, Spade handed the guitar back to Barden who simply stared at his friend in astonishment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was Andolyn who broke the few moments of silence this time. “How did you two end up together?” she asked, riding forward to where she was between the two.

“Well,” Barden began surprised that the girl was speaking voluntarily, “It’s nothing spectacular really. We were both roaming the countryside, ran into one another, and got along really well, so we decided to roam together and see what mischief we could stir up.” He laughed suddenly at a fond memory that had come to mind.

“Spade! Do you remember—“

“Shh!” Spade hissed. He stopped his horse and listened. “Horses; on the road behind us—there are a lot of them coming fast.”

“Radan’s men!” Andolyn’s eyes grew wide.

What do we do?? Do we make a stand? Do we all run? Does Barden distract the men since he's not been seen yet while the others make a getaway? Other options??
Vishal Muralidharan

Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject:  

I loved the chapter!

Our main characters didn't do too much in this chapter, but it set up the arrival of Radan's man. I don't think we should immediately assume that they are Radan's men. So, Barden should probably go out and decide if there's any danger.

Also, we decide a signal. Something like, three whistles = run. One whistle = Attack!! after Barden makes his choice.
misterbiz

Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject:  

Have Barden distract them...then run like hell
Thunderbird

Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject:  

I loved this chapter actually. Sure, the characters didn't DO much but that wasn't a problem at all imo. We got a very nicely delivered insight into the world of the Monarch and the emotional moments were extremely well written, imo. Everything was crystal clear and easy to absorb and envision.

They should probably make haste off the road and attempt to set up an ambush for any who dare follow them into the wild.
Vikas Muralidharan

Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject:  

I loved this chapter every bit except for that slow poison part... Something doesnt look right about that but cant put my finger on it :/

Anyway, I dont think we should have Barden distract them or something. We're forgetting he's one of the main characters too.... It'd suck if he got caught.

Not really, the story would be amazing then but I dont think ANYONE would want Barden to do that. Whatever these three do, they must do it together.
Tikanni Corazon

Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject:  

Another good chapter, Andolyn! And, yay! I actually managed to reply before it went to poll. ;)

I'm with Vikas. I really like Barden, and I wouldn't want anything to happen to him, just so that the others can escape. And, injured though he may be, Willand is still out there somewhere too. If either Andolyn and Spade, or Barden alone were to meet him again, it could also be dangerous.

I'm going to go with running at full speed, until they come to a point where they will be more hidden, and have the chance to lose those that pursue them (if they pursue them, could easily be a group of people out hunting for something other than our trio ;))

Good work, Andolyn, and I guess you've gotten to a point now where this SG should be stickied (which I hope I've done right, as it's my first time!), ready for the next spotlight. :)
Andolyn

Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject:  

i've officially been stickied! haha that's awesome! haha!
Thunderbird

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject:  

Good work to both Andolyn and Tika here! I think we may have a real contender for this competition -been thinking the new Spotlight should be starting soon.
Andolyn

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject:  

Now Polling!!
Mattheus

Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject:  

Really enjoying this story, can't wait to see what happens next. And I vote for running away, live to fight another day

:D
Andolyn

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject:  

looks like it's time to get the original up in Linear. ;) you'll have to give me a bit to rewrite this next chapter & it will be up! glad everyone is liking it!!
Andolyn

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject:  

"We need to get off the road," Barden's concern for Andolyn was evident, "Now!" Together, they headed for the side of the road, Spade turned. With a flourish, he whipped two smoke bombs out of his coat. He threw one with all his strength landing it a good ways off up the road. The other, he threw into the trees on the other side of the road.

"We need to distract them. If there's not a bigger sign, our tracks here will be evident," Spade's tone was dark. Barden had forgotten that his carefree friend's former life had been one where stealth and trickery kept him alive. Spade was slowly turning back into the man Barden had met all those years ago...

"You get her out of here," Barden ordered, "I'm going to stay and see what's going on." Spade gave him a look of concern and doubt. "Listen, they didn't see me earlier. Even if the spot me, I'm just a roaming bard!"

"I don't like it, Barden," but Spade's eyes found Andolyn. She waited patiently on her horse with a look of fear in her emerald eyes.

"She needs you," Barden spoke softer now, "Go, they'll be here any second."

Spade shook his head, then mounted his horse. He smacked Andolyn's mount before racing after her into the dark trees. Barden watched them go.

"Protect them," he whispered as Andolyn looked back over her shoulder.

Protect him. She prayed.

Crouched in the brush just behind a row of trees, Barden waited.

Soon enough, the soldiers rounded the bend in the road. Spade's trick had worked. They rode past the place where hoof prints marked their exit and studied the two smoky routes up the road.

"They can't be far ahead," the new captain barked. "These were recently set off." He stopped, thinking a moment. "You! Follow this trail into the woods. Mind your weapons, now! You know what the Prince did to them just for the occasion. The rest of you, with me! The princess and her companion must be found. They will not survive the night!!"

Barden waited several minutes before moving.He then followed the same course his friends had taken only moments before certain death would have found them. He tracked them fairly easily with the subtle markers Spade had left for him during their flight. The skilled young thief was crafty; the marks would have been unnoticeable had the duo not been the closest of friends.

Barden’s mind raced with the thoughts of who this beautiful young girl they were escorting could be. They had known from the beginning that she was something extraordinary but a princess? And what did the soldier mean about the prince tampering with the weapons? It was a lot for Barden’s tired mind to absorb.

From out of the cool mist Barden heard a low whistle that was Spade’s signal. He answered in like fashion. A thin form slowly made its way out from behind a tree.

“What happened back there?” Spade questioned.

“We've got big issues,” he looked meaningfully at Spade.

“Barden, what is it?” Spade caught the gravity his friend was trying to convey.

“It’s Moya. They want her dead…and you too for helping her…”

“Well we guessed that from them trying to run her through this morning didn’t we?”

“There’s more, but I’ll tell you when we get back to her. She hasn’t been alone this whole time has she?” Barden sat back up in the saddle trying to penetrate the darkness to catch a glimpse of the girl.

“She’s not too far,” Spade assured him, “There’s a small clearing just up ahead.”

~~~~~~~~~

Since building a fire was out of the question on this most bright of nights, Andolyn had gathered some nuts and berries from the surrounding area. While waiting for Spade to find Barden, she had also busied herself with setting the tents for her brave comrades. She might be a princess, but she hadn’t always been one. When she heard them coming through the trees, she stood and wiped her hands.

“I got us some food,” she said brightly, almost halfway finished with the first tent, “it isn’t much, but it will give us some energy...” she stopped when she saw Barden's downcast look. "They didn't hurt you did they?"

"No," he said quietly, "They didn't even know I was there."

Andolyn turned back to her work with her head bowed. “It’s time I tell you both something,” she began.

“Is it?” Barden asked quietly while tying his horse to a tree, “Princess?” Spade looked up suddenly at Andolyn wide eyed, waiting to see the girl’s reaction.

Andolyn stood perfectly still, but began trembling from head to toe. “The Captain said they were looking for a princess and her companion, and since Spade here doesn’t really look like the Princess type...”

Andolyn turned slowly and looked at Barden as though he’d just mortally wounded her. She opened her mouth as if to speak, but all words had been choked from her lungs. In the moonlight, the tears that began streaming down the sides of her face shown as rivers of silver.

“Moya…I—” Barden stepped toward her, instantly regretting his forcefulness.

“My name is Andolyn,” the princess whispered with her fists clenched and her eyes shut tight. She then stood tall, still with her fists clenched and threw back her head. The tears that dripped from her elevated chin glittered softly in the moonlight. “I was chosen to be the next queen of Ardara.” Barden and Spade fell to their knees while they looked on their “Princess” as the true sovereign that she was, but Andolyn was mortified by their gesture of respect.

“No no no!” she cried, rushing forward. She first took Barden’s, then Spade’s hands and pulled them to their feet. They looked at each other then faced Andolyn. “Please…” she held up a trembling hand and bowed her head. “As I said, I was chosen to be married to the Prince. At first it was a dream come true; Prince Radan was the loving, romantic man that every girl dreams of marrying. My family was thrilled that I would have a good life,” Andolyn made her way to the small sitting area she had made between the tents. When Spade and Barden had joined her, the reluctant princess continued.

“We were wrong though,” the hot tears pouring from those bright green eyes made the two men want to comfort her, but they weren’t sure exactly what to do for her. “The Prince didn’t love me at all. I was just his ticket to the throne, and otherwise I wasn’t good enough for him.”

“You were too good for him,” Barden corrected. Spade nodded his agreement and Andolyn offered a feeble laugh at their efforts. “That doesn’t seem to be much of a reason to hunt you down and kill you.”

“No,” Andolyn shook her head, “He’s hunting me because of what I know.” Her comrades looked at her with questions in their eyes. “I was exploring the castle one day as I often did, when I stumbled across the hall of records. I love history, and since I was going to rule the country one day, I saw no harm in doing a bit of research. What I found though would tear this country apart.” Now both men were leaning towards her in anticipation. “The Hallams are not the true rulers of Ardara. They took power years ago, and killed anyone who dared to protest, so now no one speaks of it. It’s a scandal that reaches from the smallest cottage to the very roots of the Monarchy, and only the oldest of the old know who the true rulers were. The Hallams killed them all and anyone who was loyal to them.”

Spade, uncomfortably familiar with the story remained in thoughtful silence, but Barden was sure his brain must be leaking out of his ears by now from the massive explosion that was consuming every idea he had ever thought about his homeland. “Wait—so if the Hallams are not the true royal family…who is?”

Andolyn sighed in frustration, “And now we come to the most difficult part. You see, Radan’s little henchmen told him where I had been for so long and he got suspicious. He caught me before I had a chance to see that part. Fortunately, with the help of my best friends Roselyn and Ebony and a few of the servants who were more loyal to me than to him I managed to escape. I’ve been on the run for over a year now, and I think it’s time I stopped.”

“What do you mean to do?” Barden eyed her with concern.

The princess stood, pacing slowly around in a circle. “I mean to find a way back to Darbinshire, infiltrate the castle, break into the hall of records, see who the true rulers are, and hopefully escape with some good information…and my life…”

What do we do now? Do Barden & Spade follow her into danger or let her go alone? Do they try to talk her out of it? Other options?

Storygames Home -> Storygames: Fantasy Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8